Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 69572 times)

CossRooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
The HD 4:3 thread
« on: April 14, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »
Making a thread to collect examples of people using modern HD cameras to shoot fisheye/longlens in a 4:3 aspect ratio.  I think it's great because it preserves the closeness you can achieve with a square frame and wide fisheye, with all the benefits of HD (high resolution, 60fps framerate, digital workflow, not relying on a 25+ year old piece of equipment). Definitely not the only way to do things, and I still love VX, but this is some cool shit and a cool way forward.

Please reply with links to other examples of people doing this!

FilmmakerNameYearLink
James Messina / Russell HoughtenNew Balance Numeric - VX40002015Link
Sean LomaxDom Henry | Live Skateboard Media Edit2015
Sean LomaxThe Cottonopolis Video2019Link
James CruickshankGrey Skate Mag - Blend 2015Link
James CruickshankGrey Skate Mag - Tarte au Citron2017Link
James CruickshankGrey Skate Mag - Pastel2018Link
James CruickshankGrey Skate Mag - Uphill2018Link
Ben Ericson / Nolan WilsonThe Killing Floor - Josh Anderson Pro 2016Link
Colin HeindelEnergy - New Rules2016Link
Colin HeindelEnergy - The Energy Video2016Link
ManoloThe Courthouse Video2017Link
Sami El HassaniPop Trading Company - 4:32017Link
Sami El HassaniPop Trading Company - 4:3 Antwerpen2018Link
Sami El HassaniPop Trading Company - 4:3 #032019Link
Chris Mulhernadidas Skateboarding presents /// MAGNUS2018Link
Chris Mulhernadidas Skateboarding presents /// HEITOR2019Link
PJ ChapuisRave Skateboards' "153 Rue Du Palais Gallien"2019Link

Also a few examples posted by filmer SLAP pals:

natenola forever - Preservation Board Co. - Johnny Romano Skate Jam Weekend Edit (2013)

ice nine - Cutting Test Trailer (2016)

Honorable Mention:

RB Umali - Panasonic GH5 4:3 Anamorphic VX Mode NYC Skateboarding Footage (2017)

dudesarecool5
Gnarly setups from this guy. He's obviously going for something way zanier than a VX1000 replacement

Street Video (2013), Street Video 2 (2016)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:47:44 PM by CossRooper »

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 11:10:16 PM »
That GH5 footage from RB is incredible
wash uffize drive me to firenze

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 12:35:44 AM »
There was some Canon DSLR 480p 4:3 mode footage in the Polar video too. I think you've already listed the main ones. I'm currently filming 4:3 HD on my camera too, really feelin it.

The only downside is that you have to be a bit more wary when filming long lens and not let the skater get too close to the edge of the frame because if they do and you chop it to 4:3 you may end up cutting them off a bit. Definitely not a fan of 60p though, feels like I'm watching a video game or a sports replay.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:25:00 AM by tzhangdox »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 12:42:34 AM »
Killed it with this one. Pretty sure the "vx4000" was the first video I saw that was doing the 4:3. After that I have fallen in love with it.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 01:29:55 AM »
Just put together a few 4:3 HD fisheye clips I had on my computer if anybody is curious.

4:3 HD Fisheye. Olympus E-M5 ii Lensbaby 5.8mm

For any filmers that may be trying to create this look without shelling out on a full frame camera or an expensive adapter and the Canon 8-15mm fisheye, any micro 4/3 camera that shoots video with a 2x crop factor (pana g7, gh3, gh4 etc) and the Lensbaby 5.8mm fisheye is a relatively affordable combo that is perfect for this look. The vig is a bit soft so you'll need to apply an overlay but that's not a big deal. Edges have a bit more fringing than the $1000 Canon fisheye but for the price it can't be beat. Definitely the cheapest way to recreate the HD VX look that I'm aware of.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:32:36 AM by tzhangdox »

deltronico

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 04:08:01 AM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wujs9uIIQc
This is just a test but I think I achieved a pretty close thing to a Vx Hd look. One thing it lacks to every other camera is good sound. People should try to EQ their audio in order to get better skate sounds. I am not saying mine is perfect neither...

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 10:56:32 AM »
This is just a test but I think I achieved a pretty close thing to a Vx Hd look. One thing it lacks to every other camera is good sound. People should try to EQ their audio in order to get better skate sounds. I am not saying mine is perfect neither...

Wow that looks amazing. What setup are you using?

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
James Cruickshank is doing it right. Everyone should copy whatever he's doing

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 02:09:08 PM »

yea this looked really good. the homie even had a fresh tat haha. sick d

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 02:09:51 PM »
Just put together a few 4:3 HD fisheye clips I had on my computer if anybody is curious.

