Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720058 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #6030 on: April 08, 2024, 08:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Very little info. Just saw the Fall drop 1 catalog.

“Reformulated for slide and speed.” Radial shape in 55 and 57. Pedro Delfino model. I know he digs the current 97a.
[close]
Can you post or link the catalogue?
[close]

I'm not sure DLX would appreciate that.

Anyone who is in a shop, or has an account through DLX directly or via one of their many distributors worldwide has access to see catalogs and order product before they come out, but for everyone else, they really only get to see if they have "special access" via a friend, or associated person, so really it is best to wait until said products are released via the normal media, socials or on their specific brand pages.

Of course product info does slip out from time to time, but from a shop account perspective, these things are actually pretty well guarded and a shop person can get in to some trouble for posting or releasing info before due time.

Be it on their own heads if anyone chooses to do so, but accounts have been suspended or cancelled for similar things in the past.

The other side of it, fully understandable, that the average skater wants to know and is very hungry for more information with regard to details of new products, shapes, sizes, etc and it is human nature to get excited about things like this, so of course when there is specific info on a new formula, a different duro wheel, whatever it is, hot damn people are going to want to talk about it, see pics of it, hear more about it and it could be said, this is the best place to hear it first, for any and every other normal person not associated with said brand, through distribution, shop or other business interest.

* I haven't seen the catalog yet, but I would be stoked to hear of an "improved" formula there too, as I have 97 duro wheels on a few boards and they sell fairly well for the rougher / more slippery surfaces that people I know ride them on too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
« Reply #6031 on: April 08, 2024, 08:20:49 PM »
To be clear I haven't worked in a skate shop in decades and have no real inside industry connections. I've just had some success internet sleuthing for future releases of products I'm stoked on, such as wheel welled Huffers and 97a F4s. You could probably find them also.

or perhaps...

I'm doing some not-so-subtle gurellia hyping up for DLXSF... I'm not sure... I could be a brainwash victim... what's in it for me Lenny?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6032 on: April 08, 2024, 09:51:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just got a set of the 93a Classics. What is the most interesting about them is the packaging. You know how the backside of the cardboard insert has the wheel types and sizes? Well, they finally updated it. Classics. OG Classics. Conical. Conical Full. Radial. Radial Full. Lock-Ins. Lock-In Full. They finally removed Radial Slims...and that is a travesty.
[close]

Another drop, another day without Radial Slims.

Spitfire thanking Bones for showing there's a market for softer wheels.

I believe Bones made a better product especially with the X97 / X99, with shapes that are distinct from each other, but were let down by their branding / marketing. Now Sptifire is swooping in to steal their lunch, again.
[close]

This means we need Powell to produce a Radial
Slim…and then Spitfire will. Eventually.

The V2 is essentially a radial slim (rounded edges vs the straight cut tablets).

Sadly the V2 and V5 in regs STF are all but extinct (you can still find the last drop of V5s out there tho). Even the SkateOne site is just V1/V3s

DonkeyRhubarb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6033 on: April 08, 2024, 10:58:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Do Spitfire product reps browse slap? Or is there a contact/comments page to ask them a question?

Was wondering if they're ever likely to make a wheel bearing off-set wheel that increases hangar width. The lockins don't do this as far as I'm aware.
[close]

They had made a Radial offset wheel that was apart of the Grimplestix Freestyle completes a couple years back.

Thanks for this. I had a look on ebay to see if I could find them, but no luck.

Also, if anyone is interested, I asked Powell if they had any plans for a 99A nano cubic - I was told they do not, but they will forward my request to relevant dept. I was also told they will be releasing some more shapes in fall of this year.

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #6034 on: April 08, 2024, 11:35:54 PM »
Bones' marketing with regards to X-Formula did really suck ass. Which is a shame, as the product is excellent. Look at Spitfire, just taking over the media space with the new 93. Yeah, they have Andrew Reynolds, but Bones aren't exactly lacking in interesting riders. Plus Spitfire outperform Bones 93-0 with regards to art direction and visuals.

