Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 69551 times)

stayfalse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 02:18:14 PM »
James Cruickshank is doing it right. Everyone should copy whatever he's doing
Seriously. Every other HD 4:3 clip looks flawed in some way other than his edits

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2017, 06:47:30 PM »
Stoked at all the replies so far,  these are all super good examples and discussion. Thanks everyone.

+1 that most glaring issue with this is the audio... nothing comes close to the crunchiness of the VX mic.

THIS

Yes! Forgot you were doing these. Still like the one you did with all the dubbed out skate sounds:

1835 Stoner Ave

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »
If anyone has a vig overlay I can use, please send a DM. Thank you

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been working on a video that's HD 4:3, here's a few example clips. There's some color grading issues but I don't feel like fucking with it right now.

Canon XA20, Century MkI Fisheye, Rode VideoMic Pro.

I shoot fully zoomed out, then import the footage to a 1440x1080 timeline, and scale the video up to about 130%.

HD 4:3
[close]

you put an mk1 screw on that baby?
[close]

Indeed. Crazy thing is that the lens fits onto the camera with less than 1mm clearance from the mic/handle. I wrote to both Canon and Schneider/Century for measurements before I bought anything, and I'm really glad it fit.

I'm happy with the setup too, been using it for a couple years now.

damn that is so sick. I fuck with that set up hard dude

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 12:47:53 PM »
If anyone has a vig overlay I can use, please send a DM. Thank you

Check your DM's i got the mk1 vig, that goes for anyone else!

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-_5uEMm00xPRVF3NFpraElmR1E

For whoever else that wants it, here is the 4:3 mk1 vig that I use, as seen in the sample footage I posted in the last page.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »
Stoked at all the replies so far,  these are all super good examples and discussion. Thanks everyone.

+1 that most glaring issue with this is the audio... nothing comes close to the crunchiness of the VX mic.

Expand Quote
THIS
[close]

Yes! Forgot you were doing these. Still like the one you did with all the dubbed out skate sounds:

1835 Stoner Ave

Thanks dude! it's not dubbed actually just a bunch of filters.

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »
What are good/cheap DSLRs I can create that VX look with the Lensbaby fisheye?
I seriously have no clue about DSLRs since I am still filming with MiniDV but I am pretty stoked of the footage here!
also: Does anybody know which setup James Cruickshank uses?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:04:39 PM by Marsellus Wallace »

alex horton

• Rep: 0
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 11:02:57 AM »

Expand Quote

[close]

Absolutely agree with this. I'm pretty sure that modern camcorders and shotgun mics have objectively better audio quality than that of the vx1000, but vx1000 audio just sounds so fucking right for skating. One shotgun mic for those who film on DSLRs that I thought recreated vx audio fairly well is the Sony MS907/MS908c. It's pretty cheap but hard to find, definitely wouldn't wanna use it for anything besides skating.

Sorry for going off track.

Newer cameras actually have pretty shitty stock mics. This is because they know most people are going to use some sort of external mic that wouldn't be practical to put on as a standard mic for cost and affordability reasons.

That sony external mic is the closest i have heard to the vx. The amp in the vx is what makes it special though, so it will be tough recreating the perfect vx sound.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 04:04:20 PM »
What are good/cheap DSLRs I can create that VX look with the Lensbaby fisheye?
I seriously have no clue about DSLRs since I am still filming with MiniDV but I am pretty stoked of the footage here!
also: Does anybody know which setup James Cruickshank uses?

I believe Cruickshank uses a Sony a7 variant or the 5d mk3 with the Canon 8-15mm fisheye. I could be wrong. For the lensbaby fisheye, you need a micro 4/3 camera, a very good and fairly affordable option would be the panasonic g7 or gh3.

S_Pepperoni

• Rep: -1
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
Thought  I would give this a try - It's not skating, but it's this only footage I've got since i got the canon 8-15

Sony A7S
Canon 8-15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvU04MnmyA&feature=youtu.be

Cheers :)

Statebird

• Rep: 46
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 11:14:33 AM »
switching to HD is starting to get very tempting...

what kinda of handle set up are you guys using?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 12:26:22 PM »
switching to HD is starting to get very tempting...

what kinda of handle set up are you guys using?

Never filmed HD and prob won't but I have always heard great things about the eazy handle. I think they have a version 1 and a version 2? but those things run for like 300$ I think. I remember that they were kind of hard to get a hold of a few years ago. But don't buy the shitty opteka one off amazon. Might as well toss your dslr into the trash can.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »
1-2 1-2

lil birthday thing i did for my friend, using his own music

also used the vx overlay from parker, thanks again!

