Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 20479 times)

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #330 on: January 24, 2023, 05:31:32 PM »
My whole life,  I wanted a Stratocaster . After Nashville , Team Telecaster 4 Life

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #331 on: January 24, 2023, 05:38:34 PM »
I've always felt like this.

What do pals think?
So I watched this last night . Good watch , I believe

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #332 on: January 25, 2023, 08:22:50 AM »
http:/youtu.be/M1F5_UzwiY4

This'll getcha hyped to shred.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #333 on: January 25, 2023, 08:44:12 AM »
My whole life,  I wanted a Stratocaster . After Nashville , Team Telecaster 4 Life

I always wanted a Telecaster, but then I bought a nice old Squire Standard Strat and it's actually gorgeous and fits beautifully against my body. And then I play it through this basic little tube amp I have and I understand why it's the most popular electric guitar. I'll still eventually track down a Tele, though.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #334 on: January 31, 2023, 02:08:26 AM »
I hope it's ok to post this?

since it's a bass.

I'm a huge Musicman Stingray fan and I own two of them.

But I also love how the EGC acrylc instruments look. Unfortunately those are VERY expensive so I decided to build my own Musicman Acrylic bass, well a friend is building it.

I wanted an "iced out" look for it. So we matted the whole thing so it looks like a frozen ghost.

- Block Acrylic was bought from a lab for a cheap price
- The neck is pure graphite and an official replacement neck for musicman by status > bought that second hand and got it refurbished with a musicman logo
-  I got the official musicman bride on eBay but this small one didn't feel right. These are the new bridges and I wanted a solid old one. Thes are IMPOSSIBLE to find but one of a sudden one guy sent me one for free (this still has to be installed).
- The humbucker was also brandnew, and I also got that for free.

Here it is!!! almost done (bridge still has to be replaced with the bigger one)

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #335 on: January 31, 2023, 07:11:41 AM »
that is super sick, i've been eyeing a sting ray myself but for now my next bass will be a fretless ibanez ehb1005

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: January 31, 2023, 08:22:03 AM »
That's super cool. Nicely done! My friend used to have a Dan Armstrong acrylic guitar and it was actually a beautiful instrument. Obviously "tone wood" doesn't really matter much where solid body electrics are involved.

I've been practicing and playing daily for the last several months, usually at least an hour or so, and this morning I sliced my left index finger open making breakfast. Now I am sitting here with a guitar in my lap trying to make a chord with a bandage on my finger and frankly it sucks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 08:30:02 AM by manysnakes »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #337 on: January 31, 2023, 02:35:38 PM »
@DISTANT RUMOURS

whoah, that is so sick, holy fuck!

Banned from the room

« Reply #338 on: January 31, 2023, 11:00:09 PM »
Those riffs are sick.

This is one of the ones I'm working on but my main band said no but that usually means bring it again later and we won't recognize it.

Banned from the room

« Reply #339 on: January 31, 2023, 11:00:59 PM »
I hope it's ok to post this?

since it's a bass.

I'm a huge Musicman Stingray fan and I own two of them.

But I also love how the EGC acrylc instruments look. Unfortunately those are VERY expensive so I decided to build my own Musicman Acrylic bass, well a friend is building it.

I wanted an "iced out" look for it. So we matted the whole thing so it looks like a frozen ghost.

- Block Acrylic was bought from a lab for a cheap price
- The neck is pure graphite and an official replacement neck for musicman by status > bought that second hand and got it refurbished with a musicman logo
-  I got the official musicman bride on eBay but this small one didn't feel right. These are the new bridges and I wanted a solid old one. Thes are IMPOSSIBLE to find but one of a sudden one guy sent me one for free (this still has to be installed).
- The humbucker was also brandnew, and I also got that for free.

Here it is!!! almost done (bridge still has to be replaced with the bigger one)

!!!!

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #340 on: February 03, 2023, 06:27:38 AM »
What pick thickness are you guys rocking?  Since I mostly play acoustic at a lower volume, I’ve found thinner is better.  Bought some .38 Cat’s Tongue picks and I like them, but it seems actual decent guitarists never touch anything under .75.  Is it really detrimental to go really thin with them, or is it all personal preference?  I just find I can play a little more aggressively and get a “fuller” sound with the .38 than I can with thicker ones.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: February 03, 2023, 08:09:17 AM »
What pick thickness are you guys rocking?  Since I mostly play acoustic at a lower volume, I’ve found thinner is better.  Bought some .38 Cat’s Tongue picks and I like them, but it seems actual decent guitarists never touch anything under .75.  Is it really detrimental to go really thin with them, or is it all personal preference?  I just find I can play a little more aggressively and get a “fuller” sound with the .38 than I can with thicker ones.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I bought a pack of .73 nylon Dunlop picks which I was enjoying for the first two months of my playing. Then I dug up some hard plastic picks of unknown thickness and found that I feel like I have more control when picking and not strumming.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #342 on: February 03, 2023, 08:38:29 AM »
It’s completely personal preference but I do agree that different picks feel better depending on string gauge, scale length, and whether primarily strumming or picking.

I used to be really happy with Medium Fender “Premium” Celluloid picks because they were slightly stiffer than the regular celluloid picks but the last ones I bought were just like the ordinary ones.

Have since tried Dunlop medium celluloid (too floppy), Tortex Green (too stiff), and Tortex Yellow (still a hair too stiff and all the picks had a slight bend). Still haven’t found a new steady.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1971
« Reply #343 on: February 03, 2023, 08:43:15 AM »
I always use yellow Tortex for guitar and orange Tortex for bass, which might sound backwards for some people but it works out well for me.