If it wasn't for Slap, I probably wouldn't have even tried the X97/X99 wheels. Thanks Slap pals. You lead me onto some awesome urethane.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6035 on: April 09, 2024, 12:15:59 AM »
Bones' marketing with regards to X-Formula did really suck ass. Which is a shame, as the product is excellent. Look at Spitfire, just taking over the media space with the new 93. Yeah, they have Andrew Reynolds, but Bones aren't exactly lacking in interesting riders. Plus Spitfire outperform Bones 93-0 with regards to art direction and visuals.

Bones - put Jaws at the center of the X97 / 99 marketing push
Spitfire - put Andrew Reynolds at the center of the 93a marketing push
Bones - "fuck"
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #6036 on: April 09, 2024, 12:30:07 AM »
can’t wait for the new 97s, 97a radial 57mm sounds like a dream. i have no issues with the way they skate as is but hopefully the new formula wears away slower because that is my only problem with the 97a
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #6037 on: April 09, 2024, 01:07:17 PM »
Ok, here is part of what I wrote about the 93a Classics on a Facebook Group...

I went to Texas two years ago, and knew I was going to be skating some crusty ditches. My usually 99a Classics might be a bit too hard for those situations. So, I bought a set of the 97a Classics for that trip. Those wheels were great for crust, and I started using them for rougher spots in my local area, too.

Now, these 93a wheels are out. Much internet consternation has surfaced about how the 97a and 93a compare to each other. I figured I give them a shot, considering how much I liked the 97s (in some situations). People seemed to be saying the 93a was actually better overall than the 97a. Are they?

So, my set of the 93a came yesterday. I skated them today for a while, in place where they should perform *the worst*: a smooth skatepark. Here are my thoughts:

Speed: Slower than my 99a, but not nearly as much as I expected, and this kind of shocked me. I was expecting something really sluggish, and they were not, at all. They had great speed for a 93a wheel. No real complaints here.

Sound: I hate the sound of soft wheels. They created this water-logged thud noise, and these certainly had the “soft wheel sound” to them. I was not a fan of this.

Feel: I am also not a big fan of how soft wheels feel. They are spongey, bouncy, gooey, and don’t feel as responsive as harder wheels. The 93a Spitfires also had a lot of this going on, but again, not as bad as I expected. Didn’t hate it, but def liked the feel of my 99a better.

Grip/Slide: Soft wheels grip. A lot. Everyone knows that. To that end, I was surprised by 93a Spits. They certainly had some grip, but I also didn’t have ANY problem with them doing revert tricks on the ramps. I was expecting these tricks to be really compromised by softer wheels, but they simply were not. However, they also did grip a bit more when I wanted them to. In my older years, F/S rock n rolls on ramps have become a “MEH” trick for me. I now stall them out too long, and don’t snap them around fast enough anymore. The result is that I sometimes bail them because I start sliding/slipping down the ramp when I am half-way out of them. Even when I do make them, they feel “slippy” turning back in. With the 93a Spits, my f/s rocks felt totally “locked,” and were the most confident ones I’ve done in years, because the wheels gripped a bit more.

Grinds: I didn’t notice and real stick on grinds. Feeble/smith grinds on a two-sided curb felt fine. As did 50-50s and 5-0s on ledges. No issue with side of wheel grabbing against the edges.

Nose/Tailslides: Didn’t have a problem with these. If you ride Thunder trucks (e.g. shorter baseplate/more wheel catch), you may have a different outcome.

Lipslides/Boardslides/Blunt slides on 1-sided Ledge: Did not try any of these. TBA. My gut says there will be stick problems, because of how they powerslid (see below), but my gut was also wrong about a lot with these.

Powerslides on flat: Def more grippy than my 99a, but I could make them slide, but not as good.

