Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 539263 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4740 on: June 01, 2022, 08:12:29 PM »

krooked sweatpants thanks @big_kev_215
venture 6.1 hollow w/cast plates
nfg short tops 95a + supercush 94a bottoms + nfg pivots
f4 radial full 58mm 99a now 56
mini logo bearings
shake hunt hardware
jessup

dedicated transition/slappy/fun board
tried flipping this around and its just not worth the effort
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4741 on: June 01, 2022, 09:23:30 PM »

35th Ave. 10.5 Popsicle
Indy 169s
Road CrewXScram 62mm bombers
Indy allen hardware
Indy 1/4” risers
Bones Reds
Jessup

That’s awesome! Looks tiny and huge at the same time. Total mindfuck. How does it skate?

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #4742 on: June 02, 2022, 04:27:33 AM »
@PRISON IKE dude that’s a rad set up, don’t take this the wrong way, it looks like a full-size tech deck and that rules.

@off dude how do you like the sweatpants graphic/shape? I’ve been wanting to get one but the wb is so short it scares me
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
« Reply #4743 on: June 02, 2022, 05:11:57 AM »
@PRISON IKE dude that’s a rad set up, don’t take this the wrong way, it looks like a full-size tech deck and that rules.

Thanks and no offense taken. As soon as I got it together last night I thought the exact same thing!

That’s awesome! Looks tiny and huge at the same time. Total mindfuck. How does it skate?

I got the parts in late yesterday and got it together late. I was only able to take it down the block and mess around in the driveway but I can give some initial thoughts.

I bought the scram wheels first and decided to build around them. The scram wheels are just massive in person. It’s kind of hard to really describe how wide they are but I saw them on slap because another member had gotten them and knew I wanted them.

I decided to basically build a cruiser that was super stable but still nimble enough to mess around on in a bowl or on a curb.

The deck has a 15”wb but that’s never really bothered me and my last true cruiser had a larger wb.

First impressions were that I loved it. It was more nimble than a traditional cruiser but still had a nice stable platform. It’s also heavy. That’s a ton of wood and urethane. It didn’t take long to get used to ollie it. Again super stable and just really fun to carve around on. I’m a bigger guy so the extra weight wasn’t a huge concern for me. I’ve got it in my truck and I’m going to push around on my lunch break.

It won’t be my main ride but it’s going to get a ton of use if my impressions of it stay the same. Even if I only use it as a cruiser I am really happy with the build. I want to get a little more comfortable on it and get in a bowl with it to see what’s good.

TLDR: not a lot of time on it but I like it a lot, it’s stable, it’s heavy.

EDIT: I did want to mention. It’s a 10.5 board and I am running 169s and there is about 1/4” of deck past the wheel. Across the bolts is pretty damn close to 10.5 as well. The scram wheels have a huge offset. I initially wanted to run 215s on this board but was worried the wheels would be way out there. After getting it together I am pretty sure I could have run 215s and run the wheels with the graphic in and gotten close to the same width I have now. Just a fyi for anyone looking at getting these wheels.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 05:20:24 AM by PRISON IKE »
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #4744 on: June 02, 2022, 08:11:45 AM »
Everybody is 90% correct about their guesses

Also, why are you so opposed to a Mandy board? I almost got one to hang on my wall
i found out about the heroin/mandy collab through this thread and was set on getting one for the wall until i actually saw the graphics, what the hell is this

and then there's the one that's just the movie poster, which is fine, but pretty low effort
the one posted in here earlier i'm ambivalent on and i think might only have positive feelings towards it because it says "mandy"
this one actually is sick but the illustrations would make better standalone graphics, like they should have just separated these illustrations out into a series of decks

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 114
« Reply #4745 on: June 02, 2022, 09:03:34 AM »
Not a board but...

