Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 540307 times)

Monopolyman

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4770 on: June 06, 2022, 09:31:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You can always use something to measure the dimensions from a pic of the deck. I used this site recently and it worked really well:
https://eleif.net/photo_measure.html

Just upload the pic and put the reference line on the widest part of the deck, enter width of the deck for the reference line and then draw lines to where the axles would be and read the widths on the table.
[close]

Haha wow that was super satisfying.  Thank you.  Looks like 9.1 or so by the tail.

[close]
i will take some photos tomorrow for you if you would like showing different trucks on the deck
[close]

I am more curious about the wheelbase, mainly thinking redrilling it down to about 15 would be way more comfortable than at 15.75 which is what was listed.

It almost seems like the wheelbase is drilled into the concave of the nose, but it is also funny that the BBS dot mark was so far below the current holes, which is about where I would think the front truck would sit best.

With all that, I have only seen pics - detailed pics, but still it doesn't compare to the real thing in front of me.

Its part of why I wanted to try this board, I’m pretty tall (basically Blender’s size) with big feet so I’m hoping the oversized wheelbase helps this fit a little better.  I sometimes feel like I need something more substantial when I’m riding ramps.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #4771 on: June 06, 2022, 09:37:17 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm on my 2nd couch in a row atm, I don't see myself skating any other shape for the foreseeable future...I just got my 3rd, waiting on ice...Skating em with 6.1 v-hollow Ventures is the perfect setup!!
[close]

the couch / love seat is my fav shape from crail..apart from the quasi 9" egg which also has the short wheelbase and heroin 9.75" symmetricals..

I'm currently trying to decide if I get a love seat or the quasi egg. Quasi seems to taper more, slightly shorter wheelbase. Any other differences that could influence my decision?

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4772 on: June 06, 2022, 04:18:55 PM »

9.125 shop deck
Ace 44 classic, 3 rings
1/16" shock pads
Boardycakes 49.9mm

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #4773 on: June 06, 2022, 05:12:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You can always use something to measure the dimensions from a pic of the deck. I used this site recently and it worked really well:

Just upload the pic and put the reference line on the widest part of the deck, enter width of the deck for the reference line and then draw lines to where the axles would be and read the widths on the table.
[close]

Haha wow that was super satisfying.  Thank you.  Looks like 9.1 or so by the tail.

[close]
i will take some photos tomorrow for you if you would like showing different trucks on the deck
[close]

You are too kind!  I am committing to AF1 66s so it’s all good, but I truly appreciate it!

And thanks for all of help and feedback here.  I’m even more stoked about the setup than when I started, appreciate the positive energy y’all
measured it anyways.

WB 15.75, 9.0 front axle, 8.75 back axle.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4774 on: June 06, 2022, 08:50:18 PM »

9.125 shop deck
Ace 44 classic, 3 rings
1/16" shock pads
Boardycakes 49.9mm

What a looker!

How do you like the shock pads?  I've always been tempted to try some but I've also been extremely lazy about it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4775 on: June 06, 2022, 11:15:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm on my 2nd couch in a row atm, I don't see myself skating any other shape for the foreseeable future...I just got my 3rd, waiting on ice...Skating em with 6.1 v-hollow Ventures is the perfect setup!!
[close]

the couch / love seat is my fav shape from crail..apart from the quasi 9" egg which also has the short wheelbase and heroin 9.75" symmetricals..
[close]

I'm currently trying to decide if I get a love seat or the quasi egg. Quasi seems to taper more, slightly shorter wheelbase. Any other differences that could influence my decision?
personally I like the fuller shape of the nose on the couch/ loveseat, can sit on those slappy nose slides for hours! Squarer kick is also easy for me to stay stable with tail slide tricks… personal preference though!

P.s. also loving my love seat atm

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4776 on: June 07, 2022, 06:39:33 AM »
Expand Quote

9.125 shop deck
Ace 44 classic, 3 rings
1/16" shock pads
Boardycakes 49.9mm
[close]

What a looker!

How do you like the shock pads?  I've always been tempted to try some but I've also been extremely lazy about it.

I love them. I skate my boards forever and like to try and avoid pressure cracks for as long as possible, so I've always been into softer risers. With the hight and density on these, they don't really change the pop feel at all and I'll throw them under regular 1/8" risers if I am using them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4777 on: June 07, 2022, 06:49:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I am more curious about the wheelbase, mainly thinking redrilling it down to about 15 would be way more comfortable than at 15.75 which is what was listed.

It almost seems like the wheelbase is drilled into the concave of the nose, but it is also funny that the BBS dot mark was so far below the current holes, which is about where I would think the front truck would sit best.

With all that, I have only seen pics - detailed pics, but still it doesn't compare to the real thing in front of me.
[close]

Its part of why I wanted to try this board, I’m pretty tall (basically Blender’s size) with big feet so I’m hoping the oversized wheelbase helps this fit a little better.  I sometimes feel like I need something more substantial when I’m riding ramps.

That should definitely work for what you have in mind, as well as the option to drill it down a little.

