Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88370 times)

lysdexia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2020, 05:52:01 PM »
Expand Quote
FAG 608RS's from the bearing shop.  they're working great.
[close]

Are they the ones with the steel cage retainer? I have a set of those and they were pretty disappointing for me, I even tried cleaning all the grease out and re-lubing with oil and running them without shields and I still can't seem to get them to run any better than mini-logos.

to be honest i don't know, i haven't pulled the shields off, i just stuck them in and off i went

they did take a bit to break in, but yeah no complaints here

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2020, 06:27:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Had Big Balls and loved em - things took a turn and they were compromised

Now I'm riding a $9 Modus set until the snow melts and I don't have to worry about ruining my next set of Big Balls.
[close]

Yo! May I ask what happened to the big balls? I literally JUST replied with big ball issues..(HAHAHA) Broken cages?!

My board flew out from under me into a deep puddle. They got ruined big time.

Totally my fault - It was a super wet day and I should've known better than to go out skating.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:29:31 PM by Seadramon »

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2020, 07:16:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Any of you bladers out there fuck with ILQ bearings?
Twincam, powerslide, wicked brands?
ILQ 9 sounds good. Also interesting to see that they usually use gel or grease, not oil.

https://www.twincambearing.com/product-category/ilq-9-2/

http://www.wicked-hardware.com/portfolio/wcd-twincam-ilq-9-pro-bearings/

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=44178&postcount=2
As fast as Swiss?
[close]

I got a couple of them mixed in with a bunch of random shit in an ebay lot.  From what I can tell they're just your standard chinese bearing, nothing special to them. They don't seem to spin particularly well and the shields aren't even good non-contact ones. From what I remember the metal shielded ones are the bearings that rollerblades always came with, and were pretty much their version of the "gmn speed bearing" from back in the day. Maybe head down to goodwill with your allen wrench and start popping rollerblade wheels and see if you can find yourself a set for cheap?

Also grease lubrication is really not ideal for skate bearings unless you're doing some serious downhill or mega ramp style shit or doing really long non-stop commuting. You're not likely to reach the speeds or temperatures where it would be a benefit in the course of your average street skating session. Light oil like speed cream or sewing machine oil is used by bearing manufacturers because its the best fit for the job.
Thanks. That made me laugh.

"Ideal"..
I know grease is slower but if you're rolling thru water that's really your only option. And these greases aren't as thick as NGLI 2 automotive wheel bearing grease. The gels are probably NGLI 00 or 0, so soupy. Some of the greases look like Krytox! That's not cheap stuff. I'm not a chem nerd but it's a flouro-something grease. It's cheater stuff that the pinewood derby dads use.
On the cheap end a silicone grease for brakes or plumbers would work. Work as in protect the metal, ain't gonna be as fast as oil.
Grease or gel lube will also last longer. Helpful if you don't wanna mess with re-oiling.

It's weird to me that some ILQ use steel shields. But when you read their lube info it sounds like they're using good stuff.

edit: For light oils I'm pretty sure I can give you a viscosity range to start looking in if you wanna hunt for a bearing lube.
ISO 10 on the thicker end, then ISO 5, ISO 2 is thinnest.
That translates to 10cst @ 40*C. Then 5cst, and 2cst..
Or try hunt for a 2wt racing motor oil, 0w-2...
0wt too, but not 0w-20, etc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:25:54 PM by satan »

satan

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2020, 07:28:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Oust bearings or bust srsly what’s wrong with you guys haven’t you seen this video https://youtu.be/wxpQnEGHg34
[close]
dudes wearing more makeup than tim and eric in drag
I noticed the eyeliner and it was bugging me. But now you got me thinking. Is he wearing lipstick?

Anyhow. I think this is the Oust slalom racer vid I saw.

edit
Anyone got suggestions for bearings by price range? $20, $30, $40, Swiss
Reds, then Super Reds? Then Oust?

Wicked sells a dozen or so different bearings. I think the metal shield ones go from budget to decent quality but really only paid attention to their 2-3 skate bearings, not inline or quad stuff.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:08:12 AM by satan »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2020, 01:39:18 AM »
I like my bearings how I like my watches ... SWISS!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2020, 07:19:56 AM »
Four year old Swiss

satan

« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2020, 02:38:33 AM »
In case anyone has wondered about titanium bearings I'm fairly certain they're just titanium nitride (TiN) coated like the gold colored drillbits at the parts store.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_nitride

satan

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2020, 06:07:43 PM »
Found some interesting info on 608 bearings.
I've seen those rpm #'s before so I think that's standard for the 608 size. Ceramic might do higher max rpm, idk.
Load is in newtons. For kg divide by 10, 9.8, or 9.81..
I need to read up on the different load ratings but factoring in 8 bearings, 2691 kg and 1117 kg

http://catalog.ezo-usa.com/item/metric-series-bearings/open-metric-ball-bearings/608
There's a typo here. It's not 1000^2 for oiled bearings. That'd be 39 million.
39,000 rpm for oiled
33,000 rpm for greased. And I think that's with a minimal amount of grease, check the pdf below.
Try crunching the numbers for those rpm's and a skate wheel. I think it's crazy fast.

http://catalog.ezo-usa.com/Asset/Lubrication.pdf
Temp ranges, loads, viscosity..
dn is bore x rpm? And not max rpm? The rpm in use seems right. Thoughts?
Bore is 8mm
Viscosity. ISO # = cst @ 40*C. Cst is centistokes, and = mm^2/s
ISO 10, 15, 22..

