Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88291 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #330 on: May 03, 2020, 06:42:21 PM »
Big Balls in one setup, Mini-Logo in the other.  Honestly, the Mini-Logos feel faster to me.  The Big Balls are nice, though.  Got a free set from Skate One when they first came out and they’re holding up.

I've decided that Big Balls are useless for their desired market spot (and price point). Having skated Big Balls (both out of box, cleaned and re-lubed, and now dry and shield-less), they aren't even close to Swiss 6/Tekton 6-Ball and feel no faster/smoother compared to regular 8 balls of any reputable brand.

My Bronson G3s (shieldless) feel faster, hell a set of Spitfire Classic (blue shields) are faster than big balls out of the box.

Ol Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #331 on: May 04, 2020, 09:11:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Big Balls in one setup, Mini-Logo in the other.  Honestly, the Mini-Logos feel faster to me.  The Big Balls are nice, though.  Got a free set from Skate One when they first came out and they’re holding up.
[close]

I've decided that Big Balls are useless for their desired market spot (and price point). Having skated Big Balls (both out of box, cleaned and re-lubed, and now dry and shield-less), they aren't even close to Swiss 6/Tekton 6-Ball and feel no faster/smoother compared to regular 8 balls of any reputable brand.

My Bronson G3s (shieldless) feel faster, hell a set of Spitfire Classic (blue shields) are faster than big balls out of the box.

Out of the box, the BigBalls were disappointing to me, particularly when compared to mini logos. That said, a recent clean/lube made them waaay better than they were new.

My urge to buy some Swiss 6 is growing but not currently strong enough to pull the trigger. But now that I’ve typed this, I’m not sure I’ll make it a week.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #332 on: May 04, 2020, 09:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Out of the box, the BigBalls were disappointing to me, particularly when compared to mini logos. That said, a recent clean/lube made them waaay better than they were new.

My urge to buy some Swiss 6 is growing but not currently strong enough to pull the trigger. But now that I’ve typed this, I’m not sure I’ll make it a week.
i made the switch and wont look back. looking to be a great investment
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #333 on: May 04, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
i made the switch and wont look back. looking to be a great investment
Swiss 6 are the truth.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #334 on: May 06, 2020, 03:31:18 AM »
Hard luck 6 balls are cheaper than big balls and in my opinion are as good or maybe even a little better once you get them broken in, which took a surprisingly long time for an oil lubricated bearing.

Speaking of lube - Ive totally switched over to Liberty Oil. It's really lightweight and keeps things spinning fast and smooth. Plus for like $8 you get a much bigger bottle and a long needle tip so you don't even have to take your wheels off to lube the inside bearing. If you're riding without shields you can just poke it into the little gap between the hanger and wheel and squirt a few drops in.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #335 on: May 06, 2020, 05:35:45 PM »
Expand Quote
To anyone who has ridden Zealous ceramics, how are they? Where are they on the bones scale? Super Reds? Reds? They seem like they'd be pretty good at $40....

shalom pals
[close]

I haven't ridden the ceramics, but have the regulars. It's the grease they use that does wonders IMO. I went down a rabbit hole once and figured out that it is, or almost certainly is, this severe duty grease (https://www.archoil.com/products/ar8000-grease) used for everything under the sun including racing and firearms applications. I think I ended up tracking it down through some longboarding engineer or something. Zealous wouldn't ever respond to any of my emails, unsurprisingly. It comes in a half oz syringe for like $20, but that's enough to last forever.

