Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797904 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3780 on: May 14, 2021, 03:53:04 PM »
I need to get some wheels for some kids learning how to skate (6 year old) that are somewhere in between a cruiser wheel and a hard wheel. they basically skate on this terrible parking lot next to their house.

Should I get them SML Big Dreams 92a in 54 or Mini Logo 53 90a?  or does it not really matter at that age.

and are the SML Coffee Cruisers worth checking out? (for myself)

Mini Logo hybrids 90a, great for the price.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #3781 on: May 14, 2021, 04:58:10 PM »
Been digging my satori 54mm conicals but they feel pretty heavy, which makes sense.

Down to get more Satori wheels but might get a different wheel shape.
The chillest1

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #3782 on: May 16, 2021, 07:56:00 PM »
I need to get some wheels for some kids learning how to skate (6 year old) that are somewhere in between a cruiser wheel and a hard wheel. they basically skate on this terrible parking lot next to their house.

Should I get them SML Big Dreams 92a in 54 or Mini Logo 53 90a?  or does it not really matter at that age.

I recently bought the coffee cruisers in 52. they are amazing. I set them up on one of my 8” street boards for crusty spots. they obviously don’t slide, but they roll over anything, and are the perfect size to still flip your board on the shitty ground. they have an asymmetrical shape to them, like spitfire lock-ins.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #3783 on: May 22, 2021, 12:55:07 PM »
Been digging my satori 54mm conicals but they feel pretty heavy, which makes sense.

Down to get more Satori wheels but might get a different wheel shape.

They're CU, so if you like that formula you can always try something in the same duro from like dialtone/nikired/orbs/prize fighter etc. I really like the prize fighter shape, it's like a classic profile but the width of a conical full. Kind of gives you the best of both worlds, and as a bonus PFC is a really awesome small east coast company (the kind that I'm always down to support). Plus I'm pretty sure if you post a DOA with prize fighters on it in the setup thread it's like a mandatory minimum of 5 gnars.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3784 on: May 22, 2021, 01:11:36 PM »
Need some opinions/feedback/insight from the wheel nerd crowd. Between my commute and spending the majority of my free time at work skating in a parking lot thats exposed to the lovely Pittsburgh winters, I skate a lot of crust. Even though F4 99a is still my gold standard, over the last year or so I've started to experiment with slightly softer duros (95-97a) and it definitely makes a difference in both comfort and speed.

Right now I'm skating the 95a NFG crust formula in the square shape which is the best softer wheel I've tried, but I'm thinking of grabbing something a little wider just to really be able to plow through the piles of rock salt and pebbles. What insight/feedback do you guys have on:

- Spitfire F4 97a formula - The conical fulls are popping up all over the place (and then quickly selling out) and 54mm conical full 99a is the mark against which I measure all other wheels. Do they slide like an f4 99a?

- OJ nomad 95a elite - OJ makes the best price point wheel in my opinion (from concentrate) and I really like the hardline shape.

- Slime Balls 97a - I have a set of the creature/OJ bloodsuckers in 56mm hardline. I don't know if these are the same formula or not, but if they are then that's a definite plus since I know that one slides well and handles rough terrain well. I know these are kind of a very mildly asymmetrical conical which caught my eye.

Most important thing for me is the slide... if I need something for just straight cruising then I've got mini logo hybrids. The NFG formula slides almost perfectly but the next run of 95a V cuts won't be out until the fall according to their indiegogo. If the 97a F4 has even like 85% of the 99a's slideability then I'm leaning towards those, but if they're sticky then I'll probably go slimeball since those seem to be a fairly safe bet. Nomads are a wildcard but I am curious about them.

Thanks nerds (and I use that as a term of respect and endearment). 

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3785 on: May 22, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
@Buttfart Rapedick the Spit 97s slide like F4s, 100%. Been back and forth between my 56 Conical Full 97s and my 54 Tablet 99s and the difference in slide is minimal. The 97s are grippier and take slightly more effort to break into a slide, but once you're in it they have that same smooth feeling and bark.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3786 on: May 22, 2021, 03:37:56 PM »
Need some opinions/feedback/insight from the wheel nerd crowd. Between my commute and spending the majority of my free time at work skating in a parking lot thats exposed to the lovely Pittsburgh winters, I skate a lot of crust. Even though F4 99a is still my gold standard, over the last year or so I've started to experiment with slightly softer duros (95-97a) and it definitely makes a difference in both comfort and speed.