Overall: They performed much better than I expected them to *at a smooth skate park*, which is NOT what they are really designed for. The real test is going to be when I get them in some real crust later this week…if the rain goes away. More later.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 01:45:11 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #6038 on: April 09, 2024, 01:19:39 PM »
Ok, here is part of what I wrote about the 93a Classics on a Facebook Group...

I went to Texas two years ago, and knew I was going to be skating some crusty ditches. My usually 99a Classics might be a bit too hard for those situations. So, I bought a set of the 97a Classics for that trip. Those wheels were great for crust, and I started using them for rougher spots in my local area, too.

Now, these 93a wheels are out. Much internet consternation has surfaced about how the 97a and 93a compare to each other. I figured I give them a shot, considering how much I liked the 97s (in some situations). People seemed to be saying the 93a was actually better overall than the 97a. Are they?

So, my set of the 93a came yesterday. I skated them today for a while, in place where they should perform *the worst*: a smooth skatepark. Here are my thoughts:

Speed: Slower than my 99a, but not nearly as much as I expected, and this kind of shocked me. I was expecting something really sluggish, and they were not, at all. They had great speed for a 93a wheel. No real complaints here.

Sound: I hate the sound of soft wheels. They created this water-logged thud noise, and these certainly had the “soft wheel sound” to them. I was not a fan of this.

Feel: I am also not a big fan of how soft wheels feel. They are spongey, bouncy, gooey, and don’t feel as responsive as harder wheels. The 93a Spitfires also had a lot of this going on, but again, not as bad as I expected. Didn’t hate it, but def liked the feel of my 99a better.

Grip/Slide: Soft wheels grip. A lot. Everyone knows that. To that end, I was surprised by 93a Spits. They certainly had some grip, but I also didn’t have ANY problem with them doing revert tricks on the ramps. I was expecting these tricks to be really compromised by softer wheels, but they simply were not. However, they also did grip a bit more when I wanted them to. In my older years, F/S rock n rolls on ramps have become a “MEH” trick for me. I now stall them out too long, and don’t snap them around fast enough anymore. The result is that I sometimes bail them because I start sliding/slipping down the ramp when I am half-way out of them. Even when I do make them, they feel “slippy” turning back in. With the 93a Spits, my f/s rocks felt totally “locked,” and were the most confident ones I’ve done in years, because the wheels gripped a bit more.

Grinds: I didn’t notice and real stick on grinds. Feeble/smith grinds on a two-sided curb felt fine. As did 50-50s and 5-0s on ledges. No issue with side of wheel grabbing against the edges.

Nose/Tailslides: Didn’t have a problem with these. If you ride Thunder trucks (e.g. shorter baseplate/more wheel catch), you may have a different outcome.

Lipslides/Boardslides/Blunt slides on 1-sided Ledge: Did not try any of these. TBA.

Powerslides on flat: Def more grippy than my 99a, but I could make them slide, but not as good.

Overall: They performed much better than I expected them to *at a smooth skate park*, which is NOT what they are really designed for. The real test is going to be when I get them in some real crust later this week…if the rain goes away. More later.

Good and detailed write up.  I agree about maintaining speed and sliding on smooth ground, they aren’t 99’s but they aren’t nearly as hindering on smooth ground as other soft/slide options. 

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 955
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6039 on: April 09, 2024, 01:24:14 PM »
I think I'm not getting these anytime soon since it will take a while for these to land in EU shops and I'm sitting on three pairs of Dragons and a few different sets of F4s (gonna sell/give away all my 97s probably). Also while waiting for these the hype will probably settle down a bit and I know for sure if they're worth it replacing my Dragons.
That's terrible. I love the 97. None of my 97s got chips. They nice and white. They do the job around here.

If was over there I'd buy up everything you got over 55mm
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6040 on: April 09, 2024, 01:56:21 PM »

However, they also did grip a bit more when I wanted them to. In my older years, F/S rock n rolls on ramps have become a “MEH” trick for me. I now stall them out too long, and don’t snap them around fast enough anymore. The result is that I sometimes bail them because I start sliding/slipping down the ramp when I am half-way out of them. Even when I do make them, they feel “slippy” turning back in. With the 93a Spits, my f/s rocks felt totally “locked,” and were the most confident ones I’ve done in years, because the wheels gripped a bit more.

