Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547047 times)

satan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #601 on: December 26, 2019, 10:06:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
who are some pros that ride big boards? footy looks so good on them ;D
off the top of my head im thinking winkowski, franky villani, nick boserio, dane brady, and GT. anyone im missing?
gonna be making a compilation vid
[close]

By GT you mean Grant Taylor? I always thought he just rides a regular 8.25
[close]

Boserio is back on 8.25 and Ace 44. He's over the big board stage apparently haha.

Someone on here was given one of GT's old setups, it was an 8.5 with 149 and 52's.

Ducky skates 8.75's - can't really think of anyone else.

I’d love a whole thread of this: what the pros ride.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #602 on: December 26, 2019, 10:24:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
off the top of my head im thinking winkowski, franky villani, nick boserio, dane brady, and GT. anyone im missing?
[close]

[close]

Boserio is back on 8.25 and Ace 44. He's over the big board stage apparently haha.

Someone on here was given one of GT's old setups, it was an 8.5 with 149 and 52's.

[close]

Theres one in UWT, I'd love to see it take off tho.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #603 on: December 26, 2019, 10:49:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

thats a huge bummer
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #604 on: December 27, 2019, 01:01:32 AM »
satan, I think the Lib Tech Rat Tail might work for you apart from the wheelbase which is way longer at 15”. Someone here had one and really liked it. It was super light too for such a big board. I think it was on par in weight to a normal 8” board or something. Some light trucks on that and you’ll be chilling with a light big boi!  :)

https://www.lib-tech.com/rat-tail

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #605 on: December 27, 2019, 01:22:58 AM »
Ive been doing some research...my biggest issue is i dont like a big nose, especially when its bigger than the tail.

I wasn’t even looking at Polar but after reading a bunch of posts on here, i have to say the 1992 shape looks promising, looks nice and balanced from a dimensions perspective.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #606 on: December 27, 2019, 04:31:48 AM »
Got a Quasi jhonson 9" a couple of days ago. Set it up with Ace 44. Really liked the short wheelbase with aces. What I dont like is the lack of steepness in the tail. It pops way to soon for my taste. Put 1/8" risers on to get get nicer pop, it helped a bit but still not great.
Next I mounted thunder 149 standards, maybe a little bit better than aces with risers in terms of pop but the turn is not satisfactory after 5 months on aces. Gonna give risers a try with the thunders to se if i can get a deep enough turn. If that dosent work ill make a cruiser of it come summer time.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #607 on: December 27, 2019, 02:55:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Danny Dicola 9.25 slave
CK1 cardiel 9.18
Raney beres cardiel
BA Grosso 9.5
Marcel Martinez 10.5 scram
Simon banneroot couch 9.25 girl
Stu Graham 9.12-9.25 creature
Willis Kimball creature
Ricky Oyola on traffic slappy theories 9.25
Dan drehobl 9.25 krooked
Ben raybourn Powell reissues 10”
Ducky 9” pizza
Tfunk baker 9.25”
Heroin Frank Shaw 9.25”
Fancy villani 9.12 primitive
These guys might also ride other shapes
But pretty sure everyone on Scram, black label, welcome, frog, polar, creature, Santa Cruz, madness, has a big boy setup. And all the old school guys like Gonz, Duane and dressen ride wide shit

satan

« Reply #608 on: December 27, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/ericdressen/

Pretty sure Dressen rides a popsicle or his 8.59" "shaped" deck. I never see him riding an old shape unless he's promoting something. Maybe I'm not paying attention as well as I should be? Dude's not super huge either, look at the size of his shoes compared to the width of his board.

Don't tfunk and the rest of the kids usually have a quiver? Regular board, bigger stuff board, hammer time?
Also don't think franky is always riding an egg
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 05:52:00 PM by satan »

satan

« Reply #609 on: December 27, 2019, 08:18:11 PM »
satan, I think the Lib Tech Rat Tail might work for you apart from the wheelbase which is way longer at 15”. Someone here had one and really liked it. It was super light too for such a big board. I think it was on par in weight to a normal 8” board or something. Some light trucks on that and you’ll be chilling with a light big boi!  :)

https://www.lib-tech.com/rat-tail
Man! I thought you were trolling me with libtech but I actually like that shape, money bumps and all. But, yeah, 15" wb would be huge for me

satan

« Reply #610 on: December 27, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »
Ive been doing some research...my biggest issue is i dont like a big nose, especially when its bigger than the tail.

