Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 298427 times)

GlenSuggittsflexfit and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Just another skate shop guy
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3990 on: October 08, 2021, 01:55:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Probably showing my ignorance here but what痴 the appeal of sizing up and skating a larger (larger to me being anything above a 8.5) set up? Just curious because I知 considering trying it out because I知 just starting to feel bored of my consistent set up
[close]

For me, the bigger set ups feel more stable and I like having the extra space for my feet when I知 cruising. Trick wise, I like the extra truck space for ledge tricks, though they are harder to pop and flip.

I知 not sure why, but to me it also feels more fun going super fast on big boards.

Yes, definitely feeling way more stable for almost everything (except tech for my lazy legs) but I never worry about weight on any of my boards.

From having my regular setups at 8.38 and 8.5, but also having any number of bigger setups which are fun for a whole lot of things, including but not limited to pump tracks, cruising around when not feeling like skating too hard, recovering from injury, going fast board, slappy curb or similar type of stuff and of course as a lot of people will have a smaller board for tech, then a larger board for transition, bowl, vert, or whatever else they want to skate more so in the parks, bowls, ramps category.

A big board can still do everything a smaller board can too, with more space to land on, if you get used to it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Prostate Exam

• Rep: 68
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3991 on: October 08, 2021, 04:34:38 AM »
Expand Quote

Just got the Curb Killer Meme Contest deck in the mail and I'm having a fierce internal debate about if I should or shouldn't skate this one. Looks way too fun to keep stocked to be honest...
[close]

set it up !!

I have noticed that egg shaped boards have become pretty popular in the past few years. What's the deal with them, I am very curious. Are they especially fun for curb skating or flatground? Do they serve a certain purpose, do you guys who ride them use them only for special terrain or all the time?

feels like shitting backwards

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 107
  • Victim of the Hockey to Krooked pipeline
« Reply #3992 on: October 08, 2021, 04:44:55 AM »
The scoop on eggs just hits different. Since they taper so much over the trucks and through the kicks, they also flip more like a small board while still giving you the wide board landing space.

Sonny Paluso

• Rep: 51
« Reply #3993 on: October 08, 2021, 03:32:00 PM »
Board I just set up was warped. Set this up instead.
Merde 9.125 one off
Tensor Mag 149
Stainless risers
Swiss
Boardy Cakes 99a 48.5 (going small for a change)

Thom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #3994 on: October 08, 2021, 05:42:22 PM »
Digging that

europa1991

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3995 on: October 09, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Probably showing my ignorance here but what痴 the appeal of sizing up and skating a larger (larger to me being anything above a 8.5) set up? Just curious because I知 considering trying it out because I知 just starting to feel bored of my consistent set up
[close]

For me, the bigger set ups feel more stable and I like having the extra space for my feet when I知 cruising. Trick wise, I like the extra truck space for ledge tricks, though they are harder to pop and flip.

I知 not sure why, but to me it also feels more fun going super fast on big boards.
[close]

Yes, definitely feeling way more stable for almost everything (except tech for my lazy legs) but I never worry about weight on any of my boards.

From having my regular setups at 8.38 and 8.5, but also having any number of bigger setups which are fun for a whole lot of things, including but not limited to pump tracks, cruising around when not feeling like skating too hard, recovering from injury, going fast board, slappy curb or similar type of stuff and of course as a lot of people will have a smaller board for tech, then a larger board for transition, bowl, vert, or whatever else they want to skate more so in the parks, bowls, ramps category.

A big board can still do everything a smaller board can too, with more space to land on, if you get used to it.
I知 sold. Been looking at getting one of the Girl couch shapes. What size Aces would anyone recommend?

left knee cap

• Rep: 22
  • $$$$
« Reply #3996 on: October 09, 2021, 04:26:30 PM »
I知 out of my element when it comes to big boards so I feel like this is the right spot to ask

Planning on ordering the Lasek Powell re-issue and I got a pair of Thunder 161s that were given and I was wondering with the shape of the tail will they stick out? Feel like Ace AF1 66s (or any 8.75 truck for that matter) will fit better. Gonna be using it for primarily cruising and the occasional slappys.

Photo of board

GBLange

• Rep: 19
« Reply #3997 on: October 09, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I知 sold. Been looking at getting one of the Girl couch shapes. What size Aces would anyone recommend?

currrently riding the couch shape with 55classics.just a little nut showing on the rear trucks.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3998 on: October 10, 2021, 03:12:02 AM »
I知 out of my element when it comes to big boards so I feel like this is the right spot to ask

Planning on ordering the Lasek Powell re-issue and I got a pair of Thunder 161s that were given and I was wondering with the shape of the tail will they stick out? Feel like Ace AF1 66s (or any 8.75 truck for that matter) will fit better. Gonna be using it for primarily cruising and the occasional slappys.

