Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 91846 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #1140 on: October 08, 2023, 11:00:28 AM »
Powell blamed it on wear and tear, which was amusing because I was mostly skating curbs (not slappies necessarily), fairly low ledges, and skating around SF to/from work. I followed their exact cleaning instructions, yet they noted that some chemicals can degrade the races and I couldn't rule that out.

Around the same time that I got my second set of Atoms a few friends ordered some. They've also had great luck and some of them post on here semi-regularly. Frankly I don't get why there's so much animosity for a brand when people ask what you're riding and someone responds that they're riding Quantum.

Bearings aren't that complicated. There's a bunch of lower tier (sub $15), middle tier (~Reds, Quantum Metallics, G3), and upper tier (any Bones Swiss, Bronson Ceramics, Quantum Atoms/Isotopes) options all of which will work great save for any heavy wear and tear or fluke product issues.

To someone that asked about ultrasonic cleaners I always use one. I have it from when I rode bikes and cleaned my chains. Works great for getting little specs of bullshit out.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #1141 on: October 08, 2023, 11:46:00 AM »
I've had great experiences with my atoms and isotopes. Both have been faster and help up better than any set of swiss or swiss six I've had (which were obviously both really great too)

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #1142 on: October 08, 2023, 03:49:19 PM »
Never had a Bones Swiss bearing jam on me in any situation. Quantum Atoms, on the other hand, didn't last long, started jamming after an unreasonably short while, seems like they can't handle too much high-impact curb skating. My own fault for getting on the Quantum hype bandwagon I guess.

Nothing else than Bones Swiss here from now on.

Well I can safely say, aside from the first run of isotopes that had the bad cages(which QBS replaced with a new set of bearings with the new cages when I told them about mine locking up), they handle high impact skating just fine for me. About 90% of my skating is slappys and I generally get about 3-5 days with at least an hour sometimes 2-3hrs, and they’re still going strong. I’m old so I’m not tossing my carcass down stairs or gaps anymore, so I can’t say how they stand up to that, but they can definitely take being beat to hell slapping curbs w/o an issue on the set I have. Like I said over a year old, 3-5 days at 1-3hrs on pretty much curbs. I’d say they can handle slapping curbs just fine.
Can’t say how that compares to Swiss since I’ve never owned a set.

Did you ever bother trying to get a hold of anyone at QBS about the issue you had? Not on here talking shit, but like, send an email or dm on IG? Like I said, I had an issue, contacted them, they went and made it right without hesitation.

Mick

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1143 on: October 08, 2023, 03:56:15 PM »
Been rocking these Andale Puig bearings after some G3s and honestly, they kinda go.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #1144 on: October 08, 2023, 05:44:19 PM »
Powell blamed it on wear and tear, which was amusing because I was mostly skating curbs (not slappies necessarily), fairly low ledges, and skating around SF to/from work. I followed their exact cleaning instructions, yet they noted that some chemicals can degrade the races and I couldn't rule that out.

Around the same time that I got my second set of Atoms a few friends ordered some. They've also had great luck and some of them post on here semi-regularly. Frankly I don't get why there's so much animosity for a brand when people ask what you're riding and someone responds that they're riding Quantum.

Bearings aren't that complicated. There's a bunch of lower tier (sub $15), middle tier (~Reds, Quantum Metallics, G3), and upper tier (any Bones Swiss, Bronson Ceramics, Quantum Atoms/Isotopes) options all of which will work great save for any heavy wear and tear or fluke product issues.

To someone that asked about ultrasonic cleaners I always use one. I have it from when I rode bikes and cleaned my chains. Works great for getting little specs of bullshit out.

The instructions that come with Bones Swiss recommend Gumout carb cleaner. I used it once and it ruined the bearings, it felt like the balls had flat spots after that.

I always use 99% isopropyl alcohol with the Bones cleaning kit, then one drop of speed cream in each bearing after they’re dry. Shields always on. I still have one set of Swiss 6 from like 2006 that’s still going strong.

