Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 363839 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3750 on: December 27, 2022, 03:41:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Best Venture 5.6 trucks? chose one of the list bellow:

VENTURE V-HOLLOW LIGHTS ALL POLISHED HIGH 5.6
VENTURE V-LIGHTS ALL POLISHED HIGH 5.6"
VENTURE ALL POLISHED HIGH 5.6
VENTURE TEAM THROW HIGH 5.6"
VENTURE V-CAST HOLLOW KADER PRO 5.6"
[close]
V-Cast

I'm going to vote the all polished high.
I wanted to like hollow trucks but from G&S to v lite this past year it's been negative.

Only kingpins should be hollow in my opinion.

Also I've found I prefer the 5.8 a little more than the 5.6
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3751 on: December 27, 2022, 06:52:02 PM »
didn't bug me a bit and coming from thunder, I wanted to keep things light and low, so V-hollow lights for me......

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3752 on: January 01, 2023, 10:54:28 AM »
Anyone know the weight of the 5.8 kader /Ted cast hollows ?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #3753 on: January 01, 2023, 03:15:14 PM »
Anyone know the weight of the 5.8 kader /Ted cast hollows ?

I used google like a real man. 345 g.

GT

• Rep: -14
« Reply #3754 on: January 03, 2023, 11:12:58 PM »
Has anyone had experience  changing the kingpin on cast baseplate for low trucks?
If so which kingpin have you used? I have a set of replacement hollows which supposedly are for venture...

I know venture now are makin hollow cast hi and maybe it's better to wait for then to make lo as well .

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3755 on: January 04, 2023, 12:18:15 AM »
Has anyone had experience  changing the kingpin on cast baseplate for low trucks?
If so which kingpin have you used? I have a set of replacement hollows which supposedly are for venture...

I know venture now are makin hollow cast hi and maybe it's better to wait for then to make lo as well .
afaik the low and the highs share the same kingpin
if you are doing an aftermarket kingpin, go krux or kreeper
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3756 on: January 04, 2023, 05:12:30 PM »
I know people have done it, but I had issues hitting out my cast thunder kb's......ultimately did it, but out of two sets, I got got one set to work....

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3757 on: January 04, 2023, 06:28:43 PM »

If there is nothing wrong with the kingpins on those baseplates but you want it lower, an angle grinder is better to take it down a little bit (or how ever much you need to really) than trying to remove a perfectly good kingpin and put in a shorter one.

Guess it depends on what tools you have at hand or how keen you are to try it, but I did it with a lot of trial and error, turned out very little error and works well, but I didn't go too hard on them and just did a bit at a time.

Hollow kingpins vs regular kingpins are a different thing though, but the weight saved is minimal for the effort of changing over perfectly good kingpins with the possibility of destroying a baseplate or not getting the new kingpin in successfully too.

Just one view of having to fix a lot of trucks over the years, some of which people brought in because they messed something up in the change over process.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

burner

• Rep: 94
« Reply #3758 on: January 04, 2023, 07:34:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If there is nothing wrong with the kingpins on those baseplates but you want it lower, an angle grinder is better to take it down a little bit (or how ever much you need to really) than trying to remove a perfectly good kingpin and put in a shorter one.

Guess it depends on what tools you have at hand or how keen you are to try it, but I did it with a lot of trial and error, turned out very little error and works well, but I didn't go too hard on them and just did a bit at a time.

Hollow kingpins vs regular kingpins are a different thing though, but the weight saved is minimal for the effort of changing over perfectly good kingpins with the possibility of destroying a baseplate or not getting the new kingpin in successfully too.

Just one view of having to fix a lot of trucks over the years, some of which people brought in because they messed something up in the change over process.

Underrated advice. Total headache to change and Totally not worth it for miniscule weight change. I don’t understand why the cast are so chunky in the middle when they used to have a decent hole and now it’s just a thin opening (Vintage casts were much lighter, these current are bricks!!). Venture should just tidy that up rather than this hollow kingpin casts, imo.

