Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533745 times)

144p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5460 on: May 06, 2023, 08:04:52 AM »
Being a successful brand is a huge challenge.
Fos has always made creative boards, when the collective responds to something you should run with it.
But I think this silly eggzilla is the jump the shark moment for them. They make fun shapes and have a creative team, don’t lose sight of that. Keep up with the eggs but it can’t keep going.

roll_dog

« Reply #5461 on: May 06, 2023, 09:50:20 AM »
Idk, I dig it. Does everyone company have to be that serious? And if so aren't there already a lot of those companies out there already? How come grimple stix true full gets a pass but this is a jump the shark moment for heroin??

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #5462 on: May 06, 2023, 10:03:16 AM »
Whats wrong with it? Fos wanted to do something funny and silly, so he did. It’s not like he’s staking the future of the company on those boards.

Will I buy one? No. Will I watch people have fun skating on one? Hell yea.

oliknight

« Reply #5463 on: May 06, 2023, 10:15:47 AM »
I don’t have a problem with the silly shapes, I pretty much only skate Scram and Krooked 9.81 boards, I’ve skated a few heroin decks too, I have absolutely no issue with what Fos is doing, I think it’s more the hoarders who follow them, it’s not just heroin but I get lightly triggered seeing piles of unused boards and that’s what springs to mind when I think of that company. Maybe I’m just jealous.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5464 on: May 06, 2023, 10:50:08 AM »
Idk, I dig it. Does everyone company have to be that serious? And if so aren't there already a lot of those companies out there already? How come grimple stix true full gets a pass but this is a jump the shark moment for heroin??

It's the cool and trendy thing to hate on everything

I would've tried to buy the Eggzilla if it wasn't $215  :'(

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5465 on: May 06, 2023, 12:38:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Do Heroin still have a team? Just seems to be that Swampy dude 24/7 these days?
[close]

I fucking love Heroin, Earth Goblin was the first full-length and I watched and I immediately fell in love with the brand aesthetic, but the recent months I've seen way too much 'silly guy on a wide board'-footage from them. And that's coming from someone who loves silly tricks and wide boards.
[close]

No offence whatsoever to Fos because I think he is a great guy but I think that Heroin just seems to be predominantly a company for people who like to collect stuff, 90% of their community online is just people who have dozens and dozens of pristine setups that they will never skate, at this point it seems like he is selling art more than skateboards, which I guess is cool on its own way!

I couldn’t agree less with that perspective. He has done some limited stuff recently but I know tons of people (myself included) who skate the shit out of their Heroin decs.

The brand does appeal more to older skaters, I think, but that doesn’t mean it’s just a hype beast style company. People also forget it’s been around for 20+ years. They do drops every quarter with plenty of supply to fill skate shops and their own website. I’ve never had trouble getting 8.75 popsicles or the 9.4 egg shape I like.

Also, it’s disingenuous to say “no offense” and then make a wild and completely anecdotal claim that 90% of Heroin fans don’t even skate.

darkthrone

• Rep: 154
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5466 on: May 06, 2023, 12:40:53 PM »
Hey all, Fos here. Hope you're all good. Wanted to talk about Eggzilla for a minute. Had a blast making that board, I had the idea for it last year and had to talk to three or four different factories about making it happen because our regular factory couldn't make boards that big.
First thing I wanted to address was the price, I know it's quite a lot, but the cost of goods was really high, they have to use much wider plies and it increases the cost so much. So I was hesitant to even do this board at first because of this. I grew up pretty poor, working in factories to get money for boards and shoes, and I'd always buy stuff that was on sale or blemished, so the idea of a $220 board was a bit much for me at first. I thought about having it as a Heroin web store exclusive and we'd have maybe been able to do a small run and have em at $150 or so, but then I wanted the shops to be able to get some, and be involved, so we off-set the pricing to work with them. Originally we were just going to run 100, but the factory said the minimum was 150, so we went for it. I didn't have any idea that it'd go as wild as it did, we sold the 40 on our site in under one minute. and 100 went to stores and the rest to the team, I barely managed to save one for myself.
So I think it's safe to say that the $220 price ticket didn't scare anyone off.
Secondly I wanted to talk about collectors and re-sellers. I know a lot of the people that got them from our site are already trying to figure out how to get the right trucks to set them up, so it's definitely not just people buying em for wall hangers. I'm okay with whatever people feel like they need to do with something that they own really. Nice to see em get skated though.
Resellers, I don't feel like we have a lot of problems with to be honest. Sure, folks picked up the curb killers a few years back and were trying to flip it for a few hundred bucks profit, but as of right now there's no Eggzillas on Ebay , and the stores are still getting them in, we're still relatively small and under the radar, our audience is a very organic one that have been built up over the years and share a mutual love for the brand, I've been personally trying to connect customers with stores so that they can get one if they need.
I think the edit we put out shows that it's a really fun and functional board in the end, it's a huge challenge to do tricks on, but it's definitely something that people find interesting and want to have a ride of.
I'm glad we did it, I'm glad it sold out so quick and our fans really loved it. Hope you managed to get one if you wanted one. We don't have another run planned or anything, but I'm not opposed to doing something again down the line.
I'm okay with all your opinions too, sure it's not for everyone, but in all honesty I've been running this brand for 25 years and it's always been fun, but right now I'm having more fun with it than ever.
Thanks guys

