Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 751509 times)

Lukabrazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5760 on: September 03, 2022, 07:49:57 AM »
If they're not out in 60s, that's me out. I'm not super concerned. I've never tried hollow anything before (except the Krux kingpins).

At the moment doesn’t look like 60’s are available

Anyone gone from venture lows to ace 33 lows ?

nevrwasben

« Reply #5761 on: September 05, 2022, 08:24:26 AM »
SoCal skate shop has em now too, no 60s
I think they must’ve sold out already, because I only saw the LOW Hollows when checking.
Furnace has em, also no 60 tho…
https://www.furnaceskate.com/collections/trucks/products/ace-af1-hollow-polished?variant=41889283473592

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5762 on: September 05, 2022, 12:43:12 PM »
I just picked up a pair of AF1 66 Hollow Polished.

They weigh 386 grams with washers and without the little red re-threading nuts.

Well, one of them weighs 387g, but yeah, I’m not going to think about that one too hard…back truck? Kidding.

Happy Madness, everyone.

That 387g is totally going to end up on the back.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #5763 on: September 06, 2022, 08:44:16 AM »
Interested in the hollows

Anyone have pics of any hollow axle trucks that have been ground down to the axle?

Does the hollow axle create a situation where the empty space in the trucks will get the hanger stuck on curbs or any grinds?

I slappy a lot and axle trucks pretty quick. Gonna plunge into af1 from classics soon but not sure to go hollow or not.

nothing's been the since same

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5764 on: September 06, 2022, 09:21:49 AM »

Anyone have pics of any hollow axle trucks that have been ground down to the axle?

Does the hollow axle create a situation where the empty space in the trucks will get the hanger stuck on curbs or any grinds?

I slappy a lot and axle trucks pretty quick. Gonna plunge into af1 from classics soon but not sure to go hollow or not.

Can't speak to the ace hollows, but I'm well into the hollow axle of my indy's and haven't had any issues yet. There's a little divot in the axle where it's collapsed a little bit, but the actual hollow part is so small and the axles is sort of being closed as you grind, so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2237
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5765 on: September 06, 2022, 12:44:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can't speak to the ace hollows, but I'm well into the hollow axle of my indy's and haven't had any issues yet. There's a little divot in the axle where it's collapsed a little bit, but the actual hollow part is so small and the axles is sort of being closed as you grind, so it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Yup.
Once you're into the hollow axle enough to "cut it open," you're likely just a short time away from bending the hanger anyways. I managed to get a set of trucks to that state & it was only a few good sessions later that the axles bent & a hanger cracked.
As for the grinds, I never noticed a problem w/ snagging or hanging up as a result of the axle being opened up.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5766 on: September 06, 2022, 02:03:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Yup.
Once you're into the hollow axle enough to "cut it open," you're likely just a short time away from bending the hanger anyways. I managed to get a set of trucks to that state & it was only a few good sessions later that the axles bent & a hanger cracked.
As for the grinds, I never noticed a problem w/ snagging or hanging up as a result of the axle being opened up.

listen to the truck god

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #5767 on: September 06, 2022, 02:49:04 PM »
Now since the axle is hollow does that make the hanger weaker and prone to snapping once your'e at that point of being so axled? Don't think i've bent a hanger and have been kinda hoping to snap a hanger to feel badass tho.

most of my trucks grind very down to the axle but my trucks normally fail and are deemed unusable when the axle nut is pretty much worn down on one side, unable to be tightened or loosened, bushings or pivot cup break and can't take the hanger of. still would like to see pics of how a ground down hollow axle looks.

thanks for the responses. I'm sure hollow axles aren't anything to worry about. guess i can just try them myself

and to be clear, the new af1 hollows are the same dimensions as af1 regular right. any slappers take measuring tools to the new trucks yet

DillsDarts

• Rep: -22
« Reply #5768 on: September 06, 2022, 03:05:21 PM »
If they're not out in 60s, that's me out. I'm not super concerned. I've never tried hollow anything before (except the Krux kingpins).

I’m pretty positive you’ll be able to swap the hollow hangers out just as you were the lows…
'Offensive career gets one do over, last attitude gets two tries. Cariuma riders have a bigger margin for error but will ultimately be decided by the referee'.
[/quote]

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #5769 on: September 06, 2022, 03:32:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m pretty positive you’ll be able to swap the hollow hangers out just as you were the lows…

Genius plan

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5770 on: September 06, 2022, 04:26:50 PM »
Now since the axle is hollow does that make the hanger weaker and prone to snapping once your'e at that point of being so axled? Don't think i've bent a hanger and have been kinda hoping to snap a hanger to feel badass tho.

most of my trucks grind very down to the axle but my trucks normally fail and are deemed unusable when the axle nut is pretty much worn down on one side, unable to be tightened or loosened, bushings or pivot cup break and can't take the hanger of. still would like to see pics of how a ground down hollow axle looks.

thanks for the responses. I'm sure hollow axles aren't anything to worry about. guess i can just try them myself

and to be clear, the new af1 hollows are the same dimensions as af1 regular right. any slappers take measuring tools to the new trucks yet

Hollow axle won't have any effect on the strength of the hanger. I'm sure they're essentially identical. Maybe the axle itself will break sooner than a non-hollow axle, but at that point you're trucks are essentially dead anyway.

