Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798838 times)

Mongo Lloyd, Murray Hewitt and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #5670 on: May 11, 2023, 08:07:14 PM »
There isn’t a skateshop within 50 miles of me. So I can’t go and compare them. But are the 808s bulkier than the 1010s? They look like it from pictures but I know it can be different IRL. Just don’t want it to feel like I’m wearing some Timberlands lol

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #5671 on: May 11, 2023, 09:29:50 PM »
There isn’t a skateshop within 50 miles of me. So I can’t go and compare them. But are the 808s bulkier than the 1010s? They look like it from pictures but I know it can be different IRL. Just don’t want it to feel like I’m wearing some Timberlands lol

My local in LA doesn’t carry NB either.   Would be interesting to see these in person, but I can’t be arsed to go to a strangers shop hah

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #5672 on: May 12, 2023, 02:12:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I have a buddy who doesn’t really skate, but watches videos sometimes - he had some Tiago 1010s on and had no idea it was even a skate shoe, let alone who Tiago is.  I feel like it, and probably the 808 too, has that crossover appeal, it just looks like a cool New Balance shoe.  Have to imagine the non-skating audience is the largest segment of those buying these things.  Plus “Tiago” just sounds like a made up name shoe companies assign to a given SKU.
[close]

A lot of people that are into the Tiago shoes (be it the 808 or 1010’s) seem to be the type that collect, and want them in every color. I know myself I have probably close to 20 pairs of 808 & 1010’s combined.

I’m the same way. Just need the beef and broccoli 1010’s and I’m set. Anyone know why there’s some with black flat laces and some with wheat round(dunk like laces)?

I’ve had about 6 different colorways and materials of the 1010’s and The Rone collab has the best fit. I didn’t know what the issue was until now but the Rone collab without the “fantom fit” just seems more sturdy and overall comfortable. Aside from it being $180…I hope they sit and go on sale on my size, def need to double up. Also the last grey day 1010’s tongue should be the standard for the rest of the 1010’s cause those feel just as good. Can’t wait for my grey day 808’s to come in. Just happen to snag those one early morning while looking thru e-mails and premiere announcing it thru there.

Trilogy

• Rep: -289
« Reply #5673 on: May 12, 2023, 04:51:17 AM »

much bulkier and a lot heavier, that shoe is really really heavy!!!

burner

• Rep: 94
« Reply #5674 on: May 12, 2023, 06:17:21 AM »

Just got my hands on some Rone 1010's and they are the absolute business. Love 'em. Beautiful shoe.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #5675 on: May 12, 2023, 06:30:35 AM »
Any tips on breaking in 808s faster ? Microwave ?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5676 on: May 12, 2023, 06:49:23 AM »
i've actually seen quite a few non-skaters in numerics recently, most commonly the 306, some 440s.

is there a teddy santis nb with a color similar to that poets 1010? i feel like i've seen that colorway on one of the 990s he did

There was this Teddy CW last year.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #5677 on: May 12, 2023, 06:55:03 AM »
For people saying 808 is heavy and stiff, is that any different than trying to break in a new Lynx OG or Clocker 2 OG? Been skating a lot of those bulkier DC models lately so feel like it wouldn’t be that different?

eSK3

« Reply #5678 on: May 12, 2023, 08:13:22 AM »
The 808 aren’t heavy(compared to regular sneakers) but they do need some break in time.

Fartknocker415

« Reply #5679 on: May 12, 2023, 10:29:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wtf bro don't listen to this guy they aren't "really really heavy!!". They are,however, really really stiff. Very supportive form fitting and stiff

Trilogy

• Rep: -289
« Reply #5680 on: May 12, 2023, 11:17:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wtf bro don't listen to this guy they aren't "really really heavy!!". They are,however, really really stiff. Very supportive form fitting and stiff

LOL

baggy spandex

« Reply #5681 on: May 12, 2023, 11:44:44 AM »
Got my Frankys last night and they look even better in person and on the feet. The insole feels great too. First pair of NB in a while, looking forward to skating them this weekend.

wax poetic

• Rep: 44
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #5682 on: May 12, 2023, 02:27:51 PM »
One of the things I heard about the 808 that struck me as true after having a couple pair is this ... They are stiff af but will stay stiff af until you retire them and get a new pair.  You may have to adjust your feet at first when getting used to them to get your flip tricks right but once you do that will be the position from the day you get them until the day you retire them.  If you want board feel, I'd find a different shoe.  If you want support that isn't going to change, much if at all, these are great.  I'm also old, so style wise and support wise I'm loving the shoe.  Oh yeah and half size up ;)

caviar

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5683 on: May 12, 2023, 03:20:27 PM »
For people saying 808 is heavy and stiff, is that any different than trying to break in a new Lynx OG or Clocker 2 OG? Been skating a lot of those bulkier DC models lately so feel like it wouldn’t be that different?

808 feels similar to what I remember a Lynx was like. In my experience similar to the 1010, The material variations will affect the fit. Any other 808 heads notice that every pair breaks down differently?

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #5684 on: May 12, 2023, 06:06:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

808 feels similar to what I remember a Lynx was like. In my experience similar to the 1010, The material variations will affect the fit. Any other 808 heads notice that every pair breaks down differently?

