Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 169905 times)

Bigwheelbite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -162
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #990 on: February 16, 2021, 12:05:22 PM »
Apologies if these have been mentioned already bu you can't go wrong with etnies langston & langston sheep slip ons. They are canvas though so won't last too long but if your tekkers with the super glue and shoe goo / ripcare then u can make them last way longer. The key is to apply super glue on all the stitching around the ollie area and get a bit on there from the first sign of a tiny rip/hole. If you ignore the tiny hole and allow it to get too big then its not the one...

etnies have these droppin soon which look like a solid vegan option

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLIoZjqHm0n/

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #991 on: February 16, 2021, 12:42:10 PM »
BWB genuine question:  do you think you're the first one to introduce all of these concepts (canvas v suede durability, superglue techniques, etc) into a 34 page vegan shoe thread? 

spoiler alert, they've been discussed ad nauseum.  Read the room first, then come in with some novel commentary if you have it.  Everyone will appreciate it much more, and you won't be put immediately on the defensive. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #992 on: February 16, 2021, 08:11:46 PM »
Can’t think of any canvas cupsoles tho. A sturdier canvas is surely available/possible.
eS currently has an accel slim in canvas and Etnies had a brown canvas marana with synth toecap in their previous drop

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #993 on: February 18, 2021, 06:58:50 PM »
Interesting, adidas seem to have replaced their core samba line with the vegan alternatives entirely.  No more ‘vegan’ embossed symbol on the heel, and now they’re labeled samba OG.  That’s awesome!
https://www.adidas.com/us/samba-og-shoes/GZ8348.html

Edit: ahh shit I just realized it’s on the kids version only.  Oh well.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #994 on: February 18, 2021, 07:42:29 PM »
I’m not vegan, so I’m uninformed.

In a standard canvas shoe what keeps it from not being vegan? Glue?

Cubz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #995 on: February 18, 2021, 11:13:32 PM »
I’m not vegan, so I’m uninformed.

In a standard canvas shoe what keeps it from not being vegan? Glue?

Yes, the glue can be made of animal bones.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #996 on: February 21, 2021, 12:18:04 PM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #997 on: February 21, 2021, 03:38:54 PM »
Will probably cop!

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #998 on: February 21, 2021, 05:01:12 PM »
I’m planning to get the lows for sure, probably even multiple pairs/colors.  I’m 50/50 on the highs.  Those Samaria NBs look nice as well, for being a very similar shoe (mid/high vulc) so I’ll probably get one or the other. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #999 on: February 21, 2021, 08:39:39 PM »
I’m planning to get the lows for sure, probably even multiple pairs/colors.  I’m 50/50 on the highs.  Those Samaria NBs look nice as well, for being a very similar shoe (mid/high vulc) so I’ll probably get one or the other. 
what's the deal on the highs? I like hi tops for the colder months personally.
you can't remove the insole though right? that means I have to pray that it works. NB vegan hi tops look great, really liked how they labelled them in the ad too, good to have a bit of choice for the upcoming season. Cup soles are still slim pickings though...
ended up ordering some evants in 0.5 bigger, hope my foot doesn't swim in them cuz they looks so solid!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #1000 on: February 22, 2021, 01:59:46 AM »
Hoping for another color way in the LRs, but if not I still might get some anyways.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1001 on: February 22, 2021, 02:59:08 AM »
Hoping for another color way in the LRs, but if not I still might get some anyways.
there’s a forest green and dark navy in pretty sure!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #1002 on: February 22, 2021, 03:43:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
there’s a forest green and dark navy in pretty sure!

I’m in if the get forest green at the local shop
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1003 on: February 22, 2021, 11:03:32 AM »
My evants finally arrived, quick question: do they stretch out? Went true to size but my first impression is that they are feeling pretty tight ...

Skated in my 420s today and I think I’d honestly be happy to just keep rocking them as they are kinda perfect for my foot shape

Not sure if anyone answered you yet but they do! The first time I wore mine I was a little nervous cause they felt really tight and a little uncomfortable. After a day of walking around and one session they were totally broken in and felt great... Other than the fact I ripped an ollie and switch ollie hole in them within 2 sessions...

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #1004 on: February 23, 2021, 08:09:45 AM »
The State Bushwicks in canvas are releasing mid-March according to what they told me. Can't wait to try them.

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1005 on: February 23, 2021, 01:43:22 PM »
The State Bushwicks in canvas are releasing mid-March according to what they told me. Can't wait to try them.
Why do all the canvas high tops have to be white? The last resorts being the exception I guess. I shouldn't complain, I'm happy State and Emerica are making the bushwick and winkowski, I'm just not a big fan of white shoes. Give me a black canvas winkowski omen and I'll buy 5 pairs of them. That said, the last resorts do look good, though the pictures look like they maybe have less padding than the suede version. I haven't seen either in person though.
No.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1006 on: February 24, 2021, 05:55:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Why do all the canvas high tops have to be white? The last resorts being the exception I guess. I shouldn't complain, I'm happy State and Emerica are making the bushwick and winkowski, I'm just not a big fan of white shoes. Give me a black canvas winkowski omen and I'll buy 5 pairs of them. That said, the last resorts do look good, though the pictures look like they maybe have less padding than the suede version. I haven't seen either in person though.

