Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296304 times)

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3540 on: April 30, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »
I always thought titanium was like an indestructible metal and after some google searching about axles and how Chromoly ones are actually stronger than titanium, I donít see how a truck entirely made of titanium could be stronger than a standard raw aluminum one. Titanium is more corrosion resistant compared to aluminum but thatís all I can gather. $180 for a set of titanium trucks that have a higher chance of breaking (even with the one piece axle) seems like a financial risk not worth taking.

Iím all about Ace and Iím aware their recycled Chinese aluminum has had problems but as far as Indy goes, I never hear about people breaking them. Ever.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3541 on: April 30, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
I went back to my thunder 147 cause they respond fast and are lightest and Iím riding 8.2 and below and they work great

Kinda testing out ace 44 on the side since they work great too

Down to thunder vs ace

Might throw indy in there but kinda doubt it since compared to my top 2 choices the Indy are great at turning but response and weight throw me off

Yep...if you can't decide ACE or Thunder....Indy is the right answer.....or I'd run two set ups...

Ahaha good ole xen and his solutions

Yeah...indy is kinda the answer because they are kinda just the good ole reliable nothing special but is special truck for anything and everything...

Butttttt I like having my trucks being specific rather than well rounded, the thunders I love for street and theyíre just the perfect street truck

But the aces feel well rounded but now better for street than before

Indy though are classic and you canít beat the classics

So I did do that and have 2 setups, my flip feels cool but has an odd feel on the tail and nose being so flat and I had the ace 44ís on and it didnít help the odd feel so I got my thunders since they usually do the trick to help get any deck flipping

And I got my ace 44 on the stiff and flat but very poppy girl

If none of this works I guess indy it is

Theeves cast feels weird to me, theyíre solid but...feel kinda cheap or maybe itís cause of the slightly hollowed out pattern that goes against the deck like on thunder forged plates. They do turn good and sharp but to me theyíre kinda unstable, fast and sharp but wobbly on impact
yes

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3542 on: April 30, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »
I always thought titanium was like an indestructible metal and after some google searching about axles and how Chromoly ones are actually stronger than titanium, I donít see how a truck entirely made of titanium could be stronger than a standard raw aluminum one. Titanium is more corrosion resistant compared to aluminum but thatís all I can gather. $180 for a set of titanium trucks that have a higher chance of breaking (even with the one piece axle) seems like a financial risk not worth taking.

Iím all about Ace and Iím aware their recycled Chinese aluminum has had problems but as far as Indy goes, I never hear about people breaking them. Ever.

Steel is stronger than titanium but heavier

Titanium is stronger than aluminum but heavier

Titanium has the best strength to weight ratio of the 3 metals.  You couldn't make an all steel truck because it would be too heavy.  An aluminum axle would be too brittle.  An all titanium truck would give you the ideal weight and durability but the grinding sucks on titanium because it is so hard.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -49
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #3543 on: April 30, 2018, 06:06:16 PM »
Indy 144's with Spitfire Lockins 53mm just about too loose but tight so no wheelbite on roll aways.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #3544 on: April 30, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »

Titanium has the best strength to weight ratio of the 3 metals.  You couldn't make an all steel truck because it would be too heavy.  An aluminum axle would be too brittle.  An all titanium truck would give you the ideal weight and durability but the grinding sucks on titanium because it is so hard.

Yah I got the tih's because of axel slip...I was plagued with that problem for years, I tried everything : Indy, thunder, fury, normal theeves, washers...spacers...

It's kind of a wild construction in the hanger and axel being one piece so I don't know if that design is stronger but other than that the trucks are crazy light, turn good but are not high,  they grind concrete well, but anything else...bad.  They don't wear down though for that reason....I could skate them to the end.  I'll give conventional trucks a shot and see how it goes....hopefully this thread doesn't prejudice any potential warranty. 

I haven't thought of it too much but I think softer the metal the better the grind no?  Aren't Aces soft and grind good? 

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3545 on: April 30, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »

Yah I got the tih's because of axel slip...I was plagued with that problem for years, I tried everything : Indy, thunder, fury, normal theeves, washers...spacers...

It's kind of a wild construction in the hanger and axel being one piece so I don't know if that design is stronger but other than that the trucks are crazy light, turn good but are not high,  they grind concrete well, but anything else...bad.  They don't wear down though for that reason....I could skate them to the end.  I'll give conventional trucks a shot and see how it goes....hopefully this thread doesn't prejudice any potential warranty. 

I haven't thought of it too much but I think softer the metal the better the grind no?  Aren't Aces soft and grind good?

