Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171688 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #480 on: October 30, 2019, 03:01:46 AM »
Expand Quote
I don’t think he was trying to be all holier than thou there Hyena but the exact point you tried to make has been pretty much been discussed 13 times over 16 pages of this thread so it gets a little old and tedious when someone bumps the thread to essentially say the same thing. Most the vegans on slap are pretty chill and we mainly stick to this thread when disgussing vegan things ...unless of course it’s a thread aabout Rowley 😜
[close]

My bad, I guess it sounds like I was trying to make a point with a rhetorical question but I was asking in earnest to see if anyone has found something that meets a criteria for lowest overall environmental impact, which may or may not exist. And also to become a participant in this thread.

I’m not trying to argue the definition of vegan skate shoes or call anyone “fucking pussy idiots” I’m just trying to reduce my own impact on the environment and animals globally.

Yo Hyena. The environmental impact thread might be more suitable for what you’re wondering about:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106816.0

While veganism is often linked with environmental aspects it is a separate thing entirely. I don’t know how the environmental impact of synth shoes or suede shoes compare but I don’t think this is the right thread for that discussion really.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #481 on: October 30, 2019, 03:26:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t think he was trying to be all holier than thou there Hyena but the exact point you tried to make has been pretty much been discussed 13 times over 16 pages of this thread so it gets a little old and tedious when someone bumps the thread to essentially say the same thing. Most the vegans on slap are pretty chill and we mainly stick to this thread when disgussing vegan things ...unless of course it’s a thread aabout Rowley 😜
[close]

My bad, I guess it sounds like I was trying to make a point with a rhetorical question but I was asking in earnest to see if anyone has found something that meets a criteria for lowest overall environmental impact, which may or may not exist. And also to become a participant in this thread.

I’m not trying to argue the definition of vegan skate shoes or call anyone “fucking pussy idiots” I’m just trying to reduce my own impact on the environment and animals globally.
[close]

Yo Hyena. The environmental impact thread might be more suitable for what you’re wondering about:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106816.0

While veganism is often linked with environmental aspects it is a separate thing entirely. I don’t know how the environmental impact of synth shoes or suede shoes compare but I don’t think this is the right thread for that discussion really.

I guess for me the two are linked (as in I don’t consume animal products as part of my environmentalism) and that’s why I wanted to get in on this but clearly I misread the scene. I’ll see myself to the door.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #482 on: October 30, 2019, 03:55:39 AM »
No, I don’t think you need to leave at all mate, it’s a relevant question/ concern. If I was just looking at the most “eco” skate shoe on the market I’d probably just get some Etnies Jameson Eco 2s, but there’s a lot more that goes into me choosing shoes than *just* environmental concerns. I guess I try and balance that out with other areas of my life (i.e. it’s very rare that I buy any fruit/ veg/ rice that isn’t locally and organically grown). Skating isn’t very environmentally friendly anyway so yeah, maybe that thread is a better place to brainstorm but I don’t think the two are completely disconnected. My personal thoughts are that yes, synth isn’t as good as canvas is for the environment BUT a pair of synth shoes will last me longer so do I get 1x pair of synth shoes or 2x canvas? Also, leather is actually terrible for the environmental too so don’t believe all the hype of it being “natural” and thus somehow better than synth.
Fuck, why can’t I-path still be around? Or why can’t adidas come up with some skateable material made out of recycled plastic bottles or something?
I also talked about this before but lakai did a few runs of shoes built from recycled/ old skate shoes and even though they were suede I probably wouldn’t have that much of a problem buying them, the same way I don’t particularly hate on companies who use recycled down and wool.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:59:22 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #483 on: October 30, 2019, 07:55:47 AM »
They plant a tree for every entnies jameson eco 2 sold and its vegan = mind blown. Buy those hyena you’ll be your own hero, it feels good.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #484 on: October 30, 2019, 02:37:39 PM »
For real, read up on it here:
https://soletechnology-catalogues.cld.bz/etnies-BASPAT-info-sheet/16/

Looks like there’s another sheet up in those catalogs too explaining everything behind their vegan shoe lineup too!
https://soletechnology-catalogues.cld.bz/etnies-Vegan-One-Sheet
Just another reason to support soletech
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 02:43:26 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

drewbearz

« Reply #485 on: October 31, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »
They plant a tree for every entnies jameson eco 2 sold and its vegan = mind blown. Buy those hyena you’ll be your own hero, it feels good.

