Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 88468 times)

Landmine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 185
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #300 on: July 14, 2022, 07:07:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Back on 52mm wheels.  56 felt weird.  I'll just suffer.
[close]

Was that on the big egg?

I am all for 56mm wheels on some boards - usually transition or lazy day boards, but definitely not on every board, with 50 to 52 being more common on street or curb setups nowdays.

If you mix and match that will often be ok, but if you don't really skate much else, then it is a bit of a weird one, as you said.

Yeah.  It was fun at first but then it just felt wrong.  Played around a bit, threw the 52s back on, and all was right in the world.  Guess I have a type.

IpathCats

« Reply #301 on: July 14, 2022, 07:30:19 PM »
My shoe size has changed drastically due to getting enough protein and now I’ve noticed changes drastically from beginning, middle, and end of the day. True life - I’m 31 and I don’t know my shoe size and it’s fucking killing me

I'm not sure why, but this made me laugh.

Pick the smallest shoe you can that doesn't care your foot in. If that means going a half size bigger than you normally would, just do it. I crammed into shoes for a while because I liked feeling snug in my skate shoes, but it just wrecked my feet. Try high/midtops out of the bigger size feels too loose. Tightening around the ankles makes them more snug without crushing your feet.

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #302 on: July 15, 2022, 05:03:44 AM »
Expand Quote
So I've been skating full shape 8.5 for a while now but the thing is I wear size 8 shoes and my board is almost as wide as my foot, I have very little heel hanging off. It never bothered me before but now that I'm skating more street than transition, I feel like its holding me back especially mannys and flat ground. Mostly bs flips and scooping (atleast I never heel drag though).

What are your guys thoughts on the amount of heel hanging off the board?
[close]

I wear a US 7.5 and ride a 8.25 as my regular board. So only a bit of heel hanging off the board, I like it that way.

But I also ride a 8.9 sometimes and I can do all my flips with that setup too, just not as highly popped.

No need to overthink when it feels good.

In relation to this thread.. Sole Tech changed their shoe sizing a few years ago. As much as I like Emerica and Etnies, my feet are always swimming in their shoes.
I haven't yet found a narrow slim shoe that fits me as well as Lakai's for example. The Vince Alvarez pro shoe, the Atlantic is pretty good for my weird feet.

If you want narrow and slim, the Ishod will be perfect

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #303 on: July 15, 2022, 05:16:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So I've been skating full shape 8.5 for a while now but the thing is I wear size 8 shoes and my board is almost as wide as my foot, I have very little heel hanging off. It never bothered me before but now that I'm skating more street than transition, I feel like its holding me back especially mannys and flat ground. Mostly bs flips and scooping (atleast I never heel drag though).

What are your guys thoughts on the amount of heel hanging off the board?
[close]

I wear a US 7.5 and ride a 8.25 as my regular board. So only a bit of heel hanging off the board, I like it that way.

But I also ride a 8.9 sometimes and I can do all my flips with that setup too, just not as highly popped.

No need to overthink when it feels good.

In relation to this thread.. Sole Tech changed their shoe sizing a few years ago. As much as I like Emerica and Etnies, my feet are always swimming in their shoes.
I haven't yet found a narrow slim shoe that fits me as well as Lakai's for example. The Vince Alvarez pro shoe, the Atlantic is pretty good for my weird feet.
[close]

If you want narrow and slim, the Ishod will be perfect

I like Ishod but I don't like the Nike empire. Same reason I don't buy Converse, although I really like them.
IG: @flowterspace

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #304 on: July 15, 2022, 09:26:19 AM »
My shoe size has changed drastically due to getting enough protein and now I’ve noticed changes drastically from beginning, middle, and end of the day. True life - I’m 31 and I don’t know my shoe size and it’s fucking killing me

When I chilled out on cycling and started skating more, my foot went from 8.5 to 9-9.5 (depending on make), I think because my arches started collapsing as I was getting so much more impact than I had been before.

As for skate stuff, I bought two Violet decks when they were $35 because my Polar is at the end of its life and the only deck I have on ice is a substandard shop deck I bought on Black Friday. I bought a single set of those new Bones wheels and they ended up sending me five, three sets of which I gave away.

As I said up thread, I took a stack of decks and wheels to the park, sent my unskated Royals to a friend who breaks trucks pretty regularly. My stash now is limited to what fits in a small popcorn tin and a box with three or four oddball decks I will eventually get around to skating, and two completes.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:33:12 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2022, 10:11:22 AM »
My rock climbing shoes are only a half size up from literally the smallest thing I can stuff my foot into. My street shoe size is a 43.5 EU and my climbing shoes are a 41.5, 42 in the summer if my feet swell.  During the climbing season I am a size 9.5 and during the rest of the year I am a 10-10.5. Imagine how that fucks with your skate shoes.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2022, 02:24:07 AM »
This thread is the embodiment of The Cobra Effect:

The Cobra effect occurs when incentives designed to solve a problem end up rewarding people for making it worse. The term originated in an anecdote that describes an occurrence in India under British rule. The British government was so concerned about the number of venomous cobras in Delhi it offered a bounty for every dead cobra. Initially, this was a successful strategy and large numbers of snakes were killed for the reward. However, unscrupulous entrepreneurs began to breed cobras.  When the government became aware of this money making exercise, the programme was scrapped, leaving cobra breeders with thousands of worthless snakes which they then freed, thus increasing the wild cobra population.
https://the10group.com/the-cobra-effect-what-could-possibly-go-wrong

Gave my friends Indy setup another to decide if I wanted to go down that route. The heft and height was giving me nice floaty ollies but the weight really became a factor when I started trying kickflip. I'd say that was the answer I needed (no), then thought maybe I should franken-truck them, Titanium Axle with a Cast Baseplate.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #307 on: July 16, 2022, 07:36:12 AM »
I have Ti axles with cast plates. I originally had the forged plates and got some cast ones later. It's basically the same weight as a hollow but doesn't have that weird hollow axle sound. I don't think it's much if any lighter feeling than a standard, which is on my other board.

Right now I'm in full madness. I've got 2 different setups where the only variable is the deck:

DLX 8.25: feels more consistent and snappy and my flip tricks are better, but it's not as stable for lots of other things. Oddly my tailslides and slappies feel a bit more outta control.

DLX 8.38: basically the opposite of above. It's great but flip tricks feel a bit rocket or kinda just flop over.

Now this is the true madness- skated 3 times for 2hrs each. Once at the park, once at the slappy spot, once in front of my house. Still no decision, but this is peak kook behavior.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #308 on: July 16, 2022, 01:30:08 PM »
I have Ti axles with cast plates. I originally had the forged plates and got some cast ones later. It's basically the same weight as a hollow but doesn't have that weird hollow axle sound. I don't think it's much if any lighter feeling than a standard, which is on my other board.

Right now I'm in full madness. I've got 2 different setups where the only variable is the deck:

DLX 8.25: feels more consistent and snappy and my flip tricks are better, but it's not as stable for lots of other things. Oddly my tailslides and slappies feel a bit more outta control.

DLX 8.38: basically the opposite of above. It's great but flip tricks feel a bit rocket or kinda just flop over.

Now this is the true madness- skated 3 times for 2hrs each. Once at the park, once at the slappy spot, once in front of my house. Still no decision, but this is peak kook behavior.
Naw I feel like that’s normal behavior for this thread. I ran into a friend while I was grabbing lunch and went on for 10 min about the difference in Allen hardware between brands. That’s a sickness.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2022, 04:32:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Naw I feel like that’s normal behavior for this thread. I ran into a friend while I was grabbing lunch and went on for 10 min about the difference in Allen hardware between brands. That’s a sickness.

Nah, that's true friendship.

Edit: if he's a Philips head guy then disown him and find new friends

Stepped on a friends Hockey with Thunder Hollow Lights and that felt great too, got me questioning my loyalty to the big V.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:29:42 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DERBY

• Rep: 267
« Reply #310 on: July 16, 2022, 09:44:52 PM »

i feel ya. ya ain’t alone in this. went from a size 9 to 6.5 within 10 years. a damn shame i thought it was all over at 7 and stocked up on a bunch of shoes

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2022, 08:46:51 PM »
Truck madness is hitting me hard, everyone's setup feels great except my own. Going to stop being stubborn and tighten up my trucks, see if that helps, before I work through the brands.

Anyone ride 144 trucks on an 8.5 deck? I have an 8.5 deck that's been sitting around, don't have 149 trucks but lots of 144 trucks (AF1 Low, Thunder 148, Venture 5.6).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #312 on: July 17, 2022, 09:12:42 PM »
Truck madness is hitting me hard, everyone's setup feels great except my own. Going to stop being stubborn and tighten up my trucks, see if that helps, before I work through the brands.

