Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88357 times)

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #630 on: December 16, 2020, 06:19:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m pretty bummed. My set of Swiss 6 arrived and one of the bearings is a dud. It’ll immediately stop after 2 rotations and you can feel something getting caught when it stops. Maybe one of the balls is deformed or the races. Had to replace the 1 bearing with 1 of my old normal Swiss. All is good, now off to the park I go.
[close]

Did you pop the shield and have a look in there?

You could even remove the race and see if something got in there.

Also not to assume there was something majorly wrong, but were they from a reputable source?  A lot of fakes getting around.

Bones and Skate One in general take that sort of stuff pretty seriously, so if you send them an email with purchase info, they usually help with anything you need (might even send you a new set).

Yeah I took off the shield and that did nothing, and neither did taking off the plastic race and putting it back in. I got them from old skull skates so I know that they’re good, plus the rest of the set is plenty fast. I emailed skate one to send me a single replacement bearing and they sent in a warranty claims for me so all should be good.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #631 on: December 16, 2020, 06:47:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m pretty bummed. My set of Swiss 6 arrived and one of the bearings is a dud. It’ll immediately stop after 2 rotations and you can feel something getting caught when it stops. Maybe one of the balls is deformed or the races. Had to replace the 1 bearing with 1 of my old normal Swiss. All is good, now off to the park I go.
[close]

Did you pop the shield and have a look in there?

You could even remove the race and see if something got in there.

Also not to assume there was something majorly wrong, but were they from a reputable source?  A lot of fakes getting around.

Bones and Skate One in general take that sort of stuff pretty seriously, so if you send them an email with purchase info, they usually help with anything you need (might even send you a new set).
[close]

Yeah I took off the shield and that did nothing, and neither did taking off the plastic race and putting it back in. I got them from old skull skates so I know that they’re good, plus the rest of the set is plenty fast. I emailed skate one to send me a single replacement bearing and they sent in a warranty claims for me so all should be good.

Sounds like you have it sorted which is great - spending decent coin on product that doesn't work always sucks.

It reminded me of a set of regular swiss a guy set up and skated and were making weird noises / rolling funny right out of the box still in the shop, so swapped them straight over for another set which worked fine so he was happy.  I cleaned and set the weird bearings up on one of my boards and oddly enough they came good after a couple of skates.  I still have them on a board and working fine, so I really don't know what was going on, but I guess something could happen.

They were on new trucks too, so it is not like old axle / wheel nut metal shavings fell into the bearings or anything like that, which will put an end to nice new bearings very quickly.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 42
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #632 on: December 17, 2020, 04:38:10 PM »

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #633 on: December 18, 2020, 03:58:34 AM »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 82
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #634 on: December 19, 2020, 06:52:46 PM »
Bronson raws
Cocteau Twins

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #635 on: January 19, 2021, 10:00:00 AM »
Expand Quote
YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED WITH INDEPENDANT BLACKS IN THE $15 RANGE.

sorry for yelling but these below are discontiunued but are an upgraderd version of Indy 7s. I found these much smoother and faster than reds, super reds and Shake Junt triple OGs. And seem uneffected by dirt, or hard skating  I feel like these dont feel much different from swiss to me (especially after a week of skating) from memory.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Independent-Genuine-Parts-Black-Skateboard-Bearings-msrp-25-00/273213425430?hash=item3f9cca0716:g:xA4AAOSw3pZa-fam

They use a very good lubricant as well on these and I got 6 months on them so far and theyre faster and smoother than all my other bearings (also seem to have a better seal as have not needed to be cleaned from the elemants like reds or SJ trip ogs and feel nice so I grabbed a couple more sets at this price. Some people are buying them and reselling them for $40. Not woth that, but def worth >$15 if looking for a good set.
[close]

Blacks are hit and miss. I've got one good set and one bad one. The retainer is kind of flimsy so if you get them wet or dirty and have to do a full breakdown then be careful when popping the crowns. I had one break and one bend pretty bad. They're decent enough cheapies and I'll buy them if they're on sale and there's no better option in the $10-15 range (flip hkd 7, mini logo etc) but I don't think they're anything special. I'm no great fan of reds but if I were choosing between the two I'd take reds for sure.

I just picked up a set of Sparrow bearings (https://errandsbrand.com/hardgoods) from the corner store and the initial impressions are good. He was out of the 7's so I had to get the 3's and honestly if the low end bearings are this good I'm very interested in trying the higher end ones. They're smooth, quiet, and reasonably quick. Not blazing "oh shit here comes a hill better foot drag so I don't die" fast or anything but still fast enough to be fun. I'd put them in that cheap but effective class with reds, modus black, indy black spitfire cheapshots etc. Definitely going to give the higher grade ones a chance when they're back in stock.