It's super thick, and takes a little bit to break in, but I swear by it for rain boards and cruisers.
http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lubricating_Skate_Bearings
Is this the longboard engr?
I agree with ISO 13(ish) oil. ISO 5-15 seems good..
But not his choice of grease. I'm almost positive that SFK grease is NGLI 2

I tried Redline wheel bearing grease in the early 90's thinking it'd kick ass cuz synthetic..
Slow as shit! Probably washed it out with WD40 or something cuz I was tired of pushing my ass of.
Wheel bearing grease is pretty thick. NGLI #2. Iirc tapered roller bearings create more load ( and lateral forces too) so they need a better grease. The newer ball bearing stuff is sealed and pre-greased. I've seen ppl regrease them but I wonder if ngli 2 is really necessary. Idk, I'm not a bearing engr..
Wheel bearings also get heated by the brakes so the grease needs to have a higher dropping point.
Neo is the only company I can think of that has NGLI 1.5 wheel bearing grease, and it's maybe used for racing.

There's thinner greases out there. NGLI 1.5, 1, 0, 00, etc..
And dropping point should also be a consideration. That's the temp where the grease goes liquid. Then I think base oil viscosity comes into play..
To me greases are more complicated than oil..

I'd skip the grease and just use (an aerosol) penetrating lube regularly.

If you really want waterproof grease I'd try the bike stuff or even a chain wax.
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/bicycle-greases/extreme-fluoro-grease
http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_greas.htm ^finishline sounds like a budget krytox option
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/bicycle-greases/ceramic-grease-advanced-bearing-lubrication ceramic nanoparticles is a newish trend for oils

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-lubricants
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/lube-finder.php wet lube and ceramic wet lube best for water

Thicker engine assembly lubes might be a good option, they'll have EP/AW additives..
Lubriplate 105, CMD #3, Redline..
https://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Grease/Multi-Purpose-Greases/100-Series/NO-105/
NGLI 0, 170*f dropping pt, zinc for antiwear
https://www.cmdlubeoil.com/extreme-pressure-lubricant/
http://www.cmdlubeoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/sds-lube-3.pdf 40cst @ 100*c
That's thicker than 60wt engine oil, probably 70wt too! About as thick as 250wt gear oil.
Maybe about the same as a room temp 20wt?
https://www.redlineoil.com/assembly-lube good dose of moly, says 2.5-5% in SDS. And thick, >1000cst @ 100c

I've used Boeshield T9. It was like waxy, soft cosmoline. Wasn't nearly as slow as grease and it's supposed to be water resistant.
https://boeshield.com/products/

https://www.skf.com/in/products/rolling-bearings/principles-of-rolling-bearing-selection/bearing-selection-process/bearing-size/size-selection-based-on-rating-life/lubrication-condition-the-viscosity-ratio-k
If you really wanna geek out on oil viscosity requirements..

I'll dig up some links..
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:30:26 PM by legion »

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #336 on: May 07, 2020, 05:09:26 AM »
are running bones swiss, shieldless a bad idea?  discussion between me and a friend

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #337 on: May 07, 2020, 05:44:31 AM »
are running bones swiss, shieldless a bad idea?  discussion between me and a friend
with reds, the shields always bend after a few cleanings and make unnecessary contact in places that slow the roll. when it get to this point i just pop them off and they speed up.

havent cleaned my swiss 6 yet but if the shields end up doing the same thing, they gotta go
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #338 on: May 07, 2020, 07:16:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have swiss 6 in 1 set up and Minilogos in another.
Swiss 6 are noticeably better to me. As they should be.
Swiss 6 are the best. But in my experience MLs are as good as reds and super reds. Swiss 6 feel better than regular Swiss also for sure imo.

But if you buy a set of Minilogo every 2 months; that might save you money over buying Swiss 6 once a year. I think mine are like a year and a half old and I’ve cleaned them twice in that life span and they are still good.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #339 on: May 07, 2020, 07:30:30 AM »
don't see a benefit with reds over minilogo right out the box. maybe when it comes time to clean them they'll last longer?
minilogo any issues shieldless with a drop of speed lube once in a while? 

