Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 796921 times)

bombsaway86, boneless900, yourbreakfsat and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4590 on: February 07, 2022, 12:23:49 PM »

NFG 56mm Vee factory seconds. Measures consistently 55mm on all sides of each on low quality calipers. Shape compared to a 56mm Spit conical full. Makes ya wonder if other manufacturers melt down the duds to reuse or they go to a landfill.

I believe the spitfire 51mm lil smokies f4 tablets are cut from bigger wheels that ended up being duds

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4591 on: February 07, 2022, 01:54:17 PM »
Never tried wayward wheels before so I can't say anything about their harder wheels, but I got these for a cruiser and these are the absolute worst wheels I have ever tried. Even on rougher ground they're slower than any small hard wheels, they stick to the ground. You push and immediately feel it slowing down. Feels like your bearings are fucked.
0/10 do not recommend

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4592 on: February 07, 2022, 02:50:59 PM »
Anyone know any skinny/slim wheels similar to the bones v3 in a 50-51mm? Been using the v3 shape for years now, but they havent been making any 101-103a wheels the last year or so in 50mm Only 99a. The satori super slim wheels look similar, also interested in the crupie skinny wheels might be the same width, cant find any specs on them though for widths. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@jrb32 Do you want to stay with that 'classic' style shape it has (basically a skinny V1), rounded sidewall?

Satori is a good bet, very close, but I'd argue that the STF formula is better.

Check out Ricta (I know unpopular brand) but they have a slim natural and a super slim (nyguls wheel) that are great shapes.

Nigel's wheels is a fucking conical slim and I love the shape; I've ridden them off an on for a while with no flatspot issues at all. The 101As are fast and hard as fuck, like SPFs...99a from ricta are more on par with 99s from other brands tho,

Nyjahls super slim

Here's a link to an older post, shows the V2/Nighgel/V3 https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3384533#msg3384533

The Natural Slim is more of a V1 shape...but they have a variety of shapes based on size.
https://rictawheels.com/wheels#naturals

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 07:24:44 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4593 on: February 08, 2022, 04:15:51 AM »
I decided to get some of the spitfire 97a wheels.  I want to get 56mm, but I have no idea if they are too big.  I basically only skate street and want to know if 56mm may be too big.  I currently ride 53mm and think they are too small.

The sizes you might be looking at besides the Classic 53 are the Classic / Conical Full 54 or Classic 56 so if you wanted something that is a bit more of a get it right now, the 54 mm would probably be best, but if you can deal with a little bit bigger, which will last longer but might be a bit funny at first, then 56 mm is the size to get.

They come out in Classic and Conical Full, so for some the Classic 56 or the Conical Full 54 are going to be more of interest.  Oddly enough I have both those sizes and the 54 mm are a little more comfortable right now for small stuff for me, with the 56 mm Classics on a park / ramp setup more than anything else.

Anyone else find that conical-edged wheels around 54 and above tend to "dig into" ledges more on pinchy tricks and cause you to stop grinding? (really feelin at 55 and above)

Feel like these og classics give me more of a pitch than a pinch when i try to lock in on certain shitty ledges.

Does anyone feel that 55-56mm classics/radials grind noticeably faster/smoother on hella sharp concrete-topped ledges?

But why tho does it really make that much of a difference?

More often than not people are never exactly straight on (especially on K grinds among others), but even if you are, the rounder edge will grip a whole lot less in a very small point of contact on the wheel, whereas the squared off edge type wheels will grip a whole lot more on much more of the wheel, if that makes sense.

We tried it with three different shapes of wheel on the same spot and the squared off wheels ended up having to use a lot more wax than the rounder profile.  Also the squared off wheel ended up with a lot more wax on the side of the wheel too as a result, almost like it had a built in scraper, which was funny to see.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4594 on: February 08, 2022, 04:24:16 AM »
Expand Quote

NFG 56mm Vee factory seconds. Measures consistently 55mm on all sides of each on low quality calipers. Shape compared to a 56mm Spit conical full. Makes ya wonder if other manufacturers melt down the duds to reuse or they go to a landfill.
[close]

I believe the spitfire 51mm lil smokies f4 tablets are cut from bigger wheels that ended up being duds

Never knew that, but it makes sense to recycle wheels in house, shaping them down as something else, compared to some of the "special deals on blank seconds" I know some people used to get from some places, long before all the fake wheels came around, so you kind of knew where they were from but couldn't say, but they still skated great when you could get them and they cost half the price.  As far as I know those sources dried up a while back and I have only seen questionable listings for blank pro brand wheels more recently, that I don't trust now anyway.