As a connoisseur of the Front Rock, you have now made me even more anxious to set my 93s up... However, I want you to know, that stalling the front rock (as long as its decked and checked) is quite OK. Nothing wrong with a brief tea break before re-entry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6041 on: April 09, 2024, 02:48:15 PM »
I’m an outlier, front rocks should be slapped.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6042 on: April 09, 2024, 02:49:21 PM »
You can slap 'em down, vogue yourself into position, pose for the money shot and re-enter.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • sup dog
« Reply #6043 on: April 09, 2024, 07:32:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just got a set of the 93a Classics. What is the most interesting about them is the packaging. You know how the backside of the cardboard insert has the wheel types and sizes? Well, they finally updated it. Classics. OG Classics. Conical. Conical Full. Radial. Radial Full. Lock-Ins. Lock-In Full. They finally removed Radial Slims...and that is a travesty.
[close]

I believe Bones made a better product especially with the X97 / X99, with shapes that are distinct from each other, but were let down by their branding / marketing. Now Sptifire is swooping in to steal their lunch, again.
[close]

When I was fiending for a radial slim and really looking at all the measurements, the V5 shape was pretty close to the radial slim.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6044 on: April 09, 2024, 08:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
When I was fiending for a radial slim and really looking at all the measurements, the V5 shape was pretty close to the radial slim.

Sorry my dude not even close

BONES V2 Locks are the closest:
https://bones.com/why/street-tech-formula/

DonkeyRhubarb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6045 on: April 09, 2024, 11:57:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The V6 widecut is pretty close to a Radial Slim (at least on ride patch) being only 1MM narrower at 18.5MM on the 54MM wheel. But it is 3MM wider on total width which might bother Radial Slim enjoyers.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6046 on: April 10, 2024, 07:13:46 AM »
Man on top of the other marketing follies of using Jaws to push the x formula (i am looking at their lineup and i PROBABLY would have chose Joslin personally but I think Aurelian would have worked pretty well and I see they used Decenzo as well at some point which imo was actually a good pick) the naming conventions from bones for their wheel shapes are WAY too hard / confusing for consumers to try and remember.

Had my first session on the 93a and it was an absolute blast at the curb spot. feebles and crooked gridn no problem at all, even learned crook pop over. Radial shape 56mm so nice and chonky i was just locked the fuck in on this downhill slap. was going so fast i had to chill. my setup for this wheel is 8.75 primitive egg, 149 indy standard. i think i could main this setup anywhere but i am pretty sure i would rather use my 99a setup for bluntslides. but this would definitely still work. now its more of a matter of what are you sacrificing more on each setup and its like such specific things its hard to choose.

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #6047 on: April 10, 2024, 09:49:36 AM »
Man on top of the other marketing follies of using Jaws to push the x formula (i am looking at their lineup and i PROBABLY would have chose Joslin personally but I think Aurelian would have worked pretty well and I see they used Decenzo as well at some point which imo was actually a good pick) the naming conventions from bones for their wheel shapes are WAY too hard / confusing for consumers to try and remember.

Had my first session on the 93a and it was an absolute blast at the curb spot. feebles and crooked gridn no problem at all, even learned crook pop over. Radial shape 56mm so nice and chonky i was just locked the fuck in on this downhill slap. was going so fast i had to chill. my setup for this wheel is 8.75 primitive egg, 149 indy standard. i think i could main this setup anywhere but i am pretty sure i would rather use my 99a setup for bluntslides. but this would definitely still work. now its more of a matter of what are you sacrificing more on each setup and its like such specific things its hard to choose.

