Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 534141 times)

Schinken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1950 on: August 26, 2020, 09:37:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Have to admit I bought one:

PP Anderson Deck
Independent 169
PP G-Slides 59mm (sometimes hate the red color,sometimes like it)
Steep concave, no risers needed for 60mm wheels.
[close]

Funny you say that about the red wheels... I have a set of red Street Plant wheels I feel the same way about.  Some days I like them and some days I hate them, lol.  Mostly like them, but I’ll never buy another set of red wheels.

Andy Anderson is a magician and that board is sick. Nice to see that my 169’s will fit if I ever decide to pull the trigger on one.

I like this shape but I feel like it takes more time to get used to it compared to other boards. Keep in mind that It gets easily damaged because of its sharp edges, flares and bumps.(Just in case you suck at flip tricks...i do...)

Most of the time I ride my Creature 8.8. Slightly smaller than 9", 15" wb, steep kicks and super comfortable concave. Sick shape for hillbombing.

zapooz.2

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1951 on: August 28, 2020, 04:33:01 AM »
I've got myself a local brand's pool shaped board(first one that's bigger than 9"). Really pleased with it. The site measures it as 10"  but it turned out to be just below 9.5". I'm going to set it up with ace 55s and 59mm spitfire bigheads (maybe I'll put some santa cruz rails). What do you think about it?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 05:12:07 AM by zapooz.2 »

JB77

« Reply #1952 on: August 28, 2020, 05:23:15 AM »
I've got myself a local brand's pool shaped board(first one that's bigger than 9"). Really pleased with it. The site measures it as 10"  but it turned out to be just below 9.5". I'm going to set it up with ace 55s and 59mm spitfire bigheads (maybe I'll put some santa cruz rails). What do you think about it?

Very cool.  Looking forward to seeing it all set up!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1953 on: August 28, 2020, 05:22:25 PM »

Treated my wide set up to some new 55’s and slimeballs.

Deck is getting a bit tired. Anyone got any ideas for something similar shape, kinda slimmer Dane 1 with a tiny bit more wb? 9.3 ish and 14.25 wb (or close to ) tried the Polar 92 before but didnt love it enough to go back

Liked the look of that lurkville posted a few pages ago but don’t think they’re in the uk.
https://habitatskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/houndstooth-cruiser-9-675
A little wider but this might be what you're looking for. It's currently sold out on the Habitat site but maybe you can find one in a local?

@zapooz.2 That's a good looking shape you got there.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #1954 on: August 28, 2020, 05:37:15 PM »

Scram 10 ish or so
Ace 66s
Spitfire F4 classic 58s
Swiss
1/8 riser
1 inch Bender bolts

JB77

« Reply #1955 on: August 28, 2020, 05:38:39 PM »

Scram 10 ish or so
Ace 66s
Spitfire F4 classic 58s
Swiss
1/8 riser
1 inch Bender bolts

Heck yeah, so rad. 

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1956 on: August 28, 2020, 06:11:59 PM »

Scram 10 ish or so
Ace 66s
Spitfire F4 classic 58s
Swiss
1/8 riser
1 inch Bender bolts
That setup and the black laces in white shoes...you do things right pal.

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #1957 on: August 28, 2020, 06:18:53 PM »
Haha!  Thanks my dudes, @Seventyfrigginseven and @JB77
I have to shout out old Peter Hewitt footage for the white shoes, black laces. 

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #1958 on: August 29, 2020, 02:58:24 AM »
Expand Quote

Treated my wide set up to some new 55’s and slimeballs.

Deck is getting a bit tired. Anyone got any ideas for something similar shape, kinda slimmer Dane 1 with a tiny bit more wb? 9.3 ish and 14.25 wb (or close to ) tried the Polar 92 before but didnt love it enough to go back

Liked the look of that lurkville posted a few pages ago but don’t think they’re in the uk.
[close]
https://habitatskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/houndstooth-cruiser-9-675
A little wider but this might be what you're looking for. It's currently sold out on the Habitat site but maybe you can find one in a local?

@zapooz.2 That's a good looking shape you got there.

Thanks for the suggestions!! Haven’t seen the habitat over here but looks like there are some of the zero decks with older graphics still available so that might be the go.

uptherecazaly

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1959 on: August 29, 2020, 03:56:25 AM »

Heroin Mutant 10"
Independent 215's
Spitfire F4 Conical Fulls 56mm
Creature rails
1/8" Independent risers
Bronson G3 bearings

DOGGY, I NEEDA KNOW:
HOW IS THIS THING? DO YOU LIKE IT WITH 215S? DO THEY FIT NICE? LOOKS GREAT.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1960 on: August 29, 2020, 06:47:44 AM »
I just ordered some 161 Thunder hollows mainly in an attempt to lighten up my fatty. I have been skating Venture 6.1's and their weight is not doing my old ass any favors. I have never skated Thunders before and was wondering what they were like, especially on big setups. After skating medium-tight Ventures for decades, I am just now starting to find the benefits of loose trucks (like turning)  ::) and am hoping that Thunders were a good choice.

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1961 on: August 29, 2020, 07:30:57 AM »
I just ordered some 161 Thunder hollows mainly in an attempt to lighten up my fatty. I have been skating Venture 6.1's and their weight is not doing my old ass any favors. I have never skated Thunders before and was wondering what they were like, especially on big setups. After skating medium-tight Ventures for decades, I am just now starting to find the benefits of loose trucks (like turning)  ::) and am hoping that Thunders were a good choice.

Thunders are great, they are stable with a very quick responding turn that bottoms out a bit when you are really leaning in to it.

The quicknes of the turn mellows out somewhat with the bigger sizes.

