Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88309 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #810 on: March 17, 2022, 09:10:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Break cleaner
Sewing machine oil

Noted.

On a side note, this reminded me one day my  brother told me that shoe goo looked like windshield glue...
[close]

Shoe Goo is the same shit as E6000 automotive and industrial adhesive. It was suggested to me at an auto part store to adhere some loose trim in my car, and when I got it home I realized that they’re made by the same company, come in the same tube with the same warning labels and specifications. Same shit, just marketed to different customers.

They also cost basically the same amount so there’s no advantage buying E6000, unless you’re already at the auto store.

Big if true, E6000 is 1/2 the price of Shoe Goo in my country, definitely testing this out over the weekend.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Solex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #811 on: March 17, 2022, 10:20:50 AM »
Big if true, E6000 is 1/2 the price of Shoe Goo in my country, definitely testing this out over the weekend.
E6000 and shoe goo are the same price in France...never mind.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 89
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #812 on: March 17, 2022, 10:47:21 AM »
Again, appreciate all the love on this thread!

Tell your local shops!  That’s what’s going to keep the lights on in the lab.

There’re still some shops sleeping.
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #813 on: March 17, 2022, 12:27:39 PM »

Hi!

Do you have any plan for a european distribution?

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #814 on: March 17, 2022, 03:58:40 PM »
DM’d you

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #815 on: March 17, 2022, 05:06:44 PM »
E6k and shoe goo are not the same. Shoe goo is thicker and is harder once it cures while E6k is thinner and flexible once its cured, even in cold weather.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #816 on: March 17, 2022, 05:25:40 PM »
E6k and shoe goo are not the same. Shoe goo is thicker and is harder once it cures while E6k is thinner and flexible once its cured, even in cold weather.

Interesting. After I noticed the similarities, I used E6000 as Shoe Goo and it worked just as well.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #817 on: March 17, 2022, 06:14:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting. After I noticed the similarities, I used E6000 as Shoe Goo and it worked just as well.

Ordered a small tube to test it out. If it does 80% of the job for 1/2 the price I'm sticking to it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

maggot cunt

« Reply #818 on: April 26, 2022, 12:08:38 PM »
the ‘new’ skf bearings are hitting uk shops now, anyone happen to have tried em yet? fairly decent price point (£30, same as super reds here), made in italy and apparently same ‘specification’ as swiss. tempting as i could do with fresh bearings

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #819 on: April 29, 2022, 03:41:18 PM »
I spread the Quantum gospel to my homie who recently ordered some. He got em today and was tripping how fast they are. He loves em. Gonna pick up some soon, all my bearings are turning into trash.

From certain things I noticed watching my homie skate today, they seem to definitely be just as good or better than swiss. Especially at the price.

The chillest1

LebowskisRug

« Reply #820 on: April 30, 2022, 06:59:10 AM »
My most recent Quantum Atoms are still going strong. Then slowed down for a bit but a quick clean and they’re good to go. A few of the shields won’t stay on but they sent new ones so we’re all good! They’re quieter than my Swiss but I guess I don’t care since they don’t make the board sound weird like an over lubed bearing.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #821 on: April 30, 2022, 07:03:46 AM »

Not sure if you've already answered this question, but are y'all planning on shipping to Japan or getting distributed out here?
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #822 on: May 01, 2022, 03:26:58 AM »
I prefer bearings with spacer and washers milled in like Race Reds.

I use Bear Space Balls.

I lube with a small amount of moly grease which creates some grease drag (wheels only free spin for about four seconds max). Bearings stay the same no matter how much dirt/sand they are exposed to. Everyone who has ridden my setup never complains about speed.

I dislike loosing speed due to dirty bearings and find cleaning a pain in the ass so i went searching for a solution.

I use a baby oral syringe to apply. No need to thin grease as done in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsXhSao7EEw

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #823 on: May 01, 2022, 06:21:42 AM »
I skate bones Swiss ceramics. (they were gifted to me I didn't spend the 140-160)

ive had the same bearings for about 13 years now. I regularly clean them usually when I get new wheels or its a boring rainy day. I've only had to buy bearing shields from bones twice because the sheilds would get bent or seat to peel from removing them so much and I rebuilt 2 of them because the retainer plastic started to fall apart probably due to cleaning. so I think I've spent 15 bucks in 13 years on these bearings.

been cleaning with acetone with the bones bearing cleaning kit and now the quantum ceramic lube

Snappyfingers

• Rep: 41
  • AW YEAH
« Reply #824 on: May 11, 2022, 01:56:22 PM »
I just picked up some Quantum Isotopes and will be trying them out at the local DIY this afternoon. Stoked because I’ve heard so many good things and also because it’s a company kinda in my local area (made in Charlotte and I’m in Columbia).
Shout out Bluetile for hooking it up!
AW YEAH

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #825 on: May 12, 2022, 09:54:26 AM »
the ‘new’ skf bearings are hitting uk shops now, anyone happen to have tried em yet? fairly decent price point (£30, same as super reds here), made in italy and apparently same ‘specification’ as swiss. tempting as i could do with fresh bearings

Got a set through the door this week.  Haven't skated them yet (it's wet and windy up here just now) but I'm stoked on 'em.  Slow spin on them out of the box but I hope they'll break in quickly.  All 8 were silky smooth btw.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #826 on: May 14, 2022, 09:18:27 AM »

I got a set, been using them for the past couple weeks, they are packed with grease and have metal shields on the backside. They seem to be per god so far, pretty smooth. I kept the shield on them, they seem to have a longer break in period than most bearings. No spacers, or washers so that sucks but yea they alright
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #827 on: May 15, 2022, 08:29:47 AM »
I just picked up some Quantum Isotopes and will be trying them out at the local DIY this afternoon. Stoked because I’ve heard so many good things and also because it’s a company kinda in my local area (made in Charlotte and I’m in Columbia).