I wasn’t even looking at Polar but after reading a bunch of posts on here, i have to say the 1992 shape looks promising, looks nice and balanced from a dimensions perspective.
Nose smaller than the tail? There's lotsa 80's reissues out there, I think most are on modern (double kick) concave. Powell, Santa Cruz, va va v v va v Vision! Um, and lotsa other old school stuff
For non reisssue there's the Alltimers Fossil Gang and Frog Milac decks. Look like the same shape to me so I'm guessing it's a generic BBS/Generator cruiser shape. I filed this one under redrill the nose longer..
Zero 9.5" cruiser shape looks nice, like the small wb, don't wanna give lamie money
Probably more but those 2-3 come to mind

https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/old-school/decks/
https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/decks/

https://sk8supply.com/pages/decks

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #611 on: December 27, 2019, 10:17:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Nose smaller than the tail? There's lotsa 80's reissues out there, I think most are on modern (double kick) concave. Powell, Santa Cruz, va va v v va v Vision! Um, and lotsa other old school stuff
For non reisssue there's the Alltimers Fossil Gang and Frog Milac decks. Look like the same shape to me so I'm guessing it's a generic BBS/Generator cruiser shape. I filed this one under redrill the nose longer..
Zero 9.5" cruiser shape looks nice, like the small wb, don't wanna give lamie money

Maybe also check out the Theories Special Delivery shape. Tail is 6.625, nose is 6.375 with a 14.25wb. 9x31.5 overall so you can still post it in here too lol. Lots of cool graphics on that shape too.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #613 on: December 28, 2019, 08:51:22 PM »
I wish the zero twos would still be around

PMA

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #614 on: December 28, 2019, 09:20:03 PM »
Man! I thought you were trolling me with libtech but I actually like that shape, money bumps and all. But, yeah, 15" wb would be huge for me

The nose is the same length as the tail, so I just drilled it back 3/8" to get a bigger nose and shorter wheelbase.  I'm now rocking a 14.625 wheelbase with aces and it is super fun.  Very crisp and poppy.  And it weighs within a few grams of my 8.06" Real, and less then every other 8.25+ board I have.

I am running Ace 66s, but a set up with a set of Indy 169 Ti would end up super light for a big boy.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 09:23:19 PM by backinaction »

sammyz

« Reply #615 on: December 28, 2019, 10:43:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ok found the perfect deck...in fact im finding more and more Anti Hero decks that i like dimensions of...never a brand that I really got into, but now that i have one, im finding more! Anyway...the Grosso seems perfect

9.25 x 32.9 x 15.5 and same length nose and tail 6.75

satan

« Reply #616 on: December 29, 2019, 01:52:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ok found the perfect deck...in fact im finding more and more Anti Hero decks that i like dimensions of...never a brand that I really got into, but now that i have one, im finding more! Anyway...the Grosso seems perfect

That's a sick shape. It always catches my eye and then I look at the wb. Jesus! Vert board. If I rode the combi would this be a good setup for me? Then I come back to reality and say that's never gonna happen even though I'm less than 2hrs away. And I skate street, suck on ramp.. then I get stoned.. think about redrilling, say that's crazy and move onto the next shape

Do you like big wheelbases too?
Have you looked at Black Label, Creature, Blood Wizard, or Madness?
What else? Scram has some crazy shapes

satan

« Reply #617 on: December 29, 2019, 02:00:08 AM »

That Tom Knox Rent-A-Cop deck was my 1st deck back in 1991..
I was gonna say that's a really cool first board. And do you remember if the nose felt kinda wide/full?
But THAT graphic for a kid's first board? That's either hilarious and coolest parent ever, or a lil disturbing.
Almost as disturbing as ^dude's face and that double grab stinkbug. Almost..
Seriously though. Really cool first board.

sammyz

« Reply #618 on: December 29, 2019, 02:14:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
That's a sick shape. It always catches my eye and then I look at the wb. Jesus! Vert board. If I rode the combi would this be a good setup for me? Then I come back to reality and say that's never gonna happen even though I'm less than 2hrs away. And I skate street, suck on ramp.. then I get stoned.. think about redrilling, say that's crazy and move onto the next shape

I mainly skate street too, I'm trying to get back into skating pools and vert. but I'm also a big guy so even my street decks are wide and 14.5 minimum WB. I remember back in the late 80's when I started skating, I read in transworld (or someone told me...its too long ago to correctly remember) that your wheelbase should match your shoulder width as thats the most comfortable position for your feet.

also, would love to get a blood wizard, problem with a lot of decks is I live in Australia so we get a limited supply of decks and models. the Black Label ones are cool...I especially like the their 8.88 wide curb vulture or lucero X2...but technically, I can't speak of anything under 9 here  ;)

Just tonight Santa Cruz put up a 40% sale on their decks and they have a reissue of Tom Knox discord deck - that thing is very tempting too. Early 90's reissue, so more nose that 80's and more useable, but 9.9 wide...not sure I want to go over 9.25 wide

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 116
« Reply #619 on: December 29, 2019, 11:42:43 AM »
The BA shape AH is very similar to the Grosso shape but with a 14 3/8" wb. 

I haven't seen that BA shape out for awhile though. 

I think someone on here posted about it.  Maybe the DLX thread. 
Enjoy your life.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #620 on: December 29, 2019, 02:10:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I mainly skate street too, I'm trying to get back into skating pools and vert. but I'm also a big guy so even my street decks are wide and 14.5 minimum WB. I remember back in the late 80's when I started skating, I read in transworld (or someone told me...its too long ago to correctly remember) that your wheelbase should match your shoulder width as thats the most comfortable position for your feet.

also, would love to get a blood wizard, problem with a lot of decks is I live in Australia so we get a limited supply of decks and models. the Black Label ones are cool...I especially like the their 8.88 wide curb vulture or lucero X2...but technically, I can't speak of anything under 9 here  ;)

Just tonight Santa Cruz put up a 40% sale on their decks and they have a reissue of Tom Knox discord deck - that thing is very tempting too. Early 90's reissue, so more nose that 80's and more useable, but 9.9 wide...not sure I want to go over 9.25 wide

Where’d you find that sale? I have been eyeballing the discord since it was reissued.

