Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171638 times)

Chega

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #301 on: March 07, 2019, 05:58:49 PM »
damn, now I'm going to spend more money on shoes...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

coneklr

« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2019, 06:28:31 PM »
Been vegan about 5 months now ... first time rolling into this thread ... I got jokingly called out on my leather busenitz today, maybe it's time I look further than food.

Side note, what are everyone's thoughts on second hand leather products?

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2019, 07:48:30 PM »
Been vegan about 5 months now ... first time rolling into this thread ... I got jokingly called out on my leather busenitz today, maybe it's time I look further than food.

Full disclosure:  Im wearing suede shoes and a leather belt as i type this, I havnt gone full vegan with clothing but I am conscious of it and try to be better.

I've been vegan about 2 years now, and in my opinion second hand leather is fine but I also dont go out of my way to buy it.  If its a leather jacket or something it seems weird because its still promoting leather as a fashion which will influence more people to buy new ones, regardless of you thrifting yours or not. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #304 on: March 08, 2019, 12:26:54 AM »

welcome to the dark side! good question, personally I don't wear/ buy leather but yes, synthetic PVC is terrible for the environment so I can understand people's aversion to it. For non-skate stuff I tend to buy high-end vegan microfibre stuff because it lasts and breaks down similar to animal hides. Having said that, I have a pair of Doctor Marten boots back at my parents house in Sydney that are over 20 years old that I'm not going to throw out until they disintegrate. If a second-hand leather jacket will last you 20+ years then I think that that's better than purchasing 15 PVC jackets and throwing them away when they start to peel.

Skate shoes though, I'm not so convinced - back in the tech-shoe days nearly 80% of those shoes were synth and they lasted just as long as their animal counterparts. Ryan Lay's shoe refuses to die and eS is on point with their current vegan models too. Synth tends not to bag out as much either. Either way, when you're transitioning I think it's fine and if you do end up getting more life out of suede shoes then perhaps it's less wasteful to stick with them?

But do remember the moment you turn vegan both fellow vegans and carnivores will start calling you on your shit so you better at least come up with a stance you can justify when someone asks you for the 60th time if your wallet is also vegan...

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #305 on: March 08, 2019, 12:42:01 AM »
If you want to be completely technical about veganism, buying vegan shoes isn't really 100% vegan. All of these products where shipped from a factory using fossil fuels. Just saying.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #306 on: March 08, 2019, 12:46:49 AM »
If you want to be completely technical about veganism, buying vegan shoes isn't really 100% vegan. All of these products where shipped from a factory using fossil fuels. Just saying.
I think you need to go and reread the actual OG definition of veganism before you come in here all "just saying"

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #307 on: March 08, 2019, 01:17:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think you need to go and reread the actual OG definition of veganism before you come in here all "just saying"

Did I strike a nerve or what? Really, where does this all end? I'll read whatever you'd like. I love filling up on information.

PVC, which is used to make canvas, has been mentioned. Polyvinyl Chloride is made from crude oil. So, the same applies here.

Point me in the direction of reading material so I can better understand this all. If I find that I'm wrong, I'll admit it. As far as I'm aware, vegan means absolutely no animal products.
The streets await

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #308 on: March 10, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Did I strike a nerve or what? Really, where does this all end? I'll read whatever you'd like. I love filling up on information.

PVC, which is used to make canvas, has been mentioned. Polyvinyl Chloride is made from crude oil. So, the same applies here.

Point me in the direction of reading material so I can better understand this all. If I find that I'm wrong, I'll admit it. As far as I'm aware, vegan means absolutely no animal products.

I was unaware that crude oil is a product of animal exploitation.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Front Crunt

« Reply #309 on: March 10, 2019, 07:10:57 PM »
Here's an article that ran in Transworld back in 2003 - https://skateboarding.transworld.net/news/soles-without-souls/.

“It’s a money issue, of course,” shares Dylan Raasch, a footwear designer at DC Shoe Co. Virtually all skate shoes are manufactured in Asia. Considering that, import taxes in the U.S. play a big role in the shoe’s material makeup. Raasch explains that the shoe has to be approximately 70-percent leather. “If it doesn’t meet that you have to pay a duty fee, that puts the shoe up another eight dollars at retail,” he says.