I feel the same way. I just want one shoe I can buy over and over again reliably. I really liked the State Elgin's I was just riding but now I feel the need to try the Last Resort's. There's a problem with the market now where vegan shoes keep coming out or are getting taken away and I feel the need to check out every new pair; none of them are perfect yet, where in the nonvegan market I think you can more easily just pick a shoe and stick with it, and it'll always be there, in colorways that don't make you look like a goober.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #1007 on: February 24, 2021, 07:31:44 AM »
Anyone got feedback on Etnies ? Are the Jameson 2 eco good ?
I might got a little deal with the Etnies distributor here, so I'm looking for a model I can skate/find multiple times.

I'm going to try those new Sheep for sure, but I guess they won't stay for a long time..
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1008 on: February 24, 2021, 01:56:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I feel the same way. I just want one shoe I can buy over and over again reliably. I really liked the State Elgin's I was just riding but now I feel the need to try the Last Resort's. There's a problem with the market now where vegan shoes keep coming out or are getting taken away and I feel the need to check out every new pair; none of them are perfect yet, where in the nonvegan market I think you can more easily just pick a shoe and stick with it, and it'll always be there, in colorways that don't make you look like a goober.
NB# 420s is probably the only shoe fulfilling that criteria at the moment

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #1009 on: February 24, 2021, 07:19:47 PM »
We got a couple vegan models this season.

https://www.emerica.com/footwear/vegan/

Got 2 more in Summer and then a bit more in Fall. Got some synthetic suede models coming soon as well.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1010 on: February 24, 2021, 10:08:06 PM »
crossover post with the non skate shoe thread. this company is commited to making reebok club c knockoffs.

sustainable and vegan options, like this black one.

no idea how they skate, but they seem well made.

https://www.sayebrand.com/

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #1011 on: February 25, 2021, 07:03:29 AM »

Got 2 more in Summer and then a bit more in Fall. Got some synthetic suede models coming soon as well.

Stoked on this. Any chance the Wino Cup will come in a vegan option? That would be an immediate purchase for me.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1012 on: February 25, 2021, 08:11:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Stoked on this. Any chance the Wino Cup will come in a vegan option? That would be an immediate purchase for me.
Psyched to see the Romero Laced back in a vegan option.  I passed on prior vegan versions when I was a vulc-only guy, but now I'd like to try these.  Am I remembering correctly that there's also an all-white canvas version of the Romero Laced coming soon? 

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1013 on: February 25, 2021, 01:54:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
NB# 420s is probably the only shoe fulfilling that criteria at the moment
even those don't have a consistent colorway. I don't think there is even one out right now.
No.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1014 on: February 26, 2021, 06:29:24 AM »

Always loved Emerica's whole vibe and team. Stoked they're making some more vegan options. I can do without polka-dot slip-ons and translucent sole Romero's, but I'll try some of the other ones.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1015 on: February 26, 2021, 06:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Also will we ever get a vegan Spanly g6? (not the ksl reissue, but that would be cool too)

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #1016 on: February 26, 2021, 02:05:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Psyched to see the Romero Laced back in a vegan option.  I passed on prior vegan versions when I was a vulc-only guy, but now I'd like to try these.  Am I remembering correctly that there's also an all-white canvas version of the Romero Laced coming soon?
Yep!

Expand Quote

[close]

Not with this initial launch but hopefully getting some more vegan options in that as well as the other models. We've got a rad synth slip-on coming out this year.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Also will we ever get a vegan Spanly g6? (not the ksl reissue, but that would be cool too)
Not 100% as of right now. Definitely trying to get some vegan KSL's in the mix though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1017 on: February 26, 2021, 04:29:26 PM »
Please don’t make promises like that unles you can back them up @EmericaTM, all we want is non-canvas cupsoles! The Leo shoe is a bit weird though because the heel cup either totally works or totally ruins the shoe depending on your foot shape. 

In other sole tech news, it looks like those new eS chiller Accels are microfiber!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1018 on: February 26, 2021, 04:40:53 PM »
@EmericaTM

not sure if you guys thought about it this way, but since i can address you here directly, i want to second what gism said in a way. also, i don't know if this is what you guys at sole tech/emerica think, but most vegan options are flimsy vulcs. i don't know if designers think vegans are all hippies that skate superthin lotech shoes. there's a real marketgap for a nice chunkier cupsole that's made out of vegan leather. like you could make a gamma out of that material that that saye brand uses maybe. there's already tons of canvas shoes out, back when they weren't even advertised as vegan(some aren't due to leather patches). it's nothing new. sometimes i feel like we're getting sold old wine in newish caskets. i'm not even vegan but i'm always looking for vegan options and would like to transition into vegan only, but over here that would mean i'd need to skate authentics basically.

no one is excited about canvas shoes anymore. it's 2021. there's all types of non-animal-hyde materials out there that would work well for a skate shoe, sheep already did it in the 90s. just in case you could pass this along or something fwiw.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1019 on: February 27, 2021, 08:32:53 AM »
The Leo shoe is a bit weird though because the heel cup either totally works or totally ruins the shoe depending on your foot shape. 
This was the main review feedback that prevented me from getting them in the past.  The OG Laced's from like 2008 tore the shit out of my heel.  Guess I'll roll the dice...