Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 541335 times)

Skrotum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5640 on: July 27, 2023, 08:28:36 AM »
I am looking for an egg to fit my 159 Indy’s anybody know what size egg will fit? Any eggsperts willing to lend a hand?

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #5641 on: July 27, 2023, 08:52:03 AM »
I am looking for an egg to fit my 159 Indy’s anybody know what size egg will fit? Any eggsperts willing to lend a hand?

Any 9” egg will do. The Heroin 9” symmetrical egg is great. 159s also work with the AH Huffer and the Primitive Villani.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #5642 on: July 27, 2023, 08:54:06 AM »

Probably the Black Label 9.0 Spider Egg.
I’m guessing it narrows to 8.8 or a bit more over the trucks.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #5643 on: July 27, 2023, 08:55:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Black label spider egg is closer to 8.75" over the trucks so 159s fit great. Not really an egg but an amazing shape.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5644 on: July 27, 2023, 09:15:33 AM »
Just saw this. Seems like it would work well too

https://merc.li/fs6AePPNb?sv=0

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5645 on: July 29, 2023, 08:58:58 PM »
Crossius Posticus from the setup thread...

Black label street thing

9.88", 32.25" long, 14.5" or 15" WB.

Indy 169 Forged hollow with 92a bushings
Indy 1" hardware
Indy ⅛" risers
Spitfire Conical full 56mm
Mini-logo bearings
Pepper grip

I am totally getting Pepper grip every time from now on. Super nice to install, cuts easy. The shop only had one sheet left or I would've gotten a few.

Yeah, quoting my own post, but finally skated this thing today and pretty pumped on it. First shaped deck and took no time to get used to it.

Been mostly skating an orange eagle the last few months, biggest deck I've ever tried, and assumed it was the long wheelbase and width that made me like it better than anything I've had before. Set this deck up at the 14.5"wb holes, and like it more. It's not the length, it's the girth! (That's what she.... nevermind). Absolutely love all the space for my size 14's up front, it's more stable, easier to control and at the same time quicker and less clunky than the eagle.

Only difference from the quoted setup is that I threw on some brand new 56mm F4 Radials with Swiss 6 ball. Really like them as well, less clunky than the conical fulls. Trying to keep the setup a bit lighter.

Wide decks are the way, but also nice to find out that I wasn't bothered at all by a 14.5wb. Opens up a lot more choices.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 09:38:40 PM by Samsquantch »

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #5646 on: July 30, 2023, 01:17:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Black label spider egg is closer to 8.75" over the trucks so 159s fit great. Not really an egg but an amazing shape.

Seconding the shape! Just got my second one the other day. I rode my last one on AF1 66s, and it definitely monster-trucked a bit but still felt great

Debating if i should switch it to my tattered 159s when I set this new one up
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #5647 on: July 30, 2023, 08:35:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Seconding the shape! Just got my second one the other day. I rode my last one on AF1 66s, and it definitely monster-trucked a bit but still felt great

Debating if i should switch it to my tattered 159s when I set this new one up

Heroin Avi Guest Egg

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5648 on: July 30, 2023, 04:28:04 PM »
Expand Quote

Black label street thing

Indy 1" hardware
Indy ⅛" risers
Mini-logo bearings
Pepper grip

I am totally getting Pepper grip every time from now on. Super nice to install, cuts easy. The shop only had one sheet left or I would've gotten a few.
[close]

Yeah, quoting my own post, but finally skated this thing today and pretty pumped on it. First shaped deck and took no time to get used to it.

Been mostly skating an orange eagle the last few months, biggest deck I've ever tried, and assumed it was the long wheelbase and width that made me like it better than anything I've had before. Set this deck up at the 14.5"wb holes, and like it more. It's not the length, it's the girth! (That's what she.... nevermind). Absolutely love all the space for my size 14's up front, it's more stable, easier to control and at the same time quicker and less clunky than the eagle.

Only difference from the quoted setup is that I threw on some brand new 56mm F4 Radials with Swiss 6 ball. Really like them as well, less clunky than the conical fulls. Trying to keep the setup a bit lighter.

Wide decks are the way, but also nice to find out that I wasn't bothered at all by a 14.5wb. Opens up a lot more choices.

What I also find is with boards that are double drilled, you can try them in either position to really work out what is better.

Some people are not at all fond of the double holes showing on the top, but I guess I am not so bothered by it on the second hand boards I have tried both and find some work better for some things and some for others, eg the 14.5 works better for all rounders, but the 15" wheelbase works better as a cruiser or a vert type setup, where I don't worry about short noses and wanted the extra length in wb.

That shape is so good too - just big and comfortable, when compared to a few other boards I have, where certain tapers (like the Grosso shape) or shorter wheelbases (like the Polar Dane 1) just don't work so well for me, even though I know other people who love them for what they are.

