Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 540252 times)

Slappys Nightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3930 on: October 01, 2021, 02:20:10 PM »
Am I a big boi now????? ;) ;) ;)
Finally found my perfect setup after 15 years of being brainwashed into riding tiny boards with huge feet.
Love this thread, cheers \m/

Heroin Deerman Giallo 9.0 x 32.25 x 14.25
Thunder Hollow Lights 161
Orbs 54mm wheels
Bearings??????
Grizzly grip

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #3931 on: October 01, 2021, 03:32:03 PM »
Finally found my perfect setup after 15 years of being brainwashed into riding tiny boards with huge feet.

Orbs 54mm wheels
Bearings??????
Grizzly grip

yes u are..yes u are..

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3932 on: October 02, 2021, 01:13:46 AM »

Orbs 54mm wheels
Bearings??????
Grizzly grip

Congrats, wide pops are the way to go with big feet and Heroin make the best ones. Funny btw, are those DC Cure high tops? Just got them, too, they are one of very few options when it comes to cupsoles in my size (US15). Been really enjoying them so far.

Slappys Nightmare

« Reply #3933 on: October 02, 2021, 02:37:15 AM »
Expand Quote

Orbs 54mm wheels
Bearings??????
Grizzly grip
[close]

Congrats, wide pops are the way to go with big feet and Heroin make the best ones. Funny btw, are those DC Cure high tops? Just got them, too, they are one of very few options when it comes to cupsoles in my size (US15). Been really enjoying them so far.

ya they are! sole of the right shoe started peeling (my back foot, i'm regular) in a few places after 1 week of light skating! they've offered me a replacement. gonna see if this super glue holds better than the shoe goo that didn't...before i decide to send em back. i really love these, maybe it's just the new grizzly grip????

Slappys Nightmare

« Reply #3934 on: October 02, 2021, 02:46:47 AM »
Expand Quote

Orbs 54mm wheels
Bearings??????
Grizzly grip
[close]

check it out

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3935 on: October 02, 2021, 03:24:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Orbs 54mm wheels
Bearings??????
Grizzly grip
[close]

[close]

ya they are! sole of the right shoe started peeling (my back foot, i'm regular) in a few places after 1 week of light skating! they've offered me a replacement. gonna see if this super glue holds better than the shoe goo that didn't...before i decide to send em back. i really love these, maybe it's just the new grizzly grip????

That’s weird, mine don’t do that after a few weeks of intense skating. Though I flicked a hole into the toe area after three sessions and had to go the Shoe Goo route. Still, so much more stable than the Blazers I had before, don’t want to go back. Sorry for off-topic everyone, btw.

djoekr

• Rep: 294
« Reply #3936 on: October 03, 2021, 11:15:15 AM »

Got this 9.5 Craig Questions shape to try something different, and thus far I'm really liking it. Just have a question about wider decks, does anyone find that they snap faster? I have snapped 2 out of 3 Heroin eggs in about a month of skating them, even though I've never snapped any of my 8.5 popsicles. Just bad luck or does anyone experience the same thing on their Heroin decks?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3937 on: October 03, 2021, 11:48:06 AM »

Got this 9.5 Craig Questions shape to try something different, and thus far I'm really liking it. Just have a question about wider decks, does anyone find that they snap faster? I have snapped 2 out of 3 Heroin eggs in about a month of skating them, even though I've never snapped any of my 8.5 popsicles. Just bad luck or does anyone experience the same thing on their Heroin decks?

I think it is a BBS problem. All my decks from them in the last 12 months snapped. Never had that happen before.
IG: @flowterspace

djoekr

« Reply #3938 on: October 03, 2021, 12:58:00 PM »
I was hoping that wouldn't be the issue but damn I sure hope that's not true for this one. Snapping two eggs after about 1 month of skating them made me fed up with big boards for a while, but I just love what Heroin stands for as a company too much to stop riding their decks.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3939 on: October 03, 2021, 04:54:37 PM »
I was hoping that wouldn't be the issue but damn I sure hope that's not true for this one. Snapping two eggs after about 1 month of skating them made me fed up with big boards for a while, but I just love what Heroin stands for as a company too much to stop riding their decks.

How did you go through them or where on the board did they break?