Justin Regan, the Emerica team manager, seems to agree with Raasch: “Synthetic shoes become more expensive down the line than their leather or suede counterparts due to international materials duties. From a manufacturer’s standpoint, it means we’re less likely to use synthetics than leathers in order to keep our shoes priced competitively. Sucks for the cows.”

To a pro demanding a synthetic shoe, there is a price to pay. “A pro rider would lose a lot of money,” Raasch says. So for some pros debating synthetic versus leather and suede for their pro shoe, the potential loss of income could be a major deciding factor.

Now that 16 years have passed, I wonder how much of that is still true.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #310 on: March 10, 2019, 07:16:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

you didn't strike a nerve, but you're kind of the equivalent of someone like me going into the steak thread and being all like, "good luck with your colon cancer and limp dicks ... just saying"

As for the OG definition: Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

So yeah, I mean there is no way you can 100% avoid any and all animal exploitation, but you can make some conscious decisions in areas where it matters like food, clothing etc. Also, be aware that in these industries animals are specifically raised for the purpose of being exploited. You mentioned crude oil because of the environmental impact I'm guessing? Yes, no one is going to deny that impact and yes, I'm almost positive it does impact animals and the environment that they live in but it's not an industry whose sole purpose is destroy animals and profit from that suffering -- I guess that's where I draw my line?
Appeal to futility keyboard trolls will argue that you can't use roads because "tarmac isn't vegan" but yeah, that's hardly possible or practical is it?

As I also mentioned, I try to avoid PVC/ synth in my non-skate products, check out places like:
https://www.tokyobags.co
and
https://www.bravegentleman.com
to get an idea of the type of businesses I'm down for supporting. Unfortunately, no skate brand is going to go out of its way to use vegan microfibre that is environmentally friendly (maybe if I-path rebooted?) so we are left with choosing products that blatantly use animal ingredients vs. those that don't. In the case of my ethics I'm going to choose the latter.

Please do be aware too that the leather industry isn't as "natural" and environmentally friendly as it pretends/ promotes itself to be. Of course any links I could post here would be from the pro-animal rights camp and thus people will call me biased but it's definitely worth reading up on if you want to have a balanced opinion of what actually goes on.

So yeah, I'm down to discuss this stuff civilly and all, just don't come into this thread being all "that's not 100% vegan though gaiz" when no one is actually claiming that their lifestyle is 100% cruelty free okay?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:31:31 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #311 on: March 10, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »
you didn't strike a nerve, but you're kind of the equivalent of someone like me going into the steak thread and being all like, "good luck with your colon cancer and limp dicks ... just saying"

As for the OG definition: Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

So yeah, I mean there is no way you can 100% avoid any and all animal exploitation, but you can make some conscious decisions in areas where it matters like food, clothing etc. Also, be aware that in these industries animals are specifically raised for the purpose of being exploited. You mentioned crude oil because the environmental impact I'm guessing? Yes, no one is going to deny that impact and yes, I'm almost positive it does impact animals and the environment that they live in but it's not an industry whose sole purpose is destroy animals and profit from that suffering -- I guess that's where I draw my line?
Appeal to futility keyboard trolls will argue that you can't use roads because "tarmac isn't vegan" but yeah, that's hardly possible or practical is it?

As I also mentioned, I try to avoid PVC/ synth in my non-skate products, check out places like:
https://www.tokyobags.co
and
https://www.bravegentleman.com
to get an idea of the type of businesses I'm down for supporting. Unfortunately, no skate brand is going to go out of its way to use vegan microfibre that is environmentally friendly (maybe if I-path rebooted?) so we are left with choosing products that blatantly use animal ingredients vs. those that don't. In the case of my ethics I'm going to choose the latter.

Please do be aware that the leather industry too isn't as "natural" and environmentally friendly as it pretends/ promotes itself to be. Of course any links I could post here would be from the pro-animal rights camp and thus people will call me biased but it's definitely worth reading up on if you want to have a balanced opinion of what actually goes on.

So yeah, I'm down to discuss this stuff civilly and all, just don't come into this thread being all "that's not 100% vegan though gaiz" when no one is actually claiming that their lifestyle is 100% cruelty free okay?