oliknight

« Reply #5467 on: May 06, 2023, 12:56:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Do Heroin still have a team? Just seems to be that Swampy dude 24/7 these days?
[close]

I fucking love Heroin, Earth Goblin was the first full-length and I watched and I immediately fell in love with the brand aesthetic, but the recent months I've seen way too much 'silly guy on a wide board'-footage from them. And that's coming from someone who loves silly tricks and wide boards.
[close]

No offence whatsoever to Fos because I think he is a great guy but I think that Heroin just seems to be predominantly a company for people who like to collect stuff, 90% of their community online is just people who have dozens and dozens of pristine setups that they will never skate, at this point it seems like he is selling art more than skateboards, which I guess is cool on its own way!
[close]

I couldn’t agree less with that perspective. He has done some limited stuff recently but I know tons of people (myself included) who skate the shit out of their Heroin decs.

The brand does appeal more to older skaters, I think, but that doesn’t mean it’s just a hype beast style company. People also forget it’s been around for 20+ years. They do drops every quarter with plenty of supply to fill skate shops and their own website. I’ve never had trouble getting 8.75 popsicles or the 9.4 egg shape I like.

Also, it’s disingenuous to say “no offense” and then make a wild and completely anecdotal claim that 90% of Heroin fans don’t even skate.

I said “no offence” to Fos

90% was a bit over the top but there are definitely a lot of people on that community who just have wall hangers and there are pictures all over Instagram and slap of piles of setups that are completely unskated, it’s not the worst thing in the world and I’m not 100% against wall hangers, I have one myself and have had them in the past, I have one because Chris Atherton is has always been one of my favourite skateboarders and I want to preserve his art, I think it’s just when it’s on a large scale, people are well within their right to do whatever they want and my opinion means nothing at the end of the day but it would be sick to see people spending less time with setup madness and more time skating what they’ve got. 

oliknight

« Reply #5468 on: May 06, 2023, 01:02:10 PM »
I think that ultimately I don’t really care, just a little rant that I should probably have in my head rather than on a public message board hahaha

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5469 on: May 06, 2023, 07:22:01 PM »
I don’t think all the brands should be serious. I love what heroin does. But I see the interest level of non functional shapes waning but maybe this is the thing that reinvigorates it. In my zone it was heavy with shaped decks but last 2 years it’s slowed way down.
Just an observation.
 I think heroin has become one of the funner companies, my jump the shark comment stems from seeing brands think they can do no wrong and then they go way over the top and it backfires. Seems like it won’t but at a certain point people just only have so much money for boards. But I hope they keep being themselves.

