Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 796617 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3840 on: May 31, 2021, 02:49:10 PM »
Not to sound like a moron, but I’m thinking I’m not digging my wheels because the patch is so big. I’m looking at some Bones V5s or V2s. Would it be easier to keep speed and pop some shit with smaller/narrower wheels?
Wide wheels are better at keeping speed on rough surfaces. Pop is mostly gonna be effected by height and weight of the wheel. The streets near me are not particularly smooth so I need a wider contact patch but don't wanna monster truck it. 22mm is where I am not having to push a whole bunch all the time. I like Tablets because the patch is wide but the wheel is not. Here's a chart of the Bones line up with patches and widths to help with your madness:
https://bones.com/why/street-tech-formula/
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3841 on: May 31, 2021, 03:05:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Not to sound like a moron, but I’m thinking I’m not digging my wheels because the patch is so big. I’m looking at some Bones V5s or V2s. Would it be easier to keep speed and pop some shit with smaller/narrower wheels?
[close]
Wide wheels are better at keeping speed on rough surfaces. Pop is mostly gonna be effected by height and weight of the wheel. The streets near me are not particularly smooth so I need a wider contact patch but don't wanna monster truck it. 22mm is where I am not having to push a whole bunch all the time. I like Tablets because the patch is wide but the wheel is not. Here's a chart of the Bones line up with patches and widths to help with your madness:
https://bones.com/why/street-tech-formula/
You’re on my gnar list. Thank you. I was looking at the tablets as well. I have a lot of crust, but I also have a wider setup with some cruisers on. Was thinking about something for my local-ish park. I currently have some Slimeball Vomit Minis but they’re so chunky. They’re kind of in the Jack of all trades, master of none category.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3842 on: June 01, 2021, 06:12:32 AM »
@Buttfart Rapedick i sold @Sundaynuggets my 54mm VEE 95a NFG wheels and he's been sliding on them a bunch, he says. Maybe he can chime in some more on that - and compared to 97a I think he's rode too.

Did find TOO MUCH of a benefit with the 95a over 97a from my limited usage and small selection of spots/pavement.
Sorry, just saw this!

The 95a NFG slide fine for power slides and stuff like that. They also slide well enough on ledges but stick a little if you hit the ledge weird, but are mostly fine. They do take some of the rattle off of crust, which is nice, and are noticeably easier to skate for distance (I skate for miles around the city) than NFG’s harder formula (which I also like a lot).

They feel slightly softer than the F4, 97a but the F4 break into slides easier, especially the classic shape. The F4 comical full feels fairly similar, slide wise, to the NFG 95 but maybe just a hair grippier.

Anyway, I’m pretty psyched about having some options for wheels that slide reasonably well but are also a little softer than the normal 99/101’s. I definitely want to try the NFG 95a formula in their teardrop shape, to see how that slides, since the F4 classic seems to slide better than the comical full for me. Curious if the same will hold true for the teardrop vs Vee shape

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3843 on: June 01, 2021, 08:29:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I switched back to skinny contact patch after riding conical fulls. the big contact patch never really worked for me. I tried V3 slims which were cool and then back to classic shape F4. it might just be weight though, the conical fulls were fully 140g heavier in 52 than the classics and the bones were even lighter
I think weight is a part of it. Right now I have Venture 5.8s on a fairly flat 8.5” board and I’m having issues popping good, especially at speed. The more I type the less it seems like the wheels though.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3844 on: June 02, 2021, 03:59:21 PM »
anyone ride bones SPF? either 81b or 84b

wondering how they would compare to F4/101 in a brand new smooth cement park

I have two sets of SPF 84b in the 56mm P5 shape, both new and worn down to 55mm.  I also have 54mm F4 101 conical and previously had 55mm lock-ins.  I skate a super smooth park that is about 3 years old.

SPF are faster.  Hands down the fastest wheel I have used. Stick some ceramic or Bones Swiss in them and go.  BUT.... they are a bit less grippy.  I took them off my setups for winter because I didn't want to be skating them when the temps were in the 30s.  I put them back on a couple weeks ago and the first session I had a number of big pumps that had my back wheels get squirrly.  I had one bail because of it, but within a few sessions I'm back to full speed and confidence.   I really do love these. Probably doesn't need to be said, but these are absolute garbage outside the park.  Just don't. 

F4 101 are a better all around wheel.  They are 97-98% as fast, have better grip and can be skated outside the park.

Does that last 2-3% speed matter?  It's nice. I like it. I feel marginally less tired on longer runs. 

Both are great wheels and I have boards built up with both in my car most of the time.  These days I'm skating the SPF more, but if SPF didn't exist I could be quite happy with the F4 101. 

I also skate and like STF 83s, and I have but don't care for F4 99s at the smooth parks.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #3845 on: June 03, 2021, 08:24:37 AM »

Backinaction summed it up pretty well.

I have had several sets of both the SPF 84b and 81b (always p5 sidecut shape) and recently got my first pair of F4s.