I guess too that some places like NFG will have a few more seconds being a smaller startup than some of the bigger places that have automated machines and trained people running the show.  At least they are still wheels that still skate for the most part how they should, even if they are a bit smaller than advertised or have cosmetic blemish issues.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4595 on: February 08, 2022, 11:27:25 AM »
Expand Quote
I decided to get some of the spitfire 97a wheels.  I want to get 56mm, but I have no idea if they are too big.  I basically only skate street and want to know if 56mm may be too big.  I currently ride 53mm and think they are too small.
[close]

The sizes you might be looking at besides the Classic 53 are the Classic / Conical Full 54 or Classic 56 so if you wanted something that is a bit more of a get it right now, the 54 mm would probably be best, but if you can deal with a little bit bigger, which will last longer but might be a bit funny at first, then 56 mm is the size to get.

They come out in Classic and Conical Full, so for some the Classic 56 or the Conical Full 54 are going to be more of interest.  Oddly enough I have both those sizes and the 54 mm are a little more comfortable right now for small stuff for me, with the 56 mm Classics on a park / ramp setup more than anything else.

Expand Quote
Anyone else find that conical-edged wheels around 54 and above tend to "dig into" ledges more on pinchy tricks and cause you to stop grinding? (really feelin at 55 and above)

Feel like these og classics give me more of a pitch than a pinch when i try to lock in on certain shitty ledges.

Does anyone feel that 55-56mm classics/radials grind noticeably faster/smoother on hella sharp concrete-topped ledges?

[close]

More often than not people are never exactly straight on (especially on K grinds among others), but even if you are, the rounder edge will grip a whole lot less in a very small point of contact on the wheel, whereas the squared off edge type wheels will grip a whole lot more on much more of the wheel, if that makes sense.

We tried it with three different shapes of wheel on the same spot and the squared off wheels ended up having to use a lot more wax than the rounder profile.  Also the squared off wheel ended up with a lot more wax on the side of the wheel too as a result, almost like it had a built in scraper, which was funny to see.

Round =  easier to get into
Square = bit more effort to slide
Round = easier to slip out of
Square = locks in better

Bones V5 best of bones worlds :P

I actually prefer squared off on smaller trucks and rounder on wider trucks.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #4596 on: February 08, 2022, 10:04:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Square = locks in better

I wish spitfire would just rip off the p5/v5 shape already

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #4597 on: February 08, 2022, 10:12:59 PM »
Quasi claims they “stole the formul” whatever that means. I’m not sure why they would get into the whee game if they were just using Creative. No real incentive since most of their pros are sponsored by Spitfire and would be going to an inferior product.

I think the incentive is that they have a popular brand and their own distribution, and if they can buy wheels for $5/set and sell them to stores for $14/set, that's a good return on their investment.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4598 on: February 09, 2022, 01:30:36 AM »
Can anyone recommend a set of soft cruiser wheels that also slide?  I feel uncomfortable bombing downhill knowing my wheels will grip.  I'm using OJ 87a skate jawn keyyframes.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #4599 on: February 09, 2022, 05:55:53 AM »
Can anyone recommend a set of soft cruiser wheels that also slide?  I feel uncomfortable bombing downhill knowing my wheels will grip.  I'm using OJ 87a skate jawn keyyframes.

Powell Peralta G-Slides

I like my set. They're decently easy to slide once you get used to how they feel.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
« Reply #4600 on: February 09, 2022, 07:59:33 AM »
Anyone know any skinny/slim wheels similar to the bones v3 in a 50-51mm? Been using the v3 shape for years now, but they havent been making any 101-103a wheels the last year or so in 50mm Only 99a. The satori super slim wheels look similar, also interested in the crupie skinny wheels might be the same width, cant find any specs on them though for widths. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So, Id say no for the crupies. They flat spotted fast. I don't mind when a wheel flats, but I hit a rock and the wheel was done. Flat tire, unusable.

I did enjoy my time on the satori. Out of all the wheels they really have the slimmest. The 101a still feel pretty soft though.

primitive makes a 50mm and 51mm 101a. They're always online for cheap. I'm actually thinking of giving a pair of 53mm a try.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4601 on: February 09, 2022, 08:12:02 AM »

I’ll second G-Slides. I just like them for cruising because 80A is a bit too pillowy for me, but they say they’re designed to be a downhill wheel that slides, so it seems like they’d be worth a try for you. I think they come in 56mm and 59mm.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4602 on: February 09, 2022, 08:13:24 AM »