Photo of board

I'm almost positive that 9" hangers will stick out in front of the Lasek's fish tail. I have a couple of decks in similar shapes, and I always have to put 8.5"-8.75" at most on them.

Great looking shape though!

Skrotum

« Reply #3999 on: October 10, 2021, 05:22:32 PM »

10.34x30.54. 15"WB
MOB
159 ti indy
99a 54mm conical full
 Tapers over the back truck down to 8.25"

I was afraid to get this because of the 15"wb but I was wrong it feels great with the wb (still tre flips great and high pop) for reference i usually skate 14-14.25" wb
I thinks its the crazy concave that makes it work so well
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:51:57 PM by Skrotum »

Slappys Nightmare

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4000 on: October 12, 2021, 06:34:00 PM »

Just got the Curb Killer Meme Contest deck in the mail and I'm having a fierce internal debate about if I should or shouldn't skate this one. Looks way too fun to keep stocked to be honest...

THAT EGG BELONGS TO ME.

theloniousmonk

• Rep: 15
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4001 on: October 13, 2021, 10:55:35 AM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for decks to use with 215痴? Ideally, with a 14-14.25 wheelbase. I壇 get a heroin 10 egg, but can稚 find one for sale online. I am open to redrilling wheelbases. Im leaning towards an egg or popsicle shape. I searched for the 35th ave 10 popsicle as well, but they are out of stock.
Thanks in advance

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #4002 on: October 13, 2021, 11:03:42 AM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for decks to use with 215痴? Ideally, with a 14-14.25 wheelbase. I壇 get a heroin 10 egg, but can稚 find one for sale online. I am open to redrilling wheelbases. Im leaning towards an egg or popsicle shape. I searched for the 35th ave 10 popsicle as well, but they are out of stock.
Thanks in advance

Life Skateboards "twin football" shape. 10" width with a 14.5" WB that can easily be re-drilled.

I see the Wide Boiz IG (and other curb IGs) promoting that brand.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    • Instagram
« Reply #4003 on: October 13, 2021, 11:17:25 AM »

They wouldn't have signed it under the wheels if they wanted you to hang it.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
    • 35th Ave Skates
« Reply #4004 on: October 13, 2021, 01:33:46 PM »
Broke the couch shape so set up this uma Roman
9.25 x 31.75 14.25 wb
Indy 159 hollow w/low kingpins and dlx 94a bushings
Spitfire 53mm 99a og classic
Quantum bearings
Lil jawn rails
Bender Allen hardware
Jessup

off

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #4005 on: October 13, 2021, 01:57:17 PM »
Broke the couch shape so set up this uma Roman
9.25 x 31.75 14.25 wb
Indy 159 hollow w/low kingpins and dlx 94a bushings
Spitfire 53mm 99a og classic
Quantum bearings
Lil jawn rails
Bender Allen hardware
Jessup

great setup
how steep are the kicks?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
    • 35th Ave Skates
« Reply #4006 on: October 13, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
It feels kind of steep, similar to polar. This is a lot like the 1992 but with a longer tail.

theloniousmonk

• Rep: 15
« Reply #4007 on: October 14, 2021, 05:48:22 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance
[close]

Life Skateboards "twin football" shape. 10" width with a 14.5" WB that can easily be re-drilled.

I see the Wide Boiz IG (and other curb IGs) promoting that brand.
Thanks for this! I remember seeing their site before and thinking they had some interesting shapes, I知 gonna order one next paycheck

Thom

« Reply #4008 on: October 14, 2021, 07:42:54 AM »
Happy early Halloween 🎃

This deck was a Halloween present from the lady

Vision Groholski reissue (10.0)
Indy stage 10 159 with white front bushings and riptide pivots (Yell exit Macho Taildrop for the trucks)
1/8 risers
Dogtown k-9 street (57mm)
Big Balls
Rib Bones

Stoked on this one

djoekr

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4009 on: October 14, 2021, 08:04:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They wouldn't have signed it under the wheels if they wanted you to hang it.

