Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309475 times)

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
Re: bikes
« Reply #1200 on: November 06, 2019, 06:18:27 PM »
Expand Quote
those sites are scary. what did you order?
that obrea is pretty.
[close]

I was wanting a flip flop hub and not pay a fuckload for something that I may or may not like Raleigh has made quality bikes before and I am hyped on this one, however I am that dude that thinks the worst will happen.

That's why I asked if anyone has ordered a bike from them....

I like how there's a rear brake. Seen bunch of people just rock a front brake

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1201 on: November 06, 2019, 09:03:46 PM »
Seeing my last post in this thread makes it hard to believe it’s only been a month to the day but I’ve ridden practically every day since buying my last bike so I decided to upgrade to this machine

that looks nice dude. what kinda bike is it?
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1202 on: November 06, 2019, 09:17:36 PM »
It’s a semi locals shop bike they released, but the bike itself is just called the JRI T6 Low Pro.

Flip flop 6061 al track bike, I just updated it with stubby bullhorn bars that I need end caps for now

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1203 on: November 08, 2019, 12:05:47 PM »
It’s a semi locals shop bike they released, but the bike itself is just called the JRI T6 Low Pro.

Flip flop 6061 al track bike, I just updated it with stubby bullhorn bars that I need end caps for now

super cool, it looks really clean. have considered trying out a fixie, and your bike got me hyped on the idea again hahah
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1204 on: November 08, 2019, 12:07:45 PM »
It’s a really fun bike, I use it as my daily commuter and it just makes me want to get up and go to work that little bit more

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1205 on: November 08, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that obrea is pretty.
[close]

I was wanting a flip flop hub and not pay a fuckload for something that I may or may not like Raleigh has made quality bikes before and I am hyped on this one, however I am that dude that thinks the worst will happen.

[close]

I've always wanted to learn how to ride fixed, what better way then just do it?

although I am going to be a pussy ay first I want to really know the difference.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1206 on: November 09, 2019, 02:18:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that obrea is pretty.
[close]

[close]

[close]

although I am going to be a pussy ay first I want to really know the difference.
  Only difference is you can't stop pedaling. I tried someones and seemed pretty fun.  Less matinance I guess but single speeds freewheels don't require much anyway.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1207 on: November 09, 2019, 03:09:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that obrea is pretty.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
  Only difference is you can't stop pedaling. I tried someones and seemed pretty fun.  Less matinance I guess but single speeds freewheels don't require much anyway.
I have a Puegot I want to fix up but I fucked up and lost the balls in the front hub and I am not knowledgeable or have rudimentary bike building skills, might as well leave it to the homies at my local shop. I hate those trek shops charge you out the ass for basic shit.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1208 on: November 09, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »
Going to get my Trek Marlin 5 29r ready for some winter street riding.

Ordered Maxxis Hookworms

Might switch out my wide mountain bike bars with something more sleek, or just get road bike rests

I’ll post a picture when I set up the new slick tires.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1209 on: November 09, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that obrea is pretty.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
I have a Puegot I want to fix up but I fucked up and lost the balls in the front hub and I am not knowledgeable or have rudimentary bike building skills, might as well leave it to the homies at my local shop. I hate those trek shops charge you out the ass for basic shit.
  What kind of Peugeot?
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1210 on: November 09, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that obrea is pretty.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
  What kind of Peugeot?
1986 Monaco powdered white and it needs a good cleaning but I want to clean it up beforehand.

Mother Goose.

« Reply #1211 on: November 09, 2019, 07:31:12 PM »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1212 on: November 09, 2019, 07:32:12 PM »

Ordered Maxxis Hookworms

Might switch out my wide mountain bike bars with something more sleek, or just get road bike rests

I would be so amped on those tires, whatever width.  What width did you go with?, I'm to understand theryre hard to puncture too.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1213 on: November 09, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »
Expand Quote

Ordered Maxxis Hookworms

[close]
  I would be so amped on those tires, whatever width.  What width did you go with?, I'm to understand theryre hard to puncture too.

I think they are 2.5”. I’ve read that they are heavy but very durable, so you can fill them well over 65 psi and carry some serious momentum.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1214 on: November 09, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »
Hotline Vid

There’s one of these with Mike Hernandez which rules and a more recent one of a Japanese dude ripping through Tokyo

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1215 on: November 10, 2019, 03:03:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Hotline Vid
[close]

There’s one of these with Mike Hernandez which rules and a more recent one of a Japanese dude ripping through Tokyo

From 4:00-10:00 was hairy. 

Post the Japan one if you can, I don't see it.