Thunders are prone to wheelbite, if you are going with big wheels and you ride a bit loose, risers might be needed.
The baseplates are a bit shorter than most trucks, if you want risers that fit perfect Thunder or Krooked ones are the right size.

I have 151 and 161 with risers, it might be my imagination but it feels like the risers frees up the turn a bit, making them more surfier, because the trucks have more travel to tilt before wheelbite comes in.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #1962 on: August 29, 2020, 08:08:34 AM »
I recently posted in this thread about my hunt for >9" popsicles but I couldn't find any in Germany. Decided to give another shape a chance and ordered a 9.81" Krooked Gonzales Sweatpants. I fucking love it! Only skated the local bowl a bit and some flat ground but this makes so much sense with my US15 feet. Stance feels more secure and I don't think I'll drag my toes as much as with the 9" Jart popsicles that I have been riding for years. Even the pop feels more solid. Hoping this is a standard shape for them that I'll be able to buy again in the future.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1963 on: August 29, 2020, 08:24:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunders are great, they are stable with a very quick responding turn that bottoms out a bit when you are really leaning in to it.

Thunders are prone to wheelbite, if you are going with big wheels and you ride a bit loose, risers might be needed.
The baseplates are a bit shorter than most trucks, if you want risers that fit perfect Thunder or Krooked ones are the right size.

I have 151 and 161 with risers, it might be my imagination but it feels like the risers frees up the turn a bit, making them more surfier, because the trucks have more travel to tilt before wheelbite comes in.
That all sounds really good to me. Especially the stability part, I have just changed to Indys on my popsicle and those combined with starting to skate looser trucks setting up for fliptricks especially on banks and stuff has been aggravating. I was hoping Thunders would be a middle ground in that sense. I skate small wheels and typically dont use risers, so I think I will try them without them for now. Thanks for the input man, much appreciated.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #1964 on: August 29, 2020, 01:17:47 PM »

who's got the 161 hollows?  i haven't seen those for sale yet.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1965 on: August 29, 2020, 03:03:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

who's got the 161 hollows?  i haven't seen those for sale yet.
I got mine from a small but amazing surf/skateshop in coastal Maine named Mocean..unfortunately they don't do mail order though. They should be amazing..they weigh almost nothing.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1966 on: August 29, 2020, 03:53:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed on risers. I really think an 1/8" riser enhances their turn. At least for the 151s I use.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1967 on: August 29, 2020, 04:17:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agreed on risers. I really think an 1/8" riser enhances their turn. At least for the 151s I use.
I was thinking about it after Heywood chimed in. And now you as well,  I think that I will get the risers to start with. That way it's one less adjustment to get used to down the road. Thanks for the help!

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1968 on: August 30, 2020, 05:46:27 AM »
Fuck that baker is sweet!!!

I loved the love seat shape and feel...but wood was horrible.

I gotta hunt one down

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1969 on: August 30, 2020, 07:39:36 AM »

Baker 9.25 x 32 x 14
Ace 55 w Riptide pivots
F4 Radial Full 58mm 99a
Swiss

Big fan of this shape, basically the Loveseat on BBS wood.

Hell yeah, skating the deathwish version of that shape right now and love it. Posted it here maybe a page back, sized down to 44s though.

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #1970 on: August 31, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »

Baker 9.25 x 32 x 14
Ace 55 w Riptide pivots
F4 Radial Full 58mm 99a
Swiss

Soooo sick!

Lurking this thread has made me want to get a big boy setup so bad.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1971 on: August 31, 2020, 03:17:48 PM »
Fuck that baker is sweet!!!

I loved the love seat shape and feel...but wood was horrible.

I couldn't agree more. I have never had a board go to shit so fast. It was depressing because the shape is so good.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #1972 on: August 31, 2020, 03:21:39 PM »
Expand Quote
]

Baker 9.25 x 32 x 14
Ace 55 w Riptide pivots
F4 Radial Full 58mm 99a
Swiss

[close]

Soooo sick!

Do it. Even if it doesn’t work out use it as the occasional cruiser.

I think having a shaped mess around board isn’t bad. It helps to take a break from more “serious” skating.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1973 on: September 01, 2020, 05:29:41 AM »
For those of you running rails: do you have any special installation technique? I did the single rail thing a while back and liked it a lot, but I guess I did kind of a rush job of putting it on and it rattled like crazy on one end.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #1974 on: September 01, 2020, 06:15:39 AM »

use wood glue or super glue on the screws if they come loose

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #1975 on: September 01, 2020, 06:52:52 AM »
Or out double tape under the rails before u screw em in...

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1976 on: September 01, 2020, 06:55:37 AM »
For those of you running rails: do you have any special installation technique? I did the single rail thing a while back and liked it a lot, but I guess I did kind of a rush job of putting it on and it rattled like crazy on one end.

Lay the rails on some gaff or duct tape and cut along the edges with a razor blade so that you have a layer of tape perfectly fitted to the base of each rail. Screw in the rails with the tape between the rail and the deck. I start it with an electric screwdriver but finish by hand so I don’t strip it out. The tape helps dampen the rattle.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1977 on: September 01, 2020, 07:07:40 AM »
Thanks all, much appreciated.

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #1978 on: September 01, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
]

Baker 9.25 x 32 x 14
Ace 55 w Riptide pivots
F4 Radial Full 58mm 99a
Swiss

[close]

Soooo sick!

[close]

Do it. Even if it doesn’t work out use it as the occasional cruiser.

I think having a shaped mess around board isn’t bad. It helps to take a break from more “serious” skating.

Sounds like a plan :)

I frequently fall victim to taking skating too seriously so I think it'll be really beneficial to focus on the fun.

Bowel

• Rep: -15
« Reply #1979 on: September 01, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »
Imagine not skating for fun