Wow, that makes me change my opinion on etnies completely. I'm definitely going to buy their shoes now.

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #486 on: November 02, 2019, 05:48:43 AM »
Been away for a few days. Sorry I got so intense back there, Hyena. I did not interpret your question as genuine. A lot of people do come in here just to try to poke holes in veganism and get people riled. You have my sincerest apologies. Welcome, I hope you find some useful info here.
No.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #487 on: November 05, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »
This is pretty cool. It says: “if even the burgers can be vegetarian, why not suede too?” 

This is a Brazilian brand but for the European folks they now have a European site aswell:
https://ousfootwear.com/footwear/lines

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #488 on: November 06, 2019, 01:36:28 AM »
They look fine! Cupsole and not canvas 💪🏼 Would be keen to try them out but I’m guessing shipping to japan would be ridics

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #489 on: November 08, 2019, 03:54:53 AM »
Does anyone here have any suggestions on a mid or high that’s mostly black? Trying to get something for work and skate and nothing out looks all that great.

Taking a break on Vans for the moment. Not big on Nike or Adidas.

Emerica Omen looks to come in white only. Bummer.

Any thoughts on the CTAS?

Here’s hoping vegan skate shoes in 2020 will be on point since canvas ain’t the curse it used to be.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #490 on: November 08, 2019, 02:28:48 PM »
You can still cop Ryan Lay’s etnies model on eBay; black, simple and super tough!

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #491 on: November 13, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
Expand Quote
I know it's a hate it or love it shoe but for the dudes who love it, Tilly's has the Riley 2's for $47.99

I bought 6 pairs already 8) I've been skating it for about a year.  It could be a little lighter, and maybe a little wider in the toe but with as terrible as the vegan skate shoe scene has been I figured I'd stock up since it's been agonizing finding any other shoes I like right now.

https://www.tillys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-tillys-Site/default/Product-Variation?pid=347603178
[close]
Whoa weird!  Looks like Tilly's has a bunch of exclusive colorways for Lakai.  Never saw those blackout canvas Riley's before, and there's also an all-canvas Cambridge!
TOFTT and ordered those canvas Cambridges.  They arrived today and they fit great and feel awesome on my feet.  There aren't many of these soccer-style shoes (thinking busenitz vulc, huf galaxy etc) that come in canvas/synth and these have a nice sorta tech-y feel with a slightly puffier tongue than most of the vulcs i've worn.  All that being said, the canvas feels paper-thin, almost crepe-like.  There's no way they stand up to more than one ollie on new mob grip before getting hole.  These def need some superglue pre-treatment.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #492 on: November 13, 2019, 06:59:27 PM »
A benefit to the Riley's is that it's a low profile shoe with a solid toe. So just the outsole has been wearing down uo front. I have been hitting the side panels with shoe goo which doesn't bother me. Anything on the toe always throws me off though gor whatever reason. It just feels like it adds drag to my flip tricks. I was hoping the thin canvas Lakai used on the Riley's was just because they needed an easier fabric to work with since the front of the shoe is one piece. With a shoe that's all stitched together you'd think you can use thicker canvas no problem since  you don't have to worry about workability or whatever

cwilks88

• Rep: -1
« Reply #493 on: November 17, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
Anybody know when the classico from this brand is going back in stock? I plan on getting a pair of these in every color. Emailed them but no reply.

https://forwinbrandco.com/collections/footwear

alright

« Reply #494 on: November 20, 2019, 11:53:08 AM »
Anybody know when the classico from this brand is going back in stock? I plan on getting a pair of these in every color. Emailed them but no reply.

https://forwinbrandco.com/collections/footwear

I'll email them and ask. Then I'll get back to you.

padded_shorts

« Reply #495 on: December 11, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »
Just here to keep the thread alive. I've been skating the Winkowski Omens for the past few sessions. They are alright. Pretty supportive for a canvas/vulc shoe. I had to wear them walking for a few days to get them broken in a little. They are rather stiff right out of the box. They don't really compare to the accel plus everstitch I had been wearing, but I like them and got them for about $35 from Ambush when they had their sale going.
No.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #496 on: December 12, 2019, 01:01:57 AM »
↑ good shit mate! I looked at those emericas but yeah, I can’t really do vulcs anymore (says the guy who owns lakai slip ons) so I feel ya.
Still looking for some of those eS in my size/ color preference but it looks like their new tech-ed reissue might also be synth? Who knows though, the market is pretty shitty at the moment if you’re looking for some good vegan kicks.  Emerica TM mentioned something on here about a full vegan lineup a while back so let’s keep our fingers crossed 🤞

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #497 on: December 13, 2019, 01:51:05 PM »
Just here to keep the thread alive. I've been skating the Winkowski Omens for the past few sessions. They are alright. Pretty supportive for a canvas/vulc shoe. I had to wear them walking for a few days to get them broken in a little. They are rather stiff right out of the box. They don't really compare to the accel plus everstitch I had been wearing, but I like them and got them for about $35 from Ambush when they had their sale going.