Just find something that works for you, as well as that shape not being a one off, so you should be able to get more if you want them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Samsquantch

« Reply #5649 on: July 30, 2023, 07:26:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Black label street thing

Indy 1" hardware
Indy ⅛" risers
Mini-logo bearings
Pepper grip

[close]

[close]

That shape is so good too - just big and comfortable, when compared to a few other boards I have, where certain tapers (like the Grosso shape) or shorter wheelbases (like the Polar Dane 1) just don't work so well for me, even though I know other people who love them for what they are.

It's interesting because it felt small compared to the big eagle, but more stable. Can't overstate how awesome that big wide pocket for your front foot feels, just locked in for transition and coping. Totally easy to Ollie too.

Switched with a dude for a few minutes and skated his 8" popsicle,  felt like skating a 2x4, squirrely af.

Just put together a Lucero Cross as well, it's a beast but feels good on the front street, hopefully try it out at the park tomorrow.

Samsquantch

« Reply #5650 on: July 30, 2023, 07:41:55 PM »
Black label Lucero cross 10" x 32.875", 15.5" or 16" wb (set 15.5)

Indy Forged hollow 169's
Indy black bushings (blues were sold out, we'll see).
Indy 1" hardware
Indy ⅛" risers
56mm Spitfire F4 Conical full, probably around 54mm
Broken in and surprisingly fast Mini logo bearings
MOB

I've noticed that in a few more recent clips, John himself was skating this deck. Should be interesting.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 08:52:28 PM by Samsquantch »

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #5651 on: July 31, 2023, 08:14:39 AM »
Black label Lucero cross 10" x 32.875", 15.5" or 16" wb (set 15.5)

Indy Forged hollow 169's
Indy black bushings (blues were sold out, we'll see).
Indy 1" hardware
Indy ⅛" risers
56mm Spitfire F4 Conical full, probably around 54mm
Broken in and surprisingly fast Mini logo bearings
MOB

I've noticed that in a few more recent clips, John himself was skating this deck. Should be interesting.
You’re on my new list of “Heroes of Slap”. You have a great taste in boards. Setting up lots of big sleds. Big thanks for sharing your experiences.
I’m getting a AH Huffer for my birthday in September, and will report my findings.

I’m super excited about trying all the stuff, but I can’t retire stuff in good conscience unless it’s absolutely destroyed. Guess my solution to getting new stuff more regularly would be to go skate much more.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Samsquantch

« Reply #5652 on: July 31, 2023, 09:17:47 AM »
You’re on my new list of “Heroes of Slap”. [/quote]

You definitely haven't seen me skate then, but much appreciated!

Just got back from a short session on the big Lucero and really liked it. The black bushings make it a bit too stable but I'll reserve judgement until they're properly broken in (heard they take a bit to settle in). The deck didn't feel as huge as I thought it might and Ollie's were amazing, absolutely glued to my feet. It's long but not awkward, prefer it to the orange eagle as well I think.

And holy moly, forgot how much new trucks stick to coping...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 09:38:43 AM by Samsquantch »

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5653 on: July 31, 2023, 10:13:46 AM »
dane1 shape. it's cool but nollie flips are tough on it

Pretty much my main gripe

Ant

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5654 on: August 01, 2023, 01:28:51 AM »
I'm big board curious. Don't skate a whole bunch anymore, I want to have something to roll about on at the beach front, Ollie's, no complys, curbs (Ray Barbee/Rubber boys) . I've got a regular 8.5" setup so can go wild.

Would an 80s no nose be a terrible idea? Love to hear some suggestions.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5655 on: August 01, 2023, 02:04:07 AM »
I'm big board curious. Don't skate a whole bunch anymore, I want to have something to roll about on at the beach front, Ollie's, no complys, curbs (Ray Barbee/Rubber boys) . I've got a regular 8.5" setup so can go wild.

Anti-Hero Yellow Eagle - Beach Bum shape
Polar Dane 1 Shape
Krooked Sweatpants Shape

Any of those decks with a softer wheel like a Bones Dragon 93a would make for a fun cruiser/curb/fuck around board
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 02:18:28 AM by TastyBurrito »

Ant

« Reply #5656 on: August 01, 2023, 04:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Polar Dane 1 Shape
Krooked Sweatpants Shape

Any of those decks with a softer wheel like a Bones Dragon 93a would make for a fun cruiser/curb/fuck around board
Thanks been looking at Dane 1s for years.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5657 on: August 01, 2023, 07:07:23 AM »
Wonder how a loveseat would work on 5.6 V-Lights.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #5658 on: August 01, 2023, 07:52:34 AM »

Highly recommend the Antihero Genius shape. It's like a zip zinger for people who like wide boards. 9.18" with a 14.25" WB. Rides more like a 8.75". You can use 8.5" axles with big wide cruiser wheels or 8.75" axles with regular width wheels. Somewhat like the Polar Surf shapes but the nose is a little longer and it has a nicer curvier outline.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5659 on: August 01, 2023, 08:47:43 AM »
they'd sit in a bit from the edge of the board. Magic carpet. I got mine with some thunder 151 and they sit flush, so I guess that'd be the venture 6.1?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #5660 on: August 01, 2023, 09:07:45 AM »

Quasi egg..Crail Loveseat

Ant

« Reply #5661 on: August 01, 2023, 11:31:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Highly recommend the Antihero Genius shape. It's like a zip zinger for people who like wide boards. 9.18" with a 14.25" WB. Rides more like a 8.75". You can use 8.5" axles with big wide cruiser wheels or 8.75" axles with regular width wheels. Somewhat like the Polar Surf shapes but the nose is a little longer and it has a nicer curvier outline.