I wasn't trying to be the equivalent of anything of the sort. I actually didn't mean to come off that way, but it's all said and done.

I'm glad you responded. I initially thought that was the end of it and felt we could further discuss.

Maybe I'm just an ignorant asshole, but sometimes it seems some people make it a point to be vegan, but only when it's convenient for them. There also tends to be a pretentious vibe that surrounds some people's attitudes. I'm trying to emphasize on "some people" because making an all inclusive statement would be ignorance. And I don't think all vegans are that way.

Another example of being pretentious. I go to the gym and keep it to myself. But there are others that brag about how healthy of a person they are, ad nauseum. Though, I've seen this in all walks of life.

So on to the actual point of all this.

I contradict myself, because I believe veganism is good, but also don't understand how not fully being cruelty free means you're cruelty free at all? I understand no one can be 100% unless they remove themselves from society. The death of an animal is still the death of an animal whether it is avoidable or not.

I see it the same as being completely against killing someone, but you would do it if your life was in danger.

I wrote a bunch of other shit that would have further explained my thoughts and experiences, but I erased it. No need to bring my complaints about someone I know into all this. Basically, a lady I know wants everyone to conform to her beliefs, but she breaks her own rules anyway.

You're correct about the crude oil thing. Because of the impact on the environment and also because it's literally made from the decay of plants and animals. But the latter statement is far fetched.

I'll check out those sites you mentioned. I agree that no matter what is shared it will seem biased, but that's the world we live in and I would still be able to see both sides and make an informed judgement. We have to educate ourselves and look beyond our typical sources.

The streets await

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #312 on: March 10, 2019, 08:32:54 PM »
cheers for the reply. there's a lot of stuff I want to get to it, but it's my lunch break so let me just get this out of the way:

The death of an animal is still the death of an animal whether it is avoidable or not.

This is heavily debatable and is the sole reason why we have terms like "first degree murder" and "manslaughter" when we talk about killing other humans. If I drive my car and accidentally run into a kangaroo on the freeway, that is very very different to me artificially inseminating a cow with the sole purpose of profiting off of its birth secretions and selling its baby to be slaughtered by the veal industry. I think we need to get that point clear before we can progress; if not we just run into appeal to futility fallacy spiral where we could argue ridiculous shit like "people die in traffic accidents so I should be able to run people down in my hummer and that's 100% justified because people die on the road anyway so there's no difference right?"

edit:
I understand no one can be 100% unless they remove themselves from society.
and going back to the OG definition, is that even possible and practicable? Sure, you can put a gun in your mouth and blow your brains out and now you cause "no harm" to anything, but you are basically neutral no? so I would argue that you could achieve a lot more by being alive and spreading a message that maybe it's not cool, or even really necessary, to exploit and kill animals in 2019 in the society we live in. Just random thoughts really, not trying to preach or anything but I'll let a few other posters chime in here as I think they might be able to articulate it better than I can.

Cuck, you there mate?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:46:36 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #313 on: March 10, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote
The death of an animal is still the death of an animal whether it is avoidable or not.
[close]

If I drive my car and accidentally run into a kangaroo on the freeway, that is very very different to me artificially inseminating a cow with the sole purpose of profiting off of its birth secretions and selling its baby to be slaughtered by the veal industry.

I actually meant to go back and change that to "To exploit the death of an animal is still exploiting the death of an animal whether it's avoidable or not." That's the point I meant to get across. My bad, I typed all that on my phone.

edit:
Expand Quote
I understand no one can be 100% unless they remove themselves from society.
[close]
and going back to the OG definition, is that even possible and practicable? Sure, you can put a gun in your mouth and blow your brains out and now you cause "no harm" to anything, but you are basically neutral no?

I wasn't talking about suicide, as I assume that's what you were implying. I was saying removing yourself in the way a hermit would. Nuts and berries in the wild type shit.

Something you didn't quote but touched on was this:

I think we need to get that point clear before we can progress; if not we just run into appeal to futility fallacy spiral where we could argue ridiculous shit like "people die in traffic accidents so I should be able to run people down in my hummer and that's 100% justified because people die on the road anyway so there's no difference right?"

