Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 77000 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #210 on: July 28, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »
Guess it depends on if the baseplate nut thing locks into place or not (doubtful) - having to remove the entire truck to swap bushings would suck.

The while truck/design is like something no one really wanted. I get having hex and allen but...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:05:59 PM by Xen »

pointandclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »
Expand Quote
The upcoming Krux K5s are switching over to the same hex/allen kingpin design, along with the threaded baseplates (shaft nut).
[close]
the kingpins are going to be threaded in fr? snap city lmfao
you mean like how krux currently has threaded kingpins?

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2020, 08:41:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The upcoming Krux K5s are switching over to the same hex/allen kingpin design, along with the threaded baseplates (shaft nut).
[close]
[close]
I'm not a krux expert but I thought they just had a hex bolt in the baseplate. thats a lot stronger than threading into the literal baseplate and also won't ruin your trucks if you crossthread.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #213 on: July 29, 2020, 09:56:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
I'm not a krux expert but I thought they just had a hex bolt in the baseplate. thats a lot stronger than threading into the literal baseplate and also won't ruin your trucks if you crossthread.

To no one in particular: no one's threading a baseplate. You can see on the preview box that was posted on insta the mids have a steel nut insert like every other inverted kingpin. Even looks like there's splines underneath the hex-head so that shit doesn't drop when you need to change bushings/washers. 

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106832.msg3353649#msg3353649

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2020, 12:06:11 PM »
They hexed the plate for that sleeve to fit, but I still don't see how the 'splines' would keep it from falling out (spinning yes but even then, the hex portion would stop that as well); my guess: given how long it is, the sleeve sits flush to the bottom of the plate so that it can't wiggle around/down.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2020, 08:09:45 PM »
Each of us will have to buy a set just to find out how it works.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2020, 09:33:36 PM »
Unless they are covered in rainbows...I'm not buying them....

This just in....krux did that already and have truck blocked Indy....foiled again...

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #217 on: July 29, 2020, 10:39:10 PM »
im mostly curious about what theyll do to the wheelbase

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2020, 09:37:47 AM »
They hexed the plate for that sleeve to fit, but I still don't see how the 'splines' would keep it from falling out (spinning yes but even then, the hex portion would stop that as well); my guess: given how long it is, the sleeve sits flush to the bottom of the plate so that it can't wiggle around/down.

The same way the splines on a normal kingpin do. Raised ridges under the hex head of the insert would bite into the baseplate/be pressed in. While the hex cutout would keep it from spinning like you pointed out. But it's just a guess based on the one photo. A flush insert/baseplate would work too, for sure... Although then I'd wonder about getting that GK nipple thing that used to happen from pressure up against the deck. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2020, 11:26:31 AM »
I was looking at the photo as if that sleeve is not pressed in, but I get what you mean spline-wise as it refers to regular pins; totally remember the GK pressing into the deck issue lol. Honestly it looks just like that design but with a hybrid inverted king.

Truth be told, I'm looking forward to the update krux than I am this mid model...again, it's like they made something no one really wanted? I do find it interesting that Thunder is making one too, I mean, just because Indy and Krux are you have to as well? Same goes for 148s..time Thunder started being innovative instead of reactionary. I am curious why the inverted pin is making such a ruckus these days...maybe it's backlog stuff since may production runs are impossible so they go with low hanging fruit.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2020, 08:24:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The same way the splines on a normal kingpin do. Raised ridges under the hex head of the insert would bite into the baseplate/be pressed in. While the hex cutout would keep it from spinning like you pointed out. But it's just a guess based on the one photo. A flush insert/baseplate would work too, for sure... Although then I'd wonder about getting that GK nipple thing that used to happen from pressure up against the deck. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

pulled some old grind king nut inserts out of my gear bin.
looks like indy is going with something along this style based on the various insta shots.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • the moon rules
« Reply #221 on: August 07, 2020, 12:14:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If they keep using grade 8 bolts then the weak point is the baseplate itself. There won’t be much difference between a threaded baseplate and one that gets a ribbed bolt hammered in place
fuck you bama

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2020, 10:48:12 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »
52mm? These will really mellow out the pop, like close to Ace levels, probably

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2020, 11:45:02 AM »

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2020, 03:54:40 PM »
52mm? These will really mellow out the pop, like close to Ace levels, probably

I skate stage 10 hangers and use them with stage 11 forged baseplates. It makes the truck 51.5mm and it's so perfect - you get a decent turn while still being close enough to snap em so quick your enemy never even gets a chance to reach for the holster. Hopefully these feel similar.

thespacewolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2020, 05:39:43 PM »
Dam 52? Where is Thunder and Thunder Teams at compared to this?

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2020, 07:03:44 PM »
I wonder if they’ll release a forged hollow version, or if the baseplate is the same as a stage 11, and that the forged plates could be swapped in. I’ll probably try out a pair of 149’s, but I thought these were 53.5 tall, now they are listed as 52?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2020, 08:19:08 AM »
Expand Quote
53 kind of makes sense if you're taking in account that Thunder Teams are around 52mm? But realistic I'm not sure how much change that is
Expand Quote
Dam 52? Where is Thunder and Thunder Teams at compared to this?
[close]
[close]

Thunders with forged plates are 52.5mm, the team editions have a cast baseplate, and are 53.5mm, the same height as forged Indys.