4:3 HD Fisheye. Olympus E-M5 ii Lensbaby 5.8mm

For any filmers that may be trying to create this look without shelling out on a full frame camera or an expensive adapter and the Canon 8-15mm fisheye, any micro 4/3 camera that shoots video with a 2x crop factor (pana g7, gh3, gh4 etc) and the Lensbaby 5.8mm fisheye is a relatively affordable combo that is perfect for this look. The vig is a bit soft so you'll need to apply an overlay but that's not a big deal. Edges have a bit more fringing than the $1000 Canon fisheye but for the price it can't be beat. Definitely the cheapest way to recreate the HD VX look that I'm aware of.

god damn this also might be my favorite. The vig looks perfect. I dig it

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 02:56:37 PM »

That's probably my main complaint of HD filming, or any non-VX stuff really: the sound of skateboarding captured on a VX is unparalleled--it just sounds right. It's blown out, kind of tinny sounding: simply put, it just sounds raw.

I know that's such a nit-picky thing to hone in on, but that shit matters to me, especially after being conditioned to VX footage for the past twenty years or whatever.

That newest Grey Magazine edit is a great example of this. That footage was soooooo great and filmed so well, probably my favorite edit of 2017 so far, but it just sounds weak.

Any of that fisheye footage would sound blazing with a VX, but give it a listen, 2:05, 2:30, 2:55, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8o3c--C1tU
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's probably my main complaint of HD filming, or any non-VX stuff really: the sound of skateboarding captured on a VX is unparalleled--it just sounds right. It's blown out, kind of tinny sounding: simply put, it just sounds raw.

I know that's such a nit-picky thing to hone in on, but that shit matters to me, especially after being conditioned to VX footage for the past twenty years or whatever.

That newest Grey Magazine edit is a great example of this. That footage was soooooo great and filmed so well, probably my favorite edit of 2017 so far, but it just sounds weak.

Any of that fisheye footage would sound blazing with a VX, but give it a listen, 2:05, 2:30, 2:55, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8o3c--C1tU

Absolutely agree with this. I'm pretty sure that modern camcorders and shotgun mics have objectively better audio quality than that of the vx1000, but vx1000 audio just sounds so fucking right for skating. One shotgun mic for those who film on DSLRs that I thought recreated vx audio fairly well is the Sony MS907/MS908c. It's pretty cheap but hard to find, definitely wouldn't wanna use it for anything besides skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDlqLY740Ts I believe miguel valle used it in this clip, the music is kinda loud so you can't hear it that well, still a little more bassy than vx1000 audio but definitely closer to the vx effect than anything else I've heard in recent times.

Sorry for going off track.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
For sure, I guarantee the mics on modern cams are incredible at capturing "true" sound, but that piece of shit they stuck on the VX is one charming bastard because of how crazy it and distinct it sounds. I love it.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 03:38:43 PM »
I've been working on a video that's HD 4:3, here's a few example clips. There's some color grading issues but I don't feel like fucking with it right now.

Canon XA20, Century MkI Fisheye, Rode VideoMic Pro.

I shoot fully zoomed out, then import the footage to a 1440x1080 timeline, and scale the video up to about 130%.

HD 4:3

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »
I've been working on a video that's HD 4:3, here's a few example clips. There's some color grading issues but I don't feel like fucking with it right now.

I shoot fully zoomed out, then import the footage to a 1440x1080 timeline, and scale the video up to about 130%.

Funnily after the previous few posts I made, I think that mic sounds pretty good. Really cool stuff.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Funnily after the previous few posts I made, I think that mic sounds pretty good. Really cool stuff.

Rode VideoMic Pro is the go-to affordable shotgun mic for most people. That and the Sennheiser MKE400 are great for skate audio. For those who can't afford it, the Rode VideoMicro is the cheaper version of the VideoMic Pro, 1/4 of the price, far smaller and doesn't take a battery. Sounds a bit tinnier and theres a little more hiss, but hiss isn't really an issue with skate audio as skateboards are bloody loud. The clips above I posted were with the VideoMicro, definitely not as good but cuts it for most people.

deltronico

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 03:59:39 PM »
I think canon makes the worst mics ever or the worst digital converters. And that classic  gl1 camera is the biggest piece of crap ever created.
One way to achieve a good audio sound is to try to saturate a little bit in manual mode. Eq a little bit bumping mid and high frequencies and lowering the volume. I hate when you watch a HD clip of somebody grinding a rail and it sounds like a fart prffffff

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 04:00:55 PM »
hd 4:3 30p = the way it should be.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 04:01:45 PM »

How do you like the XA20? If I ever made the switch to camcorder I'd probably get the XA20 due to the form factor. If you film 4:3, is there any way to achieve a similar look without having to scale up the video in post? What happens if you just shoot a bit more zoomed in? Also, what does XA20 MK1 footage look like in 16:9? Cheers.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks! I have the VideoMic set to the -10 db setting, with the High Pass Filter on. There may be a better setting for skate audio, but it sounds good to me so I've just stuck with that.

On the subject of on-board mics, the XA20s is garbage. You would think a $2k video camera would have decent audio. It sounds TERRIBLE. Super tinny. The VideoMic sounds about a million times better.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks! I have the VideoMic set to the -10 db setting, with the High Pass Filter on. There may be a better setting for skate audio, but it sounds good to me so I've just stuck with that.

