Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 545662 times)

slappy50

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #360 on: October 27, 2019, 08:38:22 PM »
Is 9.56 and 159 too magic carpet or should it be ok, I am getting 159s for versatility but wanna try the green giant from anti hero. Opinions?
niggling

[/quote]

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #361 on: October 27, 2019, 09:05:07 PM »
Is 9.56 and 159 too magic carpet or should it be ok, I am getting 159s for versatility but wanna try the green giant from anti hero. Opinions?

It might work if you tighten your trucks hella and have wheels that stick out. I had 151 Thunders (equivalent to 159 Indys) on a 10 inch Black Label deck for a bit and the aforementioned solutions helped. I eventually switched to 161 Thunders because I couldn't deal with the tighter trucks.

Basically 159s might work, but if you want the best performance you're going to want a smaller deck, or bigger trucks.

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #362 on: October 27, 2019, 09:47:17 PM »
alright ill check that out.

someone else told me ace 55 but idk if they're good or not but I trust indy.

I also saw Polar Bear trucks that were on a 9.75 board and only underhung a lil bit so I might try those as I've used em before and theyre sturdy and turn nice.

Are indy 169s viable for the green giant and the 9.1 orange eagle? I just don't want the wheels poking out 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:49:14 PM by slappy50 »
niggling

[/quote]

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #363 on: October 27, 2019, 11:37:24 PM »
Just a lil help i tried looking through the posts to find an answer

I was just gifted a 8.98 FUBK Rudy Johnson I’m going to grab some new Indy’s
 thinking 159’s ??? Anyone skated one or got some advice before I buy trucks????
Cheers

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #364 on: October 28, 2019, 01:54:46 AM »
  69s
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #365 on: October 28, 2019, 07:02:08 AM »
Just a lil help i tried looking through the posts to find an answer

I was just gifted a 8.98 FUBK Rudy Johnson I’m going to grab some new Indy’s
 thinking 159’s ??? Anyone skated one or got some advice before I buy trucks????

159s should be ok, they’re listed as 8.75, unless you’ve got big wide wheels.
Cheers
niggling

[/quote]

baggy spandex

« Reply #366 on: October 28, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
Expand Quote
I actually ride them on a polar dane shape and couldn’t imagine anything else on them because it feels so good
[close]

They don’t hot rod too much in the back?

No they do a slight bit but it’s not noticeable and I personally prefer that to the front truck being so small cause I think it just skated better

I recommend it to both u

The Dane1 shape was made specifically for Dane, right? So I doubt he uses anything other than 66s on it. 55s would be too magic carpet-y. I’m using 169s personally, but 66s are on deck.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #367 on: October 28, 2019, 04:11:45 PM »

159s are maxed out at 9” for me. Already prefer 169 on 9”.
Everything above for sure 169.

PMA

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #368 on: October 28, 2019, 04:37:43 PM »
Thanks, I’ve decided to save for 169s to set up on the 9.56 later. Looking forward to the orange crusher though, 159s mean I can size down for 9” boards too.
niggling

[/quote]

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #369 on: October 28, 2019, 06:27:56 PM »
I have 169s on a 8.75 and it’s good.
I also have 149s on a 9.25 and it’s good

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #370 on: October 29, 2019, 06:49:42 AM »
I have 169s on a 8.75 and it’s good.
I also have 149s on a 9.25 and it’s good
   69s on a 8.75?   -no way to live

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #371 on: October 29, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »
i tried that too. 169 on 8.75" felt way better than 159 on 9(i.e.).

PMA

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #372 on: October 29, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »

9.25 Alltimers Cruiser
Some big Krux (They're not racist but they don't really turn that great)
Somewhere between 54 and 56 OJ KeyFrame Plain Janes

It's really fun flicking this big thing around. It's not my normal set up it's just my cruiser, but it's been getting a lot of use lately.