I think the Bones instructions mention you can use acetone too, but I don’t trust that either. Acetone can’t possibly be good for the ball retainers

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #1145 on: October 08, 2023, 06:42:19 PM »
Take the balls out of the retainers and only soak the metal parts. Its a little tricky to get the balls back in place but its the best way to clean them properly and avoid ruining the plastic retainers. (if that's your concern). Use a hair dryer to dry everything properly before reassembly. Minimal lube, post clean. 1, or 2 drops max of speed cream.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1146 on: October 08, 2023, 06:46:03 PM »
I only use ispropyl, would never use something harsh like carb cleaner or acetone personally. Acetone can compromise some plastics apparently.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #1147 on: October 09, 2023, 01:44:21 AM »
Hmm, I've used acetone with seemingly no problems, but upon investigating more about its possible effects on plastics, I think I'll switch to isopropyl alcohol from now on. Some say that its less efficient as a degreaser than acetone, but I reckon for the amount of dirt in bearings it will be sufficient.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 02:47:48 AM by rikki »

darkthrone

• Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1148 on: October 09, 2023, 04:48:49 AM »
I rode Powell Swiss for years and never thought anything else ever came close to how good they were, but recently tried the Quantum atoms and I’m loving them. Pretty much switched over to those now.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1149 on: October 09, 2023, 06:57:45 AM »
To whomever I was rude or snarky to.  And anyone who felt I was anything other than pleasant and helpful to them, I apologize.  It was never my intent.
  Anyone who knows either of us, with Quantum, will tell you we are the most approachable positive people you’ll meet.
  I think tone and intent are sometimes tough to “read” in text.

Once again, we appreciate anyone who’s tried our products, whether you had a bad experience or great experience.  We really are working hard.  And the positive has outweighed the negative by a million.

Take care, Slap Pals

None of your posts have been anything but factual or helpful; don't worry about the little snowflakes (but good on you for company damage control anyway).

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1150 on: October 09, 2023, 08:42:13 PM »
Take the balls out of the retainers and only soak the metal parts. Its a little tricky to get the balls back in place but its the best way to clean them properly and avoid ruining the plastic retainers. (if that's your concern). Use a hair dryer to dry everything properly before reassembly. Minimal lube, post clean. 1, or 2 drops max of speed cream.

This is exactly what I do.

All my ceramics have done better than 7 years. That's 3 sets I got like 10 out the first. 12 out the second and I'm running on ceramic reds I got used in 2016 rn.

Might as well just throw out the shields but I usually don't. I won't be going forward.

I've had like 4 or 5 other metal bearing side boards. Some had flat spots in them some rusted because I didn't clean them fast enough after a slightly damp day.

Swiss rust easier than reds for sure I think it's because of the difference in plastics
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #1151 on: October 10, 2023, 07:43:48 AM »
I rode Powell Swiss for years and never thought anything else ever came close to how good they were, but recently tried the Quantum atoms and I’m loving them. Pretty much switched over to those now.

Ive had multiple sets of Bones reds, swiss, super reds and one set of the swiss 6 and few of the 6 ball reds. All are pretty good but i feel after covid all the china made bones bearings weren't the same.

I grabbed a set of the quantum metallics based off SLAP and really liked them. felt they were on par with bones swiss and definetly better then all the reds i tried. However after i used some speedcream they never spun as fast as they did when i first got them.

I got myself the isotopes and have been using them without the shields and i use speedcream on them about once every two months and they work great.  totally worth the $60 and in the future would get them again.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1152 on: October 10, 2023, 07:51:33 AM »
It does probably help to use the lube the manufacturer recommends or similar.

FWIW I have always found Speed Cream inferior to gun oil or basic 3-in-1.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #1153 on: October 10, 2023, 09:52:47 AM »

i forgot to order a bottle when i got the isotopes.. i wanna order there lube on its own but i can't make an order under $10 :(
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1154 on: October 10, 2023, 10:26:33 AM »
I'd just get some sewing machine oil, gun oil, or something super thin off Amazon if that's the case. I know their lube is formulated per their specs, but the above are less viscous than Speed Cream and I've always had better luck.

rikki

« Reply #1155 on: October 11, 2023, 12:59:01 AM »
Yeah I think basic sewing machine oil works best. Not saying Speed Cream is bad, mind you.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1156 on: October 11, 2023, 03:18:11 PM »

This is what one needs if you want to ride the same set of ceramic for 5 - 12 years.

It frees up rain/sleet bloard bearings that are locked up and everything

It's thin enough for dirty bearings too.

4 of my favorite things right here.
(A)pl(E)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1157 on: October 11, 2023, 09:51:00 PM »

This is what one needs if you want to ride the same set of ceramic for 5 - 12 years.

whats your exact process?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1158 on: October 11, 2023, 10:07:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
whats your exact process?

Sometimes I just throw some drops and go.

