Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88293 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #780 on: December 22, 2021, 07:34:46 PM »
i picked up a set of super swiss 6s along with a new set of conical fulls and genuinely don't feel a difference between them and the reds i was running before :/ pretty bummed about it.

I want to say, wait and get back to me in a year, or even in a few years, or if you are lucky, even ten years, but that is all down to how you skate, what you do with them and how long they last.

Most people find they outlast other options like Reds many times over, but then again, I do know some people who are more keen to just get as many sets of cheaper bearings, not look after them at all and swap in a fresh set whenever they need them or get new wheels.

The choice is yours, but I get what you are saying right now about those bearings.  I think even just wearing them in nicely after a few sessions or so should help them feel good, but a lot of people are put off by the silent newness of them as well.

One set I have on a board could be older than some of the kids I help and skate with for their school sport and when they all jump on that board, they can't believe how fast it is, but that is just one case and these bearings haven't been through half the ins and outs of use that others would put them through.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #781 on: December 22, 2021, 08:51:13 PM »
i picked up a set of super swiss 6s along with a new set of conical fulls and genuinely don't feel a difference between them and the reds i was running before :/ pretty bummed about it.

How long have you been riding them?  My Swiss 6 needed a couple weeks to break in and have been stellar since.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #782 on: December 23, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »
I've been riding swiss 6's for 8 years. I dont skate big stuff, mostly park.
They are still solid and super smooth. For fun I bought some reds, and after 1 season they are shit. They roll super uneven (when u roll with your fingers). Either mine are fake, or they have terrible tolerance.

And yes, I clean my bearings 2 times per year. Aceton bath, with cage out etc.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 12:34:15 PM by Vintagebody »

peterpenis

• Rep: 6
« Reply #783 on: December 29, 2021, 08:38:24 AM »
Looking for new bearings. Reading through this thread the answer should be easy, just get bones swiss.
But of course I am willing to completely overthink this.
I live in a coastal city in northern europe. I guess the weather is similar to Seattle. So for 6 months per year my set up is either getting wet or I am not skating. With bones swiss can I clean them after they start locking up or are they ruined at that point? I dont want to spend 100 euro (wtf???) on bearings and then be paranoid after every second session in winter.

And of course I'm curios about quantum bearings, but my skateshop does not carry them, any other way to get them in europe?

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #784 on: December 29, 2021, 12:56:46 PM »
Looking for new bearings. Reading through this thread the answer should be easy, just get bones swiss.
But of course I am willing to completely overthink this.
I live in a coastal city in northern europe. I guess the weather is similar to Seattle. So for 6 months per year my set up is either getting wet or I am not skating. With bones swiss can I clean them after they start locking up or are they ruined at that point? I dont want to spend 100 euro (wtf???) on bearings and then be paranoid after every second session in winter.

And of course I'm curios about quantum bearings, but my skateshop does not carry them, any other way to get them in europe?

DM Quantum on Instagram. They should be able to get you sorted out.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #785 on: December 29, 2021, 07:23:18 PM »
Quantums. as a transition skater speed is the most important thing. I don’t trust any other bearing. These things are so fucking fast.

Honestly my Quantums Ceramics really shine the best in the bowl and pool
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #786 on: February 20, 2022, 03:59:51 PM »
Does anyone notice the difference between quantum atoms/isotopes and bones swiss?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #787 on: March 15, 2022, 07:47:18 AM »
Does anyone notice the difference between quantum atoms/isotopes and bones swiss?

I have both and it’s mostly the sound. Quantum are quieter. The Quantum’s are faster if I spin the wheels by hand, but I don’t skate parks or anything so I’m not sure I notice much otherwise. I have noticed that the Quantum bearings never jam up if I land super fucked and primo.

IpathCats

« Reply #788 on: March 15, 2022, 09:37:20 AM »
Have been on the quantum isotopes for a while now. And I can say for sure that if you're in the market for anything other than cheap bargain bearings, you're absolutely fucking up if you dont get these. Best price to performance, hands down. And I get to support an east coast skater owned business? No brainer.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #789 on: March 15, 2022, 10:21:39 AM »
well, homeboy from quantum sent me a set of complimentary/replacement isotope bearings with the new retainers. I've got a new set of trucks on the way and will set these up at that point. Will report back after skating them for a month. I hope they're as bitchin as I'd hoped they would be the first go round ;)
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Ziaon

• Rep: 1
« Reply #790 on: March 15, 2022, 10:28:29 AM »
Usually bulk Indy's or Cheapshots.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 89
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #791 on: March 15, 2022, 05:49:17 PM »
Have been on the quantum isotopes for a while now. And I can say for sure that if you're in the market for anything other than cheap bargain bearings, you're absolutely fucking up if you dont get these. Best price to performance, hands down. And I get to support an east coast skater owned business? No brainer.

Wow!  This is the type of review that keeps us pushing on.

Appreciate all the love from the Slap board. 

Today marks one year that our brand’s been live.  And you guys have been huge.

Thanks so much! 🙏⚛️
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #792 on: March 16, 2022, 12:45:54 AM »
What are the tolerances on Quantum bearings, and why is there no bearing spacers included?
Are they not designed to rotate around the inner race?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #793 on: March 16, 2022, 05:19:11 AM »
I like to assemble and reassemble bearings. It's kinda relaxing for me.