Most commonly snapping the tail (or nose) off at the inner bolt holes is down to a heavy landing and that is the weakest point, but more than a few people have said they are breaking boards more so now than before. 

djoekr

« Reply #3940 on: October 03, 2021, 08:09:35 PM »
The first one broke on the inner holes of the nose while ollieing into a small drop and landing in the worst possible position. The second one was actually on a flatground ollie over a parking block, landed a bit weird and cracks started to show around the middle of the deck. It's not like I'm ollieing down 10 stairs on them or anything. It all happened during low impact stuff where I mess up on my landing.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 08:16:17 PM by djoekr »
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3941 on: October 03, 2021, 08:41:43 PM »
The first one broke on the inner holes of the nose while ollieing into a small drop and landing in the worst possible position. The second one was actually on a flatground ollie over a parking block, landed a bit weird and cracks started to show around the middle of the deck. It's not like I'm ollieing down 10 stairs on them or anything. It all happened during low impact stuff where I mess up on my landing.

oh man..that's a bummer..yeah, probably BBS QC issue s..maybe veneer, maybe glue..

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3942 on: October 03, 2021, 08:51:56 PM »

Yeah I would say that happens with heavy or weird landings, regardless of woodshop.

I have even seen a near new carbon fibre board tail break through the inner bolts on a flat ground flip trick when the guy was so intent on landing it (with brute force), more so than any control, so a normal wood deck is definitely going to break quickly enough with the wrong landings.

People like the guy I am referring to still break boards - all brands, all wood types - and almost always complain about the wood quality, but everyone who skates with him knows how it really is, which is 99% related to his heavy landings.

Anyway, that was not in any way a reference to anyone on here, but more so just a general observation.

Any board of any size can and will break with bad landings, or specific pressure in certain areas.

It sure does suck even more when they are so hard to find or are in limited supply like those Heroin decks.

djoekr

« Reply #3943 on: October 03, 2021, 09:16:06 PM »
Yeah, it's all part of the game and I'm not blaming the brands. Just thought it was striking that only my 9+ BBS decks snapped and all my 8.5 DLX decks were fine. My 8.9 Fried Egg was fine after months of skating it so that made me wonder if the bigger size had anything to do with it.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3944 on: October 03, 2021, 09:27:38 PM »
Yeah, it's all part of the game and I'm not blaming the brands. Just thought it was striking that only my 9+ BBS decks snapped and all my 8.5 DLX decks were fine. My 8.9 Fried Egg was fine after months of skating it so that made me wonder if the bigger size had anything to do with it.

I wonder sometimes, even wood from the same woodshop, some have better batches and all that (which is what people have been saying on Slap), but what I was also thinking is brand new boards are more likely to snap, whereas worn in and well used boards are more likely to bend / flex.

Once they get past that fresh new stage, I enjoy skating them much more, as I think I have broken more new boards than old worn out boards over the years, as have other people I know, the one exception being once they get to a certain age, another guy I know will go bigger on an old deck and do things that he wouldn't be doing on a fresh board.

Anyway, enough from me on that.

More big board pics please...

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3945 on: October 04, 2021, 06:45:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Most def did not need anymore boards in my life, but I couldn’t pass up a opportunity to snag a Winkowski.

[close]

Love that graphic.

I’ve got the same one in the stack. Im also currently skating that same shape with the Trash Panda graphic.

Shape is FUN once you get used to the concave/tail/flat nose.

How are you planning to set it up?
[close]

Just set this Heroin up thinking this would be the closest to a Winkowski I'd ever get

But the set up for the Winkowski would be this after I skate through it:

Indy 169
OJ 58mm 101a
Bronson Ceramics

How is the eyeballer shape wise compared to the winkowski?  I had a couple winkowskis but had to stop skating them due to have no nose.  Looks like the eyeballer has a little more nose

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #3946 on: October 04, 2021, 10:06:30 AM »
2 back to back busy work weeks with a visit to my parents / my sister and niece during the weekend in between means very minimal skating. I skated like shit on Saturday (not that I'm especially good, I'm just someone who needs to skate 3-4 times a week to feel normal on a board usually), so I stopped by the shop Saturday and saw this weird ass shape and thought it might be fun to mess around on.

Frog board that's 10.25 at the widest and 8.5 at the skinniest which is right at the back truck.
Some old 149 hollows I picked up around 5 years back - tossed some new bones mediums in there (back truck feels a little squirrelly but I skate ventures on my primary board so that might be the reason)
54 OJ Keyframes- I might swap these out with a set of 58 mm f4 Spitfire OG Classics I've been sitting on
Reds
Mob (Normally I ride jessup but it's what they handed me at the shop. It's not like I specified anything and I'm cool with it.)

Gripping it was odd because it's wider than a sheet of grip and this was the only thing I could think of that would work.