Right now I'm skating the 95a NFG crust formula in the square shape which is the best softer wheel I've tried, but I'm thinking of grabbing something a little wider just to really be able to plow through the piles of rock salt and pebbles. What insight/feedback do you guys have on:

- Spitfire F4 97a formula - The conical fulls are popping up all over the place (and then quickly selling out) and 54mm conical full 99a is the mark against which I measure all other wheels. Do they slide like an f4 99a?

- OJ nomad 95a elite - OJ makes the best price point wheel in my opinion (from concentrate) and I really like the hardline shape.

- Slime Balls 97a - I have a set of the creature/OJ bloodsuckers in 56mm hardline. I don't know if these are the same formula or not, but if they are then that's a definite plus since I know that one slides well and handles rough terrain well. I know these are kind of a very mildly asymmetrical conical which caught my eye.

Most important thing for me is the slide... if I need something for just straight cruising then I've got mini logo hybrids. The NFG formula slides almost perfectly but the next run of 95a V cuts won't be out until the fall according to their indiegogo. If the 97a F4 has even like 85% of the 99a's slideability then I'm leaning towards those, but if they're sticky then I'll probably go slimeball since those seem to be a fairly safe bet. Nomads are a wildcard but I am curious about them.

Thanks nerds (and I use that as a term of respect and endearment).

Honestly, I can’t compare to F4s, but the Slime Ball 97as I have aren’t stick at all. Feels like you’re skating a 99a except now the ride is subtly smoother and pebbles aren’t a big deal.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1494
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #3787 on: May 23, 2021, 09:00:17 AM »
I don't know if this has already been posted, but I just wanted to put this out there for those who are NFG supporters, too.

I'd like to see these guys thrive and crowdfunding where you actually get product in return is different from a gofundme where you just hand people money.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/high-performance-skateboard-wheels-by-nfgmfg#/

I do wonder why it takes significantly longer for them to manufacture their popular 95a formulation. Secret sauce?

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #3788 on: May 23, 2021, 08:03:01 PM »
Has anyone tried some of the new Ricta wheels? 52-54mm in the 99-101a range? Thoughts?
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3789 on: May 23, 2021, 09:10:44 PM »
thought the NFG 95a was noticeably slower than the F4 97a, which makes sense as the spits are obviously harder.
But it was also the NFG Vee shape, super wide contact patch, versus the F4 97a classic shape. But the spits take rough ground so well even still.

Interesting. I'm still trying to decide whether to get the 97a spits or slimeballs. If they had a 53 conical full 97a f4 it would probably make the decision for me, even though 54mm is what I consider my "standard" wheel I've been skating low trucks more frequently so I'm a bit more wary of size right now. Obviously I can't speak for the 97 spits, but the 95A NFG squares seem to be as fast or faster than a 99a tablet in my usual shitty rough cracked lot.

Honestly, I can’t compare to F4s, but the Slime Ball 97as I have aren’t stick at all. Feels like you’re skating a 99a except now the ride is subtly smoother and pebbles aren’t a big deal.

Sounds like its probably the same as the OJ/Creature formula then. That's a plus. I don't skate mine all that often because they're 56mm and black/red swirl is pretty ugly on a lot of setups, but every time I do it reminds me how much I like them. They're the unquestioned october/november acorn crushing champions too.

ML has a newer hybrid formula thats 95a. It's a little less cruiser-y than the 90s which feel like you're skating on bouncy balls. They do somewhat slide (the 90s are super sticky) but it takes quite a bit of effort. None of that really matters if the kids are just going to be pushing around a lot and not doing tricks, so I'd probably just get whatever you can find cheapest at your local.

Is Satori poured by Creative? I've been skating some for the past month and a half and they are performing very good, like surprisingly good.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How are waywards and Portland wheel company’s ?

I heard good things about wayward but I feel since I’m good with bones why even try another wheel when they’re bones
[close]

This is an old one, but looking for any other feedback on PWC (other than being made at Creative, are they still?)

I just ordered a set of REALLY wide 55mms. Should be here tomorrow. Realizing a wider wheel on mini ramp is a good idea for control purposes. I think they're 25.5mm contact!!
https://www.unheardpdx.com/james-martin-55mm/
[close]

PWC = good dudes, very average wheels. I'd love to support them but after riding F4s, I just can't. You'll likey get a solid set of wheel but the won't be as fast, durable or flat spot resistant as an F4/ Bones.