Banned from the room

« Reply #344 on: February 03, 2023, 08:55:38 AM »
im having trouble picking up my picks. i play Clayton .63-1.0 mm triangles. guitar center hasnt had them or any other triangles for months.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: February 03, 2023, 03:42:08 PM »
same as flea here with the thickness! i like triangles too sometimes, but mostly get normal shaped picks. i like the grey and orange dunlop ones a lot. tortex sound kinda sick, but don't feel that good to me. sometimes when i feel super funky i use those little red jazzpicks, but i only have them in too thick for me i think.

the go-to is something like 0.7 gator grip or something like that.

i tried playing with copper coins in silly attempts to sound like steve albini. probably should shave them off so they work better. i didn't enjoy it.

Banned from the room

« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2023, 03:38:06 PM »

100 today 100 next first of the month!!! 71 Et-280. The thing sounds amazing

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: February 04, 2023, 05:33:16 PM »
very nice!

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2023, 11:38:06 AM »
That acrylic bass is wicked. Very nice.

I play the purple turtle picks. 1.14mm I think. Started with the yellow ones, then gradually got thicker.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 782
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #349 on: February 06, 2023, 09:37:12 PM »
Need some help. I have an epiphone Les Paul jr, inexpensive guitar.

Fretboard peeled away from the neck during the heatwave over the summer here in CA. The peeling is about an inch or so long and is around like the 3-5 fret if I recall correctly

Is it as simple as applying adhesive to a sliver of metal cut from a soda can to dab some glue between the neck and fretboard then use a C clamp to keep it tight while it dries?

My question is what adhesive would anyone recommend from their experience

nothing's been the since same

Pudd

• Rep: 4
« Reply #350 on: February 06, 2023, 09:46:30 PM »
I'm a huge proponent of the Jazz III picks, the Eric Johnson signature ones are my favorites and the Primetones being a close second. Takes a bit getting used to after playing with bigger bendier picks for a bit but I really like the amount of control they give you. I play on 10 gauge strings if that matters at all

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #351 on: February 07, 2023, 07:29:27 AM »
Need some help. I have an epiphone Les Paul jr, inexpensive guitar.

Fretboard peeled away from the neck during the heatwave over the summer here in CA. The peeling is about an inch or so long and is around like the 3-5 fret if I recall correctly

Is it as simple as applying adhesive to a sliver of metal cut from a soda can to dab some glue between the neck and fretboard then use a C clamp to keep it tight while it dries?

My question is what adhesive would anyone recommend from their experience

Probably Titebond wood glue but I’d ask over at r/luthier on Reddit.

boston_bruins

« Reply #352 on: February 07, 2023, 09:59:33 PM »
Red tortex. Perfect balance between thin enough to strum and thick enough to wail leads. I played this dudes Dan Armstrong once, it was really heavy. Don’t obsess over pedals, pedals are stupid, just practice the guitar and get good. Don’t buy too many guitars. Just get a really good one, or three, and get really into them and play them for your whole life

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #353 on: February 07, 2023, 11:16:16 PM »
I used Tortex picks a lot. Really liked them. They could take a good thrashing. I got hooked on these and couldn't ever really go back. It might seem a bit much, but I just love these things.

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #354 on: February 07, 2023, 11:21:08 PM »
Don’t obsess over pedals, pedals are stupid, just practice the guitar and get good.
This is blasphemy. How dare you, sir.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #355 on: February 09, 2023, 09:15:08 AM »
Red tortex. Perfect balance between thin enough to strum and thick enough to wail leads. I played this dudes Dan Armstrong once, it was really heavy. Don’t obsess over pedals, pedals are stupid, just practice the guitar and get good. Don’t buy too many guitars. Just get a really good one, or three, and get really into them and play them for your whole life

I'm a yellow tortex guy but I have been playing red and green recently. Yellow is the perfect balance for me, but I do think tortex picks are the best.

Banned from the room

« Reply #356 on: February 09, 2023, 09:18:04 AM »
I definitely obsess over eq and gain.

I feel like because I found tone pretty much immediately that it was more fun to learn. I mean I'm not playing acoustic or anything unless I'm on a skateboard trying to write around town or whatever.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #357 on: February 09, 2023, 09:46:17 AM »
Picked up a few random picks yesterday to try out.  Including a purple Tortex which I think is 1.14, a Big Stubby 1.0, and a Jazz III which is so tiny I have no idea how anyone plays them.  I am slowly starting to appreciate the feel and sound of thicker picks though.  I’m guessing that once you get good enough you can play with anything, but for noobs like me it can be a struggle.  Like the Tortexs are nice but not grippy, which I imagine is only an issue if you’re inexperienced.

Picked up some fresh strings for both my acoustic and electric as well, but want to switch them all out at once so will probably wait until I snap one or get bored.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #358 on: February 17, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »
had a bit of an "aha!" moment last night playing with a heavier pick. This may seem kind of like a no-brainer, but since I don't really play with heavy picks I realized that you can use a lot less pressure in holding the pick, and you can let the pick do the work.

I realized this playing with the green Tortex which is a .88mm. I've found the perfect sweet spot in the orange Tortex .60mm.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: February 17, 2023, 11:11:56 AM »
I just had the same revelation with picks as you guys had. The most I’ve been practicing and the more comfortable I am holding the pick, the more I realized that I would benefit from a heavier and heavier pick. I started with .63 nylon, because that’s what I had. Then I got some .73 nylons because that’s what the guitar store had. Then I got a big gross of picks and suddenly I find that I can control my playing much better with 1.0.

Now I’m gonna go and buy a 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 stubby and see if I can find my way around one of those.

One thing I’ve come to realize is that different picks do different things, and one might now use the same pick for strumming as you would for something which involves more picking. Hence it’s handy to have a number of options at your disposal.