The best thing with those sort of boards is how stable they are at speed, as per a couple of other guys who skate bigger ramps and bowls with the Duane Peters shaped boards with 16" wb, which were quite comfortable for me even just pumping half way up the vert ramp after their session on day, and no I can't skate vert at all but like watching it.

I have a Lucero 9.25" with 15.5" wb, set up more as a cruiser right now, but I can definitely feel the length on that, compared to other boards I have, also cruisers / similar setups with 15" wb which are a bit more "spot on" feeling for that sort of setup.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4778 on: June 07, 2022, 07:02:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
personally I like the fuller shape of the nose on the couch/ loveseat, can sit on those slappy nose slides for hours! Squarer kick is also easy for me to stay stable with tail slide tricks… personal preference though!

Just got to try someones quasi egg and the tail was extremely flat, which isn't what I like. Is the loveseat a bit steeper? Are they all the same or is it like DLX where you just don't know which concave you're gonna get?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4779 on: June 07, 2022, 11:31:56 AM »
Expand Quote

35th Ave. 10.5 Popsicle
Indy 169s
Road CrewXScram 62mm bombers
Indy allen hardware
Indy 1/4” risers
Bones Reds
Jessup

[close]
Love to see a 35th board in here! Thanks for the support.

That candy apple red stain is on point.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4780 on: June 07, 2022, 02:11:09 PM »

9.125 shop deck
Ace 44 classic, 3 rings
1/16" shock pads
Boardycakes 49.9mm

Nice to see Quasi started its own shop

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4781 on: June 07, 2022, 05:35:19 PM »
Expand Quote

9.125 shop deck
Ace 44 classic, 3 rings
1/16" shock pads
Boardycakes 49.9mm
[close]

Such a good strip down though.  I recall talk about this before, but even that wood stain looks nice as a blank.

https://www.tactics.com/tactics/tko-9125-skateboard-deck/brown

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #4782 on: June 08, 2022, 09:05:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just got to try someones quasi egg and the tail was extremely flat, which isn't what I like. Is the loveseat a bit steeper? Are they all the same or is it like DLX where you just don't know which concave you're gonna get?

yup, the tail on the quasi egg is flat.loveseat is steeper..quasi has a more traditional egg shape which i personally like. had thunder 149ti on the quasi.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4783 on: June 08, 2022, 09:23:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yup, the tail on the quasi egg is flat.loveseat is steeper..quasi has a more traditional egg shape which i personally like. had thunder 149ti on the quasi.

Thank you! That seals the deal

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #4784 on: June 08, 2022, 02:06:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

35th Ave. 10.5 Popsicle
Indy 169s
Indy allen hardware
Indy 1/4” risers
Bones Reds
Jessup

[close]
[close]

I swooped the last four 10in last night and as much as I don’t want a red top it’s too sexy to not ride if I get one

Black stain looks tight too but it doesn’t matter what color they are
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #4785 on: June 08, 2022, 07:29:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

35th Ave. 10.5 Popsicle
Indy 169s
Indy allen hardware
Indy 1/4” risers
Bones Reds
Jessup

[close]
[close]

[close]

I swooped the last four 10in last night and as much as I don’t want a red top it’s too sexy to not ride if I get one

I’m skating a red top that I had on ice now after being afraid to for the last year. It’s the best board I’ve had all year and I’ve relearned a lot on it. It’s not that deck, just a regular 8.5 just to clarify.
Stoked to get past the red top
plague

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4786 on: June 08, 2022, 09:05:04 PM »
My side set up. Had a fun sesh with hit today. Makes everything a bit harder but its a whole lotta fun

Frog Alba 10" (8.25" at the back truck)
Ace classic 55
Jessup
7/8 phillips
Olympia bearings
Spits f4 97 54mm conical full
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2tdeFzfGFH0
Untitled by

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #4787 on: June 08, 2022, 11:15:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

35th Ave. 10.5 Popsicle
Indy 169s
Indy allen hardware
Indy 1/4” risers
Bones Reds
Jessup

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I’m skating a red top that I had on ice now after being afraid to for the last year. It’s the best board I’ve had all year and I’ve relearned a lot on it. It’s not that deck, just a regular 8.5 just to clarify.
Stoked to get past the red top
plague
I’ve never had a red top that I enjoyed. I’ve tried to get over that shit but a no go

Red is my favorite color too
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 724
« Reply #4788 on: June 09, 2022, 06:13:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I do really like the shape.  I skated the last one on 169s and I’m skating this one on 159s.  I do a lot of tailslide/switch noseslides and I really like the size and shape of the tail for those.  I have too many decks on ice to buy another couch if I fall in love with this one but we’ll see what happens…

Could be my usual case of fall-in-love-with-every-board syndrome but honestly the couch might be the best shape out there.  Feels perfect on the 159s too.  I wish Krooked or Polar (or really any company I actually would like to support) would accidentally make the same shape but it looks like I will be giving Crail more money in the future…

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4789 on: June 09, 2022, 06:48:53 AM »
Expand Quote

9.125 shop deck
Ace 44 classic, 3 rings
1/16" shock pads
Boardycakes 49.9mm
[close]

Considered just being like "9.125 Quasi Proto" but I am trying to avoid mischief on this trip around the boards.