I was happy with indy blacks as well. Rode them all summer, then all winter, then cleaned them and put them on a cruiser board... and they are still rolling more than a year later (though a bit slower than they were out of the box). Seemed comparable to Reds... wouldn't pay $20 but at $14 they were nice.

The sparrow bearings look interesting! At $20 for the abec 3's and $25 for the high-end "falcons" I'd be tempted to try the falcons, since I've heard good things about bearings made in Japan. Anybody rolling on Japanese-made bearings?

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #636 on: January 19, 2021, 10:10:40 AM »
Got sick of cleaning my bearings every time my board ended up in a snowbank. Ordered some titanium coated yellowjacket venoms to try out. What have you got on your winter/rain setup? Ceramic? Stainless steel?

For most of us it's probably an old cheapie set (that's what I've done in the past)... but they rust and seize so fast...

sketchyrider

« Reply #637 on: January 19, 2021, 11:04:59 AM »
reds i had made it about 6 to 9 months of park skating before running rough enough to warrant replacement, which isn't bad. cleaned em once. big balls seem to have held up a bit better.

back on some old swiss for now. i kinda want a bearing press, its difficult to get bearings seated perfectly in hard wheels.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #638 on: January 19, 2021, 06:53:30 PM »
reds i had made it about 6 to 9 months of park skating before running rough enough to warrant replacement, which isn't bad. cleaned em once. big balls seem to have held up a bit better.

back on some old swiss for now. i kinda want a bearing press, its difficult to get bearings seated perfectly in hard wheels.

If you put a bit of lube or something on the inside of the bearing seat in the wheel, or a drop on your finger and run it round the bearing edge, they slip straight in without any issues.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #639 on: January 19, 2021, 07:04:02 PM »
Got sick of cleaning my bearings every time my board ended up in a snowbank. Ordered some titanium coated yellowjacket venoms to try out. What have you got on your winter/rain setup? Ceramic? Stainless steel?

For most of us it's probably an old cheapie set (that's what I've done in the past)... but they rust and seize so fast...

I bought some cheap-ish Hard Luck stainless steel bearings for my rust-proof rain cruiser (on a board with Theeve titanium axle and kingpin and stainless nuts, as well as stainless mounting hardware) and they are running stong after 3 or 4 rainy winters.

i kinda want a bearing press, its difficult to get bearings seated perfectly in hard wheels.

A bearing press is a worthwhile investment if you have more expensive tight tolerance bearings! The press seats it great and avoids any damage to the shields. Also, using the bearing pull function of it helps keep bearings in good shape, by avoiding the torsional stress that happens from prying them out on a truck axle. You can find unbranded presses for $25 shipped and they last for awhile... I've had mine for a decade and it's going strong.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

sketchyrider

« Reply #640 on: January 20, 2021, 06:52:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you put a bit of lube or something on the inside of the bearing seat in the wheel, or a drop on your finger and run it round the bearing edge, they slip straight in without any issues.

i'll remember that. i wonder if that makes it easier for them to slip out, but i don't see why they would if it's all cranked down and held together with the nut on. here's to hoping they get perfectly seated after some proper heck riding.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #641 on: January 20, 2021, 06:58:08 AM »
Running a set of 6-ball Reds right now, been really happy with them for ~$25.

Planning on getting Swiss 6 with my next set of wheels and will toss the 6-ball Reds on my second setup.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #642 on: January 20, 2021, 07:03:09 AM »
makes it easier for them to slip out, but i don't see why they would if it's all cranked down and held together with the nut on. here's to hoping they get perfectly seated after some proper heck riding.
It does make it easier to unseat the bearing and it does happen if you powerslide a lot. This just happened to my f4 og classics, but never to my conical fulls (fulls have a larger seat.)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #643 on: January 20, 2021, 07:40:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i'll remember that. i wonder if that makes it easier for them to slip out, but i don't see why they would if it's all cranked down and held together with the nut on. here's to hoping they get perfectly seated after some proper heck riding.

I would think if they were hard enough you couldn't easily push them in, just the smallest bit of something round the rim (not soaked or overdosed) and that should do the trick nicely, so they go in but they are not loose in there.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #644 on: January 20, 2021, 07:50:07 AM »
Expand Quote
makes it easier for them to slip out, but i don't see why they would if it's all cranked down and held together with the nut on. here's to hoping they get perfectly seated after some proper heck riding.
[close]
It does make it easier to unseat the bearing and it does happen if you powerslide a lot. This just happened to my f4 og classics, but never to my conical fulls (fulls have a larger seat.)