Powell bombers are great for this. They come big (60mm) and are 85a iirc, but still slide pretty nice. I had the g slides too but I found that after the outer coating wore off, they stopped sliding (a few days). Other folks may have had a different experience with them, but the two sets I had had the same issue.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4603 on: February 09, 2022, 08:44:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Square = locks in better

[close]

I wish spitfire would just rip off the p5/v5 shape already

It's close...shame they don't bring it back.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:00:13 AM by Xen »

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #4604 on: February 09, 2022, 10:10:04 AM »

was not expecting this one

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4605 on: February 09, 2022, 10:17:46 AM »
everyones doing wheels again.

europa1991

• Rep: 59
« Reply #4606 on: February 09, 2022, 10:40:18 AM »
They couldn’t put Nick Matthews because they spent the budget on wheels

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4607 on: February 09, 2022, 04:15:49 PM »
Board brand wheels rarely if ever work out I don't know why they would do this. Are they just Creative?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4608 on: February 09, 2022, 04:43:43 PM »
Those treads be telling on them
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4609 on: February 09, 2022, 05:27:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So, Id say no for the crupies. They flat spotted fast. I don't mind when a wheel flats, but I hit a rock and the wheel was done. Flat tire, unusable.

I did enjoy my time on the satori. Out of all the wheels they really have the slimmest. The 101a still feel pretty soft though.

primitive makes a 50mm and 51mm 101a. They're always online for cheap. I'm actually thinking of giving a pair of 53mm a try.

Ditto on Crupie and Satori.

Super Slim looks incredibly slim, skinnier than a V3

Vinyl cut looks similar to a V3

Bones

If Satori is still using Creative then they are a solid wheel, I'd put them above Ricta / OJ in the Big 3. Really enjoyed my time on SML and Autobahn.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4610 on: February 10, 2022, 01:00:58 PM »
Some of the best garage made wheels I’ve seen. Looks like they’re all 90mm though

https://instagram.com/skatewheel_maker?utm_medium=copy_link

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4611 on: February 10, 2022, 01:14:48 PM »
Some of the best garage made wheels I’ve seen. Looks like they’re all 90mm though

on their site it looks like they have a 90a, a 97a and a 99a wheel. rad though, anyone have time on these?

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4612 on: February 10, 2022, 01:20:01 PM »

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #4613 on: February 10, 2022, 02:40:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

on their site it looks like they have a 90a, a 97a and a 99a wheel. rad though, anyone have time on these?

I skated the 97s for a few months.  They feel a little slow on smooth ground but they felt real nice on crappy asphalt at the DIY.  He just came out with the 99s wanted to grab a set to try out but I already have too many wheels.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4614 on: February 10, 2022, 04:16:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I skated the 97s for a few months.  They feel a little slow on smooth ground but they felt real nice on crappy asphalt at the DIY.  He just came out with the 99s wanted to grab a set to try out but I already have too many wheels.

yeah i'm in the same boat, but i also just noticed the 99s come in green and orange so i may be trying those sooner than i think

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4615 on: February 10, 2022, 05:03:30 PM »
Anyone have a review of Dialtone wheels? Looking to size down from 54mm NFG, are Loophole on par with SML? Last set I rode were petty good.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4616 on: February 10, 2022, 05:21:16 PM »
Anyone have a review of Dialtone wheels? Looking to size down from 54mm NFG, are Loophole on par with SML? Last set I rode were petty good.

loophole are just nfg with a different graphic if that helps

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #4617 on: February 10, 2022, 05:26:00 PM »

It's my understanding that Loophole and NFG are identical wheels. I've had SML and I'm skating Loopholes now, and the Loopholes are vastly better.

I don't know anything about Dial Tone, so correct me if I am wrong, but they look to be more generic Creative Urethane wheels.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4618 on: February 10, 2022, 05:47:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

loophole are just nfg with a different graphic if that helps
Expand Quote
[close]

It's my understanding that Loophole and NFG are identical wheels. I've had SML and I'm skating Loopholes now, and the Loopholes are vastly better.

I don't know anything about Dial Tone, so correct me if I am wrong, but they look to be more generic Creative Urethane wheels.

I mistyped and confused everyone, no coffee

Currently on NFG
Not ridden Loophole, they are the same as NFG
I was asking about Dialtone, and wanted to know if they rode similar to SML which I rode late last year.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4619 on: February 10, 2022, 08:59:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah i'm in the same boat, but i also just noticed the 99s come in green and orange so i may be trying those sooner than i think
Seemed weird the 97a only comes in a 52mm. I woulda given em buy if they had 54mms. Not even trying to be fussy, the 97a 54mm CF is my fave right now and it would be dope to have another brand making a similar wheel.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.