Aces definitely grind down quicker than Indys, they grind good, but I didn't notice any substantial difference compared to indy or thunder when it comes to how well they grind. How bad do the TiHs grind on metal and flatbars? I hear people say they stick but is it really that bad?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3546 on: April 30, 2018, 07:28:51 PM »
I'd say half as well as anything else....imagine a regular truck...worn down but no groove....like that.  Man I've skated them for awhile now and in every other way they are a really good truck.  The 8.5 ones I have are set up on some clunker FA board and it feels light....that's so sick.  But....screech.  Some tricks the grab helps me but for a guy who skates pretty slow.....not so good. 

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3547 on: April 30, 2018, 10:53:53 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed the stock indy bushings have the indys at a height kinda standard almost mid but throwing in aftermarkets or bones makes them a bit taller?

I notice this but I wonder would breaking in the other bushings lower them eventually to the stock height
yes

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3548 on: April 30, 2018, 11:28:04 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed the stock indy bushings have the indys at a height kinda standard almost mid but throwing in aftermarkets or bones makes them a bit taller?

I notice this but I wonder would breaking in the other bushings lower them eventually to the stock height

No...

Octobre Rouge.

• Rep: -1
  • Black metal and ledge skating
« Reply #3549 on: May 01, 2018, 12:32:54 AM »
Hi,

I bought two plain Stage 11 Indy and swapped those orange cushions for some Krux aftermarket.

After skating, i checked the trucks and the krux cushions are chipping like crazy.

Any advice is more than welcomed

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3550 on: May 01, 2018, 01:01:40 AM »
Hi,

I bought two plain Stage 11 Indy and swapped those orange cushions for some Krux aftermarket.

After skating, i checked the trucks and the krux cushions are chipping like crazy.

Any advice is more than welcomed

Put the stock bushings back in... or buy some indy aftermarkets or bones bushings.

NootNoot

« Reply #3551 on: May 01, 2018, 01:41:39 AM »
Has anyone tried the new atv tensor trucks yet? Thinking of trying something new but not sure if itís a waste. The specs sound good.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3552 on: May 01, 2018, 01:50:21 AM »
Has anyone tried the new atv tensor trucks yet? Thinking of trying something new but not sure if itís a waste. The specs sound good.

From my perspective no, stick to thunder or Indy or if your down for different try ace

Acceptable substitutes also include krux, theeve, venture Hi, and mini logo (to my experience)

Any other truck feels very cut back and kinda cheap(especially silvers, worse trucks to exist on the market)
yes

NootNoot

« Reply #3553 on: May 01, 2018, 02:27:11 AM »

From my perspective no, stick to thunder or Indy or if your down for different try ace

Acceptable substitutes also include krux, theeve, venture Hi, and mini logo (to my experience)

Any other truck feels very cut back and kinda cheap(especially silvers, worse trucks to exist on the market)
I love the way ace turn but I donít feel they use the same quality of materials as Indy or thunder (other than bushings great bushings). The baseplate holes ovalize really quick on ace but I havenít tried the newer classics. Iím currently rocking ace44 on my cruiser and thunders on my regular setup but the thunders need replacing. Are mini logo really that good? I never would have guessed they look pretty cheap especially the hangar and Pivot cups. Theeve Iíve been tempted to try but they are really ugly trucks and expensive, I also saw a rat vision YouTube video where he proves that theeve was lying about their titanium trucks when they really had a very small amount of titanium and mostly aluminum, they told him it was ďjust marketingĒ.  Iíve also heard they were using fake bones bushings too so they donít seem like the most honest company. Ventures I like but the sizing is off the 5.8 are too wide for 8.25-8.3. I agree about silver, I tried the m class a few months ago and they felt like Walmart trucks.

Diocletian

« Reply #3554 on: May 01, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »
Stop talking about mini logo trucks, for the love of god. Those things are disgusting.

Do Theeve TiHís sit on top of a normal baseplate? Or is it forged or also titanium?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3555 on: May 01, 2018, 10:32:29 AM »
No they are just normal....crossed my mind to try and get a mag base but I'm not that koo koo...

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3556 on: May 01, 2018, 12:51:27 PM »
Stop talking about mini logo trucks, for the love of god. Those things are disgusting.

Do Theeve TiHís sit on top of a normal baseplate? Or is it forged or also titanium?

They are hideous but donít judge a book by its cover theyíre legit better than venture and Iíd say almost on the level of thunder performance wise

They turn pretty good once broken in, quick turn and can carve, low and fast response for pop buttttt that low height is a double edged sword

I like them but they kinda have a weird manual point that throws me off bad so I just stick to the top 3

Thunder
Indy
Ace
yes

full of jerks

• Rep: -11
« Reply #3557 on: May 01, 2018, 01:08:42 PM »
I went to the park yesterday with Thunders and three different extra sets of bushings to try.  Then my kingpin nut stripped and I had to go home early.