I like the fit more on the 808 and more for looks on the 1010. The 808 is more sturdy, there’s something about the Fantomfit that makes the heel collar weird on the 1010’s. The 808’s got a puffier and sturdy fit while the 1010’s mesh pairs needs adjustment and sometimes need to do the laces more loose. The 1010’s are stiff but thinner than the 808’s. This me coming from a regular Jordan 4 which is way more thicker than the Lynx.

As always def half size up on the 808’s

Blue tile just did a review on the Poets 1010’s!
They don’t have the Fantomfit like Rone’s and I’m happy with that.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 06:23:45 PM by ferraveemo »

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5685 on: May 12, 2023, 06:16:10 PM »
One of the things I heard about the 808 that struck me as true after having a couple pair is this ... They are stiff af but will stay stiff af until you retire them and get a new pair.  You may have to adjust your feet at first when getting used to them to get your flip tricks right but once you do that will be the position from the day you get them until the day you retire them.  If you want board feel, I'd find a different shoe.  If you want support that isn't going to change, much if at all, these are great.  I'm also old, so style wise and support wise I'm loving the shoe.  Oh yeah and half size up ;)

I agree with the stiffness and cushion for sure. And I actually like a stiffer shoe (honk honk), so these are right up my alley. I stay tts with them, though. What helped me was lacing them up all the way so they didn't pivot on my feet, which helped my toes feel nice.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5686 on: May 12, 2023, 06:19:30 PM »
Wear tested did a review on the franky.

https://www.weartested.com/nb-franky-417/

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5687 on: May 13, 2023, 12:24:26 AM »
Got my Frankys last night and they look even better in person and on the feet. The insole feels great too. First pair of NB in a while, looking forward to skating them this weekend.

How is the width?

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #5688 on: May 13, 2023, 12:54:16 AM »
Im excited to try the Frankys. Only worried if the toebox is too narrow since it looks kinda pointy.

baggy spandex

« Reply #5689 on: May 13, 2023, 02:40:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

How is the width?
[close]

Need to know this, too! Now that the 212 is gone I'm fucked. Can't skate anything else at this point.

They feel good to me width-wise, and my feet are a little on the wider side, I think (can’t wear chuck Taylor’s for example).

Im excited to try the Frankys. Only worried if the toebox is too narrow since it looks kinda pointy.

I wouldn’t call it narrow.

baggy spandex

« Reply #5690 on: May 13, 2023, 02:46:15 AM »

Nice review! I’m surprised to see them say to size down a half size though. If I’d gone down a half size I’m not sure mine would fit.

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #5691 on: May 13, 2023, 02:59:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

How is the width?
[close]

Need to know this, too! Now that the 212 is gone I'm fucked. Can't skate anything else at this point.
[close]

They feel good to me width-wise, and my feet are a little on the wider side, I think (can’t wear chuck Taylor’s for example).

Expand Quote
[close]

I wouldn’t call it narrow.

Good to know.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #5692 on: May 13, 2023, 05:33:56 AM »
I am keen on trying some 440s and 508s but last time I checked locals didnt carry them. Can someone help with the sizing as compared to Vans (kyle walker 1) or LRAB (vm001)? 

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
« Reply #5693 on: May 13, 2023, 11:31:35 AM »
Expand Quote
i've actually seen quite a few non-skaters in numerics recently, most commonly the 306, some 440s.

is there a teddy santis nb with a color similar to that poets 1010? i feel like i've seen that colorway on one of the 990s he did
[close]

Does anyone have a link for these in size 10? Asking for a friend…..

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5694 on: May 13, 2023, 12:47:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice review! I’m surprised to see them say to size down a half size though. If I’d gone down a half size I’m not sure mine would fit.

I buy everything tts no matter what and the only shoe I’ve had issues with was the 508 and then I laced it differently because heel slip and it was basically tts also. I feel it’s the one that thing I should actually listen to but I’m too concerned with m trucks sticking out  1/16 of an inch too far. Ha

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #5695 on: May 13, 2023, 02:22:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Does anyone have a link for these in size 10? Asking for a friend…..

Stock x and eBay

Fartknocker415

« Reply #5696 on: May 14, 2023, 09:55:57 AM »
Anyone else wit medium-high arches wearing Tiago 808? Wondering what your experience has been like. I’m still just wearing the around to work and such and it’s def been a different feeling shoe than I’m used to, but not sure if it’s what my arches need or if it’s like too much support. Also thinking they just still kinda breaking in like a baseball mitt or some shiet

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5697 on: May 14, 2023, 10:19:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just got them and damn, some of y’all are built different. Theses things are bricks compared to the 440s 😮‍💨

Looks nice though. And impact is good cause I can’t feel shit under my feet. Gonna wear them a few weeks before skating in them. Glad I got a size 14 cause they’re snug. 13 would’ve been torture.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5698 on: May 15, 2023, 09:17:05 AM »
Anyone else wit medium-high arches wearing Tiago 808? Wondering what your experience has been like. I’m still just wearing the around to work and such and it’s def been a different feeling shoe than I’m used to, but not sure if it’s what my arches need or if it’s like too much support. Also thinking they just still kinda breaking in like a baseball mitt or some shiet
My feet are flat-ish, but my left arch hurts after taking them off. They’re breaking in, though. Took a few minutes to regain my ollie cause I was too scared to commit (feet felt so heavy) 😅

But I like ‘em. Just gotta get use to them more.

wax poetic

• Rep: 44
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #5699 on: May 16, 2023, 01:05:58 AM »
That colorway is awesome!