chaosisme

• Rep: 56
  • mankind is unkind man
« Reply #5470 on: May 08, 2023, 02:36:27 PM »
Evil Beamer
Ace 77 af1
OJ super juice

mankind is unkind man

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #5471 on: May 09, 2023, 02:03:24 AM »
Hey all, Fos here. Hope you're all good. Wanted to talk about Eggzilla for a minute. Had a blast making that board, I had the idea for it last year and had to talk to three or four different factories about making it happen because our regular factory couldn't make boards that big.
First thing I wanted to address was the price, I know it's quite a lot, but the cost of goods was really high, they have to use much wider plies and it increases the cost so much. So I was hesitant to even do this board at first because of this. I grew up pretty poor, working in factories to get money for boards and shoes, and I'd always buy stuff that was on sale or blemished, so the idea of a $220 board was a bit much for me at first. I thought about having it as a Heroin web store exclusive and we'd have maybe been able to do a small run and have em at $150 or so, but then I wanted the shops to be able to get some, and be involved, so we off-set the pricing to work with them. Originally we were just going to run 100, but the factory said the minimum was 150, so we went for it. I didn't have any idea that it'd go as wild as it did, we sold the 40 on our site in under one minute. and 100 went to stores and the rest to the team, I barely managed to save one for myself.
So I think it's safe to say that the $220 price ticket didn't scare anyone off.
Secondly I wanted to talk about collectors and re-sellers. I know a lot of the people that got them from our site are already trying to figure out how to get the right trucks to set them up, so it's definitely not just people buying em for wall hangers. I'm okay with whatever people feel like they need to do with something that they own really. Nice to see em get skated though.
Resellers, I don't feel like we have a lot of problems with to be honest. Sure, folks picked up the curb killers a few years back and were trying to flip it for a few hundred bucks profit, but as of right now there's no Eggzillas on Ebay , and the stores are still getting them in, we're still relatively small and under the radar, our audience is a very organic one that have been built up over the years and share a mutual love for the brand, I've been personally trying to connect customers with stores so that they can get one if they need.
I think the edit we put out shows that it's a really fun and functional board in the end, it's a huge challenge to do tricks on, but it's definitely something that people find interesting and want to have a ride of.
I'm glad we did it, I'm glad it sold out so quick and our fans really loved it. Hope you managed to get one if you wanted one. We don't have another run planned or anything, but I'm not opposed to doing something again down the line.
I'm okay with all your opinions too, sure it's not for everyone, but in all honesty I've been running this brand for 25 years and it's always been fun, but right now I'm having more fun with it than ever.
Thanks guys

🔥❤️🔥❤️🔥❤️

Snappyfingers

• Rep: 41
  • AW YEAH
« Reply #5472 on: May 12, 2023, 11:22:08 AM »
Cross post from the Set-Up thread...

Basically a christmas complete, except the trucks and wheels have seen a little action...
I'm really loving the wheelbase on this thing!

• Baker
  • Kader "Big Bodies" 9 x 31.875, 14" WB
  • Fake Junk grip
  • Ace AF1 60
  • Powell Dragons V6 (56mm x 36mm)
  • Bones Swiss
  • Bluetile hardware

AW YEAH
AW YEAH

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5473 on: May 12, 2023, 05:42:45 PM »
^

nice

also a crosspost featuring my newly and more or less accidentally acquired secondary

quasi 9x32 with a 13.75 wb
indy stage 4 151s
formula x 95a 52mm
pepper grip(first time using this, gripping the board was easy and hasslefree)
mini logo bearings for the start since i don't know yet about those wheels

i rode this to work and back and it's so much fun. the stage 4s are very fun to ride, the formula xs perform very good as well. they take the edge of the rougher sidewalk ground, but the board still feels like a skateboard. definitely powerslidable, too, with enough speed. the board is a little weird to me, pretty flat overall, although the tailpocket is comfy, and overall the board is pretty responsive for big setup like this. doesn't really feel as big if it makes sense.

my main setup(not pictured) remains a hockey stain on 149ers with f4 99a 54mm and random bearings. i have another nik stain board as a spare, i like the weird width with the shorther wb

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #5474 on: May 14, 2023, 10:42:37 AM »
Crosspost from Set up thread.

Freshie and first session since dislocating my elbow.

Chicostix 9" Big Boy shape
Thunder 151 Team hollow (stock bushings taken from an older pair)
53mm Conical Full 53mm 101a F4s
Old bones Swiss 6.

First time on Thunders in some time and these feel amazing. Feel turnier than my last set for some reason. Might just be the 14" wheelbase. Curious to try these on the Huffer shape that I usually skate.