Im skating the same shoe and I love them... Mostly because I always, fucking ALWAYS rip a switch ollie hole in shoes after a few sessions... That little added rubber is saving me bloody feet and numerous ripped socks.

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #498 on: December 13, 2019, 10:51:38 PM »
I believe those vans slip ons with the Ave sole that were posted in the upcoming shoe thread are listed as synthetic, if anyone was interested  ;D

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: December 14, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »
I believe those vans slip ons with the Ave sole that were posted in the upcoming shoe thread are listed as synthetic, if anyone was interested  ;D
If anyone’s into that sort of self humiliation, the Blondey superstars are supposedly vegan as well.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #500 on: December 14, 2019, 06:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If anyone’s into that sort of self humiliation, the Blondey superstars are supposedly vegan as well.
🤣 I noticed that he mentions they were vegan, I wonder if they used some sort of recycled plastic or whatever, I certainly wouldn’t have gone with that material if I hadn’t the chance to design my own vegan skate shoe

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #501 on: December 14, 2019, 10:05:31 PM »
as someone said before, why can’t adidas make some Parley skateshoes.
love the concept of the ocean plastic being recycled

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #502 on: December 15, 2019, 04:20:05 AM »
Exactly, big brands have the tech/ finances to make it happen but just stay lazy instead of actually innovating. Janoski and AO are pretty vocal about their dietary choices and yet Nike is pretty much oblivious to their message...

padded_shorts

« Reply #503 on: December 15, 2019, 07:41:25 AM »
Someone just needs to make a synth halfcab type shoe with a cupsole.
No.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: December 15, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »
Exactly, big brands have the tech/ finances to make it happen but just stay lazy instead of actually innovating. Janoski and AO are pretty vocal about their dietary choices and yet Nike is pretty much oblivious to their message...
I think it’s just that with those dudes tho...a dietary choice and not a lifestyle choice, a la McCrank in the 00s.  They have no qualms wearing leather shoes.

padded_shorts

« Reply #505 on: January 08, 2020, 11:20:37 AM »
CCS has es Accel Plus Everstitch on clearance for $70(Red and Black) and $77(Blue and Grey).
These are amazing shoes.
https://shop.ccs.com/es-accel-plus-ever-stitch-shoes-grey-red-13-0?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwJbNgdv05gIVh7zACh3i_AWNEAQYAyABEgL4e_D_BwE
No.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #506 on: January 08, 2020, 11:34:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think it’s just that with those dudes tho...a dietary choice and not a lifestyle choice, a la McCrank in the 00s.  They have no qualms wearing leather shoes.

Yeah I have seen Janoski in plenty of leather.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

DriedxMango

• Rep: 0
« Reply #507 on: January 09, 2020, 05:45:36 PM »
A huge problem IMO is the lack of vegan shoes in skating.. I hope it gets better soon. there are a few options I love though:

Vans slip on pros in checkered. You can also make your own custom vans pros and make them come in canvas.. customs are obv more expensive, but worth it if you got the $. I just ordered a pair of slip on pros in black and gum. You can also order custom vans in other styles and make them vegan, only thing is the Old Skool has that leather stripe... which I’m pretty sure you can’t swap. 

Converse has a few canvas chucks for skating, I’ve had a bunch of pairs of the black ones. Also I just got the player L/T pro from cons and I love em... probably won’t be around for long though.

New Balance has a lot of synthetics... never tried though.

Another huge tip is using super glue on the high wear areas of shoes before you skate them. When I do this I can make any shoe last dumb long..

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #508 on: January 09, 2020, 06:38:09 PM »
You guys see the Supra Penny shoe that's probably not getting made? 2nd colorway was white nubuck and synthetic. Does that mean maybe vegan? Making it a mythical vegan, cupsole, hightop?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #509 on: January 09, 2020, 06:39:58 PM »
Nubuck is iffy, I’d say no...

Also, vans jazz stripe has been synth for as long as I can remember!