I was skating around in circles while enjoying a beer after work the other day for about 15-20 minutes. Put my phone down for a little bit to film myself doing a couple tricks on flat. Kept doing things out of frame, but it doesn't really matter. Cut the session short to ride my bike to the butchers'/deli before my wife got home from work (Also they close pretty early). Once I got home from the deli, I watched a bit of the clip noticed all of my nollie flips were really bad, so I went out and did another one. Nothing impressive here, but it's raining in NJ and I would usually use this time after work to try and skate so I'm a bit bored.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #373 on: October 29, 2019, 05:13:48 PM »

9.25 Alltimers Cruiser
Some big Krux (They're not racist but they don't really turn that great)
Somewhere between 54 and 56 OJ KeyFrame Plain Janes

It's really fun flicking this big thing around. It's not my normal set up it's just my cruiser, but it's been getting a lot of use lately.

I was skating around in circles while enjoying a beer after work the other day for about 15-20 minutes. Put my phone down for a little bit to film myself doing a couple tricks on flat. Kept doing things out of frame, but it doesn't really matter. Cut the session short to ride my bike to the butchers'/deli before my wife got home from work (Also they close pretty early). Once I got home from the deli, I watched a bit of the clip noticed all of my nollie flips were really bad, so I went out and did another one. Nothing impressive here, but it's raining in NJ and I would usually use this time after work to try and skate so I'm a bit bored.

I have been eyeing that deck for my 9+.

The tail is so old school and I appreciate the airwalk.

I might get this or a Polar 91 or 92. I can’t decide.

Also there is a new TG LTD 9 inch that is pretty good looking.

That ground looks really shitty so just landing a nollie flip is alright in my book.

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #374 on: October 29, 2019, 07:30:59 PM »
I skated that shape for a while and set it up as a cruiser now and still ride it a lot. Really love that shape, well balanced.

If you are deciding between polar 91/92 and that one I would highly recommend the all timers.
Especially because you don’t know how long you can pick one up. The polars will be around for a while.
But the longer wheelbase suits the shape much better. The polars always felt off to me.

PMA

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #375 on: October 30, 2019, 10:26:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have been eyeing that deck for my 9+.

The tail is so old school and I appreciate the airwalk.

I might get this or a Polar 91 or 92. I can’t decide.

Also there is a new TG LTD 9 inch that is pretty good looking.

That ground looks really shitty so just landing a nollie flip is alright in my book.

Thank you for the kind words. The ground is only kind of shitty, just lots of sticks and rocks everywhere, but the OJ keyframes can ride over most of it. I like the looks of the polar 91 and 92. I eventually want to try one sometime down the line. I'm coming from skating a 9.0 Special Delivery theories deck as my cruiser which had a much more tapered tail.

I really enjoyed skating this theories shape and it seems like they always make every size of their decks and usually every board will come in this shape. I'm stoked on the massive not so tapered tail of the alltimers. It's been really fun getting used to. I've literally just set it up about a week or so ago and it's been a blast.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #376 on: October 30, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »
I love how that Theories shape looks. Any idea what it measures over the back truck?

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #377 on: October 30, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »

The Dane1 shape was made specifically for Dane, right? So I doubt he uses anything other than 66s on it. 55s would be too magic carpet-y. I’m using 169s personally, but 66s are on deck.
dane rides 159/55s on that shape. 55s are completely flush with the truck mounting area width, it's very tapered. 169s are a bit wide on the back, flush on the front. 159s are flush on the back, a bit smaller in the front. for an authentic 90s look, 159s would be the right size.

also, has anyone tried drilling a longer wheelbase on the dane 1?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:41:50 AM by I AM »

baggy spandex

« Reply #378 on: October 30, 2019, 11:58:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
dane rides 159/55s on that shape. 55s are completely flush with the truck mounting area width, it's very tapered. 169s are a bit wide on the back, flush on the front. 159s are flush on the back, a bit smaller in the front. for an authentic 90s look, 159s would be the right size.

169s are closer to the 55’s axle width than 159s though
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:28:40 PM by baggy spandex »

I AM

« Reply #379 on: October 30, 2019, 02:27:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

true, but i don't see how that contradicts what im saying. 159s are 8.75, 55s are 9.0, 169s are 9.125. the dane shape is probably about 8.7 at the tail while the front is like, 9.3 or something. 