Satori and PWC are both creative. They aren't as good as F4 but I'd still class them as well above average. I have some PWC and Jivaro (same distro and probably same formulas/molds) and they're miles ahead of what I'd consider baseline (ML 101a or bones 100 would be an average wheel in my book). I think I'd probably describe them as a better version of the spitfire classic formula.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3790 on: May 23, 2021, 09:51:11 PM »
Sounds like its probably the same as the OJ/Creature formula then. That's a plus. I don't skate mine all that often because they're 56mm and black/red swirl is pretty ugly on a lot of setups, but every time I do it reminds me how much I like them. They're the unquestioned october/november acorn crushing champions too.

Santa Cruz owns Slimeball and Creature iirc. Would make sense. I got 53mm white ones to avoid setup clash and wheel bite. I have some mini logo A cut 2s in 58mm coming tomorrow. Got high ventures to accommodate my girth though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #3791 on: May 23, 2021, 11:09:27 PM »
I think F4's will be available in a 95 this year...

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -769
« Reply #3792 on: May 24, 2021, 12:12:02 AM »

Amazing
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #3793 on: May 24, 2021, 12:43:56 AM »

The lowering of duros in skate wheels is a great indicator for the decline of US infrastructure.

I predict that in 10 years we will be hitting up longboarders for their old 78as.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3794 on: May 24, 2021, 03:05:47 AM »
I don't know if this has already been posted, but I just wanted to put this out there for those who are NFG supporters, too.

I'd like to see these guys thrive and crowdfunding where you actually get product in return is different from a gofundme where you just hand people money.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/high-performance-skateboard-wheels-by-nfgmfg#/

I do wonder why it takes significantly longer for them to manufacture their popular 95a formulation. Secret sauce?

The more posts, hopefully the more awareness and more interest.

From the look of it, things have been flat out and they just don't have the time or the setup to handle two different formulas at the same time, hence only doing their standard hard wheel as much as they can and needing crowdfunding to get things happening, as well as getting a feel for how much interest there is for a 95 formula wheel as well.

I would imagine that they would sell out of everything they make easily enough, but if they made way too few or way too many of the softer wheel, there would be issues either way.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3795 on: May 24, 2021, 07:05:30 AM »
About 5 months before the pandemic Bones was working on a new 95a DTF (Ditch tech formula). They sent out samples and people raved about them and they were supposed to land about a year ago. Then Covid. Once they get manufacturing back full steam I would expect to see them.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3796 on: May 24, 2021, 07:32:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The lowering of duros in skate wheels is a great indicator for the decline of US infrastructure.

I predict that in 10 years we will be hitting up longboarders for their old 78as.
What’s fucked up is this is almost feasible in Small Town America. Mine is fantastic. Topped a few big lists of best small towns to live in. Our main roads are legit 70% crust though. I dropped to 97a and I can comfortable skate the sidewalks now at least. On asphalt though my feet go numb from the rumbling.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #3797 on: May 24, 2021, 09:22:24 AM »
Small town USA?  How about San Fran? 

Re Powell: I emailed Powell at least 5 years ago about ditch tech and George actually sent me out wheels to try, they were too soft, I think it was the rough rider formula cut into a regular shape.  After I gave feedback, he sent me the 81b park formulas. 

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #3798 on: May 24, 2021, 09:33:41 AM »
About 5 months before the pandemic Bones was working on a new 95a DTF (Ditch tech formula). They sent out samples and people raved about them and they were supposed to land about a year ago. Then Covid. Once they get manufacturing back full steam I would expect to see them.

I hope this is true, DTFs were the shit

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3799 on: May 24, 2021, 09:56:54 AM »
@Buttfart Rapedick i sold @Sundaynuggets my 54mm VEE 95a NFG wheels and he's been sliding on them a bunch, he says. Maybe he can chime in some more on that - and compared to 97a I think he's rode too.

Did find TOO MUCH of a benefit with the 95a over 97a from my limited usage and small selection of spots/pavement.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3800 on: May 24, 2021, 10:43:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.skateone.com/forum/discussion/comment/48037#Comment_48037

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3801 on: May 24, 2021, 10:54:25 AM »
Small town USA?  How about San Fran? 

Re Powell: I emailed Powell at least 5 years ago about ditch tech and George actually sent me out wheels to try, they were too soft, I think it was the rough rider formula cut into a regular shape.  After I gave feedback, he sent me the 81b park formulas.
That’s rad. To answer your question, I imagine if my podunk little Burgh can’t keep up, San Fran is but fucked. Maybe if they stopped chasing homeless people and started teaching them to pave it’d all be swell.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #3802 on: May 24, 2021, 07:49:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The more posts, hopefully the more awareness and more interest.