Thunder 181s.
10"

Enjoy your life.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4746 on: June 02, 2022, 10:17:47 AM »
@off dude how do you like the sweatpants graphic/shape? I’ve been wanting to get one but the wb is so short it scares me
shape is really nice, wide at the front and 8.75 at the back
coming from a 14" wb, it doesnt feel short at all
comfortable on 5' transition but i dont go much bigger than that
if you like 14.5 id say its worth a shot
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

animalflesh

« Reply #4747 on: June 02, 2022, 12:29:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Everybody is 90% correct about their guesses

Also, why are you so opposed to a Mandy board? I almost got one to hang on my wall
[close]
i found out about the heroin/mandy collab through this thread and was set on getting one for the wall until i actually saw the graphics, what the hell is this

and then there's the one that's just the movie poster, which is fine, but pretty low effort
the one posted in here earlier i'm ambivalent on and i think might only have positive feelings towards it because it says "mandy"
this one actually is sick but the illustrations would make better standalone graphics, like they should have just separated these illustrations out into a series of decks

I was kinda bummed on no cheddar goblin graphic like wtf?

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4748 on: June 02, 2022, 12:39:38 PM »

Alright this one is kinda cool though

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4749 on: June 02, 2022, 01:27:38 PM »

35th Ave. 10.5 Popsicle
Indy 169s
Road CrewXScram 62mm bombers
Indy allen hardware
Indy 1/4” risers
Bones Reds
Jessup

Love to see a 35th board in here! Thanks for the support.

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
« Reply #4750 on: June 02, 2022, 02:20:05 PM »
Love to see a 35th board in here! Thanks for the support.

Yes sir! I actually found out about the big pop from this thread. Thanks for making something unique. I don’t know if a lot of people wanted them but I was really happy to get one. I was actively looking for this exact type of deck. I’m on my second day skating it and it’s awesome.
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4751 on: June 02, 2022, 08:37:05 PM »
Cross post from set up thread bc I have never had a 9" popsicle before...

Hate to stray from the Huffer but these wheels did not look on the Huffer shape and so I got a Polar with wheel wells in the Memorial Day Sale.

9" Shin
Ace 55 Classics
60mm OG F4 Classics
1/4" risers in the photo but replaced with 1'8" Real wooden risers.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #4752 on: June 02, 2022, 09:23:28 PM »
I was kinda bummed on no cheddar goblin graphic like wtf?
see, that just shows they blew the collab. if they had a cheddar goblin box graphic like one of those dgk cereal parody boards it would be an instant cop.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #4753 on: June 04, 2022, 09:03:55 PM »

Crossposting from the set-up thread:

Skated a couch shape at the beginning of the year and liked it a lot.  I didn’t spend as much time as I should’ve on it back then before I moved on to something else.  Figured I’d kick off the summer with another one and skate it for a more respectable period of time.

TheSickness

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4754 on: June 05, 2022, 02:23:39 AM »
I'm on my 2nd couch in a row atm, I don't see myself skating any other shape for the foreseeable future...I just got my 3rd, waiting on ice...Skating em with 6.1 v-hollow Ventures is the perfect setup!!

Monopolyman

« Reply #4755 on: June 05, 2022, 12:11:57 PM »
https://theheatedwheel.com/products/slam-time

Just nabbed this 9.6 Heated Wheel board and my puzzle brain is already trying to assemble the perfect set up.

It’s gonna be my ramp board so I’m thinking some 56mm+ spitfires?  Also I’ve only ever ridden Independents… 149s, 159s…

Asking those who know… would throwing Ace 66’s on this thing A) be a comfy transition, and B) would they fit well with the taper of this board?  Definitely could take some pointers on truck size in general from anyone who’s handled this one before!

Thanks in advance.  Extremely fired up about this board, it’s a dream deck for me.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #4756 on: June 05, 2022, 02:06:38 PM »

Just nabbed this 9.6 Heated Wheel board and my puzzle brain is already trying to assemble the perfect set up.

It’s gonna be my ramp board so I’m thinking some 56mm+ spitfires?  Also I’ve only ever ridden Independents… 149s, 159s…

Asking those who know… would throwing Ace 66’s on this thing A) be a comfy transition, and B) would they fit well with the taper of this board?  Definitely could take some pointers on truck size in general from anyone who’s handled this one before!

Thanks in advance.  Extremely fired up about this board, it’s a dream deck for me.

I match truck size to the rear truck mounting holes.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #4757 on: June 05, 2022, 02:19:54 PM »
I'm on my 2nd couch in a row atm, I don't see myself skating any other shape for the foreseeable future...I just got my 3rd, waiting on ice...Skating em with 6.1 v-hollow Ventures is the perfect setup!!