Seems as though the masses are being listened too...everyone has or will have an 8.25" truck now, inverted kings will be on all brands and 52/53 mm give or take .5 here and there, seems to be the new standard.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2020, 09:53:22 AM »
I took their Instagram shot and another shot I found of a Hollow Forged from the same angle (https://i1.wp.com/grindking.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/comparison.jpg?w=798&ssl=1 )

- The kingpin seems to be at the exact same angle.

- The axle is pushed further away from the kingpin.  If the baseplate is drilled in the same place as the stage XI then the truck in going to have a wider wheelbase and more like a Thunder pop. (however,  they could have drilled the baseplate more central like Thunder does and kept the axle in relation to the holes similar).   

- There is slightly more kingpin clearance than with the standard height ones.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2020, 11:13:34 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2020, 11:27:55 AM »

"inverted kingpin and baseplate will be sold separately in Spring, Trucks avail in October."

So I can slap my TI hanger on and be good to go...does it still make it a mid? If they are selling just pins and plates seems like all the work was done to the plate.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 11:35:43 AM by Xen »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2020, 12:31:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"inverted kingpin and baseplate will be sold separately in Spring, Trucks avail in October."

So I can slap my TI hanger on and be good to go...does it still make it a mid? If they are selling just pins and plates seems like all the work was done to the plate.

I think they lowered they height of the hanger. Don't think they can forge the baseplate any smaller due to stability reasons.

Soo, the Mindys will be 1.5 mm lower as hollow forged Indys? I am not sure if I will notice that when I ride them. ^^
IG: @flowterspace

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: September 08, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think they lowered they height of the hanger. Don't think they can forge the baseplate any smaller due to stability reasons.

Soo, the Mindys will be 1.5 mm lower as hollow forged Indys? I am not sure if I will notice that when I ride them. ^^

That's what I've been saying all along. 1.5mm will only make a difference in wheelbite, if that's an issue for some...and that 1.5mm drop won't be worth the weight increase of going to a standard.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #234 on: September 08, 2020, 01:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's what I've been saying all along. 1.5mm will only make a difference in wheelbite, if that's an issue for some...and that 1.5mm drop won't be worth the weight increase of going to a standard.

Are titaniums the same height as hollow forged?
MAYBE a Mindy Titanium could be nice.
IG: @flowterspace

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2020, 06:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Are titaniums the same height as hollow forged?
MAYBE a Mindy Titanium could be nice.

Yeah, forged indy's are 53.5, hollow or tit.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #236 on: September 08, 2020, 06:57:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't know how noticeable it will feel to you, but going from a Thunder to an Indy with 2.5mm difference fucked me up. The indys made me feel like my board was way too high off of the ground. Couldn't handle it and went back to thunders. Later switched to thunder teams that are 1mm taller and adjusted relatively quickly. Took maybe a day. Truck madness is fucking weird, man.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #237 on: September 09, 2020, 11:25:02 AM »
It's cool they're doing this as an interchangeable plate with the difference between mids and highs being in the hanger (ala Venture). Also hyped they're doing this as a 159.

I know a couple people mentioned the 1.5mm difference between these and forged, but the height of the forged comes from the plate whereas this comes from the hanger. I'm sure the geometry will be a bit different and hopefully will rotate the wheels in more (like Ace) to compensate for the height.

Whatever the case, I'm psyched to try these.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #238 on: September 10, 2020, 11:37:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't know how noticeable it will feel to you, but going from a Thunder to an Indy with 2.5mm difference fucked me up. The indys made me feel like my board was way too high off of the ground. Couldn't handle it and went back to thunders. Later switched to thunder teams that are 1mm taller and adjusted relatively quickly. Took maybe a day. Truck madness is fucking weird, man.

2.5mm maybe, but we're talking 1.5mm (like you noted above the 1mm difference didn't fuck with you too much...roughly the thickness of a grain of rice, or 15 sheets of 80 gsm (Bond) photocopy paper...or swapping a 51.5mm wheel for a 52.5mm wheels...that's pretty negligible to me (and I've swapped back and forth on trucks indy ti @53.5, to ACE or Theeve @52mm to whatever the fuck thunders are now and it's never phased me...only going to 55mm indy standards of Tensors throw me off..

I could the pairing of wheel size throwing you off tho if you are used to a specific combo...remember when Indy put out that FAQ for SXI where they said if  you feel 55mm is too high, and you want the old standard height of 53.5 (forged now) just drop down in wheelsize?

I'm still not sure why they even made this other than team riders wanting a lower, standard cast truck instead of the 55mm as I doubt ACE being 52mm is eating into their marketshare.

And re-reading the indy posts on insta, yeah, it's a 'lower profile' hanger, so the pin and plate for sale will just net you a standard indy.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:45:03 PM by Xen »

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2020, 09:58:54 AM »