@Mbrimson88 probably has an old set of Venture feather lights, 6 hole venture plates, from the 90s, and the hollowed out plate holes on the sides and top are bigger and more weight saving than now (the current cast plates probably weight more than Indy standard plates…..maybe? Just guessing). That’s the biggest problem with cast venture for me, the weight. Thunders are still super light even in the cast, but Ventures are probably heavier than they were 20+yrs ago. And hollowed kingpin ain’t gonna fix that, it’s cool, but let’s be honest, it’s just a gimmick. Not hating though, definitely skate what you’re stoked on.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:09:30 PM by burner »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3759 on: January 04, 2023, 10:31:39 PM »
I agree with the grind down or just leave it....I meant to switch out my forged for cast and drop in a krux kingpin but never got around to it, the clearance is really good with Ventures and they take a while to grind down.  I'd be so pissed if I fucked it up.....If anything I'd recommend keeping an eye on friends who skate them and put dibs on a set when they wear down or find an old set on craigslist. 

GT

• Rep: -14
« Reply #3760 on: January 04, 2023, 11:15:40 PM »
Thank you all for the replies!!

I was just thinking of making a hollow KP for lo ventures. It is not a must at all. Might experiment with hollow axles on regular cast plate.

I do ha e a set of 6 hole ventures but the are 5.0 and I would like to try 5 2 lows on 7.75-8.2.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3761 on: January 04, 2023, 11:35:11 PM »
Thank you all for the replies!!

I was just thinking of making a hollow KP for lo ventures. It is not a must at all. Might experiment with hollow axles on regular cast plate.

I do ha e a set of 6 hole ventures but the are 5.0 and I would like to try 5 2 lows on 7.75-8.2.

Do they have the old hex (easily removable) kingpin or the new button head pushed in with a machine sort?

The old six hole baseplate Ventures I have were easy to switch out the kingpin, so you could just put in an inverted kingpin too and keep using those baseplates with other hangers if you wanted to - at least the different types I had were interchangeable between normal and low hangers, as the baseplates were all the same.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3762 on: January 06, 2023, 03:36:38 AM »
Any one that is curious. Ted barrow  5.8 casts hollows come around 356-357g. I would assume kaders are the same.

Real question to the venture homies. Thunder bushings usually mush out on me
So I usually put Indy 92a blues in. Should I just skip the venture mush and throw Indy blues in or will they not fit in venture? Or do stock venture bushings somehow work better than stock thunders?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 03:45:09 AM by Murge »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3763 on: January 06, 2023, 06:44:46 AM »
Or do stock venture bushings somehow work better than stock thunders?

I've had new Thunders that had their bushing crumble after 1 session. The stock ones on my Ventures are cracked in multiple places but are still holding up.

Stock gets my vote, they get better as they break in.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3764 on: January 06, 2023, 06:50:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Or do stock venture bushings somehow work better than stock thunders?
[close]

I've had new Thunders that had their bushing crumble after 1 session. The stock ones on my Ventures are cracked in multiple places but are still holding up.

Stock gets my vote, they get better as they break in.

Awesome. Thank you! Was hoping to skate after work but looks like it’s tomorrow morning now. I forgot my skate shoes at home. :(

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #3765 on: January 06, 2023, 01:29:41 PM »
Any one that is curious. Ted barrow  5.8 casts hollows come around 356-357g. I would assume kaders are the same.

So I usually put Indy 92a blues in. Should I just skip the venture mush and throw Indy blues in or will they not fit in venture? Or do stock venture bushings somehow work better than stock thunders?