From the look of it, things have been flat out and they just don't have the time or the setup to handle two different formulas at the same time, hence only doing their standard hard wheel as much as they can and needing crowdfunding to get things happening, as well as getting a feel for how much interest there is for a 95 formula wheel as well.

I would imagine that they would sell out of everything they make easily enough, but if they made way too few or way too many of the softer wheel, there would be issues either way.

I work in the chemical industry and right now is the worst time to be cash strapped. Lead times are the longest I’ve ever seen and prices on raw material is way up along with transit cost. I feel for them but they have a lot of things working against them.

As for soft wheels that is all I ride now cause it’s easier on my joints and feet. I’ve been riding the following on my Dane 1:

58 mm key frames. Awesome wheel but slow. For a 87 duro you still feel somewhat connected to the ground and they power slide really well. Buy good bearings for this wheel and you will have fun. Doesn’t chip.

54 mm sml wheels Succulent Dreams 92 duro. @cliff this wheel is so much fun and it doesn’t feel much slower than my F4 99 duro. Slide is fine. Can’t slide on a ledge too far but power slides no problem. I have even run on a popsicle deck and barely noticed I was on a cruiser wheel. Also doesn’t chip.

My personal thought is that 97a is too similar to 99a.

I think 95a is the old school sweet spot. But I have not run that duro in 30 years. I may just get the sml 92a in 56 mm if they make it in white. That or OJ Nomads 95a if they make a 56-58 mm. Right now it looks like 54mm is the biggest.

Since I will probably only skate Dane 1s for the foreseeable future I believe 56-58 mm 92a-95a is the ideal wheel for me.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3803 on: May 24, 2021, 08:07:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

https://www.skateone.com/forum/discussion/comment/48037#Comment_48037

DTF were amazing wheels and I might even still have the set I used to commute to work around 2005, an easy ride for the few kms / miles from free parking near Paddo skatepark into the CBD and the skate shop job.

I recall they were soft enough to absorb all the bumps and could still slide over bitumen / asphalt easily, but was so surprised when I was sliding on a wet patch as they slipped out so quickly, so whatever went into them was so very different from any other wheel I have ever skated.

Something like this, not the same graphic though

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3804 on: May 25, 2021, 09:04:31 AM »
Went from bones 103a spf to spitfire classic f4 101s. First attempts at nose slides on a ledge I usually blast right through have not gone well so far. User error?

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #3805 on: May 25, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »
Went from bones 103a spf to spitfire classic f4 101s. First attempts at nose slides on a ledge I usually blast right through have not gone well so far. User error?
F4s cannot be blamed for unsatisfactory noseslide results.

Speedlabs, my friends, are good wheels. I have some 101As with Bronson G3s, and they are fast as hell on concrete.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3806 on: May 25, 2021, 10:33:33 AM »
Anybody seen those Natas OJs in 95a and 58mm?Total old guy bait but I’d stick my hand in that trap to grab em out.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #3807 on: May 25, 2021, 12:29:13 PM »
Anybody seen those Natas OJs in 95a and 58mm?Total old guy bait but I’d stick my hand in that trap to grab em out.

Yup. I rode 97a creature wheels out of nostalgia and they sucked. They were dry, rough and slow. I even e-mailed NHS to ask what was wrong. I think the elite formula is fine but the regular formula is terrible. I love the shape and size of those Natas wheels but I think I’ll stick with Keyframes.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3808 on: May 25, 2021, 04:28:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup. I rode 97a creature wheels out of nostalgia and they sucked. They were dry, rough and slow. I even e-mailed NHS to ask what was wrong. I think the elite formula is fine but the regular formula is terrible. I love the shape and size of those Natas wheels but I think I’ll stick with Keyframes.

The 'from concentrate' or regular OJs are fucking terrible. Elite urethane only if you have to ride the juice.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3809 on: May 25, 2021, 04:34:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The 'from concentrate' or regular OJs are fucking terrible. Elite urethane only if you have to ride the juice.
Until these posts, I didn't realize there was a difference within OJs lineup. When I saw them the other day, I tried to figure out if they were the same formula as the Nomads but figured if they were, they would say so. Wonder why they didn't use the Elite 95a? Authenticity?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.