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5475 on: May 14, 2023, 01:31:45 PM »
^

nice

also a crosspost featuring my newly and more or less accidentally acquired secondary

quasi 9x32 with a 13.75 wb
indy stage 4 151s
formula x 95a 52mm
pepper grip(first time using this, gripping the board was easy and hasslefree)
mini logo bearings for the start since i don't know yet about those wheels

i rode this to work and back and it's so much fun. the stage 4s are very fun to ride, the formula xs perform very good as well. they take the edge of the rougher sidewalk ground, but the board still feels like a skateboard. definitely powerslidable, too, with enough speed. the board is a little weird to me, pretty flat overall, although the tailpocket is comfy, and overall the board is pretty responsive for big setup like this. doesn't really feel as big if it makes sense.

my main setup(not pictured) remains a hockey stain on 149ers with f4 99a 54mm and random bearings. i have another nik stain board as a spare, i like the weird width with the shorther wb

Been tempted on this deck for a while, going from a 14.75wb down to this I think would be mental, but in a fun way

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5476 on: May 16, 2023, 07:18:25 AM »
Just got the skate mental curren 9" egg.
People on slap were saying that it's exactly the crail loveseat shape. It's a bit different.
Same length and wheelbase and tail length, but the nose is longer, about 7.3 I'd say. All around it's much rounder, the loveseat slowly tapers to a kinda square tail, whereas the curren board quickly tapers to a very round tail.

Front truck front bolts: 8.7
Front truck back bolts: 8.875
Back truck front bolts: 8.8
Back truck back bolts: 8.6

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5477 on: May 16, 2023, 09:39:54 AM »
Cross-post from the DLX Shapes-thread:

I've been skating a There deck, the new Chandler Burton 9.0 shape, and I'm really enjoying the longer length and wheelbase. The upcoming graphic is not up my alley, so I'm wondering which other companies use the same shape with BBS wood, DLX or not.

Specs I'm looking for are:

Width: 9.0
Length: 32.9
Wheelbase: 14.75

I think some BA decks might come close, any other suggestions?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5478 on: May 16, 2023, 01:12:36 PM »

I've been skating a There deck, the new Chandler Burton 9.0 shape, and I'm really enjoying the longer length and wheelbase. The upcoming graphic is not up my alley, so I'm wondering which other companies use the same shape with BBS wood, DLX or not.

Can’t find it on the There website anymore but I think I remember it saying there that it’s his own shape. I could be mistaken though. Maybe someone else can confirm?

djoekr

« Reply #5479 on: May 16, 2023, 01:27:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can’t find it on the There website anymore but I think I remember it saying there that it’s his own shape. I could be mistaken though. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Yeah you're right, but DLX often shares molds between brands, so I was hoping to get lucky. Otherwise I guess I'd have to wait until the next There drop
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5480 on: May 16, 2023, 04:37:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah you're right, but DLX often shares molds between brands, so I was hoping to get lucky. Otherwise I guess I'd have to wait until the next There drop

Was it this one with green background?

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/There_Chandler_Joke_Pac_Deck/descpage-THCJPDK.html

There Chandler Joke Pac Deck
9.0 x 32.8

More often than not to get the right shape was key and graphics could be removed or painted over, although I know it is often just easier to get a good graphic from go.

That actually looks like a good shape too.

On another note, just looking at the website for There and I saw this one, which I hadn't seen before too.  Is it the same as the Krooked eyes board that came out a while back?  I don't know, but the Krooked board looked a little more square in the tail - never had one or saw one in person though, so I can't compare besides looking at pictures.

https://www.thereskateboards.com/products/dsph-team-9-3

9.3 x 33 x 15wb

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

overwaxed

• Rep: 83
« Reply #5481 on: May 16, 2023, 06:09:07 PM »

Krooked 9.81” shape - 32” long with a 14.38” wb - thunder 161’s (stock bushings/tightness), spitfire f4 55m classics, bones swiss, ace allen head 7/8, jessup

Just built it up and had a mini sesh on my street - the pop is perfect, deceptively easy to skate, landed the first kickflip I tried.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5482 on: May 16, 2023, 06:22:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/There_Chandler_Joke_Pac_Deck/descpage-THCJPDK.html

9.0 x 32.8

More often than not to get the right shape was key and graphics could be removed or painted over, although I know it is often just easier to get a good graphic from go.