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #340 on: May 07, 2020, 08:09:50 AM »
don't see a benefit with reds over minilogo right out the box. maybe when it comes time to clean them they'll last longer?
I used to run mini logo bearings all the time with no issue. Fast, smooth, affordable. Even when I was blowing out “higher end” bearings left and right the mini logo would always last me. I ran them without shields but was always skating indoors.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #341 on: May 07, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »
Imo taking shields from any bearing is a dumb thing to do.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »
It´s time for me to buy new bearings... My question is are swiss 6 worth it as far as speed goes? It´s cool they last longer, but I d rather buy mini logos or reds a bit more often if the speed is similar. Sorry I haven´t read the whole thread now, but do you have any inputs on this?

sufferthejoy

« Reply #343 on: May 07, 2020, 11:44:10 AM »
Hard luck 6 balls are cheaper than big balls and in my opinion are as good or maybe even a little better once you get them broken in, which took a surprisingly long time for an oil lubricated bearing.

+1 for Hard Luck 6 balls, excellent bearings for their price. Fast and quiet right out of the box, didn't take that long to break in for me. Been skating mine for about a year now with no maintenance, they are no longer quiet, but they skate just as fast still.

Didn't have any luck with bones reds. Had reds right before the hardlucks, after 3 months 2 bearings locked up and the other 2-3 were barely rolling. Was a bit disappointed after hearing all the feedback that the reds are the best cheap bearings on the market.

Before reds I usually skated spitfire, indy and shake junt abec 5/7, which are all good cheap bearings in my opinion, but Hard luck are definitely my go to bearings now, even considering buying their six ball ceramics.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #344 on: May 07, 2020, 11:45:32 AM »
My swiss 6 were definitely faster than mini logos, reds, super reds or anything I've had along those lines. Lasted longer too. But definitely didn't last nearly as long (even with cleaning) as 6 sets of mini logos which cost about the same as 1 set of swiss 6
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 05:01:06 PM by tzhangdox »

Rem377

• Rep: 4
« Reply #345 on: May 07, 2020, 04:47:49 PM »
I impulse bought a 100 pack of VXB bearings for $20. They came coated with some thick grease so I cleaned them and replaced with speed cream. I'm not nearly talented enough to feel the difference between most bearings, however these VXB seem just as good as the Reds and Mini Logos I've used in the past. I've been using the same set for about six months with no issues whatsoever. That said, roughly 1 out of every 10 seem to be duds, but that still leaves me with years worth of bearings for the same price as a pack of reds

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: May 07, 2020, 05:00:43 PM »
I impulse bought a 100 pack of VXB bearings for $20. They came coated with some thick grease so I cleaned them and replaced with speed cream. I'm not nearly talented enough to feel the difference between most bearings, however these VXB seem just as good as the Reds and Mini Logos I've used in the past. I've been using the same set for about six months with no issues whatsoever. That said, roughly 1 out of every 10 seem to be duds, but that still leaves me with years worth of bearings for the same price as a pack of reds

link please

Rem377

« Reply #347 on: May 07, 2020, 05:55:40 PM »
https://www.vxb.com/Pack-of-100-Skate-Skateboard-Open-Bearing-p/kit1083.htm

I'm pretty sure they sell on eBay with free shipping. They make ceramics and a few other versions too, just click on 'skate bearings' above the product title in the link

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: May 07, 2020, 08:27:16 PM »

I'm pretty sure they sell on eBay with free shipping. They make ceramics and a few other versions too, just click on 'skate bearings' above the product title in the link

Interesting. Thanks. Wonder what the differences between all the different types are... but theres no real good explanations. Do you think they're skateable with the thick grease? Did you just run them through acetone and then put on some speed cream?

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2020, 11:45:56 PM »
My swiss 6 were definitely faster than mini logos, reds, super reds or anything I've had along those lines. Lasted longer too. But definitely didn't last nearly as long (even with cleaning) as 6 sets of mini logos which cost about the same as 1 set of swiss 6

Thanks man, I m not super tight on money anymore, so I ll finally pull the trigger I guess :)

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: May 07, 2020, 11:56:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man, I m not super tight on money anymore, so I ll finally pull the trigger I guess :)

I think you'll be happy with your purchase. I definitely don't regret getting them. In my experience, swiss 6 was top tier, then indy blacks and bronson raw (I know people shit on them but I've had 3 sets with pretty good experiences in general), then reds/mini logos etc which are great too.