A little clip from when I first set it up Saturday afternoon and then a little test ride around the skate park when I proceeded to suck at skating on my regular set up Sunday morning. All the tricks I normally do but this board is pretty fun to mess around on. Please have mercy on my nollie flip and switch flip off the "nose" of this thing. I figured out how to do things off the nose now but these were my first attempts.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3947 on: October 04, 2021, 10:43:29 AM »
^ awesome footage.  No idea how you can pop anything off that nose but you made it work

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3948 on: October 04, 2021, 11:24:45 AM »
@Bristol_Palin You just demonstrated how good flip tricks can look on bigger boards.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #3949 on: October 04, 2021, 01:08:05 PM »
gnar'd for that ender

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
« Reply #3950 on: October 04, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Most def did not need anymore boards in my life, but I couldn’t pass up a opportunity to snag a Winkowski.

[close]

Love that graphic.

I’ve got the same one in the stack. Im also currently skating that same shape with the Trash Panda graphic.

[close]

Just set this Heroin up thinking this would be the closest to a Winkowski I'd ever get

Indy 169
OJ 58mm 101a
Bronson Ceramics
[close]

How is the eyeballer shape wise compared to the winkowski?  I had a couple winkowskis but had to stop skating them due to have no nose.  Looks like the eyeballer has a little more nose

Looking side-by-side, they're comparable.

Looking online according to posted specs — Eyeballer has 4.62" of nose; Winkowski is 4.75" of nose.

animalflesh

« Reply #3951 on: October 04, 2021, 01:55:38 PM »
2 back to back busy work weeks with a visit to my parents / my sister and niece during the weekend in between means very minimal skating. I skated like shit on Saturday (not that I'm especially good, I'm just someone who needs to skate 3-4 times a week to feel normal on a board usually), so I stopped by the shop Saturday and saw this weird ass shape and thought it might be fun to mess around on.

Frog board that's 10.25 at the widest and 8.5 at the skinniest which is right at the back truck.
Some old 149 hollows I picked up around 5 years back - tossed some new bones mediums in there (back truck feels a little squirrelly but I skate ventures on my primary board so that might be the reason)
54 OJ Keyframes- I might swap these out with a set of 58 mm f4 Spitfire OG Classics I've been sitting on
Reds
Mob (Normally I ride jessup but it's what they handed me at the shop. It's not like I specified anything and I'm cool with it.)

Gripping it was odd because it's wider than a sheet of grip and this was the only thing I could think of that would work.

A little clip from when I first set it up Saturday afternoon and then a little test ride around the skate park when I proceeded to suck at skating on my regular set up Sunday morning. All the tricks I normally do but this board is pretty fun to mess around on. Please have mercy on my nollie flip and switch flip off the "nose" of this thing. I figured out how to do things off the nose now but these were my first attempts.

Long branch? Rad stuff dude

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #3952 on: October 04, 2021, 03:09:30 PM »
Thank you @BMCsteve @Frank and Fred @sharkin @Thom for the kind words. It's definitely a fun board. I think I was thinking for tricks of the nose since it's barely there I needed to kick down hard to make it flip but the nose honestly works great for tricks when I just got used to it. Nollie flips work good off it now and I did a switch backside flip off the nose that felt good. I was over thinking it. It really just works fine.

Also @Thom yup that's long branch - it's the closest skatepark to my house.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3953 on: October 05, 2021, 12:34:42 AM »

Reds

awesome clip..and i subscribed..

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3954 on: October 05, 2021, 07:13:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Love that graphic.

[close]

Indy 169
OJ 58mm 101a
Bronson Ceramics
[close]

Eyeballer has a deeper concave and a steeper tail as well as a little longer nose.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1067
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3955 on: October 05, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »
I bought this board and re drilled the wb but it felt weird so said screw it and skated it as intended .
Girl Simon love seat
Indy 159 w/mid kingpins and 94a hard Indy bushings
Spitfire f4 99a 53mm og classic
Super Swiss 6
Bender hardware
Jessup scraps
Lil jawn rails

Board in action for my late 40’s 4 trick self

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3956 on: October 05, 2021, 09:38:30 AM »
I bought this board and re drilled the wb but it felt weird so said screw it and skated it as intended .
Girl Simon love seat
Super Swiss 6
Bender hardware
Jessup scraps
Lil jawn rails

Sick wallie!

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3957 on: October 05, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »
Girl Simon love seat
Super Swiss 6
Bender hardware
Jessup scraps
Lil jawn rails

Yes, that were some rad clips.
IG: @flowterspace

Fhk

« Reply #3958 on: October 05, 2021, 12:56:49 PM »
Girl Simon love seat
Super Swiss 6
Bender hardware
Jessup scraps
Lil jawn rails

Damn.. You Fuckin rippah. Nice setup too.

animalflesh

« Reply #3959 on: October 05, 2021, 01:27:49 PM »
If I tried to wallie down on a board that short I’d be shitting bricks