If I really want to clean them

I disassemble the bearings one by one completely into a cream cheese container that I poked holes in the corner of the lid so I can drain it into another cup. Re use the same acetone for each one of the bearings in turn

After I have one reassembled I let it dry to the side.

The plastic parts I have in a third cup of warm water and a few drops of Dawn.

Once all parts are dry and reassembled I put two drops of sewing machine oil per bearing.

If I got shields I pop um back on.

Oh yeah I use my brothers tooth brush on all parts and return it to the bathroom
(A)pl(E)

OhioGuy

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1159 on: October 13, 2023, 09:40:22 AM »
Anyone ever mix bearings? One of my Swiss 6 is slow and I don’t want to buy a new set. Slap a G3 in there and it’s fast as the other wheels now.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1160 on: October 13, 2023, 09:58:28 AM »
Anyone ever mix bearings? One of my Swiss 6 is slow and I don’t want to buy a new set. Slap a G3 in there and it’s fast as the other wheels now.
I wouldn't be able to do that.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1161 on: October 13, 2023, 10:05:47 AM »

I’m not convinced that Speed Cream is anything other than lightweight machine oil (gun or sewing machine).
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rikki

« Reply #1162 on: October 13, 2023, 11:41:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m not convinced that Speed Cream is anything other than lightweight machine oil (gun or sewing machine).

Similar thoughts here. A great overhead from a product, if nothing else.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 845
« Reply #1163 on: October 14, 2023, 05:02:30 PM »
Speed cream, Bronson, and most skate specific products work fine, as does a decent sewing machine oil. Be careful with the stuff that comes in the tiny sample size vials though, I ruined a set of brass cage ceramics with off brand sewing oil once... I think they were pigs. 3-in-1 is too thick and doesn't disperse well, especially in cold weather.

When it comes to lube the closest thing to an secret sauce I've found is liberty oil. I bought a 4oz bottle years ago and now I put it on everything. Actually just used it to quiet down a noisy computer fan bearing like an hour ago haha. It's like $9 on Amazon and you'll almost certainly lose the bottle before you use it up. One or two drops and you're good for months.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 466
« Reply #1164 on: October 15, 2023, 11:31:13 AM »
Speed cream, Bronson, and most skate specific products work fine, as does a decent sewing machine oil. Be careful with the stuff that comes in the tiny sample size vials though, I ruined a set of brass cage ceramics with off brand sewing oil once... I think they were pigs. 3-in-1 is too thick and doesn't disperse well, especially in cold weather.

When it comes to lube the closest thing to an secret sauce I've found is liberty oil. I bought a 4oz bottle years ago and now I put it on everything. Actually just used it to quiet down a noisy computer fan bearing like an hour ago haha. It's like $9 on Amazon and you'll almost certainly lose the bottle before you use it up. One or two drops and you're good for months.

This one?
https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Synthetic-Lubricating-Grandfather-Clocks/dp/B00AZMGFI4#:~:text=100%25%20Synthetic%20oil%20that%20will,on%20plastics%20and%20painted%20surfaces.

Or this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QNQ2VE/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #1165 on: October 15, 2023, 07:21:38 PM »
Small rant but just started skating a set of Quantum ceramics about 5 sessions ago and one wheel is already squeaking.

Had this happen to my set of metallics too. These were purchased over a year ago so maybe this doesn't happen anymore, but- annoying.

Never had a set of $10 Mini Logos squeak before the graphics wear off the wheels...

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1166 on: October 15, 2023, 08:31:52 PM »
So what did Quantum say when you told them about it?

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #1167 on: October 16, 2023, 01:08:55 AM »
Bought some Bones Big Balls to have for my indoor setup. The shields doesnt even cover properly. What kind of gibberish crap is this? Bones is seriously lousy. Atleast the cheaper ones like reds and big balls.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 845
« Reply #1168 on: October 16, 2023, 01:11:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This one?
https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Synthetic-Lubricating-Grandfather-Clocks/dp/B00AZMGFI4#:~:text=100%25%20Synthetic%20oil%20that%20will,on%20plastics%20and%20painted%20surfaces.

Or this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QNQ2VE/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams

I believe they're the same, the bottom one is just unstained for sewing machine use. I have the green stuff but either should be fine.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 466
« Reply #1169 on: October 16, 2023, 09:42:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This one?

Or this one?
[close]

I believe they're the same, the bottom one is just unstained for sewing machine use. I have the green stuff but either should be fine.

Thanks I appreciate the response. Will be grabbing some soon.