Bent the axle on the Aces (first time doing it so be still, haters) so swapping them for my 149s. Might also go back to the big wheels but IDK.

djoekr

• Rep: 294
« Reply #4790 on: June 09, 2022, 07:11:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I do really like the shape.  I skated the last one on 169s and I’m skating this one on 159s.  I do a lot of tailslide/switch noseslides and I really like the size and shape of the tail for those.  I have too many decks on ice to buy another couch if I fall in love with this one but we’ll see what happens…
[close]

Could be my usual case of fall-in-love-with-every-board syndrome but honestly the couch might be the best shape out there.  Feels perfect on the 159s too.  I wish Krooked or Polar (or really any company I actually would like to support) would accidentally make the same shape but it looks like I will be giving Crail more money in the future…

I thought I was alone in this regard. Every first couple of sessions that I'm on a new width/shape I skate better than ever. I'd think that I've found my holy grail shape and then skate something completely different and fall in love all over again. It's just in boards too as I always ride 149/159s with 54mm F4 conical fulls but I can't seem to settle on one definite deck.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 724
« Reply #4791 on: June 09, 2022, 11:33:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I thought I was alone in this regard. Every first couple of sessions that I'm on a new width/shape I skate better than ever. I'd think that I've found my holy grail shape and then skate something completely different and fall in love all over again. It's just in boards too as I always ride 149/159s with 54mm F4 conical fulls but I can't seem to settle on one definite deck.

I’m in the same boat.  I’m completely committed to 159s/169s and Spitfires.  But my go-to move is getting a new shaped board or pair of shoes, becoming obsessed with them in the first week or two, immediately ordering a second of said product, and by the time I get around to using the second of said product I’m over it or something else has caught my eye. 

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1067
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4792 on: June 09, 2022, 04:38:40 PM »
We must all suffer from the same thing, I have a great session on a board, hoard a few from the shop or order gear and plan to skate a few and by the time they show up I'm over it and on to something else.
I have a pile of slightly used big shaped boards if anyone is interested in buying a few and having them shipped just dm me.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #4793 on: June 09, 2022, 08:25:48 PM »
i just luv it when people say "that's a huge board".. ppl here just ride mostly ride 8"..

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #4794 on: June 10, 2022, 05:08:24 AM »
Crosspost from the set up thread

Frog egg 9.12” x 32.06” with a 14.375” wb
Jessup (it don’t mess up)
Film 155 trucks
Spitfire f4 54mm conical fulls 97a
Bones big balls
7/8” Allen hardware
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4795 on: June 10, 2022, 05:27:39 AM »
Does 8.75 count? I love this thing. Wide popsicle with small wheels. It only weighs 2440g too (yeah I weighed all my boards last night lol).

Powell Peralta Iridescent Bark Mantis Flight Shape 245 8.75x32.95x15” + Jessup
Royal Ultra Light 159 8.75” + Bones Hard 96a
Spitfire F4 Classic 99a 52mm
Mini Logos + spacers
Shorty's Silverados 7/8"

animalflesh

« Reply #4796 on: June 10, 2022, 06:03:49 AM »
Crosspost from the set up thread

Expand Quote

Frog egg 9.12” x 32.06” with a 14.375” wb
Jessup (it don’t mess up)
Film 155 trucks
Spitfire f4 54mm conical fulls 97a
Bones big balls
7/8” Allen hardware
[close]

🔥🔥🔥

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4797 on: June 10, 2022, 08:16:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Actually one more loveseat question because I'm mad.
Wanted to buy one right now, but the graphics are just so terrible. This makes me think of buying a couch (the green one looks nice), and if it's too wide at some spot, just sanding it down into more of a loveseat.

So my last question is, are the loveseat and the couch the exact same concave? Can I just turn a couch into a normal loveseat or would I end up with a super low concave loveseat?

bryan

• Rep: 26
« Reply #4798 on: June 10, 2022, 01:07:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Actually one more loveseat question because I'm mad.
Wanted to buy one right now, but the graphics are just so terrible. This makes me think of buying a couch (the green one looks nice), and if it's too wide at some spot, just sanding it down into more of a loveseat.

So my last question is, are the loveseat and the couch the exact same concave? Can I just turn a couch into a normal loveseat or would I end up with a super low concave loveseat?

I had the same issue, I was waiting for decent loveseat graphics to come out but they never did, picked up one of the crail ones on sale. I'm too lazy to sand it off.

Both loveseat + couch boards and most/all the regular crail boards all use the same "OG concave" stamped on top. I have a loveseat + g027 + g069 with all the same concave when put on top of each other, different wheelbase. Loveseat + couch have the same length nose/tail just one is wider, one might have a more square tail but maybe it's an illusion.

crail changed woodshops a few years ago, it's a little steeper now but all boards from the same woodshop have the same concave.

qweenmess

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4799 on: June 11, 2022, 05:33:13 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with/recommendations for 9"-9.5" decks with a longer wheelbase (14.25"+)? Only thing that's stood out to me is the double drilled Krooked Cresant