A photo of my truck below. It sort of looks like my axle has an axle, there's basically a little ditch in the middle of it. So far, it mostly just collects wax, it doesn't seem to get caught on anything...

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #5771 on: September 06, 2022, 04:48:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hollow axle won't have any effect on the strength of the hanger. I'm sure they're essentially identical. Maybe the axle itself will break sooner than a non-hollow axle, but at that point you're trucks are essentially dead anyway.

A photo of my truck below. It sort of looks like my axle has an axle, there's basically a little ditch in the middle of it. So far, it mostly just collects wax, it doesn't seem to get caught on anything...

Thanks for the pic. Nice eagle. That board always gets me stoked. I’m reluctant to admit an axled truck is dead lol that’s when the truck is well seasoned.

I see what you mean. If it collects wax hardcore it should be fine. Plus I’m sure the metal smears and fills the gap anyway.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5772 on: September 06, 2022, 04:50:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the pic. Nice eagle. That board always gets me stoked. I’m reluctant to admit an axled truck is dead lol that’s when the truck is well seasoned.

I see what you mean. If it collects wax hardcore it should be fine. Plus I’m sure the metal smears and fills the gap anyway.

I was hoping that there would actually be a sick little hole in the middle of my truck, but no luck. I actually used a key to scrape the built up wax out so you could see the little ditch clearer. At this point I'm running these trucks until something breaks, so maybe there will be updates in the curb thread or truck set up threads later on...

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #5773 on: September 06, 2022, 05:18:48 PM »
Now since the axle is hollow does that make the hanger weaker and prone to snapping once your'e at that point of being so axled?

All things being equal, a hollow axle is as strong or stronger than a solid axle.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
« Reply #5774 on: September 06, 2022, 05:31:59 PM »
In the not Ace but well over halfway through a forged hollow axle club.

Can’t see it in the crappy pic, but it runs up to the kingpin. I tried grinding it in half, but it bent enough to start coning wheels, so they went on a cruiser.
In all honesty, I really think they start grinding better once you hit axle.

*edit if you’re hucking down anything big it may break on you. I’m old and in the low pop zone so no worries.

CaptainCheeks

• Rep: 5
« Reply #5775 on: September 07, 2022, 03:52:56 AM »
Anybody put the low ace bushings in their standard height trucks for a looser ride. Whats the best loose bushings for aces

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5776 on: September 07, 2022, 08:17:16 AM »
just got ACE AF1 Size 60. gonna set them up soon
I got Independent Hard Bushings to go with them, hopefully they fit

IpathCats

« Reply #5777 on: September 07, 2022, 10:07:20 AM »
just got ACE AF1 Size 60. gonna set them up soon
I got Independent Hard Bushings to go with them, hopefully they fit
bottom cylinder will be a little shorter, thus bringing your wb in a hair.

side note, i love the indy hards. favorite bushings.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5778 on: September 07, 2022, 09:55:03 PM »
Anybody put the low ace bushings in their standard height trucks for a looser ride. Whats the best loose bushings for aces

I found swapping cupped washers for flat ones (both top and bottom) smoothed out the feel of the stock bushings while leaning into a carve.

With stock cupped washers the lean into a turn feels like it has stages to me. Flat washers have the turn feeling more fluid and surfy.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5779 on: September 08, 2022, 07:01:28 AM »
ok so when i first put them together i was like "man this is way too fucking loose"

cranked it down a bunch of threads til it eventaully sorta felt tight again. wasnt a huge fan , felt like i was fighting it. noticed the gummy was coming out of the cup a bit too. didnt want that. un cranked it back to normal again like 1-2 thread. tried riding it again like this and actually this time it didnt seem that bad. it is very loose, but it felt so much more stable than my indy;s did when they were really loose. i could push really fast and i wasnt wobbling around, it was only turning when i needed it to.

idk if i could skate stairs / drops with it like this, but i think i can do basically everything else. i actually really like the way it turns. the pinch feels absolutely insane. so mcuh better.im not really sure why. it feels like i am going to wheel bite a lot with this but it might not be too bad. i am riding like ~56-57mm wheels rn and i dont wanna set up risers.

do you guys normally ride smaller wheels with these trucks?

i have another board at 8.5" i can do stairs with if i really want to...

IpathCats

« Reply #5780 on: September 08, 2022, 07:15:23 AM »
ok so when i first put them together i was like "man this is way too fucking loose"

cranked it down a bunch of threads til it eventaully sorta felt tight again. wasnt a huge fan , felt like i was fighting it. noticed the gummy was coming out of the cup a bit too. didnt want that. un cranked it back to normal again like 1-2 thread. tried riding it again like this and actually this time it didnt seem that bad. it is very loose, but it felt so much more stable than my indy;s did when they were really loose. i could push really fast and i wasnt wobbling around, it was only turning when i needed it to.

idk if i could skate stairs / drops with it like this, but i think i can do basically everything else. i actually really like the way it turns. the pinch feels absolutely insane. so mcuh better.im not really sure why. it feels like i am going to wheel bite a lot with this but it might not be too bad. i am riding like ~56-57mm wheels rn and i dont wanna set up risers.