That's nowhere near the sort of logic I am using, nor will or have I. I'm not sure which conclusions you have come to, but I'm not trying to be a cunt troll spewing bullshit to try to get a rise out of people. No part of this is me being facetious.

I see it the same as being completely against killing someone, but you would do it if your life was in danger.

This is heavily debatable and is the sole reason why we have terms like "first degree murder" and "manslaughter" when we talk about killing other humans.

I agree it's heavily debatable, but more so on legal grounds on which fits which definition. There is no law dictating what you can or cannot eat. I'm speaking solely on moral grounds. I fear it's a moot point, trying to explain what I said. But for the sake of clarification; If you are firmly against something, isn't it quite hypocritical to participate in that which you are against?

On an unrelated note, Futility Fallacy Spiral would make an awesome antipolitical band name.
The streets await

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2019, 10:01:21 PM »
Hey GISM, I’ll try and give it a shot.

Maybe I'm just an ignorant asshole, but sometimes it seems some people make it a point to be vegan, but only when it's convenient for them. There also tends to be a pretentious vibe that surrounds some people's attitudes. I'm trying to emphasize on "some people" because making an all inclusive statement would be ignorance. And I don't think all vegans are that way.

Another example of being pretentious. I go to the gym and keep it to myself. But there are others that brag about how healthy of a person they are, ad nauseum. Though, I've seen this in all walks of life.

Yeah, this is problem with anyone who suddenly adopts a pretty radical change, especially those who change quickly, and wants to share this life-changing experience with everyone. Same goes for religious people, and anything else that is seen as something that is part of someone’s identity.

With vegans, at least the ones I know (and have been myself), we get to this point where we see so much unnecessary animal suffering, and just by making a simple dietary change we can stop it, we feel compelled to let everyone know about it, and yeah, brag about it.

And for dumbasses like myself, it takes some time to get to the point, after countless arguments, you see that being moralistic and scolding is not a great way to get people to accept what you’re saying.

So yeah, TLDR is pretentiousness is a big problem vegans and vegetarians have.

So on to the actual point of all this.

I contradict myself, because I believe veganism is good, but also don't understand how not fully being cruelty free means you're cruelty free at all? I understand no one can be 100% unless they remove themselves from society. The death of an animal is still the death of an animal whether it is avoidable or not.

I agree, and will back-up what GISM said.

No-one is 100% cruelty-free, despite the feel-good vegan advertising that goes on. The wheat I had in my toast today probably came at the cost of many insect and rodent lives. 

Causing suffering to other creatures in our culture is unavoidable, but certainly with a little care, easily reduced.

I used to hunt and fish. And if I was even in a position where I had to do because there was nothing else to eat, I would.

But until that time comes, since I can live healthy and happily without eating another creature, I will avoid it as much as I can.

I wrote a bunch of other shit that would have further explained my thoughts and experiences, but I erased it. No need to bring my complaints about someone I know into all this. Basically, a lady I know wants everyone to conform to her beliefs, but she breaks her own rules anyway.

Because the world is so complex, and there aren’t any easy answers, who holds a strong viewpoint or
ideal is a hypocrite. As much as I hate capitalism, sweatshops, and the fashion industry, I still get a kick out of shopping for clothes.

I’m lazy and if a restaurant doesn’t have a vegan option, I’ll still eat eggs and cheese, despite the fucked-up things that go into creating it.

He’ll, I married a non-vegetarian. And my kid unfortunately will not be vegetarian outside the house, but you do what you can with what you have.

Every vegan/vegetarian/freegan is different, with a different mix of reasons, history, and baggage. Being an outright hypocrite and ignoring it is one thing, but no-one is perfect, and we all fail to meet our ideals.
People that can see their own hypocrisies tend to be a little more understanding with other people’s.

I would still be able to see both sides and make an informed judgement. We have to educate ourselves and look beyond our typical sources.

Shalom
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:07:42 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

coneklr

« Reply #315 on: March 11, 2019, 08:08:08 PM »
Hey my dudes lets get back to the shoes!  I wasn't trying to start a huge debate haha.  I have just been vegan for a bit food wise and was thinking of branching out more.  I'm also not the pushy type so I don't mention that I am unless I'm in a situation that dictates it or makes it come up.  I think it's for the better but if someone else doesn't, it is what it is.  There are so many topics that this is similar to and you aren't going to sway some people, so I just live how I feel is right.