I'm seeing mega ramp speeds online saying 40mph or 55mph. Anyone got info on that?
73-75ft roll-in if someone wants to do that math.
Any ideas for average street skating speeds? Probably putt-putt in comparison.
How about a big, long gap? Wallenberg, Love, UC Davis?
Hillbombing speeds might be interesting but gravity.. I'm more thinking pushing for street skating.
Which brings me to acceleration. No one talks about how easily a bearing accelerates except for maybe inline racers. Seems like it would apply to street skating, pushing.
And I don't think we're getting anywhere near the max rpm (speed) of the bearings. Maybe why some inline stuff use thin gels/greases?

Also found another source thin oil, aviation oils. There's a super thin Aeroshell oil for gimbles and a bunch for turbines.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/aeroshell.pdf

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2020, 06:50:20 PM »
Spent 2 hours trying to clean out my set of Bones Swiss bearings and even with the cages removed I couldn't get them to spin well. Hell even the cheaper set I picked up off an old setup work better.

I'm sticking to the buy'em and toss'em camp from now on, cleaning them aren't worth the effort. Sticking to Reds or Big Balls.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2020, 07:26:16 PM »
Rx ceramics

very nice, go fast

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2020, 06:29:45 PM »
unrelated, but

*So, just for context*

I really like having built-in spacers with my bearings, they make them quieter and smoother. I also really like bones swiss, they last forever and spin really well. Sadly, Bones doesn't make a built-in Swiss bearing. As a project, I thought that it would be interesting to try and swap the swiss balls into the built-in cages of the other bearings. I already have both sets ready to go, and normally wouldn't do this, but the built-ins started dying after 2 weeks or so of mixed street and park use (the balls are steel). Do I need to switch the ball cages/races over as well? I've never done this before, but there are videos online on how to take them apart and put them back together. So, is it worth the trouble? Are the balls going to be the same size? Does anyone have experience with switching balls between bearings like this?

Thanks, PALS, and s h a l o m
niggling

[/quote]

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2020, 06:34:37 PM »
unrelated, but

*So, just for context*

I really like having built-in spacers with my bearings, they make them quieter and smoother. I also really like bones swiss, they last forever and spin really well. Sadly, Bones doesn't make a built-in Swiss bearing. As a project, I thought that it would be interesting to try and swap the swiss balls into the built-in cages of the other bearings. I already have both sets ready to go, and normally wouldn't do this, but the built-ins started dying after 2 weeks or so of mixed street and park use (the balls are steel). Do I need to switch the ball cages/races over as well? I've never done this before, but there are videos online on how to take them apart and put them back together. So, is it worth the trouble? Are the balls going to be the same size? Does anyone have experience with switching balls between bearings like this?

I wouldn’t even bother.

I’m running super reds for like 2 years straight.

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2020, 06:40:55 PM »
Expand Quote
unrelated, but

*So, just for context*

[close]
I wouldn’t even bother.

I’m running super reds for like 2 years straight.

I just don't wanna buy new bearings, as im kinda broke and already have all the parts. thanks for the heads up tho.
niggling

[/quote]

dakara

• Rep: 4
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2020, 07:37:43 PM »
I’m running some MxM brand bearings right now, which is basically a Japanese shop brand that’s the cheapest at many of the shops here. It’s only solidified my opinion that outside of Swiss, there is little difference between non Swiss  Chinese made bearings of non steel cage design.

They performed like any bearing I’ve ever used out of the box, took a bit to break in but spun fast after. After a particularly harsh week were I skated in light rain once and after that in an area with heavy dirt/debris wash off from said rain, they got fucked and would not spin fast and a couple were jammed up. I took em out, popped the shields, and spun them by hand for a bit(didn’t have any cleaner on me and all together it would cost about the same as another set of bearings) then popped them back in with shields. Nothing really changed. A week later did the same thing but left the shields popped. When spun by hand after re installation they were even worse then before, but my first ride was traveling about 1km to a friends and after that they spin faster than ever and my setup is noticeabley  faster and smoother, and has been for about 3 weeks now.

