Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364396 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2460 on: February 23, 2022, 02:28:02 PM »
Just got my first pair of venture standards (on a sweet sale) and noticed the kingpins are 2 different colors, ones polished while the other is black. I can’t tell if my brain is fucking with me but one seems maybe a hair taller than the other, and it could be because one is a little cranked down while the other isn’t. Just wondering if anyone else is has that happen.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like Thunder is setting the kingpin deeper into the baseplate now. Should allow to get them a little bit looser.

[close]

I saw a newer set of Ventures that are like that too. I think it's just a shorter kingpin because the hanger clearance up top looks about the same as the old ones. Maybe that recessed bit on the baseplate is designed to fit a sleeve (like on the Mindys) if they ever release that inverted kingpin version.
[close]

I dm’d and got this response pretty quickly. DLX is awesome.

Peepeeboy69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #2461 on: February 23, 2022, 02:41:49 PM »
2nd session on venture 5.2L and this truck is just both ends of the barrel for me.

Pop feel feels so good, but they don't turn at all! I'll pop a crispy flip trick and then instantly run off my board pushing right after! Just going from A to B takes like 3x the effort cause I have to stay still like a statue and I gotta tictac around every corner. I had a set of 5.0H that I skated literally once and then gave away bc i would go into like primo stall just turning. GAH!

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #2462 on: February 23, 2022, 02:45:01 PM »
Expand Quote
I was considering getting a set of Venture 5.8s or 6.1s (standards) since I've been seeing them on sale lately. I normally run my trucks medium loose (carvy enough for slappies, nowhere near jiggly loose though). What are the biggest wheels y'all have run on these. I'm not opposed to using 1/8" risers btw

[close]

So I set the used 6.1 standard Ventures up with no risers and skated them exactly as they were on the Dane 1 deck, fairly loose and easy to carve and turn, especially with smaller wheels, minimal wheelbite on 52 mm wheels, then was still easy enough on the 54 mm but I knew where I could lean to without having issues and pushed it as far as that easily enough again.

The 56 mm wheels were a little harder to turn as much and I could feel the wheel touching the deck without getting thrown off, but I was ready for it too.

The 58 mm wheels were the last ones and I left them on the board, so again a bit more used to the deck and trucks now, couldn't push into turns quite as much and had to be a bit more careful on landings (only small stuff) but still no wheelbite or issues from that sort of thing.  The reason I had left the 58 mm wheels on is I was planning to put on 1/8" risers just to see what that felt like but then got busy and ran out of time before pack up time for the night.

I would say they could easily skate well on the risers with that size wheel - 58 mm Conical Full and have about the same amount of turn and clearance as my usual Indy standards with my usual 56 mm wheels with no risers and I can turn very deeply on them.

I also had 60 mm wheels there ready to try if I had enough time, but also brought them all with me so can test them out in the next day or so too, just to really give them a good go, but I think I will change the trucks over to something more like an 8.8 more general shaped board or even a popsicle with a more normal wheelbase for my liking (about 14.5 is my go to and the Dane 1 is only just a touch more than 14 so it is very short) and see how they feel.

Damn thanks so much for running that test! Much appreciated!

spicysk8rboi

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2463 on: February 23, 2022, 03:12:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Just got my first pair of venture standards (on a sweet sale) and noticed the kingpins are 2 different colors, ones polished while the other is black. I can’t tell if my brain is fucking with me but one seems maybe a hair taller than the other, and it could be because one is a little cranked down while the other isn’t. Just wondering if anyone else is has that happen.
[close]
It shouldn't affect performance at all so you should be fine (as long as they are both from Deluxe, and you didn't get a mismatch truck from Street Corner era). It's most likely related to supply issues as mentioned in the Thunder thread (page 6), skaters saw that the kingpin is set deeper in new Thunder batches and Deluxe replied that they needed to use a different kingpin to keep production going. Might be the same case for the different color kingpins for Ventures.

Welcome to the Venture gang! the only truck that matters

Idk how to tell if it’s DLX or not but I’m tired of gear madness and want to skate these  until they break, so don’t tell me how to check if there’s a way to tell lol.
I can’t wait to skate them as soon as I heal, love the way they sound when grinding

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2464 on: February 23, 2022, 08:16:33 PM »
Expand Quote
The weather is nice and I’m going to set up a board and break out my beloved venture 5.6 hollows and my loopholes.

I believe that I’ll be free to skate after 4 pm
[close]
Honestly one of the best feelings: when you’re at work and the weather outside is nice and you know it’s gonna be nice for the rest of the day so you’ll be able to skate when you’re off. Makes the work day a bit more bearable knowing a sesh is coming afterwards.

Hell yeah. I got tied up but it was worth it.

When I got home I got out the venture set up with the f4 58’s on it and just went to the furthest store I know. All fresh black top almost. It was liberating af.