Interesting, I've got some 149s that might fit. Thank you.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5662 on: August 01, 2023, 12:31:31 PM »

• Krooked Frame Face 9.81"x32" w/ 14.37" wb
  • Ace AF1 Hollow 66's (Ace 91a top bushings as tops/bottoms)
  • Ace AF1 7/8" Hollow Allen
  • Bones Swiss
  • Spitfire F4 Classic 99a 55's
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #5663 on: August 01, 2023, 01:15:39 PM »

• Bones Swiss
Thats a beautiful board my dude! Major props

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #5664 on: August 01, 2023, 02:37:51 PM »

• Bones Swiss

Hol’ up, hol’ up, hol’ up! You’re running  2 top bushings? Any wheelbite on them 55’s?  What is it doing for feel & turn?

djoekr

• Rep: 300
« Reply #5665 on: August 02, 2023, 01:20:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Polar Dane 1 Shape
Krooked Sweatpants Shape

[close]

Dane1's have a small wheelbase, so if that's not your cup of tea, I would recommend the Krooked Sweatpants shape (posted above on this page). The shape is similair, but the wheelbase is 14.38 compared to the new 14.1 wb of the Dane1. The old Dane decks are really similair though. Currently riding the Ronnie Sandoval graphic and I like it so far, although it feels a bit small compared to the 10" Heroin Mutants I've been riding before this.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5666 on: August 02, 2023, 01:39:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Polar Dane 1 Shape
Krooked Sweatpants Shape

[close]
[close]

Dane1's have a small wheelbase, so if that's not your cup of tea, I would recommend the Krooked Sweatpants shape (posted above on this page). The shape is similair, but the wheelbase is 14.38 compared to the new 14.1 wb of the Dane1. The old Dane decks are really similair though. Currently riding the Ronnie Sandoval graphic and I like it so far, although it feels a bit small compared to the 10" Heroin Mutants I've been riding before this.

A few pages back I think someone mentioned the new Dane1 decks are being bumped up to a 14.38”wb which will make it the same as the Krooked shape.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5667 on: August 02, 2023, 02:53:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
they'd sit in a bit from the edge of the board. Magic carpet. I got mine with some thunder 151 and they sit flush, so I guess that'd be the venture 6.1?
Yup but I just got these and I sold my old AF1 55 and I'm not looking to get an extra set of trucks.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sombrero

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5668 on: August 02, 2023, 07:21:33 AM »

Sweet shape, imho. Fitted with Indy 169s, Bones Hardcore Bushings, Spitfire 60mm 99a Classic wheels, Powell Rib Bones, Bronson Raw bearings.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5669 on: August 02, 2023, 07:39:19 AM »
Thats a beautiful board my dude! Major props
Thanks!

Hol’ up, hol’ up, hol’ up! You’re running  2 top bushings? Any wheelbite on them 55’s?  What is it doing for feel & turn?

Alright... It was a gradual process to get to this point hahaha...
  • Iteration 1: stock AF1 top / bottom with the bottom trimmed to 12mm to match the top (both with washers). This gave me the tension I wanted out of the trucks with still getting full contact with the nut on the kingpin. This also got rid of the top washer "click" you get from AF1's since it slightly changed the geometry.
  • Iteration 2: stock AF1 tops as top / bottom (both with washers). This kept the tension of the 1st iteration but gave a bit more of a surfy turn from running duel conical shape bushings since you get more give from the conical shape than you do from the cylinder shape.
  • Iteration 3: stock AF1 top / stock Classic top as bottom (top washer only). A friend sent me the Classic tops with no washers and I put them on to see if the slightly different shape would offer any difference in feel since the Classic has a less harsh taper to the shape of the bushing. Since the bottom wishers are gone, they're a bit looser... but since the bottom tapers less it mushes out less. It took me about 2 sessions to fully acclimate, but for some bizarre reason, it made some tricks feel way more fluid for me (especially front rocks).
Do I get wheel bite? Yes... But I'm so much more comfortable with the setup and I have no plans to change anything. The only thing that I did change is running my front truck closer to even tension with the rear. I always ran my front a half turn looser than my rear, but I feel like with the current bushing setup I was too close to full-on e brake wheel bite if I came out of some trucks with too much weight on my front foot. It's a solid setup for skating bowls, but I skated a vert ramp for the first time in a while this past weekend and the setup worked out way better than I thought it would.

Ronnie Sandoval is running a similar setup, but it's conceptually more wild (Ace Classic's which are 1mm lower than AF1's, a Classic top bushing with no washer as a bottom, and a Thunder top bushing which is 10mm so he has 2mm more wiggle room). 

Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_