Anyone ride 144 trucks on an 8.5 deck? I have an 8.5 deck that's been sitting around, don't have 149 trucks but lots of 144 trucks (AF1 Low, Thunder 148, Venture 5.6).

Yeah I’ve done it and it’s chill. Can also put some washers on the inside

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2022, 09:54:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It’s pretty funny how this thread started with a bunch of posters talking about slimming down to one or two completes, keeping their trucks, not worrying about wheelbases, and now it’s just the usual people talking about how the .005m addition to the length of their trucks is throwing everything off and buying a new set of trucks because of it.
[close]

lol its a "support" thread, we need to provide solace and serenity to those in times of madness. however that may be.
[close]

Yeah, I kind of just made this so I (and others) could vent about their gear neuroses without derailing other threads too much.

Just going to report back that I've been very into my "normal sized" popsicle. I like that if anything happens to it, I can walk into any skate shop and get another one and don't have to be all, "Yo, I need 5 in case they stop making them". Also very into the Ventures (5.6 hollows) I've been skating. There was no negative impact on my slappy/no comply game moving away from a big boy with Indy or Ace.

I’ve been on this one setup 99% of the time (record for me):

8” ps
5.2 venture lo’s
51 f4 classic shape, 99s
Quantums
Mob
Dunks

There are some disadvantages, namely rough ground, and I haven’t gone to a park, but for the skating I do (flatground bullshit), the above setup works as good as possible for me. I hope I just stick with it.

IpathCats

« Reply #314 on: July 18, 2022, 05:46:15 AM »
After my affair with tunders, and returning to indys. I thought i may want to go back to 149s and an 8.5 over my 8.3 and 144s. I setup two near identical setups, ishod twin, indys, classic f4 spits. one was 8.3 with 144s, one was 8.5 with 149s. And I must say, overall i prefer the 8.3 i was already riding (which was a good feeling).  Funny enough after this recent bout with the madness, the one thing i actually changed about my setup was the wheels. I was on 56mm 99a f4 classics for the longest time. I got some 54mm 101a f4 classics to help with the baseplate issue when i swapped to thunders, and I think I actually prefer them. They have their drawbacks, but they suit my skating better. Might just swap in the 99s when it gets cold or i skate somewhere slippery.

Def tighten before swapping, I mentioned that somewhere earlier in this thread.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2022, 06:37:58 AM »

Yeah, my 44s work great with 8.25-8.5" in my experience.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2022, 06:52:35 AM »

Loads of people do it by stacking washers and there are some minor trade offs vs 8.5 decks, but it's not massive. I personally have been on 8.25 trucks for years and gone up to 8.5 with em and ride 8.38ish normally.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #317 on: July 19, 2022, 06:42:37 AM »
Got super tired of going back and forth between setups so I gave my 8.25 to this kid at the park. I think there was a mental block in realizing that the longer board felt more comfortable but would require some re-learning of a few tricks or timing but that experience could be worth it to skate faster and more confidently otherwise. The 8.25 was considerably steeper and I don't want to get into the realm of messing with trucks for now.

IpathCats

« Reply #318 on: July 20, 2022, 05:45:18 AM »
I think a huge part of managing madness is understanding the interdependent relationship between the parameters of your skateboard. Understand when something is working for you, and if you're looking for a different feeling, there are ways to accomplish that without changing what you KNOW is working. Just some thoughts after my recent thunder/indy 144/149 debacle.

I liked the pop feel/stabililty of thunders but instead of changing my trucks, i feel like i shouldve sought out boards with a longer wb and shorter kicks.

I liked the hanger space on 149's, but in combination with the 56mm wheels i was on, and an 8.5 deck they were cumbersome to flip. I went to 54mm classics with some inside washers on my 144s and now i have a bit more hanger room.

I Feel like i should just keep some wheels on deck that work for various spots, because thats more objective than subjective. softer wider wheels DO work better on rougher or more slippery surfaces, thats a fact, not a random feeling of discontent/madness.

At that point is wheel madness even really madness? 101s most places, 99s or 97s if the place is kinda rough or slippery, and some softer wheels for those super crusty spots? could maybe even deal with 101s and 97s

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #319 on: July 20, 2022, 11:29:43 AM »
Instead of carrying two setups around with me (regular setup and filming/crusing setup) I am contemplating to just keep some soft cruiser wheels in my backpack.

Yeah I know, extra weight and changing wheels at the spot but that still seems better as carrying another setup.

What about those little soft rings(?) you could put over your regular wheels? I think Kenny Anderson showed them on his insta. But that was a while ago. Or can I make something similar by myself?

I hope ya all know what I mean.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #320 on: July 20, 2022, 11:33:40 AM »
Thankfully I have never had wheel madness. Someone told me to get F4 99 and every time I've strayed from it I've just ended up coming back.

I've had 144's and 52-54 for a really long time. I had some forged hollow 149s and don't know what I did with them. They were on a commuter setup (8.5 FA with 55 conical fulls) which was actually pretty damn fun. I'm really interested in trying 149 or fuck it, 159s, but don't wanna have to get new grooves in trucks and shit.

Anyways, it's interesting the daily variation more than setup variation. I rode this same setup last Friday and was having the easiest time doing manuals on this ledge, then could only manage 1 today. On Friday my tre flips were disgusting- like bouncing off the ground and today were the most consistent and best I've had em in a long time.

I will say that this 8.38x14.5 Dreamer shape does have me wanting to explore a twin tail. Long WB, same tail, same concave, but shorter nose and overall length.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #321 on: July 27, 2022, 04:47:56 AM »
We'll finally happened after nearly 5 years I'm over the 7.75. could be the one I'm riding is just super old but was riding it the other day and just thought "this kinda sucks, I'm over it" now I'm thinking I want like a 9x33 with long wheelbase but I'm looking at Indy 149,159,169 I have and really not keen. Got some really old thunder 149 titaniums but they're really low and I'd need smaller wheels. Anyone ride Willis Kimbell creature boards?anything weird about them you can't see in pics?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #322 on: July 27, 2022, 08:10:20 AM »
We'll finally happened after nearly 5 years I'm over the 7.75. could be the one I'm riding is just super old but was riding it the other day and just thought "this kinda sucks, I'm over it" now I'm thinking I want like a 9x33 with long wheelbase but I'm looking at Indy 149,159,169 I have and really not keen. Got some really old thunder 149 titaniums but they're really low and I'd need smaller wheels. Anyone ride Willis Kimbell creature boards?anything weird about them you can't see in pics?

Creature Kimbel decks are pretty much the usual popsicle, 9 x 33 with 15 wb and good kicks, nothing weird or different, normal Creature / Santa Cruz concave which is steeper than most, but if you are used to them, it should be familiar to you - pretty much the same concave as Dwindle and a few other woodshops.

Overall Creature seemed to have kicks a little on the shorter side with some shapes, but the 9 x 33 that I saw a while back was really nice.

Being in AU, the old OCD deck size list is a good one to check:

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/collections/decks?pf_t_deck_width=actual_width1%3A9.0

For the same dimensions, AH has the orange eagle and other assorted graphics, as does a few other brands, then shorter versions but still good shapes from Polar, Heroin, Enjoi, and then something even shorter again like the Creature Stumps board, but that is more than enough for this thread.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #323 on: July 27, 2022, 08:11:10 AM »
Ya the weird thing is that they only allow Spotify to play cut rare stoner metal and all your shoes change into Emericas.

Jokes aside, I finally went back to Thunders. I was probably gaslighting myself with Indy's, but I hadn't really spent a lot of time on them or skated the standards. After 7 months on them they're just not for me right now. My pop is great but consistency is low and even the forged don't work better for me. I skated Thunder from 2000-2008, then upon returning to skating from 2018-2021 with some small forays into Ace and Indy on my commuter setups.

It's refreshing to even have a bad day skating and not think about the gear one bit.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #324 on: July 27, 2022, 08:23:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Creature Kimbel decks are pretty much the usual popsicle, 9 x 33 with 15 wb and good kicks, nothing weird or different, normal Creature / Santa Cruz concave which is steeper than most, but if you are used to them, it should be familiar to you - pretty much the same concave as Dwindle and a few other woodshops.

Overall Creature seemed to have kicks a little on the shorter side with some shapes, but the 9 x 33 that I saw a while back was really nice.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/collections/decks?pf_t_deck_width=actual_width1%3A9.0

For the same dimensions, AH has the orange eagle and other assorted graphics, as does a few other brands, then shorter versions but still good shapes from Polar, Heroin, Enjoi, and then something even shorter again like the Creature Stumps board, but that is more than enough for this thread.

Jumping from a 7.75" to a 9"? That's a huge leap. You're asking for a good few months wallowing in this thread. Maybe dance with some 8.5s for awhile?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: July 27, 2022, 10:17:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well finally happened after nearly 5 years I'm over the 7.75. could be the one I'm riding is just super old but was riding it the other day and just thought "this kinda sucks, I'm over it" now I'm thinking I want like a 9x33 with long wheelbase but I'm looking at Indy 149,159,169 I have and really not keen. Got some really old thunder 149 titaniums but they're really low and I'd need smaller wheels. Anyone ride Willis Kimbell creature boards?anything weird about them you can't see in pics?
[close]

[close]

Jumping from a 7.75" to a 9"? That's a huge leap. You're asking for a good few months wallowing in this thread. Maybe dance with some 8.5s for awhile?
In 20+ years I've already ridden almost everything. I did it the other way when I started with the 7.75 coming down from a 9. (Or maybe an 8.8 can't remember the actual last board). Got a bunch of 8.5ish boards but they spark no joy

Thanks @Mbrimson88 I was basically thinking creature vs orange eagle but weirdly always found creature goes well with thunders and AH good with Indy even tho you'd think it more likely go the other way (or more likely it's just in my head)

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 68
« Reply #326 on: July 27, 2022, 10:49:10 AM »
It's refreshing to even have a bad day skating and not think about the gear one bit.

This. It's a great feeling!

It could very well be my gear madness is mostly self-inflicted illusion that it's about the gear, not the fact that I'm getting old and having other life commitments and schedules as well.

Funny that now when I recollect, I was riding some half-assed hand-me-downs most of my teen years and at least now it seems it was perfectly ok for me back then. There was also so little information available compared to internet age.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #327 on: July 27, 2022, 11:05:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well finally happened after nearly 5 years I'm over the 7.75. could be the one I'm riding is just super old but was riding it the other day and just thought "this kinda sucks, I'm over it" now I'm thinking I want like a 9x33 with long wheelbase but I'm looking at Indy 149,159,169 I have and really not keen. Got some really old thunder 149 titaniums but they're really low and I'd need smaller wheels. Anyone ride Willis Kimbell creature boards?anything weird about them you can't see in pics?
[close]

[close]

[close]
In 20+ years I've already ridden almost everything. I did it the other way when I started with the 7.75 coming down from a 9. (Or maybe an 8.8 can't remember the actual last board). Got a bunch of 8.5ish boards but they spark no joy

Thanks @Mbrimson88 I was basically thinking creature vs orange eagle but weirdly always found creature goes well with thunders and AH good with Indy even tho you'd think it more likely go the other way (or more likely it's just in my head)
why not go for a 9 football and get a happy medium of sorts? heroin has so many good shapes that aren’t too crazy you could toy around with. the comfort of a big board with the nimble factors with a smaller board. just an idea! Hope you find a good wider board that works for you!
edit: also if you’re looking into the deluxe/AH camp they have the huffer or those grimple eggs!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #328 on: July 27, 2022, 11:14:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
why not go for a 9 football and get a happy medium of sorts? heroin has so many good shapes that aren’t too crazy you could toy around with. the comfort of a big board with the nimble factors with a smaller board. just an idea! Hope you find a good wider board that works for you!
edit: also if you’re looking into the deluxe/AH camp they have the huffer or those grimple eggs!
That's definatly the most logical idea but unfortunately when I get the madness it isn't based on any science or logic, I just get infected with an idea for something different . I did actually think about an egg (fuk maybe this was all brought on by looking thru the Huffer thread) and I have a board that's just under 9 with a really tapered nose but bigger square tail. I set it up quickly and rode down the street doing some nollies then backwards did some Ollies, shoves and 180s it didn't feel quite right but granted that's not the fairest comparison for an egg.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #329 on: July 27, 2022, 08:02:58 PM »
Madness is in full effect, thought I was a 8.25-lifer but 8.5 is feeling so good right now. Barely noticed the difference in width after the first session. Now I need to update my entire truck ecosystem for 8.5 decks, wonderful.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m