I know a lot of people think the popped shields thing is dumb, but I do think the theory that it lets debris clear out is sound and that keeping the shields on does accumulate debris. The best route is obviously to clean your bearing regularly then put the shields back in, but popping the shields is effective. Unless you are set on getting the absolute most longevity out of your bearings, the popped shields method is great for the lazy skater that doesn’t mind getting only getting 6-12 months out of their 20 dollar bearings vs 2 years and perhaps a tiny boost in speed. Basically I’ve concluded that: shields on w/ sporadic maintenance  < no shields w/ sporadic maintenance < shields with regular maintenance

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2020, 11:43:59 PM »
Anyone know if you can pop the shields on G2s and G3s? Just curious.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

ILikeToMilkDucks

• Rep: 1
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2020, 01:28:13 AM »

I bought these a few years ago. Not gonna lie, just wanted the pez dispenser.

The bearings are pretty good though. They still roll. I like them. Had two sets of standard reds before that, but had bad luck with them locking up. I want to try big balls next. Thought about bronson raw, but people here hating them made me change my mind. My cruiser setup has bronson g2's, they're smoother than the Toy Machines but not as fast.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2020, 04:05:54 AM »
Anyone know if you can pop the shields on G2s and G3s? Just curious.

Yeah. They're just normal rubber shields. Be careful though, Bronson might get mad at you for using their "audible speed technology" on a lower priced bearing. Normally you have to pay an extra $15 for it.

Since it's been pretty much nonstop rain and a little snow around here lately I've ruined like 3 sets of bearings in the last month (Who'da thought water and rock salt would be bad for precision steel parts?) so I've been skating mostly really cheap no-name bearings. I got 2 sets of Amphetamine Titanium for $6 on Amazon and they've been pretty good. They have these weird clear plastic shields that look kind of cool and they haven't rusted up on me yet.

Once the weather breaks I have a set of hard luck Swiss (actually made in Switzerland) that I'm going to switch over to.

usedtostillskate

• Rep: -1
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2020, 04:18:44 AM »
I've got zealous bearings in. No complaints and I've skated with it wet a few times. Seem to hold up we'll.

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2020, 10:57:29 AM »
Shake Junt Triple Ogs and Indy Black. Both great bearings and removable shields and under $15.

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »
i am and will always be of the opinion that bearings matter like 0%. whatever is cheap and sealed on both sides + spacers is fine. I only don't like bearings with metal shields on the outside, or bearings with rubber shields that fall off. i wont ride bones bearings either just because i wanna be different.

tyshoes

« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2020, 12:02:20 PM »
i am and will always be of the opinion that bearings matter like 0%. whatever is cheap and sealed on both sides + spacers is fine. I only don't like bearings with metal shields on the outside, or bearings with rubber shields that fall off. i wont ride bones bearings either just because i wanna be different.

Yeah man, just keep them clean and dry and they will last really long. I never noticed a major diff between good bearings made to skate.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 117
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2020, 01:18:25 PM »
Swiss 6 and OG Swiss baby. Everything else is trash after heavy sessions, and I’ve had original sets for 4 years running but I do clean them once a month! I’m sure ceramics are the GODS but I don’t think I’ll ever need those

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2020, 01:45:26 PM »
Is it worth cleaning Reds like how people clean the bones swiss?

Eventually, I'll get swiss 6 when I can afford them but until then I've got a set of reds, an old set of black panther swiss that I should really clean, and some no name bearings I got from someone on here that are actually spinning better than my reds at the moment.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2020, 02:57:09 PM »
I've got zealous bearings in. No complaints and I've skated with it wet a few times. Seem to hold up we'll.

Great bearings.

I setup some spitfire burners (blue ones) man, for low/midrange bearings they really scream out of the box.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2020, 03:19:48 PM »

Eventually, I'll get swiss 6 when I can afford them but until then I've got a set of reds, an old set of black panther swiss that I should really clean, and some no name bearings I got from someone on here that are actually spinning better than my reds at the moment.

Ehh, I'd probably just add a drop of lube or two when they start feeling/sounding sluggish.

tyshoes

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2020, 04:54:16 PM »

100% yes. Treat them like the said swiss and even regular reds will last a really long time. If you grab a bearing cleaner kit like the bones one and some oust or sewing machine oil you can make bearing last a very long time. The relevance is really at higher speeds like downhill guys. I couldnt tell much of a difference between the shake junt bearings and oust

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2020, 05:43:54 PM »
Reds and mini logo
Fine for now, both fairly new. Haven’t grabbed speed cream or a cleaner yet.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2020, 05:49:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Great bearings.

I setup some spitfire burners classics (blue ones) man, for low/midrange bearings they really scream out of the box.
Fixed it for you buddy.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2020, 05:52:15 PM »
Bones ceramic reds that I take good care of.

I wish everyone to send their old bearings instead of throwing them away.
I can strip them down organize all the different pieces and rebuild them recycle them. Send them back out into the world
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2020, 06:34:58 PM »
Someone in another thread recommended Zealous bearings but they're definitely the shittiest bearings I've ever skated. Skated them for 2 months and they never "broke in", slow as fuck the whole time. Got a set of Reds and the difference was noticeable instantly.