On the subject of on-board mics, the XA20s is garbage. You would think a $2k video camera would have decent audio. It sounds TERRIBLE. Super tinny. The VideoMic sounds about a million times better.

I'm not sure if it's the case with camcorders, but if you're curious it may be worth a try. With most DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, the built in pre-amp is terrible compared to the pre-amp in the VideoMic Pro, so with the VideoMic Pro the best approach was to set it to +20dB, or as high as you can while minimising the gain level in the actual camera. That way you're minimising the impact the shitty pre-amp has while relying more on the pre-amp in the videomic pro. It made a slight improvement when I was using my friends Videomic pro a while back. But then again I'm not sure if the built in pre-amp in the xa20 would suck as hard as the ones in DSLRs so I may have said all this for nothing.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How do you like the XA20? If I ever made the switch to camcorder I'd probably get the XA20 due to the form factor. If you film 4:3, is there any way to achieve a similar look without having to scale up the video in post? What happens if you just shoot a bit more zoomed in? Also, what does XA20 MK1 footage look like in 16:9? Cheers.

I really like the XA20. The form factor is great, it's a pretty tiny camera too.

I'm not sure of another way to achieve the cropped 4:3 than using the method I described. I use FCPX, may be able to do something differently, just not sure.

And here's what XA20/MkI looks like at 16:9, with the in-camera zoom set to leave just a bit of vig at the corners. I like that look as well, but it's hard to get as close as I want without chopping heads or wheels. That aspect ratio just leaves lots of negative space. When 16:9 is done with one of those Century Extreme HD lenses it looks great, but I'm not willing to drop $3500 on one.

Into the Fog / In the Life Zone

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 04:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not sure if it's the case with camcorders, but if you're curious it may be worth a try. With most DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, the built in pre-amp is terrible compared to the pre-amp in the VideoMic Pro, so with the VideoMic Pro the best approach was to set it to +20dB, or as high as you can while minimising the gain level in the actual camera. That way you're minimising the impact the shitty pre-amp has while relying more on the pre-amp in the videomic pro. It made a slight improvement when I was using my friends Videomic pro a while back. But then again I'm not sure if the built in pre-amp in the xa20 would suck as hard as the ones in DSLRs so I may have said all this for nothing.

thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely give it a shot.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I really like the XA20. The form factor is great, it's a pretty tiny camera too.

I'm not sure of another way to achieve the cropped 4:3 than using the method I described. I use FCPX, may be able to do something differently, just not sure.

And here's what XA20/MkI looks like at 16:9, with the in-camera zoom set to leave just a bit of vig at the corners. I like that look as well, but it's hard to get as close as I want without chopping heads or wheels. That aspect ratio just leaves lots of negative space. When 16:9 is done with one of those Century Extreme HD lenses it looks great, but I'm not willing to drop $3500 on one.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it would be like that, it seems that the mk1/its opteka counterpart just weren't made for 16:9 footage. Does leave a bit of dead space on the sides but still looks quite good. The xa20 looks real good to use, but the colours look a bit warm/magenta tint, did you try to go to that look or is that just the colour palette of the camera?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 04:31:16 PM by tzhangdox »

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 04:33:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it would be like that, it seems that the mk1/its opteka counterpart just weren't made for 16:9 footage. Does leave a bit of dead space on the sides but still doesn't look too bad. The xa20 looks real good to use, but the colours look a bit warm/magenta tint, did you try to go to that look or is that just the colour palette of the camera?

The colors are warm, but it's because I usually shoot with the "shade" white balance preset. I think I set it to that one day and it looked nice and warm to me and I just did that ever since.

I really should spend more time tweaking settings, but i'm a bit lazy and it's hard for me to remember to fuck with it.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 05:21:17 PM »

you put an mk1 screw on that baby?

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 01:28:26 AM »
Ben Ericson does it best. I also really enjoyed James Cruikshank's "blend" video for Grey.
And let's not forgot dudesarecool5 is so enjoyable
I'd really like to see more and more people utilize HD in 4:3. It's the perfect balance and skate videos aren't meant to be so wide. People on skateboards are a narrow, vertical thing.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 02:09:35 AM »
Ben Ericson does it best. I also really enjoyed James Cruikshank's "blend" video for Grey.
And let's not forgot dudesarecool5 is so enjoyable
I'd really like to see more and more people utilize HD in 4:3. It's the perfect balance and skate videos aren't meant to be so wide. People on skateboards are a narrow, vertical thing.

Ericson is a very good filmer. damn I knew i was forgetting to link a video. blend is so good

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you put an mk1 screw on that baby?

Indeed. Crazy thing is that the lens fits onto the camera with less than 1mm clearance from the mic/handle. I wrote to both Canon and Schneider/Century for measurements before I bought anything, and I'm really glad it fit.

I'm happy with the setup too, been using it for a couple years now.