Aren't they based in USA but made in China

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #828 on: May 15, 2022, 10:20:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Aren't they based in USA but made in China
I think they get raw bearings form china, but the magic sauce is done in house.

palach303

• Rep: 1
« Reply #829 on: May 21, 2022, 07:50:57 AM »
Im using Swiss 6 balls, but one of my wheels is a little too wobbly and it sounded kinda dead and didnt spin as well as the others. Tried putting in spacers and that was even worse so I put some spare mini logo bearings in the one problematic wheel and it still wobbles but spins and sounds perfect. I dont know whats going on but whatever, maybe I'll make it my superstitious madness shtick, different bearings in one wheel, kinda like the 3 graphics in 1 graphic out lol
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:13:46 AM by palach303 »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #830 on: May 22, 2022, 01:14:59 PM »
Im using Swiss 6 balls, but one of my wheels is a little too wobbly and it sounded kinda dead and didnt spin as well as the others. Tried putting in spacers and that was even worse so I put some spare mini logo bearings in the one problematic wheel and it still wobbles but spins and sounds perfect. I dont know whats going on but whatever, maybe I'll make it my superstitious madness shtick, different bearings in one wheel, kinda like the 3 graphics in 1 graphic out lol

I had that same problem a few years ago and since them I don't use spacers anymore. But I use the inside ring of old disassembled bearings as a mini spacer. A bit more stability as without spacers ya know.
IG: @flowterspace

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #831 on: May 22, 2022, 04:40:09 PM »
DM’d you

saw your nj colab with the rainbow shields ! may buy a whole new complete a size up and rock those. my best friend is scooping a set cause I told him about your story and slap. cheers! nj a superior place !

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #832 on: May 22, 2022, 04:52:13 PM »
Popped some lightly used Zealous in some highly worn spitfires. Was super surprised how much better they skated, especially considering they’re 6mm or so smaller than what I’ve been riding. Feel pretty stupid considering I’ve got three unused sets of bearings but I’m putting along on a few clapped out mismatched sets.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #833 on: May 23, 2022, 06:32:08 AM »
im running some used bronson G2 on my set up but im not feelin em.. just ordered  bones big balls. bones bearings are the best and have so many options price and quality wise ive had the bones swiss, super swiss 6. super reds. og reds and the big ball red 6. all good quality
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #834 on: May 23, 2022, 03:23:37 PM »

saw your nj colab with the rainbow shields ! may buy a whole new complete a size up and rock those. my best friend is scooping a set cause I told him about your story and slap. cheers! nj a superior place !

Appreciate it!  That was a fun one.  We love the NJ crew.  Hopefully get to do a bunch more collabs with shops.

Instagram
@quantumbearings

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #835 on: May 24, 2022, 12:57:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Got a set through the door this week.  Haven't skated them yet (it's wet and windy up here just now) but I'm stoked on 'em.  Slow spin on them out of the box but I hope they'll break in quickly.  All 8 were silky smooth btw.

Running them now and I'm very impressed to be honest.

slow spin out of the box, but that doesn't say anything about quality. They don't spin fast when you just spin your wheel either. But they run reeeeaaaaaaaaaally smooth when you apply "pressure" on the deck and just ride it.

I can't explain it, but it's almost like you can tell they're very durable, they feel "tight".
No surprise they are used in heavy machinery.

PS: they're very quiet, so if you want noise you're going to have to pop the shields

SaySo

« Reply #836 on: June 08, 2022, 12:42:12 AM »
A heads up, according to my shop owning friend, the wholesale prices of all Bones bearings are going up.

Caveat: This may only affect prices in Japan or in Asia.

Thought y'all might want to know.

It is possible that the ripple effect will hit more than just the Asia/Pacific region, but maybe not.

As an example, Bones Swiss, from what he said once current stocks are gone, the prices are going up to roughly 10,500 yen retail from a current retail of about 8,000. A lot of local shops have already raised prices.

Is it time to stockpile/put on ice? That's up for debate.

But just food for thought.

To paraphrase Ralph Waldo Emerson, prices once raised by new variables, never return to their original levels.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #837 on: June 08, 2022, 04:42:07 AM »
A heads up, according to my shop owning friend, the wholesale prices of all Bones bearings are going up.

It is possible that the ripple effect will hit more than just the Asia/Pacific region, but maybe not.

As an example, Bones Swiss, from what he said once current stocks are gone, the prices are going up to roughly 10,500 yen retail from a current retail of about 8,000. A lot of local shops have already raised prices.

To paraphrase Ralph Waldo Emerson, prices once raised by new variables, never return to their original levels.

I just checked, and some shops (here in Japan) are already jacking prices, so o grabbed a couple sets for posterity at the current price.

Thanks for the heads up!
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

SaySo

« Reply #838 on: June 08, 2022, 05:22:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just checked, and some shops (here in Japan) are already jacking prices, so o grabbed a couple sets for posterity at the current price.

Thanks for the heads up!

Fosho! If you are in the Kanto area, my homie's shop still has sets for around 8,000.

https://riverbirchskateshop.com/collections/bearing/products/bones-bearings-swiss/

EDIT: That's sans shipping.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #839 on: June 08, 2022, 06:09:27 AM »
Found a pair online of Swiss 6 for about the same price. I’ll grab another set if one of my locals is in the ballpark. I’m in Nagano.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea