Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 546158 times)

Seventyfrigginseven

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1920 on: August 22, 2020, 10:34:36 AM »
I just looked at that board like 10 minutes before Maccat's post. WB is short at 13.75" so I'm interested. Looks like a really fun shape.
Whoa! did you find any in stock anywhere?

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1921 on: August 22, 2020, 10:41:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I just looked at that board like 10 minutes before Maccat's post. WB is short at 13.75" so I'm interested. Looks like a really fun shape.
[close]
So sorry actually meant to include the link:
https://socalskateshop.com/Prime-Wood-LA-Blank-DM-Shaped-Deck-Orange-Stain-938x3175.html#!?cc_decks=95339&c=cc_grip-tape
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1922 on: August 22, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
So sorry actually meant to include the link:
https://socalskateshop.com/Prime-Wood-LA-Blank-DM-Shaped-Deck-Orange-Stain-938x3175.html#!?cc_decks=95339&c=cc_grip-tape
Thank you man, I can finally retire my current big boy.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1923 on: August 22, 2020, 01:02:30 PM »

Heroin very big egg 10’
Mob
Indy Ti 169
Spitfire f4 55mm conical full 99a
Bones reds

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1924 on: August 22, 2020, 05:25:07 PM »

whats the width over the trucks on the big egg? trying to decide if I wanna go with 169s or 55s when I inevitably cop.

Might fuck around and just become "the egg guy," and have eggs for both set ups.

animalflesh

« Reply #1925 on: August 22, 2020, 06:42:10 PM »
Big egg with ace 66 is a perfect fit

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1926 on: August 22, 2020, 09:22:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love that Prime S5 shape.
[close]
What's the WB on that? I love the looks of that.
[close]
Me too! Look at that rounded tail... Tre's and impossible's would be so nice I bet!
Ha, if only I had either!

First shape in almost twenty years of skating where I had to have another straight after the last. Love the quality and can’t wait until they put some more out...teal and pink would be dope.

Also wonder if it’s an original shape, or a play on something in the back catalog. Runs 169s pretty perfect.

animalflesh

« Reply #1927 on: August 22, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »

Deathwish 9.1 x 32 (13.875 WB)
Ace 55
Spitfire 53mm F4 99 Classics
Shortys/Reds/Jessup

I had originally bought this because it was similar in shape and dimensions to the Girl loveseat shape but on BBS wood. I also like the graphic a lot, though I'm kind of bummed that it has a blonde ply below it (which I'll admit is petty, but I've been spoiled). Anyway, I rolled my ankle pretty bad last weekend and am still not 100 so I just took this out for a few slappies and no complies and am pretty hyped. The loveseat had a ton of flat and then super abrupt kicks, whereas this feels like a mellow Baker mold where there is still some flat but the kicks are more gradual. I wasn't feeling up to trying anything switch/nollie but the nose feels nice and I think I'm going to like it.

Posted the top because the 55s work nicely with it and I want to say it is like 8.875" over the front pair of the back bolts. I can't wait for Ace to make an 8.75" truck but these aren't hotrodding or anything. I took out the MiniLogo bushings I was ruining because, though they were nice, the color and logo were annoying me and I felt like the hardness of the barrel made the turn a little too slow.

Love the look of this

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1928 on: August 23, 2020, 04:58:49 AM »

Heroin very big egg 10’
Mob
Indy Ti 169
Bones reds
top view! Thoughts overall?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1929 on: August 23, 2020, 07:19:53 AM »

Heroin very big egg 10’
Mob
Indy Ti 169
Bones reds

Uuu.. I wanna try those big egg..

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1930 on: August 23, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »
Expand Quote

Deathwish 9.1 x 32 (13.875 WB)
Ace 55
Spitfire 53mm F4 99 Classics
Shortys/Reds/Jessup

I had originally bought this because it was similar in shape and dimensions to the Girl loveseat shape but on BBS wood. I also like the graphic a lot, though I'm kind of bummed that it has a blonde ply below it (which I'll admit is petty, but I've been spoiled). Anyway, I rolled my ankle pretty bad last weekend and am still not 100 so I just took this out for a few slappies and no complies and am pretty hyped. The loveseat had a ton of flat and then super abrupt kicks, whereas this feels like a mellow Baker mold where there is still some flat but the kicks are more gradual. I wasn't feeling up to trying anything switch/nollie but the nose feels nice and I think I'm going to like it.