I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2017, 11:11:17 AM »
1-2 1-2

psyched it worked out! Looks sick

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
THIS
[close]

1835 Stoner Ave
[close]

Thanks dude! it's not dubbed actually just a bunch of filters.

lol bad choice of words... I meant dub as in "dub" fx as in dub music... chained reverbs and delays and shit. Either way stoked on it.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
Expand Quote
1-2 1-2

[close]

psyched it worked out! Looks sick

wow, thats rad. how did you make this?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2017, 09:03:36 PM »
1-2 1-2

Looks great, what's the setup? I personally don't think you need the vig overlay though. The natural, slightly less prominent vig in your previous video 'cutting test trailer' looks perfect already.

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2017, 06:19:16 AM »

I couldn't disagree more.  I think anyone who plays back footage at 60 frames per second is doing it catastrophically wrong.  That goes for a few videos in the thread.  It looks terrible.  The human eye naturally has motion blur, so should footage.  Straying from 30 frames (eg. which is the frame rate of all vx footage) or 24 is just plain stupid.  A lot of filmers film in 60fps for the option of smooth slow mo, but the final edit is usually outputed at 30fps.

To me it's like watching a movie on a TV with a high refresh rate, where it just makes up new frames to make the motion look smoother.  It's the worst.  I don't know why, but people always seem to forget the importance of frame rate.  Keep in mind that if you have fully flared on DVD, you are watching a video that is entirely standard def.  They filmed the b-roll with an HD camera but the final output was SD.   The reason why the "HD" footage looked so different, wasn't the resolution, it was primarily the frame rate.  I'd even go further and say I dislike when cinematic B-roll is outputed in 30fps (eg. Propeller).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:32:27 AM by EmilioBestevez »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
Expand Quote
1-2 1-2

[close]

Looks great, what's the setup? I personally don't think you need the vig overlay though. The natural, slightly less prominent vig in your previous video 'cutting test trailer' looks perfect already.

thanks

my setup is canon 6d with sennheiser MKE 400 mic, and canon 8-15mm fisheye with the fish set at 12mm for 4:3 filming.

Also thanks for the feedback on the vig overlay. I made the overlay that I used for the trailer, as the natural one on the canon lens is way too soft and looks shitty. I like the idea of the vx1000 one but in reality I agree with you, it kinda looks weird with the vx overlay.
Trying to decide which way to go for my full video ???

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
1-2 1-2

[close]

[close]

thanks

my setup is canon 6d with sennheiser MKE 400 mic, and canon 8-15mm fisheye with the fish set at 12mm for 4:3 filming.

Also thanks for the feedback on the vig overlay. I made the overlay that I used for the trailer, as the natural one on the canon lens is way too soft and looks shitty. I like the idea of the vx1000 one but in reality I agree with you, it kinda looks weird with the vx overlay.

The main reason I use vig overlay on my footage is because the lensbaby vig flares like a bitch 70% of the time and the vig looks almost white sometimes. That isn't an issue on the 8-15mm. The overlay you used seems like a little too much vig for the amount of distortion. I personally wouldn't worry about the vig in your trailer video looking a bit soft, part of the whole large sensor camera look is a shallower depth of field. Because your lens would be focused at around infinity for filming, I would go as far as saying that razor sharp vignetting looks a little unnatural as things that close to the sensor shouldn't be 100% in focus.

Then again, this is just my personal opinion. Definitely do what you think is best, can't really go wrong either way.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2017, 03:49:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I couldn't disagree more.  I think anyone who plays back footage at 60 frames per second is doing it catastrophically wrong.  That goes for a few videos in the thread.  It looks terrible.  The human eye naturally has motion blur, so should footage.  Straying from 30 frames (eg. which is the frame rate of all vx footage) or 24 is just plain stupid.  A lot of filmers film in 60fps for the option of smooth slow mo, but the final edit is usually outputed at 30fps.

To me it's like watching a movie on a TV with a high refresh rate, where it just makes up new frames to make the motion look smoother.  It's the worst.  I don't know why, but people always seem to forget the importance of frame rate.  Keep in mind that if you have fully flared on DVD, you are watching a video that is entirely standard def.  They filmed the b-roll with an HD camera but the final output was SD.   The reason why the "HD" footage looked so different, wasn't the resolution, it was primarily the frame rate.  I'd even go further and say I dislike when cinematic B-roll is outputed in 30fps (eg. Propeller).

This. Whenever I see a skate video uploaded in 60p on YouTube I have to down the resolution to 480p which is played at 30p so I don't have to suffer through the 60p which honestly just looks like a sports replay or video game. Though I disagree about the 30p B-roll, because the majority of the video will be skating, which suits 30p output best and I'm not too big a fan of mixing 24p and 30p then outputting to 30p.