Already gripped it and installed the rails, I'll take it to the local parking lot curb spot once the weather gets better. I want to skate my Craig Questions Heroin some more before I switch up my setup again.

off

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #4010 on: October 14, 2021, 02:25:02 PM »
Happy early Halloween 🎃

This deck was a Halloween present from the lady

Vision Groholski reissue (10.0)
Indy stage 10 159 with white front bushings and riptide pivots (Yell exit Macho Taildrop for the trucks)
1/8 risers
Dogtown k-9 street (57mm)
Big Balls
Rib Bones

Stoked on this one
great setup
any benefits for going with a short deck/long wb combo for transition compared to a standard popsicle? have been eyeing those sort of shapes lately for a dedicated transition board
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

beandemon

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4011 on: October 14, 2021, 03:08:29 PM »
I dunno, but a <32 board with a long wb feels more maneuverable to me than a 33+ deck with a normal wheelbase. If I haven稚 ridden a popsicle in a while, I値l literally be tripping over the big ass nose trying to bail or kick it away.

Woodshop

• Rep: 26
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #4012 on: October 14, 2021, 04:34:49 PM »

great setup
any benefits for going with a short deck/long wb combo for transition compared to a standard popsicle? have been eyeing those sort of shapes lately for a dedicated transition board

Longer wheelbase decks are more stable for the most part, but then turn slower than decks with shorter wheelbases (regardless of the truck and bushing setup), which is why the older vert ramp setups were so stable for getting up to pretty high speeds on the bigger ramps.

That is not to say that those boards are not fun to ride anywhere, on any size transition or even for other things, like pump tracks with soft wheels, but the shapes with minimal to no nose also mean that the board is very much a "one way ride" when compared to a popsicle - eg skate the tail more so on an old skool shape, vs skate the nose and the tail on a popsicle or double kicked board.

Sometimes it is fun to see what people can actually do on 80s boards anyway, such as that video of Andrew Cannon / the NHS guys skating the Natas blind bag boards when they came out.

Overall 80s style boards are definitely lots of fun as a transition setups, no matter what your skill level or trick bag is, with so many younger skaters jumping on some of the 80s style setups and having a great time at the indoor park where I am.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #4013 on: October 14, 2021, 06:39:38 PM »
Expand Quote

great setup
[close]

Longer wheelbase decks are more stable for the most part, but then turn slower than decks with shorter wheelbases (regardless of the truck and bushing setup), which is why the older vert ramp setups were so stable for getting up to pretty high speeds on the bigger ramps.

That is not to say that those boards are not fun to ride anywhere, on any size transition or even for other things, like pump tracks with soft wheels, but the shapes with minimal to no nose also mean that the board is very much a "one way ride" when compared to a popsicle - eg skate the tail more so on an old skool shape, vs skate the nose and the tail on a popsicle or double kicked board.

Sometimes it is fun to see what people can actually do on 80s boards anyway, such as that video of Andrew Cannon / the NHS guys skating the Natas blind bag boards when they came out.

Overall 80s style boards are definitely lots of fun as a transition setups, no matter what your skill level or trick bag is, with so many younger skaters jumping on some of the 80s style setups and having a great time at the indoor park where I am.

They're also a blast as curb boards.

djoekr

• Rep: 9
The Heroin shaped decks are a happy medium between old school pig shapes and modern decks for me. Currently skating the Craig Questions shape and it's got the square tail but the nose is big enough that it's still possible to pop off it.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
The Heroin shaped decks are a happy medium between old school pig shapes and modern decks for me. Currently skating the Craig Questions shape and it's got the square tail but the nose is big enough that it's still possible to pop off it.

This is where I cross my line too, got 2 New Deal reissues as soon as they were out, and I had to change them both after a few months (got a quiver) because they were too "one way".

Going to set-up the Chico Krooked Guest board instead.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Thom

Thanks off

Yeah so I skate some pretty 塗and done types of transition and it can get steep and stuff

I like that I don稚 have to worry about the nose jamming when I知 trying to skate like a bank to wall or a steep quarter

I also just think 80s shapes are awesome looking the big fat tail combined with the short nose looks sick and that痴 important to me too

My girlfriend actually picked this for me completely free of any input but she knows what I like

disclosed

i love 80's shapes but on modern concave and under 15'' wheelbase.
long wheelbases are shit on steep transition.
prefer a 5" nose, can still pop off that and do noseslides on the tail. the board i have now has a 4'' nose and it freaks me out when i ride it backwards.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
    • Foulweather

Do some tricks to fakie on a 10' wall and see how nice that 15" wheelbase can feel.

disclosed

Expand Quote

[close]

Do some tricks to fakie on a 10' wall and see how nice that 15" wheelbase can feel.

i simply dont do that. hell not even planning to. fakie is my weak point.
but with steep i mean the really abrupt short transition, thats more likely on small quarters or shallow ends in pools. most parks in my area have that and i just coulnt skate them comfortably on 15.5 and 16" wheelbases. 14/14.25 do way better there but i hate those on big transition. so i found my sweet spot at 14.75"