Diocletian

« Reply #3558 on: May 01, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »

They are hideous but donít judge a book by its cover theyíre legit better than venture and Iíd say almost on the level of thunder performance wise

They turn pretty good once broken in, quick turn and can carve, low and fast response for pop buttttt that low height is a double edged sword

I like them but they kinda have a weird manual point that throws me off bad so I just stick to the top 3

Thunder
Indy
Ace

We all judge a book by its cover. Letís face it. Those trucks are repulsive looking, and I know without ever riding them the turn isnít good. Please rob...letís never revisit ML truck discussion ever again. Youíre losing your mind.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3559 on: May 01, 2018, 05:37:49 PM »
So much of its marketing too....venture is an ugly truck....I hate the stupid thunder grenade....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3560 on: May 01, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
I went back to my thunder 147 cause they respond fast and are lightest and I’m riding 8.2 and below and they work great

Kinda testing out ace 44 on the side since they work great too

Down to thunder vs ace

Might throw indy in there but kinda doubt it since compared to my top 2 choices the Indy are great at turning but response and weight throw me off

Yep...if you can't decide ACE or Thunder....THEEVE is the right answer.....or I'd run two set ups...

Lighter than indy (if you go for tiKings) and turn much sharper, are stable on center but can still carve. Youc an also leave them stock, #probably the only truck you don't have to fuck with.

Except they look hideous. I noticed they bought back the Tih though, but that one has issues grinding on metal apparently.

Who gives a fuck what it looks like? better looking hanger/yoke than Indy...Function before fashion. People think ACE look like K-mart trucks yet people praise how they skate...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:29:54 PM by Xen »

backinaction

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3561 on: May 01, 2018, 08:57:11 PM »

Thunder
Indy
Ace

We all judge a book by its cover. Letís face it. Those trucks are repulsive looking, and I know without ever riding them the turn isnít good. Please rob...letís never revisit ML truck discussion ever again. Youíre losing your mind.

ML turn better than Thunder and grind better than Indy.

ultrabra

« Reply #3562 on: May 02, 2018, 04:29:16 AM »
Hi there fellow maddeners ;D

About them ML truck`s, sorry(why , i dont know). But i strted skateing sometimes 86-87.
I`ve ridden:

Gullving, sidewinder, street shadow, level III or something and more
Tracker, couple sets
Indy, many stages
many different generic trucks
Tensor
Krux 8.25
Ventures, a lot
Thunders, a lot
Origin
Fury, 825
Destucto
Royal

Propably forgetting some.
Anyways in the past years mainly ML.
Why, because there is no suprises with them. They just work. They just are there.
They are good, sorry.

Then again. At this age you just dont give a f. any more.

Next up tho, Thunder 148. Lets see ::)

Sorry, I`ll get me coat.

backinaction

« Reply #3563 on: May 02, 2018, 07:42:19 AM »
I'm not saying that MLs are the best everywhere and what everyone should be on, just that they are a legit option.

I currently have a bunch of boards built.  Trucks on them are ML, Thunder, Indy, Krux and Royal.  If I had to choose one setup to skate everywhere I would go with an 8.25 board with 8.38 ML trucks.

ultrabra

« Reply #3564 on: May 02, 2018, 11:04:43 AM »
I'm not saying that MLs are the best everywhere and what everyone should be on, just that they are a legit option.

I currently have a bunch of boards built.  Trucks on them are ML, Thunder, Indy, Krux and Royal.  If I had to choose one setup to skate everywhere I would go with an 8.25 board with 8.38 ML trucks.

Yeah you are right. It`s good on everything. But not nessesary great on anything/something spesific.

If i only skated mannys and flippy stuff. I`d skate venture 5,2 lows. Royal. Thunder....
For transition maybe Indy.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #3565 on: May 02, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
Aren't Mini Logos super low? Like you absolutely need risers if you want to ride bigger wheels low?

backinaction

« Reply #3566 on: May 02, 2018, 07:32:38 PM »
Aren't Mini Logos super low? Like you absolutely need risers if you want to ride bigger wheels low?

Super low. Can run 8Ē with 52s and be ok, but riser for everything bigger

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3567 on: May 02, 2018, 07:54:00 PM »
This thread has gone off the rails.  I just looked on skate warehouse, Minilogo trucks are $2 cheaper than a pair of Ventures or Thunders.  Why on earth are these even considered options for you guys, unless your cheap Mom wouldn't spring for something else?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3568 on: May 02, 2018, 11:06:14 PM »
Because there's nothing left to consider.....that's why.....now go away....

Jollyoli

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3569 on: May 03, 2018, 04:12:36 AM »
I got a set of longboard trucks from a car boot sale complete, I think the long baseplate may interfere with my slappy nose slides but will the reverse kingpins hinder my grinds & will I still be able to kickflip or do I need to step of and underflip it with my hand?
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.