The blues fit but just run the venture stocks. They'll mush eventually probably, but will be very good for a while. Plus those ones are green!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3766 on: January 07, 2023, 01:33:04 AM »

Indy bushings used to be the exact same size as Venture bushings. This is some years back. I doubt anything changed since then.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 09:27:43 AM by Roisto »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3767 on: January 07, 2023, 06:37:48 AM »
I got stuck to a curb the other day. I hadn't seen that since I was little and riding gullwing.
 I was skating the curb that I made at the Bewitched statue. (Plz come skate with me there if you come out pals) I ollied on and bang my board disappeared from underneath my feet. I looked back and my new dragon wheels was biting the curb.

Turns out that lots of curbs are exactly the same size as the 5.8. with the skinny wheel. My spits would not have locked on to both sides.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3768 on: January 07, 2023, 05:39:15 PM »
Got to skate the cast v hollows today and I think I may be a venture guy. Slides felt good. Grinded a little slower than an Indy but my Indy’s are pretty seasoned so that may be why.  Pinch better than an Indy. Turn felt fine to me. Skated some tranny on them at the diy and the extended wheelbase I think helped me have a more comfortable wider stance  on some of the tranny. Certain tricks felt better (impossible) my ankle is still kinda to fucked up to flick the board. But I threw one shitty kick flip. Only complaint is I’m ghost popping nollies like crazy and wasn’t on Indy cast. Which is weird cause somehow in my head the extension on wb on venture but lower and the height of an Indy shortening wb somehow even each other out so they should feel close. Idk. I’m also skating a hockey but Indy’s my nollies was nicely popped. But idc. I’m into them. Fingers crossed I found my truck.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 06:08:31 AM by Murge »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3769 on: January 07, 2023, 07:35:11 PM »
welcome to the club
venture cured my madness…once you settle in, you cant go back
you literally cant go looking for a venture in any other truck
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3770 on: January 07, 2023, 11:03:23 PM »
If ventures lengthen the wheelbase, do they not shorten the tail and nose? 

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #3771 on: January 07, 2023, 11:15:33 PM »
If ventures lengthen the wheelbase, do they not shorten the tail and nose?

yup..and the degree of angle also increase..

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #3772 on: January 09, 2023, 06:13:27 PM »
As far as Indy bushings in Ventures…I have a set of 5.8 Kaders and a set of 6.1s both with 94a Indy bushings (not conical) and they are money.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3773 on: January 09, 2023, 07:30:30 PM »
Following up:  30 years of skating ventures now on Thunder Ti 148. 

I’m actually stoked on the switch.  I’m surprised how light the set up is.  Sometimes it feels like I’m floating tricks.  I like it.   Took me two weeks to get used to them.  They grind really well.  The downside is still on slides. I ride 54mm dragons right now and they stick to the ledges.  Not hitting baseplate but wheels offset instead.  Have to get used to that.

At first the lightness did not helped. Missed a lot of tricks on the pop.  Turn is better IMHO
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #3774 on: January 09, 2023, 07:38:44 PM »
Just snagged a pair of 5.2 Hi Throws for my next set up.
I’m very curious to see how they feel after skating thunders for the past few years…

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3775 on: January 09, 2023, 08:24:14 PM »
venture x venue
available in 5.0-6.1

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3776 on: January 09, 2023, 09:17:13 PM »
Just snagged a pair of 5.2 Hi Throws for my next set up.
I’m very curious to see how they feel after skating thunders for the past few years…

I think you'll like them, no wheel bite, the pop will feel way different.  A bit more whiff, but a bit more power too...You can afford to skate a venture a lot looser which I liked. 

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3777 on: January 09, 2023, 09:23:59 PM »
To the ones using Indy bushings in ventures, the diameter is slightly bigger which causes the bushings to pop out of the yoke of the hanger. Also the indy bottom bushing is slightly taller than the stock venture so it makes the hanger sit slightly off.
The super Cush green 94a is a great option if you can find them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3778 on: January 09, 2023, 09:37:34 PM »
I don't weigh anything so I actually really liked conicals/bones.  Kinda hard to recommend them but they worked well for me......

MONS 56K

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3779 on: January 10, 2023, 11:38:08 PM »
Anybody redrill their baseplates?