Nothing is faster than the 84b on smooth surfaces. The last pair I had seemed grippier than previous sets, but I’ve still slipped out and eaten shit plenty of times. I don’t like skating brand new parks with them, but once the park is a few months old and the initial slickness is gone they are hard to beat. Another complaint that a lot of people have is that they feel like plastic. It feels like riding a board from Walmart.

The 81b is my preferred SPF. They are almost as fast as the 84b, but the increased grip and less plasticy feel make them more enjoyable to skate. They are much better on brand new slick concrete too.

I’m currently riding Formula 4 OG classics 58mm 99 duro. They are right there with the 81b SPF in terms of speed. Compared to the 81b I find they are a little less grippy on smooth concrete and a little more grippy on the dusty skatelite ramp that I ride. I also really like that they don’t feel like plastic. I don’t ride outside of the park much, but the F4s are actually usable outside the park.

I personally prefer the Spitfires, but for a brand new concrete park either the 99 duro F4 or 81b SPF would be great. I can’t speak on the 101 duro F4s because I haven’t had a pair yet. I’d say in a few months when the park doesn’t have the glossy shine to it anymore, give the 84b a go and have fun hauling ass.

bombsaway86

« Reply #3846 on: June 03, 2021, 12:26:39 PM »
thanks for the info on the SPF. I have f4/99 right now and they seem a bit sluggish in the new park near me. but they are also small and probably worn down to sub 50mm at this point. I am focusing on only skating this new park for the summer so I wanted to optimize this next set of wheels.

one other question... how is SPF on skatelite?

You’ll want at least 54mm wheels you’re skating transition at the new park. SPF is good on skatelite providing it’s clean. If it’s not clean it’s like skating on ice. The F4s do a lot better on dirty skatelite

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #3847 on: June 03, 2021, 12:42:38 PM »

I have the Bones SPD 84b wheels, 56mm, and I'll echo the other commenters here - absolute fastest wheel you can skate in a smooth skatepark. I had a different experience with grip, where I felt that they gripped better in the bowl than my "all around" wheels ever did.

Anyway, I don't skate them much, because I don't go to parks very often, but if I lived down in SoCal where every park has glass-smooth surface, I'd be on those wheels every day. They're markedly better than anything else in the category.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bombsaway86

« Reply #3848 on: June 04, 2021, 10:41:21 PM »
thanks for the info about bones. sort of related, maybe...

do different wheel brands perform better in hot conditions? like 95F+  like bones vs. spitfire vs. other brand

or are they all about the same, and its more a matter of duro?

I am assuming softer wheels get softer and slower... but I guess I dont know how much "worse" it gets? or if a really hard wheel also softens up enough to notice

I might be stuck in AZ for a month in the summer, and where im at now is having a heat wave as well

SPF isn’t affected by heat. F4 I barely notice a difference. All other wheels I have skated, yes.

Durometer is definitely the determining factor, which is why SPFs are unaffected by heat. Haven’t tried the F4 101s but I would think the heat probably doesn’t have much effect based on how little the 99s are affected.

Bones also have some other voodoo magic going on too because the DTF wheels never got slower on really hot days and they were 95a

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #3849 on: June 05, 2021, 09:57:24 AM »
Expand Quote

A new contender has entered the ring?
Who is doing their thane⁇
[close]

I came to ask the same. They look really good!

Look ALOT like tablet f4

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3850 on: June 05, 2021, 12:31:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Look ALOT like tablet f4

They kinda look like they have a bit more of a radius than a tablet. Like a classic and a tablet had a baby. I’m very interested.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #3851 on: June 07, 2021, 08:08:46 AM »
https://landyachtz.com/collections/hawgs-wheels/products/chubby-hawgs-60mm

Friend gave me these off of his pre-bought landyachts sidewalk surfer thing
Threw them on my fat deck without risers and they are def harder than 78a but that could be the core. Not skatepark wheels by any means but been loving ripping around the neighborhood on them, would recommend for your cruiser if you want to be able to slide a lil bit while monster trucking crust
cant believe no wheel bite yet honestly but im sitting on these high ass Caliber brand trucks
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #3852 on: June 07, 2021, 08:20:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Look ALOT like tablet f4
[close]

They kinda look like they have a bit more of a radius than a tablet. Like a classic and a tablet had a baby. I’m very interested.
Yeah they look like a good wheel. The shape is a bit different than a tablet now that I'm looking at them better. I wouldn't mind trying some either.

scrub74

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3853 on: June 07, 2021, 01:14:11 PM »
I just got these 54mm conicals to try out.  I usually ride 54 F4 classics in 99 (have the 97s on my slappy board and they rule) but wanted to try a slightly different wheel. Of course, it has rained every day since I got them.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3854 on: June 07, 2021, 01:57:42 PM »
ok I have one last bones question. sorry for deleting my other posts I was kind of in a bad state that day

my local shop has these Bones Fatties 99 on close out. in 54 and 56. I am going to go on a road trip next week where I hit up a bunch of Evergreen parks in CO and MT.