Yeah I do really like the shape.  I skated the last one on 169s and I’m skating this one on 159s.  I do a lot of tailslide/switch noseslides and I really like the size and shape of the tail for those.  I have too many decks on ice to buy another couch if I fall in love with this one but we’ll see what happens…

Monopolyman

« Reply #4758 on: June 05, 2022, 04:22:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Copy, I’ll have to wait til I get my hands on it!

If anyone has suggestions though I’m open to them.

Thinking 159s/Ace 55s(?) would fit, but I shall see

I recently put indy 149s on a 9 inch symmetrical egg heroin board since the taper was 8.6 at the bolts, and its worked great so far… and I wouldve expected bigger trucks would be required so definitely trying not to jump to any conclusions here  :D

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4759 on: June 05, 2022, 04:54:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I recently put indy 149s on a 9 inch symmetrical egg heroin board since the taper was 8.6 at the bolts, and its worked great so far… and I wouldve expected bigger trucks would be required so definitely trying not to jump to any conclusions here  :D

I gotta think some Ace 60/66s and some 56mm Radial Fulls would make that sing.

Monopolyman

« Reply #4760 on: June 05, 2022, 05:05:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice, appreciate it.  You recommend AF1, I take it?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4761 on: June 05, 2022, 09:07:07 PM »
You can always use something to measure the dimensions from a pic of the deck. I used this site recently and it worked really well:
https://eleif.net/photo_measure.html

Just upload the pic and put the reference line on the widest part of the deck, enter width of the deck for the reference line and then draw lines to where the axles would be and read the widths on the table.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4762 on: June 05, 2022, 09:40:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Honestly, I’ve only skated the AF1s to the degree that I’d be comfortable recommending them. I have some Classics and old Lows, but I haven’t put them into the rotation because I’m worried their future might be short. Trying to commit to stuff I know is going to be around for a while.

Monopolyman

« Reply #4763 on: June 05, 2022, 09:48:46 PM »
You can always use something to measure the dimensions from a pic of the deck. I used this site recently and it worked really well:

Just upload the pic and put the reference line on the widest part of the deck, enter width of the deck for the reference line and then draw lines to where the axles would be and read the widths on the table.

Haha wow that was super satisfying.  Thank you.  Looks like 9.1 or so by the tail.

Monopolyman

« Reply #4764 on: June 05, 2022, 09:54:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Honestly, I’ve only skated the AF1s to the degree that I’d be comfortable recommending them. I have some Classics and old Lows, but I haven’t put them into the rotation because I’m worried their future might be short. Trying to commit to stuff I know is going to be around for a while.

Copy, I snagged some AF1’s 66s since that 9 inch hangar seems really versatile for future and fits the Heated Wheel board nicely, based on the Criminal Minds-style geometry webware I was kindly shown.

Also got some Oski 57mm Spitfire radials  :D

Thank you for the input!

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4765 on: June 05, 2022, 10:22:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Haha wow that was super satisfying.  Thank you.  Looks like 9.1 or so by the tail.

i will take some photos tomorrow for you if you would like showing different trucks on the deck

Monopolyman

« Reply #4766 on: June 05, 2022, 10:31:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
i will take some photos tomorrow for you if you would like showing different trucks on the deck

You are too kind!  I am committing to AF1 66s so it’s all good, but I truly appreciate it!

And thanks for all of help and feedback here.  I’m even more stoked about the setup than when I started, appreciate the positive energy y’all

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4767 on: June 06, 2022, 02:18:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I am more curious about the wheelbase, mainly thinking redrilling it down to about 15 would be way more comfortable than at 15.75 which is what was listed.

It almost seems like the wheelbase is drilled into the concave of the nose, but it is also funny that the BBS dot mark was so far below the current holes, which is about where I would think the front truck would sit best.

With all that, I have only seen pics - detailed pics, but still it doesn't compare to the real thing in front of me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

VarialDisease

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4768 on: June 06, 2022, 09:12:32 AM »
I love these. I wish they were produced regularly. 9.25x31.8. Adjustable 14.25/14.75 WB. Would be sick if they had wheel wells.

w/
159 Independents
55mm F4 OG Classics.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #4769 on: June 06, 2022, 09:15:44 AM »

the couch / love seat is my fav shape from crail..apart from the quasi 9" egg which also has the short wheelbase and heroin 9.75" symmetricals..