Anyway, to that point ... when these 420's get here I'll probably sell all of my suede/leather shoes ( minus a pair of dress shoes from my wedding because they will last me for life ) and keep buying them until NB# stops making them, even though they aren't necessarily my style.  We'll see.

Shalom to all

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #316 on: March 12, 2019, 05:56:48 PM »
Hey my dudes lets get back to the shoes!  I wasn't trying to start a huge debate haha.  I have just been vegan for a bit food wise and was thinking of branching out more.  I'm also not the pushy type so I don't mention that I am unless I'm in a situation that dictates it or makes it come up.  I think it's for the better but if someone else doesn't, it is what it is.  There are so many topics that this is similar to and you aren't going to sway some people, so I just live how I feel is right.

Anyway, to that point ... when these 420's get here I'll probably sell all of my suede/leather shoes ( minus a pair of dress shoes from my wedding because they will last me for life ) and keep buying them until NB# stops making them, even though they aren't necessarily my style.  We'll see.

Shalom to all
all good mate, I don't think you started the debate, I think Primo was just generally interested in what we are all thinking. He's actual coming across quite civil so I do want to touch on a few of his and cucktard's points when I've got some time. You're right about being not be able to sway people though, people will change when they're ready to change BUT sometimes you can drop a little nugget and that can get them sparked. This lady I used to work with once asked me about my dietary choices over lunch one day and I just said something back quickly that wasn't particulary detailed or preachy and the following week she turn vegetarian so yeah...

As for shoes, the 420s have some weird sizing issues so let's not dedicate the rest of your skate career to wearing them just yet. not bad shoes per se, but lots of other good offerings out there. I'm still lusting after those Riley's...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:42:04 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

coneklr

« Reply #317 on: March 14, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
Got my 420's ... I can see why people who prefer a snug shoe would not like these as the toe box has a bunch of room, which for my wide foot is actually perfect.  Wore them to work and around today and I love them for wearing.  Not sure when I'll get my thoughts on them on board though as my car was stolen last week with my board in it.  Got the car back ( almost wish I wouldn't have though ) but no board in it.  So it will probably be a week or two.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #318 on: March 15, 2019, 08:11:29 AM »
Got my 420's ... I can see why people who prefer a snug shoe would not like these as the toe box has a bunch of room, which for my wide foot is actually perfect.  Wore them to work and around today and I love them for wearing.  Not sure when I'll get my thoughts on them on board though as my car was stolen last week with my board in it.  Got the car back ( almost wish I wouldn't have though ) but no board in it.  So it will probably be a week or two.
the big toe box was my initial complaint with the 420s too, but i got used to it.  Still haven't skated them, and I can't see myself doing so tbh, but they are legit the most comfortable shoes i think i've ever worn. 

On a separate note, my gray Lakai newports showed up today, and it's kinda annoying that the materials sticker on the inside says that the upper is real leather, so if you saw these on the shelf somewhere there's no way you'd know they were vegan.

Front Crunt

« Reply #319 on: March 15, 2019, 08:17:41 AM »
Would still recommend Ryan Lay's shoe if you can find them. He posted on his insta that etnies would be doing a vegan (cupsole) slip-on too?

This needs to happen already! Etnies has a vegan slip-on called the Cirrus, but it doesn't seem built for skating - https://www.etnies.com/us/mens/shoes/cirrus-4101000489.html.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2019, 02:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote

Shalom to all
[close]
all good mate, I don't think you started the debate, I think Primo was just generally interested in what we are all thinking. He's actual coming across quite civil so I do want to touch on a few of his and cucktard's points when I've got some time. You're right about being not be able to sway people though, people will change when they're ready to change BUT sometimes you can drop a little nugget and that can get them sparked. This lady I used to work with once asked me about my dietary choices over lunch one day and I just said something back quickly that wasn't particulary detailed or preachy and the following week she turn vegetarian so yeah...