I am thinking of these wheels on an AntiHero Beach bum board as a weird surfy park cruiser. I have never ridden that kind of park. I also dont know anything about these wheels, I must have missed when they came out. do you think that will work well for that situation ?  I will have a normal set up as well.

Yep.  The 99s aren't as fast as the 103s or F4 101s, but are right there (or a bit faster) than the 99 F4s.   Our Evergreen park is about 3 years old and was super slick when it first went in.  The extra grip of the 99s may be helpful.

Evergreen parks are flowy and lots of launch transfers, so I like at least an 8.5, but often skate a 9.25 in them.  The flow of the park and absurd lack of coping often means that they become collision-fest once they get busy.  Go on off hours or plan on running over some kids.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3855 on: June 07, 2021, 07:38:16 PM »
ok I have one last bones question. sorry for deleting my other posts I was kind of in a bad state that day

my local shop has these Bones Fatties 99 on close out. in 54 and 56. I am going to go on a road trip next week where I hit up a bunch of Evergreen parks in CO and MT.

I am thinking of these wheels on an AntiHero Beach bum board as a weird surfy park cruiser. I have never ridden that kind of park. I also dont know anything about these wheels, I must have missed when they came out. do you think that will work well for that situation ?  I will have a normal set up as well.

Reading over your older posts, the Fatties as much as they are a wide wheel have a very minimal contact patch, so hopefully more what you would like, very much like the classic full Spitfire shape but with the classic contact patch.

I bought a set here in AU as they were on sale as well, really good looking wheels for people who like the big round shape, but yet to put them on a board or anything, but I do have some of the other 99 duro in another shape I got second hand and they feel good for most surfaces.

I would be thinking the bigger the better too, but that is just me.  Either 54 or 56 would be great when new, both being 37mm wide.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3856 on: June 08, 2021, 03:49:28 PM »
Anyone ever use Satori Vintage/Big Link/Mandala wheels? I can get a set for like $20 and I'm interested.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3857 on: June 08, 2021, 04:05:16 PM »
Anyone ever use Satori Vintage/Big Link/Mandala wheels? I can get a set for like $20 and I'm interested.
If they are the new ones that came out when Satori came back they should be decent. Poured by Creative

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3858 on: June 08, 2021, 04:22:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If they are the new ones that came out when Satori came back they should be decent. Poured by Creative

Poured by Creative tells me all I need to know lol. Thank you.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3859 on: June 08, 2021, 05:19:05 PM »
I just got these 54mm conicals to try out.  I usually ride 54 F4 classics in 99 (have the 97s on my slappy board and they rule) but wanted to try a slightly different wheel. Of course, it has rained every day since I got them.

Gnar going your way, I feel you brother
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3860 on: June 13, 2021, 04:55:29 PM »
Anyone ever leave a little play in their wheels? Like, don't tighten the but all the way so the wheels/bearings have like 1-2mm off wiggle.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #3861 on: June 13, 2021, 06:01:09 PM »
Anyone ever leave a little play in their wheels? Like, don't tighten the but all the way so the wheels/bearings have like 1-2mm off wiggle.

I’ve done this for my entire skate life for no real reason and at this point I don’t know if I’m helping or hurting myself

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
« Reply #3862 on: June 13, 2021, 06:10:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve done this for my entire skate life for no real reason and at this point I don’t know if I’m helping or hurting myself

Makes the board less dead on the drop. There is a good point. The board sound is less poppy when the wheels have no play.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3863 on: June 13, 2021, 06:58:37 PM »

Absolutely 100%

The number of times people have asked why their board is so slow and it is because they tighten things up too much, even with spacers, the bearings spin much more freely with a bit of play.

As said, it also makes the board sound more normal too, and by normal I don't mean shieldless messed up bearings screaming, more just sounds a bit more crisp overall, and makes my Spitfires bark when I slide too.

* I always ride with shields on and for the most part fairly silent bearings.

Each to their own though, as I know one guy who cannot stand any noise coming from his setup and that includes tightening things down almost too far, but that is his choice.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3864 on: June 13, 2021, 07:17:20 PM »
I think most people tighten it down, then back,it off 1/16th of a turn......

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3865 on: June 13, 2021, 08:30:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As said, it also makes the board sound more normal too

Exactly. It just sounds right.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #3866 on: June 14, 2021, 09:43:18 AM »
I put one extra speed ring in the inside and then screw the nut on flush, so I keep the axle protected and still have some wiggle room so the bearings can spin freely. I've done this since I was a kid and messed my axle up and didn't know about rethreaders.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3867 on: June 14, 2021, 09:51:57 AM »
I've started to go 3 washers on the inside 1 on the outside. The wheels I was riding were starting to get pretty skinny and more truck room without riding a bigger truck is always nice.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3868 on: June 14, 2021, 02:58:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same here.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3869 on: June 15, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »

high west energy

Got some defect Bones 100s V5 on eBay to try the shape cheap. The only defect is one of the wheels is a different cut on the inside wall. So far I dig em. Getting much more pop them my other wheels.