Venture cast 5.6 is one hundred the best loose truck set up to me. Stability but I can carve like woah this feels so good still. I have a nice flat k shape on those trucks with wooden risers.

It’s just like heaven.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2465 on: February 23, 2022, 08:18:09 PM »
I’m kinda wound up to read rn.

Did anyone see ben’s video about truck wb? That one I think is a must see for anyone who’s about mad board thought.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2466 on: February 27, 2022, 05:28:12 PM »
Back on Venture 5.6 Ti after a 2 months on Royal IKP to lighten things up a bit. Nothing fancy, stock purple bushings (the best IMO) and forged baseplates.

Turning - not worse, just different, less surfy and a lot of lean before the turn, not a dealbreaker for me
Slide - better than Royal with the protruding baseplate, could really feel it working against the ledge for added control
Grind - Ventures are the king here, so stable when locked in and I could hold the grind with a pop out, hardness feel the same as Royals

Royals will be my replacement for Thunder, but Ventures are in a league of their own.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #2467 on: March 04, 2022, 06:51:16 AM »
Yes, i used the search function in this thread but "height" did not yield the results i was looking for. Can someone tell me the height of 5.6 highs on cast plates and on forged plates. Tactics seems inaccurate

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #2468 on: March 04, 2022, 07:02:51 AM »
Yes, i used the search function in this thread but "height" did not yield the results i was looking for. Can someone tell me the height of 5.6 highs on cast plates and on forged plates. Tactics seems inaccurate
Expand Quote
Anyone know offhand how high the 5.6 and 5.2 his are?
[close]

The V-lights/hollow/titanium are 52mm. They have a thinner forged baseplate.

going by this, 53mm cast and 52mm forged. what did tactics have?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2469 on: March 04, 2022, 07:03:48 AM »
Back on Venture 5.6 Ti after a 2 months on Royal IKP to lighten things up a bit. Nothing fancy, stock purple bushings (the best IMO) and forged baseplates.

Turning - not worse, just different, less surfy and a lot of lean before the turn, not a dealbreaker for me
Slide - better than Royal with the protruding baseplate, could really feel it working against the ledge for added control
Grind - Ventures are the king here, so stable when locked in and I could hold the grind with a pop out, hardness feel the same as Royals

Royals will be my replacement for Thunder, but Ventures are in a league of their own.

Ventures…I’m always coming back. I like the purples. The maroons take the longest to break in, for me, but then last the longest.

IpathCats

« Reply #2470 on: March 04, 2022, 07:12:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

53.5 on the cast, and 61.7 on the forged lol
https://www.tactics.com/venture/polished-skateboard-trucks/polished-52-hi

https://www.tactics.com/venture/awake-horizon-v-lights-skateboard-trucks/polished-52-hi

Obviously an error, but the regular vlights are still listed as 53.5

https://www.tactics.com/venture/v-lights-skateboard-trucks/all-polished-56-hi

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2471 on: March 04, 2022, 08:06:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ventures…I’m always coming back. I like the purples. The maroons take the longest to break in, for me, but then last the longest.

Purple > Red bushings all day.

I live in the tropics and would rarely to wear a hoodie, but I would really like a yellow Venture hoodie.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2472 on: March 04, 2022, 09:57:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

53.5 on the cast, and 61.7 on the forged lol
https://www.tactics.com/venture/polished-skateboard-trucks/polished-52-hi

https://www.tactics.com/venture/awake-horizon-v-lights-skateboard-trucks/polished-52-hi

Obviously an error, but the regular vlights are still listed as 53.5

https://www.tactics.com/venture/v-lights-skateboard-trucks/all-polished-56-hi

wow lmao, glad we cleared that up.

i didn't come across anyone saying those numbers were innacurate (the ones i quoted not tactics), but if anyone feels like confirming just so we have it in a post regarding venture truck height that would be dope

fakie varial flip

« Reply #2473 on: March 06, 2022, 11:47:01 AM »
Had my first session on a pair of 5.8 his... coming from ace 44s, these things actually feel fantastic? I do certainly feel more resistance to carving but these feel pretty comfortable and they have an amazing lock-in (on rails even)...

I was skating a pair of indy mids just prior to this and hated them so went back to ace. I loved my ace 44s, hated indy 149s, and now love these 5.8s. I don't understand how that's possible, but it felt like the indys had absolutely no pop and for the first time in my life I got near constant wheelbite, so couldn't carve for shit. These 5.8s have huge pop, carve nicely, and feel amazing.