As for shoes, the 420s have some weird sizing issues so let's not dedicate the rest of your skate career to wearing them just yet. not bad shoes per se, but lots of other good offerings out there. I'm still lusting after those Riley's...

i think if someone is already considering such a big change in their lives, mentioning your own at the right time can give the last little push that will make them go all the way! there is a delicate balance there though haha

im not vegan nor vegetarian, but i try to decrease my footprint as much as i can, so this thread is rad. im definitely interested in those vegan cupsole slip-ons—sounds dreamy!
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

coneklr

« Reply #321 on: March 16, 2019, 02:58:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Shalom to all
[close]

[close]

i think if someone is already considering such a big change in their lives, mentioning your own at the right time can give the last little push that will make them go all the way! there is a delicate balance there though haha

im not vegan nor vegetarian, but i try to decrease my footprint as much as i can, so this thread is rad. im definitely interested in those vegan cupsole slip-ons—sounds dreamy!

I think that is my biggest focus.  I try not to put it out there and come off pretentious but if a conversation is happening organically I will throw my experiences and what I've learned out there.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #322 on: March 25, 2019, 06:08:07 AM »
http://www.aproposskatemag.com/5-questions-stefan-janoski/

I didn't know Janoski was plant-based.
It's just kind of strange that the only non-vegan thing he does is wearing leather shoes...

Nike money ??
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »

It's just kind of strange that the only non-vegan thing he does is wearing leather shoes...

Nike money ??
hmmm seems strange, I'm sure nike has more than enough scrilla to bring out some mushroom-tech strictly vegan Janoskis. Synth wouldn't even be a problem for them because the majority of their running shoes are synth anyway as is Nyjah's shoe. Maybe Stefan still just likes the feel of suede? Skaters can get stuck in a rut when it comes to their gear (just look at the gear thread on SLAP) and it's hard to change. That interview does sound like we will see vegan janoksi in the future but his model is pretty dated these days no?

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2019, 08:44:57 PM »
I've tried messaging Alex Olson on Nike Vegan shoe recommendations since he seems to be a pretty big proponent of being Vegan but he never messaged back. He hasn't released any new footage recently so it's hard to tell what shoes he's currently skating. I agree with Gay Imp Sausage Metal about skaters getting stuck in a rut or not being the most open to change so I wouldn't be surprised if Alex is still skating suede shoes. Would be sick if he got a pro model on Nike that was Vegan.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2019, 10:58:50 PM »
skaters getting stuck in a rut or not being the most open to change so I wouldn't be surprised if Alex is still skating suede shoes. Would be sick if he got a pro model on Nike that was Vegan.
I think AO has talked about it in interviews before and is the sole reason why he still refers to himself as "plant based" as opposed to vegan no? I mean yeah AO, you do you, but technically Nike as a company produces a lot of "vegan" shoes in their non-skate range so it seems weird that they wouldn't at least throw a few options out there for their non-meat eating riders ... the irony being that Nyjah's model is vegan even though jumped off the bandwagon as soon as he was out of his dad's clutches :o

edit: Adidas is the same though no? Yaje and Suicu and those heads are all at least vegetarian but the only vegan models they are offer are some shitty canvas match-courts. I'd be so down for a vegan Westgate #NB model which is another company that kinda sleeps but at least they came though with the 420 right?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:03:19 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2019, 03:21:00 AM »
Expand Quote

Nike money ??
[close]
hmmm seems strange, I'm sure nike has more than enough scrilla to bring out some mushroom-tech strictly vegan Janoskis. Synth wouldn't even be a problem for them because the majority of their running shoes are synth anyway as is Nyjah's shoe. Maybe Stefan still just likes the feel of suede? Skaters can get stuck in a rut when it comes to their gear (just look at the gear thread on SLAP) and it's hard to change. That interview does sound like we will see vegan janoksi in the future but his model is pretty dated these days no?
there are at least 5 different colorways of all-canvas janoski's out at any given time.  After the first couple years, they switched the inner lining from real suede to synthetic. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2019, 05:19:56 AM »
yeah BUT anyone can make canvas shoes, that's not even really trying imho

Front Crunt

« Reply #328 on: March 30, 2019, 08:05:00 AM »

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #329 on: March 30, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »
I came here to post that same video. These can't be new, right? I'd be curious to hear what you all think of them as an alternative.
The streets await