The deep turn helps with wheelbite, but they are still a 53mm tall truck that likes to turn so wheelbite is always possible.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5781 on: September 08, 2022, 07:50:26 AM »

The bushings were stupid loose feeling right away but really wear in nicely after a while, so although they are still turny and loose feeling, they seem like they balance out a lot more after a few sessions too.

At least that is how it seems to me on the few sets I have on boards.

For people who prefer tighter trucks in general, others have said the hard bushing kit is good as well.

I have 56mm wheels on a set of AF1 55s with a minimal rubber pad in there, maybe not even 1mm and they skate well, along with a set of 55mm wheels on Classic 44s with the same rubber pads on another board.

Might need a touch more than that for 58mm wheels though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5782 on: September 08, 2022, 08:57:31 AM »

The rule of thumb for breaking in Aces is to ride them stock tightness until they break in, which can take a few days. The bushing popping out is normal (and a sign that they arent broken in yet).They stiffen up when fully broken in and are more reboundy.

I ride 56mm, no riser, and rarely wheel bite

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #5783 on: September 08, 2022, 03:05:17 PM »
I once again wanna say that there's no such thing as "stock tightness" with Ace. They are not assembled with a torque wrench; some guy with a pneumatic hammer at the factory wizzed them on to whatever he felt like. When my AF-1s arrived, there were like three threads showing on one truck and none showing on the other.

Adjust them however you like and give them time for the bushings to break in.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #5784 on: September 08, 2022, 05:12:05 PM »
Is this a typo/inaccurate listing, or are there actually low hollows (meaning hollow axle) also?
https://www.paradeworld.com/products/ace-af1-low-hollow-trucks-polished-assorted-sizes-348-7795175162111/

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #5785 on: September 10, 2022, 02:22:14 AM »
the bushing popping out never happened to me or anyone i know. just posting this so those who believe slap is reality can see its not everyone's experience that they pop out

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5786 on: September 10, 2022, 06:35:09 AM »
Is this a typo/inaccurate listing, or are there actually low hollows (meaning hollow axle) also?
https://www.paradeworld.com/products/ace-af1-low-hollow-trucks-polished-assorted-sizes-348-7795175162111/

I was curious and had a look.

The information from the "Details" tab, which may not show up on mobile or other device that comes up on a computer has a whole lot of info from the manufacturer, as per the Ace info when released, which states hollow kingpin, but nothing about hollow axle.

They are definitely the new low version though, coming in at 49mm in height.

Guessing you would not be the first and definitely not the last to question the hollow axle thing, as that was the one of the main questions people were asking about the new ones coming out, but as yet it is only hollow kingpins that I have seen.

Does ace make hollow trucks?

The ACE AF1 LOW features HOLLOW Kingpins for a lightweight, lower profile AF1.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #5787 on: September 10, 2022, 01:45:43 PM »
I’m really liking my current setup with the new AF1-66 Hollows (kingpin and axle, not low) on a 9.0 Polar popsicle. I was about to get some 169 Hollows, but the shop had the new Ace drop in stock. 1/8th risers and wheels wells too.

Ace Hard bushings are feeling nice on there for the most part. At times I wish they were softer, but mostly they’re just right. No clicking.

I’ve really enjoyed my classic 44’s and 55’s in the past as well but I think these AF1 66 Hollows are my favorite so far. Time and Madness will tell.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5788 on: September 10, 2022, 01:54:54 PM »
yeah once i have them normal again, the bushing is not slipping out at all. it was not sitting with me right that i had the nut cranked down on it like that, was just sitting in work thinking about it and had to go out to my car and loosen it up right away. doesnt seem like i did any damage to the bushing (i didnt crank it that hard, maybe 3-4 threads) so now its back to ~1 and feels perfect.

day 3 now on them,
i actually got really use to it just having it at stock really quickly and forgot i was even on new trucks the 3rd session. as i said before, it is actually super stable if you are on top of it and it felt like it did when i had the indy's Tight. but when i need to turn, fuck yes it turns, and just how i need it to.

i dont really feel any sense of needing to "get used" to these trucks anymore. all my grinds are going really well.

it feels way more fun to skate. slappys and wallride tricks feel way easier because i can make the approach i want. i feel like i dont need to abandon tries as often due to not getting the correct steering. i dont really skate stairs anymore and havent for a long time... so i dont see why this wouldtn be my normal truck from now on.

the way it feels when you pick it up feels AMAZING nice and smooth. indys feel rough as heel and axles exposed.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 49
« Reply #5789 on: September 10, 2022, 06:43:02 PM »
Lol just set up my first Aces, AF1 55's, and just found out those new hollows exist. Been skating hollow indys for years, and the aces for sure seem kinda heavy. Prolly just gonna stick with it? But I kinda want those hollows tho!