It seems like bearings last some people forever while other people seem to break cages or have their bearings seize up really easy or whatever. I'm in the latter camp, I guess I land primo sometimes and might be rough on my powerslides? But besides that who knows... was thinking about getting another set of swiss but the mass pack of 100 bearings sounds like much better value for money lol.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #352 on: May 08, 2020, 05:30:02 AM »
I took off the shields on a new Ml set a couple months back and they ended up drying out within a week, I guess I could have added lube but I just figured riding them without shields was a bad idea.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Rem377

« Reply #353 on: May 08, 2020, 06:11:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Interesting. Thanks. Wonder what the differences between all the different types are... but theres no real good explanations. Do you think they're skateable with the thick grease? Did you just run them through acetone and then put on some speed cream?

I've read good reviews for the ceramics, but not sure what the difference is between all the steel versions. I think there's different types of cages (nylon, steel, etc)? I'd imagine they'd roll fine with the original grease, probably just take a while to break in. I just ran them through a makeshift bearing cleaner with rubbing alcohol a few times. The next set I do I'll probably use acetone instead.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: May 08, 2020, 06:34:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I took off the shields on a new Ml set a couple months back and they ended up drying out within a week, I guess I could have added lube but I just figured riding them without shields was a bad idea.
yeah could be true. how is it different than any other bearing without shield though?

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #355 on: May 08, 2020, 08:26:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think you'll be happy with your purchase. I definitely don't regret getting them. In my experience, swiss 6 was top tier, then indy blacks and bronson raw (I know people shit on them but I've had 3 sets with pretty good experiences in general), then reds/mini logos etc which are great too.

It seems like bearings last some people forever while other people seem to break cages or have their bearings seize up really easy or whatever. I'm in the latter camp, I guess I land primo sometimes and might be rough on my powerslides? But besides that who knows... was thinking about getting another set of swiss but the mass pack of 100 bearings sounds like much better value for money lol.

Swiss 6 are the best. use in my main park set up. nice + fast on the smooth concrete.
give them a clean + re-lube when swapping to new wheels.
i always run shields/speed-rings/spacers in any set up.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: May 08, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've read good reviews for the ceramics, but not sure what the difference is between all the steel versions. I think there's different types of cages (nylon, steel, etc)? I'd imagine they'd roll fine with the original grease, probably just take a while to break in. I just ran them through a makeshift bearing cleaner with rubbing alcohol a few times. The next set I do I'll probably use acetone instead.

I emailed them asking about the differences and they said the 100 pack are just a 'standard bearing' whatever that means and recommended these:
https://www.vxb.com/8-High-Precision-Skateboard-ABEC-7-Bearing-p/s608-2rs-ceramic-abec7-skate.htm
https://www.vxb.com/16-High-Precision-Rollerblade-ABEC-7-Bearing-p/16-s608-2rs-ceramic-abec7.htm

uhhh no thanks.

Then they recommended these which must be the ceramics you're talking about:
https://www.vxb.com/16-Skates-608-2rs-Sealed-Ceramic-Bearing-8x22x7mm-p/608-2rs-16.htm

Not sure what differences there are between these and the bulk pack besides the balls being steel or ceramic. They're not particularly helpful either.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #357 on: May 08, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
mini logo bearings have nylon bearing cage like reds?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #358 on: May 08, 2020, 03:10:46 PM »
They have a removable rubber shield on one side, a removable metal shield on the other, a high speed molded ball retainer, precision ground and super-finished hardened chromium steel races and balls, and come pre-lubricated with Speed Cream.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: May 08, 2020, 03:46:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They have a removable rubber shield on one side, a removable metal shield on the other, a high speed molded ball retainer, precision ground and super-finished hardened chromium steel races and balls, and come pre-lubricated with Speed Cream.

the new ones have rubber shields on both sides.