Speedway

• Rep: 108
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2017, 04:29:29 PM »
'O-ONE FUCKIN' SIX-ONE'

Manchester scene video/Black Sheep Skate Store video by Isaac Wilkinson - all filmed HD 4:3.

Not the whole video but here's most of the parts.

Ricky Davidson O-ONE FUCKIN’ SIX-ONE Part | TransWorld SKATEboarding

Jiri Bulin #01FUCKIN61 - Sidewalk Magazine

Seb Batty #01FUCKIN61 - Grey Skateboard Magazine

Josh Bentley - #01FUCKIN61

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
1-2 1-2

[close]

[close]

thanks

[close]

The main reason I use vig overlay on my footage is because the lensbaby vig flares like a bitch 70% of the time and the vig looks almost white sometimes. That isn't an issue on the 8-15mm. The overlay you used seems like a little too much vig for the amount of distortion. I personally wouldn't worry about the vig in your trailer video looking a bit soft, part of the whole large sensor camera look is a shallower depth of field. Because your lens would be focused at around infinity for filming, I would go as far as saying that razor sharp vignetting looks a little unnatural as things that close to the sensor shouldn't be 100% in focus.

Then again, this is just my personal opinion. Definitely do what you think is best, can't really go wrong either way.

yea its kinda pedantic on my part but i just want it to look as good as possible. i think the vig in the trailer is barely any bigger than the natural vig from the 8-15 lens.

for this lil edit i used the natural vig from the 8-15

gavins birthday bash

its not as bad as a lens flare but it doesn't look good to me.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
1-2 1-2

[close]

[close]

thanks

[close]

[close]

yea its kinda pedantic on my part but i just want it to look as good as possible. i think the vig in the trailer is barely any bigger than the natural vig from the 8-15 lens.

gavins birthday bash

This is night footage, so you probably had your aperture set to f4 or something as opposed to say f11 during the day? Thats probably why the vig is a bit fuzzier than natural 8-15mm vig when the lens is stopped down more. Quite the dilemma. Perhaps a solution would be to edit the vig template in premiere pro and decrease its sharpness/add a little blur to the vig? So thats its not razor sharp but not blurry. I might try that sometime actually, could work for my footage too.

EDIT:
Tried a slightly blurred version of the vig overlay. Here's a clip comparing the different settings. First one is no overlay, second one is with the mk1 overlay I shared a few posts up, last one is with the overlay with gaussian blur(premiere pro) set to about 6 or 7, can be adjusted in scale and degree to whatever you think is best. I think the 3rd one is pretty ideal, not unnaturally razor sharp but still very well defined, can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. Maybe it could work for your footage too.

em5-ii lensbaby 5.8mm vig setting comparison
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:35:24 PM by tzhangdox »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2017, 06:17:49 PM »
lol thats exactly what i did, the one for my trailer has an overlay i made in final cut pro, with a slight blur on the edges. and yea i agree it looks best.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
lol thats exactly what i did, the one for my trailer has an overlay i made in final cut pro, with a slight blur on the edges. and yea i agree it looks best.

I see, I thought that one was the real 8-15mm vig when the lens was stopped down haha.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2017, 07:04:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
1-2 1-2

[close]

[close]

thanks

[close]

[close]

gavins birthday bash

[close]

This is night footage, so you probably had your aperture set to f4 or something as opposed to say f11 during the day? Thats probably why the vig is a bit fuzzier than natural 8-15mm vig when the lens is stopped down more. Quite the dilemma. Perhaps a solution would be to edit the vig template in premiere pro and decrease its sharpness/add a little blur to the vig? So thats its not razor sharp but not blurry. I might try that sometime actually, could work for my footage too.

EDIT:
Tried a slightly blurred version of the vig overlay. Here's a clip comparing the different settings. First one is no overlay, second one is with the mk1 overlay I shared a few posts up, last one is with the overlay with gaussian blur(premiere pro) set to about 6 or 7, can be adjusted in scale and degree to whatever you think is best. I think the 3rd one is pretty ideal, not unnaturally razor sharp but still very well defined, can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. Maybe it could work for your footage too.

what settings are you using to compress this to 4:3?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2017, 07:24:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
1-2 1-2

[close]

[close]

thanks

[close]

[close]

gavins birthday bash

[close]

EDIT:

[close]

what settings are you using to compress this to 4:3?

I just film 1080 60p as usual and import into a 1440x1080 30p timeline.

deltronico

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »
Lumix Gx80 with Meike 6.5 Fisheye

Here is another option, pretty similar to tzhangdox?s option. Is a quick test filmed with a Lumix Gx80(micro 4/3) that has no mic input. So it is recorded with the internal Mic which is the worst microphone ever made.

The fisheye is a Meike 6.5 (149$) pretty affordable price.