If I need them just slightly more carvy, do I remove the bottom washer? I don't need them to rattle, I just want to try them in a bigger concrete park and see how long 5050s on coping feel. I'm only skating street while the parks are still closed but am wondering for the future if I can make these work on transition since they feel so good otherwise

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2474 on: March 06, 2022, 12:00:44 PM »
Had my first session on a pair of 5.8 his... coming from ace 44s, these things actually feel fantastic? I do certainly feel more resistance to carving but these feel pretty comfortable and they have an amazing lock-in (on rails even)...

I was skating a pair of indy mids just prior to this and hated them so went back to ace. I loved my ace 44s, hated indy 149s, and now love these 5.8s. I don't understand how that's possible, but it felt like the indys had absolutely no pop and for the first time in my life I got near constant wheelbite, so couldn't carve for shit. These 5.8s have huge pop, carve nicely, and feel amazing.

If I need them just slightly more carvy, do I remove the bottom washer? I don't need them to rattle, I just want to try them in a bigger concrete park and see how long 5050s on coping feel. I'm only skating street while the parks are still closed but am wondering for the future if I can make these work on transition since they feel so good otherwise
flat top washers. also can recommend ace low bushings
did some qp skating last week and they are the tits
i dont skate pools but i wouldnt switch trucks to do so
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #2475 on: March 06, 2022, 12:01:18 PM »

Bones bushings.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #2476 on: March 06, 2022, 12:16:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
flat top washers. also can recommend ace low bushings
did some qp skating last week and they are the tits
i dont skate pools but i wouldnt switch trucks to do so

Fantastic! Is there a specific washer I should grab (minilogo, etc) or:
Expand Quote

[close]
Bones bushings.

Maybe should I just grab a set of these and use the flat washer?

Thanks for all the help!! Never going back to indy again after the session I had today

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #2477 on: March 06, 2022, 02:50:32 PM »
I run bones and riptide pivot cups in 5.6’s and they work well for me.  The cheap fix as you said is just put in a flat top washer.  The truck has some smooth consistent lean which works well in most situations.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #2478 on: March 06, 2022, 07:07:47 PM »
I prefer the stock bushings over bones. Really nice once broken in. Just swap the top washer for a flat metal one. Get some riptide pivot cups too if you're feeling fancy.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2479 on: March 06, 2022, 08:37:15 PM »
I prefer the stock bushings over bones. Really nice once broken in. Just swap the top washer for a flat metal one. Get some riptide pivot cups too if you're feeling fancy.

Worn in purple (or red) ones are the best, the turn and pinch much better with the stability for flip tricks. No more mucking about with Ventures for me, stock bushings for life.

I find them more durable than the stock Thunder ones which I have seen crumble after very light use. Not from overtightened trucks or having a 200lbs rider on them either. Stange considering both are DLX brands and presumably using the same factory for bushings.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2480 on: March 06, 2022, 08:54:12 PM »
Hit axle again, took three months this time. Front truck and sw crook groove -.-
Axles very slightly bent, almost at pivot cup (which are very oval from slides).
Probably run em a bit more to get moneys worth until they start messing with my grinds.

Love ventures but they definitely do not last if you on the heavier side and skate rough ledges and curbs.

Would happily pay double if they made ventures out of whatever og indy metal is.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #2481 on: March 06, 2022, 09:34:02 PM »

Aha! I thought I read that before but was having trouble finding it again. Is there any specific flat washer that's better? Is this just a hardware store swap or should I grab the bones bushings and just use the washer?

I was also hoping to not part with the purple bushings because they feel perfect with regard to rebound, whereas my indys felt dead

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2482 on: March 06, 2022, 10:54:05 PM »
I just used the ones that come with bones bushings. Keep the purps theyre great

fakie varial flip

« Reply #2483 on: March 07, 2022, 06:02:45 AM »
I just used the ones that come with bones bushings. Keep the purps theyre great

Fuck yes thanks for the help. So hyped on these trucks

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2484 on: March 07, 2022, 07:31:04 AM »
Ishod skating ventures

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2485 on: March 07, 2022, 07:34:00 AM »
ventures in paris
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

IpathCats

« Reply #2486 on: March 07, 2022, 07:38:59 AM »
Ishod skating ventures

OH FUCK SOUND THE ALARM

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #2487 on: March 07, 2022, 09:05:41 AM »
Ishod skating ventures

Just think of them as European Thunders

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2488 on: March 07, 2022, 09:38:31 AM »
Big if true, I knew there was no way he could pinch as good as he did on Thunders. Someone go CSI Jamie Foy, I suspect he's rocking Ventures too.

Maybe it's a holiday thing, like how white people get braids when they go to Jamaica.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2489 on: March 07, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »
Big if true, I knew there was no way he could pinch as good as he did on Thunders. Someone go CSI Jamie Foy, I suspect he's rocking Ventures too.

Maybe it's a holiday thing, like how white people get braids when they go to Jamaica.

lol thought similarly -  "well he IS in france"