It's a funny thing hey, some wheels seem to have a decent bearing seat, some way too tight, which often results in the wheel splitting if it didn't bond well either, or as you had and I have seen too, some wheels just do not hold the bearings in place well at all.

I had a board that I thought had axle slip, then thought a bearing was seizing up, but it turned out the wheels didn't hold the bearings well, so every time I did something where the wheel would be pushed on an angle on my mini ramp, feeble and smith grinds especially, the inside bearing in the wheel would move and the wheel would jam up. I didn't want to get rid of them, but that was more annoying than I wanted to deal with, so no matter which bearings or whatever I did, they wouldn't hold.  Have a run, then press the wheel back down on the bearing, have another run, press again, etc.

That was the only time that those extra inner spacer type bearings like Bones Race Reds worked to solve the problem, as they didn't move out of place with the wheel nut done up tight, but they found a new home anyway.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #645 on: January 20, 2021, 01:13:34 PM »
Weird and random question but I just found some Speed Demons abec 7 bearings in a set of old ass wheels i got in a big parts haul - did this company ever make decent product or is this basically useless? Was thinking of throwing them into a extra set-up but if they're bunk I'll just shell out $20 for reds and kick the Speed Demons down to a little kid or something

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #646 on: January 20, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
swiss 6 with spacers and cant tell the difference with or without em
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #647 on: January 20, 2021, 04:11:55 PM »
Weird and random question but I just found some Speed Demons abec 7 bearings in a set of old ass wheels i got in a big parts haul - did this company ever make decent product or is this basically useless? Was thinking of throwing them into a extra set-up but if they're bunk I'll just shell out $20 for reds and kick the Speed Demons down to a little kid or something

It was price point product from Dwindle Distribution, but it was still the same product as their other pro brands, so chances are if they roll fine, give them a go (as they are free - you already have them) but then if they don't feel that good, you can always go buy some other bearings afterwards.

I am a bit biased, because I like rubber shields I can easily remove to clean, but I am guessing those ones are full metal all the way.

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #648 on: January 21, 2021, 09:49:24 AM »
Does anyone have experience with standard machine bearings? Recently I have bought 56 standard 608 2rs bearings for 30cent per bearing from a bearing shop.
When rolling around in the garage they don't feel that bad. I'm curious how long they will last.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #649 on: January 21, 2021, 05:35:02 PM »
Does anyone have experience with standard machine bearings? Recently I have bought 56 standard 608 2rs bearings for 30cent per bearing from a bearing shop.
When rolling around in the garage they don't feel that bad. I'm curious how long they will last.

Seven sets of bearings, at $2.40 a set is a good deal.

608 is the specific bearing size and make that we all use in skateboards.

RS - rubber shields, so 2 rubber shields on each bearing.

Pop the shields and have a look at the insides, could be all metal as per the older style of bearing, or could be nylon ball retainer as per newer style and most skate brand bearings nowdays, eg same as Bones, Modus, etc.

Also give them a bit of a shake / hold the inner ring inbetween two fingers of one hand and move the outer ring side to side with the other to see how much play there is - too much play and they might not last as long, but if they are reasonably tight in there, you might have some decent bearings.

Some generic bearings are so thickly lubed up they might hardly move at first, others almost not lubed at all, both will make some difference to how they skate right away, but should be about normal within a week of decent use.

I am interested to hear more once you have skated them a bit too.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #650 on: January 21, 2021, 06:21:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seven sets of bearings, at $2.40 a set is a good deal.

608 is the specific bearing size and make that we all use in skateboards.

RS - rubber shields, so 2 rubber shields on each bearing.

Pop the shields and have a look at the insides, could be all metal as per the older style of bearing, or could be nylon ball retainer as per newer style and most skate brand bearings nowdays, eg same as Bones, Modus, etc.

Also give them a bit of a shake / hold the inner ring inbetween two fingers of one hand and move the outer ring side to side with the other to see how much play there is - too much play and they might not last as long, but if they are reasonably tight in there, you might have some decent bearings.

Some generic bearings are so thickly lubed up they might hardly move at first, others almost not lubed at all, both will make some difference to how they skate right away, but should be about normal within a week of decent use.

I am interested to hear more once you have skated them a bit too.

where does one purchase such cheap bearings.