Jagr

• Rep: 117
« Reply #1216 on: November 10, 2019, 04:34:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Hotline Vid
[close]

Is there actually a hotline with mike hernandez? i know he has a streets of chrome thing.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1217 on: November 10, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »
Mike Hernandez

Sada Chang

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1218 on: November 10, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
Mike Hernandez

Sada Chang
I’ve gotten clipped off my bike a few times and to me I am thankful for my ability to walk away rather unscathed.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1219 on: November 10, 2019, 06:24:44 PM »
How are those hotline videos filmed? Particularly the trailing shot.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1220 on: November 10, 2019, 06:29:58 PM »
The guy who makes the videos Terry Bartenson has a rig run down somewhere on that YouTube channel

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1221 on: November 10, 2019, 06:40:19 PM »
Hyped for tomorrow I’m going to finally get my bike, damn shipping taking forever.

Jagr

• Rep: 117
« Reply #1222 on: November 11, 2019, 03:11:52 PM »
Mike Hernandez

Sada Chang

Fuck yeah, so sick.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1223 on: November 11, 2019, 04:30:42 PM »
Just got my bike assembled and I am hyped.

Haven’t had a good bike my size in soooo long.

Always had to just wing it and find something close to my size.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1224 on: November 13, 2019, 04:17:50 PM »
This one scared me, too sketchy.

Kel Varnsen

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1225 on: November 13, 2019, 05:57:09 PM »
Looking to solicit some advice from more experienced riders. I've purchased / sold a few bikes over the past several years from being on and off the ability to ride. I recently switched jobs and have gotten to know some people that go on regular 20-30 mile rides. I'm considering getting back into riding for my work commute, which is less than ten miles, but also joining this riding group. Not really looking to spend a ton of money right now - I want to be sure I'm serious about it first - but I'm looking at getting a gravel bike or a road bike.

On the one hand, I feel like a gravel bike will get me a little more versatility and handle some roads around where I'm at that aren't that great. I wouldn't have to be as careful about where I'm riding / take it on the occasional trail if I feel so inclined, and buy a set of road tires for longer group rides. I honestly don't know if I have the experience to tell the difference between road / gravel at this point. On the other hand, a road bike is probably built more toward my long-term goal of using riding as a regular source of fitness and viable commute option. Curious anyone's take or experience on one vs the other. Thanks in advance.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1226 on: November 14, 2019, 04:27:52 AM »
a gravel bike is a good idea if you are dealing with less than perfect roads and if you are just getting started.
Road bikes don't flat often, but when you get flats, they seem to come in bunches.(not ideal when you are trying to get to work on time)  A gravel bike isn't going to flat on the road, will be more versatile and about 60% as  fast on the road as a road bike (quite a bit slower)
a gravel bike will be more reliable as your commuter, buy it to see how you like the whole situation, and if you are into it, sell it and buy a road bike, or keep both.
good luck.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1227 on: November 14, 2019, 03:33:15 PM »
Looking to solicit some advice from more experienced riders. I've purchased / sold a few bikes over the past several years from being on and off the ability to ride. I recently switched jobs and have gotten to know some people that go on regular 20-30 mile rides. I'm considering getting back into riding for my work commute, which is less than ten miles, but also joining this riding group. Not really looking to spend a ton of money right now - I want to be sure I'm serious about it first - but I'm looking at getting a gravel bike or a road bike.

On the one hand, I feel like a gravel bike will get me a little more versatility and handle some roads around where I'm at that aren't that great. I wouldn't have to be as careful about where I'm riding / take it on the occasional trail if I feel so inclined, and buy a set of road tires for longer group rides. I honestly don't know if I have the experience to tell the difference between road / gravel at this point. On the other hand, a road bike is probably built more toward my long-term goal of using riding as a regular source of fitness and viable commute option. Curious anyone's take or experience on one vs the other. Thanks in advance.

You've basically got this figured out.  Buy a gravel bike and get an extra set of tires.  Make sure the rims aren't so fat that you can't put some 28-32c tires on it.  Gravel bike has rack mounts for commuter bags, road bike doesn't.  Maybe you want to go bike camp, you can.  Gravel bike is more stable, for shitty roads, your lack of experience, commuting, whatever.  You're not going to be significantly slower in group rides with road tires.  Unless you buy some heavy piece of shit. 

Good luck.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1228 on: November 14, 2019, 03:33:47 PM »
To add to gravel bikes idea you could get some hybrid tires and a decent single speed bike for around $175 to $200.

I know fixed gears suck but single speed is a good option to think about, especially if you have thin but knobby tires.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1229 on: November 14, 2019, 05:09:42 PM »
Just installed 29"x2.5" maxxis hookworms on my mtb. I went on a little night jam and it felt really good. Such a smooth ride. Having a hard time uploading photos from my phone but ill post a pic soon.