Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 88767 times)

switchfakie

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1350 on: June 12, 2023, 09:18:51 PM »
Kinda of having new cruiser set up madness right now.. I want a new cruiser for long pushes around town, some hill bombing and pump track action.  I know I want something about 9" to 10" and I know I want Wheel wells.

But

Do I go short WB for squirrelly responsiveness or long WB for high speed stability?

Its down to the Antihero Raney Big Bord or the new Genius shape...

Typically I wouldn't have crosier set up madness but since I am trying not to skate to hard while I heal up its become a thing...

polar dane1 full shape

31.~ length, 9.75 width, 14 wheelbase

i can kickflip & heelflip it ez as well

its the perfect cruiser

i ride it with indy 215's and 0.5 inch risers but id recommend 169 or 159

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1351 on: June 12, 2023, 09:57:07 PM »
I'm having some wheelbase madness right now. I'm running an Ishod 8.3 twin tail as my main setup. It has a 14.4" wheelbase which I've traditionally thought of being too short for me but then there's been some decks where it works just fine.

I set up a new cruiser a while ago. Antihero Blue Meanie 8.75" with 14.75" wheelbase. I've skated one before as my main setup and absolutely loved it. It was a bit of a chore getting up but the pop yield was great and I felt like I could control it really well. I'm not that precise with my legs so short wheelbases and light trucks don't work too well for me usually. Now this cruiser felt almost magical. I'm on loose Ace 44 Classics with 1/8" risers and 55mm OJ Mini Super Juices and I can ollie over a bunch of stuff when cruising without hesitation. Usually it takes me a good while to warm my legs up to even attempt a first ollie, that's why cruising has been kinda meh for me if I'm in places where you have to ollie over stuff a lot but now I've been having a blast.

I haven't skated my main setup for a while but now I'm thinking it's probably not suitable for me as it certainly isn't as effortless. I think I'll give it a go once more and if I don't like it that much, I'll switch it out to something with a longer wheelbase. I've got a probably about 20 decks in my stack though. Most of them with a 14.5" wheelbase, some with 14.375" and some with 14.625", 14.75" and 15". Really not sure what to set up next. 14.5" was my thinking but then the Blue Meanie has me wanting to set up something with 14.75". Then again I could set up a 14.375" and figure out for good that it's just not my thing. 15" I don't feel like skating right now for some reason so at least there's that. Basically I'm in full kook mode right now.  :-X

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1352 on: June 12, 2023, 10:11:16 PM »
I'm having some wheelbase madness right now. I'm running an Ishod 8.3 twin tail as my main setup. It has a 14.4" wheelbase which I've traditionally thought of being too short for me but then there's been some decks where it works just fine.

I set up a new cruiser a while ago. Antihero Blue Meanie 8.75" with 14.75" wheelbase. I've skated one before as my main setup and absolutely loved it. It was a bit of a chore getting up but the pop yield was great and I felt like I could control it really well. I'm not that precise with my legs so short wheelbases and light trucks don't work too well for me usually. Now this cruiser felt almost magical. I'm on loose Ace 44 Classics with 1/8" risers and 55mm OJ Mini Super Juices and I can ollie over a bunch of stuff when cruising without hesitation. Usually it takes me a good while to warm my legs up to even attempt a first ollie, that's why cruising has been kinda meh for me if I'm in places where you have to ollie over stuff a lot but now I've been having a blast.

I haven't skated my main setup for a while but now I'm thinking it's probably not suitable for me as it certainly isn't as effortless. I think I'll give it a go once more and if I don't like it that much, I'll switch it out to something with a longer wheelbase. I've got a probably about 20 decks in my stack though. Most of them with a 14.5" wheelbase, some with 14.375" and some with 14.625", 14.75" and 15". Really not sure what to set up next. 14.5" was my thinking but then the Blue Meanie has me wanting to set up something with 14.75". Then again I could set up a 14.375" and figure out for good that it's just not my thing. 15" I don't feel like skating right now for some reason so at least there's that. Basically I'm in full kook mode right now.  :-X

I have a DLX 8.75/14.62 (159 forged) set-up as my cruiser / big ramp board. Usually run 54mm/99a Classics or Conicals on it. If I’m going full cruise, mighy throw 80HDs on it. This set-up gets me in trouble sometimes. If I ride it too much, I start to really, really like it for some things, and then my regular 8.25 begins to feel impossibly small. Yeah, the 8.75 is a tank on some stuff, but it’s just so stable and comfy on other stuff (e.g. Smith grinds). Sometimes it’s really hard to “go smaller” when you’ve been riding a bigger board for awhile, so be careful what you’re doing with bigger WBs! Madness will ensue!

Also, I’ve been thinking about setting up a bigger full-on dedicated cruiser, but haven’t actually done it, because I’m not sure if I want to open that door.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1353 on: June 12, 2023, 11:42:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a DLX 8.75/14.62 (159 forged) set-up as my cruiser / big ramp board. Usually run 54mm/99a Classics or Conicals on it. If I’m going full cruise, mighy throw 80HDs on it. This set-up gets me in trouble sometimes. If I ride it too much, I start to really, really like it for some things, and then my regular 8.25 begins to feel impossibly small. Yeah, the 8.75 is a tank on some stuff, but it’s just so stable and comfy on other stuff (e.g. Smith grinds). Sometimes it’s really hard to “go smaller” when you’ve been riding a bigger board for awhile, so be careful what you’re doing with bigger WBs! Madness will ensue!

Also, I’ve been thinking about setting up a bigger full-on dedicated cruiser, but haven’t actually done it, because I’m not sure if I want to open that door.

Thanks! Good points. I’m actually not that worried about liking the bigger boards as I’m not exactly a tech guy. I am old though and would like to learn some new tricks but I’m thinking that riding what feels comfortable would be better for that instead of having a setup that feels too small.

I have actually skated boards up to 15” wheelbase and up to 9.75” width as my main setup. Usually I’m around 8.5” with 14.5” wheelbase but can go over a lot and under a bit.

I skated the DLX 8.75” a year or so ago and while it was ok, I never really got along with it that well. Maybe it’s the long tail paired with Aces or something but it just felt more difficult to pop properly than it should have. I don’t think I’ll be getting another one of those. Currently I’m considering the DLX 8.63”, which seems to me that it’s from the same mold as the Blue Meanie but it’s a popsicle instead. Never skated that board before as I couldn’t figure out which trucks to use on it as Ace went from 8.35” to 9.0”. Now I could pair it with the AF1 55s or 60s. Probably 55s as those felt good on the Blue Meanie previously.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1354 on: June 14, 2023, 05:43:53 PM »
i've been messing around with sub 8.5 sizing on various wood shops for the first time in the quest to get 360 flips by my 38th birthday. missed the goal date but it's been a nice experiment. I flung around an ancient 7.5-7.75 pennswood on ventures and 50mm wheels my buddy broke out and although i only threw out a few attempts, that tiny ass board was truth central for flip tricks. I'm thinking I want to set up an 8" with 14"WB and 149s. Don't have any wheels on ice smaller than 54, so it's gonna be funky, but i'm thinking that for a little while anyways, the difference between 8.25 and 8 will be negligible for learning new flip tricks that i'm not getting on 8.25/8.5. Probably gonna crack and order a mini logo deck like Fletch
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #1355 on: June 14, 2023, 06:53:55 PM »
i've been messing around with sub 8.5 sizing on various wood shops for the first time in the quest to get 360 flips by my 38th birthday. missed the goal date but it's been a nice experiment. I flung around an ancient 7.5-7.75 pennswood on ventures and 50mm wheels my buddy broke out and although i only threw out a few attempts, that tiny ass board was truth central for flip tricks. I'm thinking I want to set up an 8" with 14"WB and 149s. Don't have any wheels on ice smaller than 54, so it's gonna be funky, but i'm thinking that for a little while anyways, the difference between 8.25 and 8 will be negligible for learning new flip tricks that i'm not getting on 8.25/8.5. Probably gonna crack and order a mini logo deck like Fletch

Crail is calling

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1356 on: June 14, 2023, 09:03:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Crail is calling

heard he’s skating a flight deck. i wonder which shape?
there is something interesting, to me, about possibly skating a powell board in this year of 2023. several times in my skate life, skateboards, in general, felt a little taboo, wrong, socially risky. for a moment i was thinking that buying a flight deck, might bring me some of that nostalgic feeling, of not fitting in, that skating used to represent to me.

and then i remembered i’m closer to 50 and most every old white guy my age has some shitty powell board.

but for serious if we find out what our flat god is riding lemme know. could be private, or not, idc

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1357 on: June 14, 2023, 09:23:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Crail is calling
[close]

there is something interesting, to me, about possibly skating a powell board in this year of 2023. several times in my skate life, skateboards, in general, felt a little taboo, wrong, socially risky. for a moment i was thinking that buying a flight deck, might bring me some of that nostalgic feeling, of not fitting in, that skating used to represent to me.

and then i remembered i’m closer to 50 and most every old white guy my age has some shitty powell board.

but for serious if we find out what our flat god is riding lemme know. could be private, or not, idc

@23:20 @Fletschinger spits about the mini logo

I bet @Sativa Lung knows whats up with these as well

i feel you on the powell tip. There are certain things i'm not going to do- such as buy an element deck, regardless of low price. this video is the only reason i'd consider a mini logo. although, my first real deck was purple mini logo in probably 1997/98, i'm not really trying to go there at this time but... i going to end up snagging one of these 8s and see what happens.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:31:04 PM by IusedToSkateMore »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1358 on: June 14, 2023, 10:54:59 PM »
For 3 flips…..isn’t magic carpet better than hot rod?

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #1359 on: June 15, 2023, 04:29:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Crail is calling
[close]

[close]

i feel you on the powell tip. There are certain things i'm not going to do- such as buy an element deck, regardless of low price. this video is the only reason i'd consider a mini logo. although, my first real deck was purple mini logo in probably 1997/98, i'm not really trying to go there at this time but... i going to end up snagging one of these 8s and see what happens.

Why no Element? Not judging, just wondering g what I missed. And you know you’ve got the madness when you’re factoring in your house’s pitch into kick angle measurements.

Real shit though, I use my iPhone’s level to measure kick angle. My favorite board (G069) is a hair over 18°.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1360 on: June 15, 2023, 08:26:07 AM »

"Weird I saved this. I don't save anything."

(As he is standing next to huge stack of saved decks)

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1361 on: June 15, 2023, 09:18:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Crail is calling
[close]

[close]

[close]

Why no Element? Not judging, just wondering g what I missed. And you know you’ve got the madness when you’re factoring in your house’s pitch into kick angle measurements.

Real shit though, I use my iPhone’s level to measure kick angle. My favorite board (G069) is a hair over 18°.

;D westgate is the shit and all, but element is wack and i'd rather give my hard earned diminishing funds to my local shop/company etc. I wrote that mostly in response to people going bonkers over $15-20 element decks a few weeks back and me and some others saying/thinking "weak, element sucks..." Standard BBS shapes is what people are looking for in that run and I can support my local who sells BBS shop decks for a $20 more that's going to go into the community. Ordering a mini logo feels kind of uncomfortable too, but it may serve a purpose.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1362 on: June 15, 2023, 06:19:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Crail is calling
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

;D westgate is the shit and all, but element is wack and i'd rather give my hard earned diminishing funds to my local shop/company etc. I wrote that mostly in response to people going bonkers over $15-20 element decks a few weeks back and me and some others saying/thinking "weak, element sucks..." Standard BBS shapes is what people are looking for in that run and I can support my local who sells BBS shop decks for a $20 more that's going to go into the community. Ordering a mini logo feels kind of uncomfortable too, but it may serve a purpose.

yes agree

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1363 on: June 15, 2023, 06:49:07 PM »
Anyone ever find a 'smaller' 8.3 Manderson 'shape' board? (length and WB); FA/Hockey? Gall's 8.25 metal?

IpathCats

« Reply #1364 on: June 15, 2023, 08:03:32 PM »

I'd say so

switchfakie

« Reply #1365 on: June 17, 2023, 12:12:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd say so

I’d agree but I’d also say from experience that as long as half the wheel isn’t sticking out on hot rod, you can still fairly easily do 3flips

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1366 on: June 17, 2023, 04:37:37 PM »
Anyone ever find a 'smaller' 8.3 Manderson 'shape' board? (length and WB); FA/Hockey? Gall's 8.25 metal?

Those AWS boards are close but slightly longer tails.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1367 on: June 17, 2023, 08:03:26 PM »

Have you tried the Quasi 8.25" x 31.8" WB 14" BBS yet?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1368 on: June 17, 2023, 08:53:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah a few times, I’m hoping to get an 8.3 but shorter; still looking at the gall metal.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #1369 on: June 17, 2023, 09:13:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd say so
[close]

I’d agree but I’d also say from experience that as long as half the wheel isn’t sticking out on hot rod, you can still fairly easily do 3flips
Can remove the axel washers as well if you haven’t already.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1370 on: June 17, 2023, 11:42:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah a few times, I’m hoping to get an 8.3 but shorter; still looking at the gall metal.

i’ve never skated the manderson, and i’m most likely way off here, but a board i fondly remember, from…maybe 2017? ish. was this doomsayers 8.28. it was short. top was laser engraved (i think). that board was the shit. such a great shape. at the time i was trying to make indys work, and i really enjoyed it. nose was bigger than i like, pop was fantastic.
someone on here said omar was a bit of a turd towards the artists that worked with him, and i moved on to other attempts at finding what worked for me. great board tho.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1371 on: June 18, 2023, 06:24:04 AM »
Continuation to my previous wheelbase madness kookery:

I was thinking of getting a fish scale to start measuring the force needed to get the front of the deck up. Pair that knowledge with the pop angle measured with my phone and estimate based on that how the board would work for me. I told about this to my girlfriend who just looked at me like I’m insane (which I’m definitely not at all! :) )

Instead of doing all that I switched from the 8.3” Ishod TT to DLX 8.38” and had a great session just a while ago. So, madness curbed (for now at least). :)

IpathCats

« Reply #1372 on: June 18, 2023, 06:53:26 AM »

I was thinking of getting a fish scale to start measuring the force needed to get the front of the deck up. Pair that knowledge with the pop angle measured with my phone and estimate based on that how the board would work for me. I told about this to my girlfriend who just looked at me like I’m insane (which I’m definitely not at all! :) )

Instead of doing all that I switched from the 8.3” Ishod TT to DLX 8.38” and had a great session just a while ago. So, madness curbed (for now at least). :)

I've found that my happy place setup switches between those two shapes depending on how I'm feeling.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #1373 on: June 18, 2023, 11:20:24 AM »

I was thinking of getting a fish scale to start measuring the force needed to get the front of the deck up. Pair that knowledge with the pop angle measured with my phone and estimate based on that how the board would work for me.

This is why I love this thread and community

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1374 on: June 18, 2023, 06:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i’ve never skated the manderson, and i’m most likely way off here, but a board i fondly remember, from…maybe 2017? ish. was this doomsayers 8.28. it was short. top was laser engraved (i think). that board was the shit. such a great shape. at the time i was trying to make indys work, and i really enjoyed it. nose was bigger than i like, pop was fantastic.
someone on here said omar was a bit of a turd towards the artists that worked with him, and i moved on to other attempts at finding what worked for me. great board tho.

The Manderson is a great shape, it's very similar to the AWS and Proto but just a bit mellower shape-wise...if it was just a bit shorter/trimmer all around I'd be golden. Gonna try the gall and hope for the best.

It could also feel too big because I've been on sub 32" boards with 14 <-> 14.18 WB for the last 3 boards so a 32" + 14.25 (and a full square shape) feels mighty hefty. If I skate park on the regular this would be the one.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1375 on: June 18, 2023, 06:56:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Manderson is a great shape, it's very similar to the AWS and Proto but just a bit mellower shape-wise...if it was just a bit shorter/trimmer all around I'd be golden. Gonna try the gall and hope for the best.

It could also feel too big because I've been on sub 32" boards with 14 <-> 14.18 WB for the last 3 boards so a 32" + 14.25 (and a full square shape) feels mighty hefty. If I skate park on the regular this would be the one.

length is my currently my favorite criteria. i’ve been going way short, and it’s been easier for most things. 

switchfakie

« Reply #1376 on: June 18, 2023, 08:54:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

length is my currently my favorite criteria. i’ve been going way short, and it’s been easier for most things.

Same bro, 8.75 x 31.5 is absurdly fun

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1377 on: June 19, 2023, 06:01:36 PM »
I didn’t post much about here, but I went through some deck Madness about 3 months ago. I normally ride DLX 8.25/14.38, and also have a DLX 8.75/14.62 that I ride sometimes. For a spell I was riding the 8.75 a lot, and suddenly my 8.25 seemed impossibly small (and 8.75 obviously too clunky for many things). This ignited a Madness to find an 8.5/14.5 middle-ground. At the tail end (recently) some wheel Madness also kicked in, which is really unusual for me.

I hadn’t had any serious Madness in quite awhile, but as we all know, it flares from time to time. In the end, I landed back on the exact same set-up(s) that I’ve always ridden. How surprising. And I reminded myself, yet again, “You know what you like. Don’t waste time, money, and emotional/mental investment on this, again. Just skate. Just enjoy what you know you enjoy.”

Last, I’ll put a plug in for Fresno Skateboard Salvage (links below). They do incredible work getting quality skateboards to at-risk youth, and are always looking for hardware donations. If you have any extra Madness gear, please consider sending it over to them. It will certainly go to good use. I’ve sent them a lot over the years, and it’s always rewarding to see it in the hands of some kid. Light the flame. Make skateboarding awesome for someone.

www.fresnoskateboardsalvage.org

https://instagram.com/fresnoskateboardsalvage?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1378 on: July 10, 2023, 02:58:31 PM »
went down a gnarly madness spiral, related to wanting to skate some more era correct setups, with some friends from way back, when 7.75s were common place.
ended up skating the best on a board that had stage 10 139s, which is a trip, as i’m not an indy person. but the results were the results.
or more accurately, i skated flatground almost as well as i did with 5.0, venture lo’s, and 50s, but was able to skate more terrain with the indy’s and larger wheels.
and skate half cabs, skated very well for me, but predictably felt like i was made out of painful glass, after the fun stopped.
another takeaway was that i skate better on spitfire classics, compared with tablets (that just look so not nice), and conical fulls.

the madness aspect is that i will take this info, and then certainly, most assuredly, switch shit up again, in the future.

oh, i have some mini logos that are currently kicking the ass of a pair of swiss, and another brand of bearings that people like(d), on here.
which is ‘funny’
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 04:51:46 PM by Ok »

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #1379 on: July 10, 2023, 03:05:32 PM »
Got some Fastbreak Pros for $35. Debating if I should skate or put ‘em on ice. I already rotate between three pair of skate shoes 😖