I usually just put the metal parts of bearings (balls, spacer, ring) in a jar filled with a gasoline and let them dry afterwards. Cleaned the retainer cages with water.

Gasoline is always around but now I want to try something else. Been thinking about soap dish, what's ya opinion of that?
IG: @flowterspace

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #794 on: March 16, 2022, 06:07:37 AM »

I usually just put the metal parts of bearings (balls, spacer, ring) in a jar filled with a gasoline and let them dry afterwards. Cleaned the retainer cages with water.

Gasoline is always around but now I want to try something else. Been thinking about soap dish, what's ya opinion of that?

i'd get degreaser for bike parts, like chain degreaser. dish soap is just amped up regular soap that's able to dissolve more oil into it, but with very dirty bearings, that mix of dirt and industrial grease can still be hard or impossible to dissolve.

that is if you want to try something besides alcohol/gasoline/terpentine.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #795 on: March 16, 2022, 07:40:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'd get degreaser for bike parts, like chain degreaser. dish soap is just amped up regular soap that's able to dissolve more oil into it, but with very dirty bearings, that mix of dirt and industrial grease can still be hard or impossible to dissolve.

Here's a bicycle industry semi-secret - "chain degreaser" is usually just automotive brake part cleaner in a different can. In fact, almost all solvents and lubricants marketed towards bikes can be purchased for a fraction of the price at the auto parts store.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #796 on: March 16, 2022, 10:38:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Here's a bicycle industry semi-secret - "chain degreaser" is usually just automotive brake part cleaner in a different can. In fact, almost all solvents and lubricants marketed towards bikes can be purchased for a fraction of the price at the auto parts store.

Wait, what. Really? Alright, then I can use brake cleaner from my car instead. ^^
IG: @flowterspace

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #797 on: March 16, 2022, 11:03:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

manysnakes coming through with the pro tips :D thanks yo. i usually buy whatever i can from the hardware or auto parts store anyway, haha.

but! does the car stuff also smell as good as the bike stuff? it's not important maybe, but for me it is.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #798 on: March 16, 2022, 12:18:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

manysnakes coming through with the pro tips :D thanks yo. i usually buy whatever i can from the hardware or auto parts store anyway, haha.

but! does the car stuff also smell as good as the bike stuff? it's not important maybe, but for me it is.

Yeah, it still hits like the more expensive solvents when you inhalant it. Like wine, you're mostly paying for the label.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #799 on: March 16, 2022, 12:39:49 PM »
Like wine, you're mostly paying for the label.
It's often true.

And, I'm French...

@manysnakes thanks for the tips!

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #800 on: March 16, 2022, 01:36:01 PM »

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #801 on: March 16, 2022, 06:54:35 PM »
Just ordered a pair of these:

https://www.quantumbearing.science/shop/p/isotopes?utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer_notification

Excited to try on my F4 52mms

My exact setup with some conicals. Don’t think I’ll go back to any other bearings, I’ll run quantum’s as long as they make ‘em.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #802 on: March 16, 2022, 07:12:28 PM »
Same with Speed Cream, sewing machine oil does the same job for way less. I'll use cheap ass lube for my cheap ass bearings, no need to caviar up my Big Mac.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Rattus Localis

« Reply #803 on: March 16, 2022, 07:17:21 PM »
Lately I've just been running Mini Logos. As well as being cheaper, I've found they last longer than Reds, which I'm convinced are the most overrated bearings ever.

Had so many sets of Reds over the years and they always seize up on me really quick. This is from someone who never skates through puddles or sand, doesn't do "high impact" tricks, and rarely hits super grimey spots.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: March 16, 2022, 07:33:07 PM »
Same with Speed Cream, sewing machine oil does the same job for way less. I'll use cheap ass lube for my cheap ass bearings, no need to caviar up my Big Mac.

Oh yeah, sewing machine oil for bearings is all you need. Although I did use my included Quantum lube when I cleaned those guys up.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #805 on: March 16, 2022, 07:46:32 PM »
Using up my last set of Rockin Rons and then its strictly Quantums and Bones Swiss 6. Quantum are seriously they best bang for your buck.

CullTheKarens

• Rep: 8
« Reply #806 on: March 17, 2022, 05:18:14 AM »
Just stuffed a set of bones swiss into some slimeballs last night. First set of bearings that aren't reds. I'm done buying communist made shit whenever possible.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #807 on: March 17, 2022, 05:19:52 AM »
Just stuffed a set of bones swiss into some slimeballs last night. First set of bearings that aren't reds. I'm done buying communist made shit whenever possible.

Lol

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #808 on: March 17, 2022, 05:56:44 AM »
Break cleaner
Sewing machine oil

Noted.

On a side note, this remind me one day my  brother told me that shoe goo looked like windshield glue...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 06:51:30 AM by Solex »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #809 on: March 17, 2022, 06:39:19 AM »
Break cleaner
Sewing machine oil

Noted.

On a side note, this reminded me one day my  brother told me that shoe goo looked like windshield glue...

Shoe Goo is the same shit as E6000 automotive and industrial adhesive. It was suggested to me at an auto part store to adhere some loose trim in my car, and when I got it home I realized that they’re made by the same company, come in the same tube with the same warning labels and specifications. Same shit, just marketed to different customers.

They also cost basically the same amount so there’s no advantage buying E6000, unless you’re already at the auto store.