I AM

« Reply #380 on: October 30, 2019, 02:33:30 PM »
oh you mean why was dane riding 159s? like i said, i think he was going for that authentic 90s look.

baggy spandex

« Reply #381 on: October 30, 2019, 08:08:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
true, but i don't see how that contradicts what im saying. 159s are 8.75, 55s are 9.0, 169s are 9.125. the dane shape is probably about 8.7 at the tail while the front is like, 9.3 or something.

I don't think it contradicts you and it wasn't meant to. I bet we'd both agree the the "right" size truck just comes down to personal preference at a certain point. I was thinking more about what the ideal truck for Dane's shape would be, and considering that he rides for Ace, the shape was probably made with Aces in mind. Not sure about the sizes he actually rides.

I AM

« Reply #382 on: October 31, 2019, 01:13:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I don't think it contradicts you and it wasn't meant to. I bet we'd both agree the the "right" size truck just comes down to personal preference at a certain point. I was thinking more about what the ideal truck for Dane's shape would be, and considering that he rides for Ace, the shape was probably made with Aces in mind. Not sure about the sizes he actually rides.
um, sure. i was just saying that 55s are the closest you can get to being flush with the board, not my preference. you said “though” so i got a little confused.

the dane 1 shape was out way before he got on ace.

ok, so heres why i think he rides 55s/159s
if you look closely, you can see that his set up has a bit of a magic carpet thing going on.

for comparison, here is a photo of a guy riding the dane 1 shape with 169s but with skinnier wheels :

and if you look even closer, specifically at where the hanger goes into the baseplate...

...you can see that its a bit angular and not completely round/smooth. heres what i mean by that :

these are 159s. notice how the arch on the hanger leading into the pivot cup is slightly kinked. for comparison, here are the 169s :

with ace its really hard to tell, but im pretty sure those are 159s and i doubt he's gonna size down to 44s, and i doubt he would size up to 66s when 55s exist.

also, here are a couple images to prove that authentic 90s setups are flush in the back, and magic carpet in the front.

JB77

« Reply #383 on: October 31, 2019, 02:37:02 AM »
I skated during that era and we definitely went with the more magic-carpety option.  This was when 360 flips and tricks like that were really gaining popularity.  Narrower trucks made the boards more tippy, less stable.  Which was the point.  I don't remember even knowing anyone who owned 169's at the time. 

baggy spandex

« Reply #384 on: October 31, 2019, 08:57:48 AM »
the dane 1 shape was out way before he got on ace.

Ahhh. That’s the info I was missing.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »
  If ye never tried doing it, get rid of the risers and try some 52s on these wide boards.     
     I remeber during the late 80s/early 90s   159s being as common as 169s.  With as much cut away as some of those 80s decks had they ended up with as much real estate as the popcicle sticks really.   Like the mini cab complete is fucking tiny. And big dudes rode the minis on street back then.  Imagine that?  a lil short ass board with half inch risers and bullet 66s!!  Do a judo!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:23:02 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »
I ride a creature 9.75 with the venture 6.1(8.75). It's flush in the back and a little overhang in front. It doesn't bug me, and I can still flip my board ok. The jump from 8.75 to 9+ trucks takes a lot away for me.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #387 on: October 31, 2019, 07:20:30 PM »
I concur with flush in the back and Magic Carpet up front. That's how we rolled back when... but people are going by the deck to truck size charts these days, which I'd say only apply to 'popsicle' shapes. About to set up a Gonz 9.8 with Ace 55s for that very reason.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:08:03 PM by Fred Gerwer Frank Gall »

Nittio

• Rep: 5
« Reply #388 on: November 02, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »
I’m gonna chime in on 151/159 on the Dane 9.75. Running 151 with a couple of speed rings and it feels absolutely perfect.

• Rep: 58
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #389 on: November 02, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »

Krooked Chico Guest 9 x 32.3
Indy Forged Hollow 159
Spitfire Radial 56mm 99A
Spitfire Burner Bearings
Jessup