That actually looks like a good shape too.

On another note, just looking at the website for There and I saw this one, which I hadn't seen before too.  Is it the same as the Krooked eyes board that came out a while back?  I don't know, but the Krooked board looked a little more square in the tail - never had one or saw one in person though, so I can't compare besides looking at pictures.

https://www.thereskateboards.com/products/dsph-team-9-3

9.3 x 33 x 15wb

I'm really like the shape and wheelbase of that 9.3 There. Thanks for flagging it!

djoekr

« Reply #5483 on: May 16, 2023, 11:39:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

9.0 x 32.8

Yeah, that's the deck I'm skating right now. The extra length and big wheelbase feel so good. Always thought I was a short wb kinda guy, but this deck made me doubt that.

Also, I'm really superficial when it comes down to my setup. I skate Bones Super Reds instead of normal Reds just because it has black shields, so sanding a graphic off is not really for me. Might grab another one of the current line-up so I can keep on skating the shape until the next drop.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5484 on: May 22, 2023, 02:39:09 AM »

I was back in here to say I saw something interesting on the Black Label site, where you can get the can graphic on ANY of their 14 most common shapes, 11 of which are over 9" wide.  Too many to list here, but it is well worth a look if anyone wanted a certain shape but was more into a very minimal graphic (or was thinking of blanking the board) then this might work for you.

https://www.blacklabelskates.com/product/35-years-can-pick-your-shape

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #5485 on: May 22, 2023, 03:33:04 AM »

I was back in here to say I saw something interesting on the Black Label site, where you can get the can graphic on ANY of their 14 most common shapes, 11 of which are over 9" wide.  Too many to list here, but it is well worth a look if anyone wanted a certain shape but was more into a very minimal graphic (or was thinking of blanking the board) then this might work for you.

https://www.blacklabelskates.com/product/35-years-can-pick-your-shape

Riding a black widow right now, but really want to try a tugboat or spider egg.
Really nice shapes, great time to be an older skater.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5486 on: May 22, 2023, 03:45:32 AM »
Black Label should be way more popular than it is. That graphic is sick and they’ve got a ton of interesting shapes. Getting any Black Label boards in Europe is challenging and getting any of these seems pretty much impossible. I’d be happy giving them all my deck money.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #5487 on: May 22, 2023, 11:30:09 AM »
Black Label should be way more popular than it is. That graphic is sick and they’ve got a ton of interesting shapes. Getting any Black Label boards in Europe is challenging and getting any of these seems pretty much impossible. I’d be happy giving them all my deck money.

yeah a couple years ago they were easier to get. titus, sickboards etc. had them. but seems they all stopped getting them. only sometimes see some old deadstock black label decks, none of the new shapes. i wanna try a tugboat so bad!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5488 on: May 23, 2023, 03:30:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah a couple years ago they were easier to get. titus, sickboards etc. had them. but seems they all stopped getting them. only sometimes see some old deadstock black label decks, none of the new shapes. i wanna try a tugboat so bad!

I think the hardest thing now is some international distributors are not really working that well with brands that don't bring out a lot of product, or only get limited stock as there is not a huge amount to go round, so I feel like some countries / places will get some boards in, but they will only go to select shops and often sell out quickly or almost be kept for the friends and mates type of crowd, if that makes sense.

Black Label used to be garage based, then got huge with global distribution under Giant, then almost completely collapsed, but is still going and is still as core as it always has been under direct control - Never be bought, never be sold - thank you John Lucero.

The result of that too, is there might be only hundreds of boards to a release, not thousands as per some of the more well established and productive brands, when we are talking per graphic or whatever.  That doesn't add up to a whole lot globally, just like some of the Krooked or other limited releases that are numbered, eg upwards of 600 units for a run usually means only a dozen or so make it here to Australia for the whole country, but other runs that number in the high thousands from other brands means there are lots of them everywhere.

That is my take on it anyway, mainly based on what I understand of the industry, not exact fact of numbers from every supplier.

djoekr

« Reply #5489 on: May 23, 2023, 06:13:25 AM »
Anyone manage to find the Heroin Face Melter Mutant somewhere in Europe? Only place I've seen them at is Concretewave.de, but it's already sold out.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -