Author Topic: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie  (Read 29836 times)

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
Re: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2021, 02:45:17 PM »
theres a reason it didnt receive legit distribution.  the dude is a total kook and he's not doing his friends any favors by keeping up the act.

Mr Cheese Resurrection

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2021, 05:11:01 PM »
Expand Quote
South Hollywood was a way better movie hands down.
[close]

No such place.  North Hollywood and West Hollywood are cities.  East Hollywood is kind of a neighborhood that there’s some disagreement to where it is (I’m looking at you shitty bar off Western that dares put EaHo on its storefront).  Just wanted to shoot you down because you’re a bad faith idiot
Atiba you still mad everybody leaves you hanging on the high fives huh? And I don’t blame you, I pray for you. Here’s a song a song for you too

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1342
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2021, 07:44:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why are all skate movies about the come up? Seems like a movie about a drug addicted company owner who is an amazing skater, but terrible financial planner would be a more interesting story.

Imagine if the main character was a mixed of Jim Greco’s temperament, with Jamie Thomas’ demand of others, with Kareem Campbell’s inability to pay people on time or show up to things...you would have the greatest skate movie ever.
[close]

Lords of Dogtown was absolute dog shit, but Heath Ledger's performance as a character who acts in that kind of manner is actually pretty good. As soon as he's out of the picture its awful, but yeah.
[close]
Just watched this again last night because I noticed it's on Prime for free. Heath is pretty much the reason to watch it even if it makes Skip Engblom look like an asshole. The skating is super anachronistic, which isn't a surprise, but the weirdest part of it is all the soundalike music. There's some music on the score that almost gets into Zep's Ramblin On put keeps pulling back. I woulda thought a big Hollywood production could pony up for the licensed tunes.
[close]

There’s an alternate universe where David Finches didn’t drop out of directing lords of Dogtown.    But there’s also another universe where his protege Fred Durst also didn’t.
That's interesting. I had no idea Fincher was involved at one point. I kept thinking mid-production rescope while I was watching it but I didn't know that detail. Also crazy that Stacy Peralta gets sole writing credit since it's pretty uncommon for any movie to have just one writer credited.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2021, 08:21:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why are all skate movies about the come up? Seems like a movie about a drug addicted company owner who is an amazing skater, but terrible financial planner would be a more interesting story.

Imagine if the main character was a mixed of Jim Greco’s temperament, with Jamie Thomas’ demand of others, with Kareem Campbell’s inability to pay people on time or show up to things...you would have the greatest skate movie ever.
[close]

Lords of Dogtown was absolute dog shit, but Heath Ledger's performance as a character who acts in that kind of manner is actually pretty good. As soon as he's out of the picture its awful, but yeah.
[close]
Just watched this again last night because I noticed it's on Prime for free. Heath is pretty much the reason to watch it even if it makes Skip Engblom look like an asshole. The skating is super anachronistic, which isn't a surprise, but the weirdest part of it is all the soundalike music. There's some music on the score that almost gets into Zep's Ramblin On put keeps pulling back. I woulda thought a big Hollywood production could pony up for the licensed tunes.
[close]

There’s an alternate universe where David Finches didn’t drop out of directing lords of Dogtown.    But there’s also another universe where his protege Fred Durst also didn’t.
[close]
That's interesting. I had no idea Fincher was involved at one point. I kept thinking mid-production rescope while I was watching it but I didn't know that detail. Also crazy that Stacy Peralta gets sole writing credit since it's pretty uncommon for any movie to have just one writer credited.

For a writer to get credit, Writers Guild arbitration has to rule that an additional writer contributed 10% of original material to the script.  Script doctors and punch-up writers are rarely credited (I’m sure they mostly like to keep it that way because of the quality of things they are brought on to to sweeten) but they get good pay for like 4 weeks of work at a time.   The sweet gigs are the people brought in to punch up already shot movies.   They get paid a pretty penny just to watch the footage. 

It’s Stacy’s story and it’s based on true events so I’m sure he had some level of control about not bringing in a new writer and what not and since it’s a true story there aren’t the typical screenwriter shenanigans where they arbitrarily change the names of characters and things like that in order to have “created” more things.

Also, if anyone’s curious “&” means the writers wrote together while “and” means a new writer was brought on. 

veritas

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2021, 08:48:06 PM »

2003 version was better

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2021, 08:55:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

True story: Fincher’s version had Tony Trujillo as Tony Alva, and Alex Olson as Jay Adams.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2021, 09:01:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I remember thinking Paranoid Park incorporated skating in a way that felt genuine and not cringey. Wonder if Gus Van Sant can kickturn
[close]

Skating plays a role in this GVS movie too:

[close]

He was also an executive producer on Kids. Love me some GVS.

Way back in the day before he even started directing, Gus was a production assistant on one of those skate  movies that came out during the 1970s skate boom

It was either “Skateboard: The Movie” or “Skateboard Kings”

Gus is one of the all time greats for sure.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2021, 09:16:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

True story: Fincher’s version had Tony Trujillo as Tony Alva, and Alex Olson as Jay Adams.

Hah That’s a big age disparity between those two.   Hopefully Baca would be Alva

Didn’t Nuge play Shogo Kubo?

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2021, 09:55:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Hah That’s a big age disparity between those two.   Hopefully Baca would be Alva

Didn’t Nuge play Shogo Kubo?

pre Toy Machine flow / Girl AM Olson too. Still went by the name Alex Parker.

In Bloom era TNT

Ya Nuge played Shogo and made a ton of money. He shows up quite a bit in the film, so I’m sure those residual checks are pretty nice haha.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2021, 10:17:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

For a writer to get credit, Writers Guild arbitration has to rule that an additional writer contributed 10% of original material to the script.  Script doctors and punch-up writers are rarely credited (I’m sure they mostly like to keep it that way because of the quality of things they are brought on to to sweeten) but they get good pay for like 4 weeks of work at a time.   The sweet gigs are the people brought in to punch up already shot movies.   They get paid a pretty penny just to watch the footage. 

It’s Stacy’s story and it’s based on true events so I’m sure he had some level of control about not bringing in a new writer and what not and since it’s a true story there aren’t the typical screenwriter shenanigans where they arbitrarily change the names of characters and things like that in order to have “created” more things.

Also, if anyone’s curious “&” means the writers wrote together while “and” means a new writer was brought on.

There's also a thing called "separation of rights" that is given writers who get "written by" or "story by" on theatrical productions ("created by" on tv productions) which accords them guild-mandated benefits and, often, contractually-obligated rights and monies (and it's obviously more lucrative to get sole separated rights than to share it).
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

There's also a thing called "separation of rights" that is given writers who get "written by" or "story by" on theatrical productions ("created by" on tv productions) which accords them guild-mandated benefits and, often, contractually-obligated rights and monies (and it's obviously more lucrative to get sole separated rights than to share it).

Michael Crichton made so much money for “creating” ER.  The story is in that CAA book, but it basically was a pilot he wrote in the 80s that no one cared about.  Some agents in the 90s wanted to try again because he was Uber hot shit at the time and he agreed on the condition he wouldn’t do any work on it.  They agreed, found some people to clean it up and he made a many millions of pretty pennies

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2021, 10:38:22 PM »
On the one hand I don't trust the judgement of someone who paid to watch this, on the other hand of course it's terrible

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2021, 10:46:54 PM »
Yeah, Crichton did well for himself, that's for sure. Was probably set off his novels.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2021, 12:18:36 AM »
From an objective point of view, the trailer looks promising. Don't really know what Illegal Civ is. I've tried watching a video and turned it off after 5 minutes of helmeted kids with a monotone narrator. I think I'm just too old and uncool to understand.

A few things look strange. It wonder how the mid-century aesthetic, which is clearly deliberate, fits into the plot. Also, kids this age can't possibly be high school. And if the story is autobiographical, the story would seem more compelling with a black protagonist.

HeapsCool

• Rep: -172
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2021, 12:37:58 AM »
Hey anyone got any more info on this Jonah Hill/Spike Jonze beef? I can't seem to find any info on either of their wikipedia pages. In fact, Mikey Alfred isn't mentioned on their wikipedias at all?!

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2021, 12:50:33 AM »
Hey anyone got any more info on this Jonah Hill/Spike Jonze beef? I can't seem to find any info on either of their wikipedia pages. In fact, Mikey Alfred isn't mentioned on their wikipedias at all?!

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/10/mid90s-illegal-civ-mikey-alfred-jonah-hill-spike-jonze-not-fans

"That's a long story"

Sounds like some buster shit. I could only listen to this guy talk for, like, two minutes.

Edit: that doritos vid is hilarious. And his use of the word "apex" lol. I still kind of wish I'd never heard of him though.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:59:55 AM by EdLawndale »

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2021, 04:29:13 AM »
I'll pay someone $20 to send me a pirated link

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2021, 05:43:35 AM »
Just going to repost this wonderful gem

Legit thought this was satire until like half way through the video. What an insufferable human being.

Pango

• Rep: -30
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2021, 06:18:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Legit thought this was satire until like half way through the video. What an insufferable human being.

Can this dude even kickflip tho?;?!

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 697
  • Free Max B
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2021, 06:20:29 AM »
no

free max b
FREE MAX B

nickpaolucci

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2021, 06:27:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Can this dude even kickflip tho?;?!

no

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2021, 06:42:13 AM »

Wow somehow we found a more insufferable human than blodney, impressive.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2021, 07:30:46 AM »
So the 'Carlton' of skateboarding has made a fan fic of himself as a white skater becoming pro? 

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2021, 10:01:41 AM »
Double...triple down on it.....

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2239
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2021, 10:18:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I mean... THAT’s really saying something, too.
Wasn’t this guy a major contender for SLAP’s KOTY honors last year?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 801
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2021, 10:21:51 AM »
this dude is such a cornball and makes it hard to take anyone associated with Illegal Civ seriously, no matter how good of a skater they are.  Its like they're tainted.  This guy is just using skateboarding as a stepping stone onto something more lucrative.  Hustle culture + massive narcissism gave us this cancer. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2021, 10:27:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I mean... THAT’s really saying something, too.
Wasn’t this guy a major contender for SLAP’s KOTY honors last year?

I’d say it’s a tie

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2021, 10:42:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/10/mid90s-illegal-civ-mikey-alfred-jonah-hill-spike-jonze-not-fans

"That's a long story"

Sounds like some buster shit. I could only listen to this guy talk for, like, two minutes.

Edit: that doritos vid is hilarious. And his use of the word "apex" lol. I still kind of wish I'd never heard of him though.

Many that's shitty, I knew he was involved in Mid 90's from a production standpoint and definitely assumed Jonah brought him on basically to help him break into the industry (which if i remember correctly his mother works for a major studio and he got an internship at like 16 with one) but what a prick. Not to defend jonah hill but he definitely did not need to do this dude any favors by giving him an opportunity. As if anyone in this movie wouldn't have taken the opportunity without Mikey Alfraud (copyright pending) doing the casting.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2021, 11:11:31 AM »
I just read this entire thread and I still don't know what it's about.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2021, 11:42:43 AM »
Mikey is pretty corny. Never seen anyone other than Mikey or the models in IC shoots wear that wack clothing. Maybe sometimes the riders do...but not really.

I get the impression Mikey thinks he knows better and is cooler than everyone. Thats likely the cause of his "beef" with Spike and Jonah. Guys let him shadow them, and then he got pissed probably when he was trying to give them ideas for their own project. Vets like Spike and Jonah ain't gonna listen to some rookie like Mikey. Looks at his infantile brand and productions.

Definitely blasting some negativity on him but damn. Good job for putting in the work towards brand and production but kid expects everyone to pat him on the ass and say "atta boy." Dude needs to spend more time outside his friend group.
The chillest1