I like the Cruz miss Le concave and the shape seems very functional

PMA

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #621 on: December 29, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »
Anybody get one of those new deal reissues? The Siamese and Danny sarge look sick. Nice and short. Wonder what size trucks are needed?
I’d love to get a late 80s/early 90s shape, like short boards. 8.5” is usually my truck limit.

sammyz

« Reply #622 on: December 29, 2019, 04:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Where’d you find that sale? I have been eyeballing the discord since it was reissued.

I like the Cruz miss Le concave and the shape seems very functional

Its santa cruz Australia only...they put a code up on IG

satan

« Reply #623 on: December 29, 2019, 09:22:18 PM »
sammyz.
When I saw your first post I wanted to say that it sounded like you might like a 1990 shape.
New Deal reissues are all from 1990? The wtf shapes look cool too and they're made by PS stix. Nice mix of shapes and wb.
H-street has pricey reissues but I think they use the old bolt pattern. G&S? think both these are Watson wood.
Prime/World Industries
Deathwish? Think the wb is sort
Heroin? Longer wb.. I like the tony hawk shape. Same distro as baker/deathwish (in US)

I never thought about availability in Oz. I guess that rules out a bunch of smaller brands cuz no distribution/importer there.

I love that old Knox graphic. Shape looks nice too, but not sure how old that board is, may have came out a few years ago.
Lil wider overall might not bug me since it's only a smallish section that wide. I'd want the width in back to be flush with my axle/wheels or the deck slightly wider, and not too much magic carpet ride up front. And I wanna run 159's
NHS boards are made by DSM, China wood. I like the R7 epoxy stuff, some ppl hate it.
You're riding antihero now? Do you like the concave, kicks, pop, flex?
BBS usually has a slight dish/concave to their noses and tails, it's kinda like the 80's triple kick tails with the dog ears. I can feel it when I'm riding and it helps me gauge where my foot is on the tail. DSM is completely flat after the kicks, more like a 90's deck.

Have you looked at the woodshop thread and nerded out on woodshops?

I keep forgetting about that BA shape. Wb might be livable for me. Putting it on the list. Thanks

sammyz

« Reply #624 on: December 30, 2019, 02:13:19 PM »
Thanks for all the info and advice Satan. (Thats a sentence I’ve always wanted to use!)

Yeah you’re right its the early 90’s shapes that i dig, i use to ride HStreet for a while back in the day and always liked the shapes and noses on those. Learnt most of my flip and spinning tricks on those decks. But i never got into nose grinds or slides, or switch for that matter, so i get the new shaped boards are accomodating for all those tricks, but i have no need for it and i find a big nose a little off putting. In fact I have mainly ridden popsicles backwards too and use the bigger nose as the tail.

Anyway enough of my bullshit skating backstory. Yeah I skated my first anti hero deck last night...and i have to admit i really liked it, the kick thing you mentioned makes sense, i did notice i didnt have to look at my backfoot for ollie placement, i could definitely feel it more than on any santa cruz deck ive had.

Also like you i dont want magic carpet on a 159, all those old decks tapered at the trucks so we rode 159’s...and there was a small amount of overhang, but that was helpful for flips.

I got my OJ Super Juice wheels yesterday so i set this up for the meantime...im gonna chill on buying a deck for a bit, but that Grosso or something from black label might end up being the go to...tbh the Grosso shape looks exactly like the 8.8 Lucero shape...he probably borrowed that on his way out!

animalflesh

« Reply #625 on: December 30, 2019, 04:14:42 PM »

Two I’ve got in the rafters right now

-Doubles Ltd 9.1 90s shape
-Heroin 9.2 football shape

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #626 on: December 30, 2019, 04:57:59 PM »

what kind of skating are you going for on that heroin? had it on my list of shapes to try but the wb is a bit concerning
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sammyz

« Reply #627 on: December 30, 2019, 05:28:23 PM »

on the heroin, what does it taper to over the trucks?

this is one heroin deck that I like the look of...

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #628 on: December 30, 2019, 07:18:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Go skate the combi!

I skated the park with the reverse combi last year and dropped in padless, rolled around and hit tile at least. I can’t skate big pools for shit but carve around and get a scratch in here and there but it was worth it to tick it off the list.

satan

« Reply #629 on: December 30, 2019, 07:33:34 PM »
Reverse combi is at the newer HB park? Is the Block park gonna stay open and stay free? Or it dead already?

I've skated the nude but it's not like I got any, kickturns and carves, my friend.. drop into the combi? Sure, swallow end..
Problem is my one leg is so jacked I probably can't run out of anything, and trying to do so could destroy my leg. I'm fucked like that..
But, yeah. Always wanted to roll around the combi just for the experience. I'm old enough to remember Upland but only saw it in mags/vids.