Awesome to hear. Kudos.

pops

• Rep: 250
« Reply #6048 on: April 10, 2024, 11:24:37 AM »
Expand Quote
I think I'm not getting these anytime soon since it will take a while for these to land in EU shops and I'm sitting on three pairs of Dragons and a few different sets of F4s (gonna sell/give away all my 97s probably). Also while waiting for these the hype will probably settle down a bit and I know for sure if they're worth it replacing my Dragons.
[close]
That's terrible. I love the 97. None of my 97s got chips. They nice and white. They do the job around here.

If was over there I'd buy up everything you got over 55mm

None of my 97s did chip, they just felt all over the place wherever I skated. Only indoor park was fine, I liked them there. My 97s are def not white,  not even when new. More like potato-ish.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #6049 on: April 10, 2024, 05:36:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The width is the same, isn’t it? That’s all I cared about.

Are we getting super specific about the shape of the wheel at the edges, and the ride patch?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6050 on: April 10, 2024, 06:01:18 PM »

The width is the same, isn’t it? That’s all I cared about.

Are we getting super specific about the shape of the wheel at the edges, and the ride patch?

Grown men comparing the similarities or the huge differences between a few mm in measurements of wheels?

Absolutely, as is the whole reason for "Shoes and gear" on Slap.

But for real, even just the conical shape, compared to the more rounded edges of Radial shape wheels is the make or break for some people in terms of which wheels work well, or don't work well.

That and the 4 mm between contact areas between those two - Bones wheel shape, I mean.

I have machined down - rounded off the sharper side edge mainly - of Conical 54 mm wheels to make them more like Radial Slim wheels on a few occasions and I felt like the set I skated did have a little more easy in and out from coping, edges, etc.

Guessing that was what people missed about the feel of the Radial Slims, along with the generally not so wide wheel feeling too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #6051 on: April 10, 2024, 06:53:19 PM »
Of course, I should have known better.

I am a shame.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6052 on: April 10, 2024, 07:07:31 PM »
Wonderful, all the V6 shape take has me thinking I want to try a set in 54mm.

Thanks Slap.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #6053 on: April 10, 2024, 07:36:53 PM »

Thanks Slap.

Hate to add fuel to the fire, but I really really like my x99 56mm V6s. Felt a little sticky at first with the xformula and the wider contact patch coming from V5s, but now I don’t ever want to go back. Plus the aesthetics.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6054 on: April 10, 2024, 07:40:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks Slap.
[close]

Hate to add fuel to the fire, but I really really like my x99 56mm V6s. Felt a little sticky at first with the xformula and the wider contact patch coming from V5s, but now I don’t ever want to go back. Plus the aesthetics.

X99 in V6 are amazing, I picked up the 54mm blk ones and I swear they are harder/louder than white x99s. Pretty much a radial...speaking of radials...just listen to how good they sound. (also when did he bounce from Indy?)

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6055 on: April 10, 2024, 08:23:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks Slap.
[close]

[close]

X99 in V6 are amazing, I picked up the 54mm blk ones and I swear they are harder/louder than white x99s. Pretty much a radial...speaking of radials...just listen to how good they sound. (also when did he bounce from Indy?)

I also noticed hes on thunders and had to resist the nerd urge to say something about it in the comments.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #6056 on: April 10, 2024, 08:44:29 PM »

My guess is Mason is just skating the Christmas complete that DLX sent him with the wheels, the mellow mold board and they just happened to throw some Thunders on it. 2nd slide is a session from at least this week and those look like they have the Indy chub roll.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6057 on: April 10, 2024, 10:07:46 PM »

FUBAR

• Rep: 238
« Reply #6058 on: April 11, 2024, 02:16:02 AM »
You can slap 'em down, vogue yourself into position, pose for the money shot and re-enter.
This seems like a very polite way to tell some to Fk off.

Jogging José

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6059 on: April 11, 2024, 04:58:36 AM »
The 93s have arrived in Europe. My local, Freedom in Vienna, has them in stock.

https://freedomskateshop.at/search?q=Spitfire%2093

…great shop btw.