I just ordered some independent blacks from the sale thread. will report back when i get them
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

DirtyHairHalo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #651 on: January 21, 2021, 06:22:35 PM »
Reds, Super Reds, Big Balls, Swiss and of course, Rockin' Rons.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #652 on: January 21, 2021, 06:29:53 PM »

where does one purchase such cheap bearings.

I just ordered some independent blacks from the sale thread. will report back when i get them

Does anyone have experience with standard machine bearings? Recently I have bought 56 standard 608 2rs bearings for 30cent per bearing

from a bearing shop.

There are lots of places to get 608 bearings, some are good quality, most are not as good as skateboard brand bearings.

The issue is you don't know until they arrive, so you can take a chance at any random bearings from any number of places if you search, eg from ebay, a generic bearing shop, some other less known source.

Same as the "Watch out for fake Bones Swiss" commentary, there are lots more people selling anything and everything including bearings via any means possible, but that doesn't mean they will be good.

Not trying to be a dick or not give you answers, but just a friendly helpful reminder that known quality from a reputable source is far better than a cheap product that may or may not last, in the long run.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #653 on: January 26, 2021, 04:40:08 AM »
My bearings got stuck after I tried grinding a ledge with snow and ice on it on Saturday  ::) I cleaned them with cleaning petrol and now they work again. I read somewhere that sowing machine oil was a good lube so my wife got me some. Before I apply it I would like to ask you dudes if that's a good idea. It's really liquid oil specifically for sowing machines. Thanks in advance.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

NYRAD

« Reply #654 on: January 26, 2021, 06:14:22 AM »
Im Skating Bronson G3 with Shields on and Spacers, i was a Bones REDS Guy but i love my Some Bronsons now, Really would Love to Try the Bronson CERAMICS but the Price of them when we eventually Get them in South Africa is going to be a Killer lol

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #655 on: January 26, 2021, 07:08:46 AM »
 :'(

You probably won't notice a difference in speed unless you're using really shitty spacers that rub the axle, but thats not what they're for. They're to keep everything aligned so that the forces are distributed evenly, so they essentially make them stronger rather than faster.

I'm in the midst of bearing ruining season here in Pittsburgh so I've been skating cheap ceramics a lot. The twolions ones from Amazon have been good so far. Vxb are acceptable but pretty slow.

Haven't had a chance to really put them through their paces yet but I picked up a set of olympia silvers on sale and they seem pretty solid. Not much play in them and they're pretty quick straight out of the box... Or i guess out of the folded piece of cardboard with a wax seal. Anyone tried the olympia bronze or ceramics?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #656 on: January 26, 2021, 07:14:37 AM »
Bones Swiss Ceramics - worth it

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #657 on: January 26, 2021, 07:20:27 AM »
:'(
Expand Quote
[close]

You probably won't notice a difference in speed unless you're using really shitty spacers that rub the axle, but thats not what they're for. They're to keep everything aligned so that the forces are distributed evenly, so they essentially make them stronger rather than faster.

I'm in the midst of bearing ruining season here in Pittsburgh so I've been skating cheap ceramics a lot. The twolions ones from Amazon have been good so far. Vxb are acceptable but pretty slow.

Haven't had a chance to really put them through their paces yet but I picked up a set of olympia silvers on sale and they seem pretty solid. Not much play in them and they're pretty quick straight out of the box... Or i guess out of the folded piece of cardboard with a wax seal. Anyone tried the olympia bronze or ceramics?

Where was they on sell? I currently have had the silvers for over a year. Never cleaned them and skate a dusty ass diy often and they have held up great. I just had 2 in the sane wheel start to lock up. Probably just need cleaned. But also debating on grabbing some more.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #658 on: January 26, 2021, 04:27:40 PM »
My bearings got stuck after I tried grinding a ledge with snow and ice on it on Saturday  ::) I cleaned them with cleaning petrol and now they work again. I read somewhere that sowing machine oil was a good lube so my wife got me some. Before I apply it I would like to ask you dudes if that's a good idea. It's really liquid oil specifically for sowing machines. Thanks in advance.

Sewing machine oil or any other light machine oil is what is in most skate brand lubricants so yes it will work.

We used to nic the sewing machine oil from the sewing room quite often as kids, most likely not the only ones, I would imagine.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #659 on: January 26, 2021, 04:42:35 PM »
Don't use cum for bearing lube. It cost me my career. As an accountant. Long story.

But anyways, I have Bones Swiss, sans non-functional spacers. Shit's good now, but further developments when snow melts, goddammmit.