Author Topic: Does anyone actually care about Adidas  (Read 5535 times)

Turtle Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
Re: Does anyone actually care about Adidas
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2023, 10:06:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Puigs are the best. Tyshawns are good too.

Adidas went downhill after Scott Johnston left.
[close]

Well, most of the product you're seeing now are from when he was still around (brands work on the seasons 1,5 years ahead usually).
This.
And I'd guess it's probably a reason why he got booted from adidas.
I feel NB# got their market share in the eyes of skateboarders. Funnier videos, more skaters skaters team, quality designs, good colourways, some tech but not too much, better relations with shops and so on. If Busenitz and Silas were new comers they would probably have ended up on NB# rather than adidas.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 10:15:32 AM by Turtle Boy »

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1271
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2023, 11:34:51 AM »
mike arnold handball shoe is one of the sexiest pairs of kicks ive ever owned

diplodocus

• Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2023, 05:45:30 PM »
I think NB has replaced Adidas in the number 2 spot next to Nike, with Cons close behind them at 4. It is honestly a rarity to see Adidas in the wild in my area. I see NB pretty frequently. NB is also killing it with the design and pro models. Just overall a better brand imo.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • sup dog
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2023, 05:54:30 PM »
I think NB has replaced Adidas in the number 2 spot next to Nike, with Cons close behind them at 4. It is honestly a rarity to see Adidas in the wild in my area. I see NB pretty frequently. NB is also killing it with the design and pro models. Just overall a better brand imo.
Yup, same around here… NB’s and Nikes.

Though I do see Cons way more often than Adidas. It’s probably a regional thing…

I don’t know what exactly NB has done, but I used to abhor them, now, I’m catching myself looking at the N thinking “yeah I would buy and wear these for sure.”
The 44 with the rectangle holes, the 808 in the black with a little white on the N. The 480 (Reynolds shoe?) the 440 looks really good (just not enough padding for me)

The people at NB that don’t skate are listening very well to the people that do skate. Good business.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2023, 06:18:11 PM »
I skated some Top Tens earlier this year that were legitimately some of the best shoes I’ve ever skated… but those aren’t in the skate line.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2023, 08:20:51 AM »
Expand Quote
    Expand Quote
    Expand Quote
    I like Adidas and pretty much always have. Even before they ever had a skate line I would skate stan smiths, or shelltoes. Right now I find the Nora to be a nearly perfect skate shoe. They arent the best for chilling though, but for skating I love them.

I would really love a Silas 1 reissue.
    [close]

same - also want to add that non skate Stan smiths skated better (lasted longer) than the advs.  if I had to run the ninja warrior course, id do it in a pair of Busenitz with the long tongue

Im not sponsored by Adidas but I still ride out for them
    [close]

I’ll use this post to get on my soap box and suggest that adidas skateboarding should make a cupsole campus
    [close]

They did. They had a series of Campus ADV in the last 4-5 years I believe. Took a modernized version of the OG Campus sole and made it more tech on the bottom and added a heel guard thing. They later removed it before they slowed down or stopped (not sure which as I haven't seen new colors in awhile) production on the shoe altogether.

Now, they botched these as there was a mixed reaction to these. Not faithful enough but also not too tech and new direction enough to be different in its own and good way.

Would be cool to get a proper skate version of the 80s Campus in regular rotation, just like how they made Superstars a staple. I'd also enjoy a skate version of the puffy Campus, personally.

See the Campus ADV photos here:

Those are Vulcs
    For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
    « Reply #96 on: December 15, 2023, 08:24:33 AM »
    If they ever stop making Tyshawn Mids i'll probably have to quit skating...on something like my 15th pair.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
    • Rep: 858
    « Reply #97 on: December 15, 2023, 08:48:23 AM »
    Expand Quote
    Expand Quote
      Expand Quote
      Expand Quote
      I like Adidas and pretty much always have. Even before they ever had a skate line I would skate stan smiths, or shelltoes. Right now I find the Nora to be a nearly perfect skate shoe. They arent the best for chilling though, but for skating I love them.

[close]

same - also want to add that non skate Stan smiths skated better (lasted longer) than the advs.  if I had to run the ninja warrior course, id do it in a pair of Busenitz with the long tongue

[close]

I’ll use this post to get on my soap box and suggest that adidas skateboarding should make a cupsole campus
      [close]

They did. They had a series of Campus ADV in the last 4-5 years I believe. Took a modernized version of the OG Campus sole and made it more tech on the bottom and added a heel guard thing. They later removed it before they slowed down or stopped (not sure which as I haven't seen new colors in awhile) production on the shoe altogether.

Now, they botched these as there was a mixed reaction to these. Not faithful enough but also not too tech and new direction enough to be different in its own and good way.

Would be cool to get a proper skate version of the 80s Campus in regular rotation, just like how they made Superstars a staple. I'd also enjoy a skate version of the puffy Campus, personally.

[close]

Those are Vulcs
      Pretty sure they were cup even with a midsole and everything. Clear sole version easier to see

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
      • SLAP Pal
      • Rep: 1078
      « Reply #98 on: December 15, 2023, 08:54:07 AM »
      Does anyone care about a shoe brand if you're not a shareholder?

I see people wearing Adidas pretty regularly. I had a pair of Busenitz once and they were functionally a torturous foot binding apparatus.
      This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
      • Rep: 478
      « Reply #99 on: December 15, 2023, 01:24:17 PM »
      Expand Quote
      Expand Quote
        Expand Quote
        Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Those are Vulcs

I provided CLEAR photos showing they’re cup soles.  Both colorways are cupsoles. They're not vulcs.
        Super Champion Fun Zone

WayneKerr

• Rep: -2
        « Reply #100 on: December 15, 2023, 06:59:17 PM »
        I’ve got those clear ones. Currently skating them. Feel like a vulc to me
        Dork tricks ain't nothing new, people just get internet likes for them now instead of being called a faggot like when I was a kid

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
        « Reply #101 on: December 16, 2023, 03:44:02 PM »
        "feel like vulcs" absolutely not. The grip is terrible, and the sole is one piece. not up for debate peasant
        big texas cummer

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 35
        « Reply #102 on: December 16, 2023, 04:55:08 PM »
        Thrasher cares about Adidas

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
        • Rep: 32
        • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
        • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
        « Reply #103 on: December 17, 2023, 03:07:10 AM »
        Thrasher cares about Adidas
        Underrated comment
        Expand Quote
        forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
        [close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
        • Rep: 146
        • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
        « Reply #104 on: December 17, 2023, 06:42:31 AM »
        I want to care about them more but they just don’t have that spark (not to mention quality) they had when they first entered the market. We talk about the Silas 1 on here a lot, but I honestly doubt they could bring that shoe back with the same quality that was present when it dropped.
        Also, their only vegan options come from Blondey, and I defs don’t want people seeing the haggard socks I wear…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
        « Reply #105 on: December 17, 2023, 08:05:39 AM »

The “stitching” around the sole is fake and molded in. They’re vulcs. I too have had them.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
        • Rep: 858
        « Reply #106 on: December 17, 2023, 08:13:40 AM »
        What is it about a cupsole that you want? I think that's as close as you're going to get from Adidas. It's got a midsole (think it's their "bounce" stuff whatever that is). The rubbers probably the same thickness as any skate cupsole and Adidas doesn't actually do true vulc shoes anyway, they just glue all the components together rather than melting it all together in an oven

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
        « Reply #107 on: December 17, 2023, 08:19:41 AM »
        Expand Quote
        [close]

The “stitching” around the sole is fake and molded in. They’re vulcs. I too have had them.

They’re still cupsoles brother. The midsole and upper sit inside a molded rubber cup and are glued in, sometimes stitched as well.

On a vulcanized shoe, the sidewall rubber is wrapped around the shoe and fused to the upper and bottom. You can see the seam on the side of a vulc shoe where the two ends of the rubber come together.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
        • Rep: 245
          • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
        « Reply #108 on: December 17, 2023, 08:44:37 AM »
        My feeling is that they haven't stepped in the right direction, they have a few interesting things but their prices aren't that attractive. For me NB is filling this gap in terms of desire/quality.

They have a really good team but sometimes they're showcasing people like Blondey, Maite or Heitor too much.

I would like them to take a little more risk with more technical shoes, even in classic models.

That been said I'm using the Puig right now and it's amazing to skate but I don't feel them aesthetically.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
        « Reply #109 on: December 17, 2023, 08:56:37 AM »
        Shit. I guess you’re right. Lemme adjust my thought process:

Adidas should make a skate cup campus vulc that isn’t thinner and floppier than an era

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
        • Rep: 1584
        « Reply #110 on: December 17, 2023, 09:48:15 AM »
        If adidas’ whole line dropped through ASICS, skateboarding would collectively lose its mind…..it’s not Adidas…it’s us…

We expect these brands to keep pumping us full of new shit….

WayneKerr

• Rep: -2
        « Reply #111 on: December 17, 2023, 08:09:46 PM »
        Shit. I guess you’re right. Lemme adjust my thought process:

Adidas should make a skate cup campus vulc that isn’t thinner and floppier than an era

hahaha 100% they're the floppiest thinnest cupsole i've ever skated then
        Dork tricks ain't nothing new, people just get internet likes for them now instead of being called a faggot like when I was a kid

intendedreceivers

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2023, 07:52:54 PM »
        I’ve worked for the brand for 15 years (not in skateboarding), and like any huge company, there’s going to be a mix of excellent high-end products and some that are intended to hit those lower price points as well. In general, the price points are pretty good indicators of what you’re getting in terms of material and build quality. Find what you like and what works best for you.

In my opinion, the best cups are:

Forum ADV (beefy)
        Puig (medium)
        Samba ADV (slim)
        (Honorable mention for the Busenitz vintage, as I prefer the slimmer feel of these to the regular Boozies)

And my favorite vulcs are:

Nora
        Matchbreak Super
        Gazelle ADV
        (Honorable mention for the Superskate, but they don’t come around very often)

I like these for chilling, but they’re either too thin, too flexible, or they don’t fit well enough around my heel and ankle to inspire confidence on the board:

Campus ADV
        Puig Indoor
        Busenitz Vulc
        (I think I’d put the Aloha here as the honorable mention; my feet slide around in them and they feel like they’re broken in right out of the box)

Anything else falls squarely in the middle for me, as in, I generally like them and feel comfortable skating them, but they don’t crack my top tier:

Superstar ADV
        Copa Nationale
        Tyshawn
        Nizza ADV
        Busenitz
        Stan Smith ADV
        Etc.
        « Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 08:03:36 PM by intendedreceivers »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
        • Rep: 502
          • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
        « Reply #113 on: December 18, 2023, 09:52:11 PM »
        this guy

and these guys

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 110
        « Reply #114 on: December 19, 2023, 11:39:38 AM »
        If adidas’ whole line dropped through ASICS, skateboarding would collectively lose its mind…..it’s not Adidas…it’s us…

We expect these brands to keep pumping us full of new shit….

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
        « Reply #115 on: January 03, 2024, 04:49:32 PM »
        Did they fully shelve the puig shoe with the cupsole with that "V" detail on the heel? I loved those despite the goofy sole, the puig indoor does nothing for me and seems like a straight up inferior product lol

montanaco

• Rep: -3
        « Reply #116 on: January 03, 2024, 04:52:33 PM »
        Did they fully shelve the puig shoe with the cupsole with that "V" detail on the heel? I loved those despite the goofy sole, the puig indoor does nothing for me and seems like a straight up inferior product lol

Puig indoor ripped in a session for me and are super non-breathable. But…they fit like a glove and feel secure. Most bipolar shoe experience I’ve had in a while.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
        « Reply #117 on: January 03, 2024, 04:59:43 PM »
        Expand Quote
        [close]

Puig indoor ripped in a session for me and are super non-breathable. But…they fit like a glove and feel secure. Most bipolar shoe experience I’ve had in a while.

This was the exact same experience a friend of mine had with them, said they fit great, but absolutely terrible durability. He did get a pair of tyshawns later which he said really enjoyed though

intendedreceivers

« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2024, 06:57:57 PM »

The Puig is a much better shoe for skating than the Indoor in my opinion (see my previous post here for my current list of favorites), and while there are seemingly a million Puig Indoor colorways (I’m guessing this due to it being a lower price point/higher volume model), there’s still been a new colorway or two of the Puig dropping periodically as well. Latest one I saw on the website is a classic black/white with yellow triangle.

I hope it sticks around long-term like the Busenitz if I’m honest. I really like the Puig. It’s basically the shoe I would draw in my notebook in 1999 when the homies and I were on a quest to create the perfect skate shoe (plain toe, hidden lace loops, great heel fit…)

Side note, I finally picked up a pair of the remastered Tyshawns, and I definitely like the fit/shape much more on these vs. the originals. Toe box is less tight, heel fit seems equal or better.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
        « Reply #119 on: March 29, 2024, 07:39:01 AM »
        Saw this meme today, and thought it of relevance. Virtually every middle-class, white person under the age of 40 in London this year is wearing Adidas Samba, Gazelle type shoes. It had been New Balance for a few years, but now they're totally out. I was tempted by those Adidas Mark Gonzales ones; couldn't do it.