Posted the top because the 55s work nicely with it and I want to say it is like 8.875" over the front pair of the back bolts. I can't wait for Ace to make an 8.75" truck but these aren't hotrodding or anything. I took out the MiniLogo bushings I was ruining because, though they were nice, the color and logo were annoying me and I felt like the hardness of the barrel made the turn a little too slow.
[close]

Love the look of this

Thanks! After this session I ended up putting the mini logos back in and put my super worn tablets back on. I was getting pretty ghostly so I just needed to step back into my comfort zone a bit.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1931 on: August 23, 2020, 10:21:24 AM »

whats the width over the trucks on the big egg? trying to decide if I wanna go with 169s or 55s when I inevitably cop.

Might fuck around and just become "the egg guy," and have eggs for both set ups.

9.6 ish for front trucks and 9.5 ish for back trucks. The 169’s are perfect imo.

I’m in the same boat with the Egg guy thing. I’m really loving these shapes and having a hard time wanting to ride my normal popsicle lol

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1932 on: August 23, 2020, 10:34:53 AM »
Expand Quote

Heroin very big egg 10’
Mob
Indy Ti 169
Bones reds
[close]
top view! Thoughts overall?

So far, I love it! I just came off a 9.4 and then a 9.125 egg so it’s not too much of a jump up. The kicks/concave feel deeper than the 9.125 Villani egg I just had, which I like. Takes a bit more effort to do stuff, but also feels better under my feet and I feel more control over ledge tricks with this set up.

The Indy Ti are a little lighter, which might just be a mental thing but it helps a little, since usually big set ups feel a bit sluggish to me. I had Thunder 151’s on my previous set up and the 169’s feel better (roomier) for the stuff I’m working on right now (trying to get better at Smith grinds).

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1933 on: August 23, 2020, 07:50:03 PM »

I took my family to the coast today and stumbled across an amazing skateshop on my walk to the beach. Unfortunately for my wallet they had a shit ton of Polar decks/shaped decks on the wall. I went with the 1992 because it has a 14.25 wb and I liked the shape. Anyhow, to be able to go into a shop and pick a shaped deck with alot of options is almost a sexual experience.
*Edit* forgot a picture
Threw my same stuff on it, Jury is still out on the 6.1s, but I have only skated them a couple times. Hopefully they work well with this setup.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:41:41 AM by Seventyfrigginseven »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1934 on: August 24, 2020, 12:27:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

New Winkowski Shape 10 x 31.59 (14.5wb)
169 (conical bushings + flat washer)
OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

Same concave, longer nose, wider at the back truck and narrower at the tail. It’s interesting, definitely an improvement but I miss the old tail. Fucking excited though
[close]

ooohhhh weeeee. This is right up my alley, I never wanted to get an "old" Winkowski due to the lack of nose.
[close]
Same here, That looks pretty close to the perfect shape.I am proud of myself for not buying one yet.
[close]

I definitely like it, but there’s just something about it that’s not quite right. Feels like an extremely flat popsicle until you go to pop then you remember it’s not a normal board at all. Can still do everything on it, but not everything feels right on it.
[close]
Somehow I think I know exactly what you mean, without ever seeing one in person..let alone ever skating one. I am grateful you said something, because I am giving up on finding the "tombstone" shape I am truly looking for and would of eventually settled for the Winkowski.Not that they are similar, just because it looked like it would pop/flip good too.

Someday I will find this..mark my words  :)
[close]

I don't know much about old skool shapes (born 1991) but that tombstone shape looks awesome. Reminds me of the brown bomber, just bigger.
[close]
It's very similar to the first board I ever owned, which was before you were even born  ;D I actually own a Zero deck that is almost exact to this..but it is getting tired.

That is rad. What was your first board? On a similar note.. That Corey O'Brien Reaper reissue screams my name. But it is huge (for me) and I am not sure about the short nose. Any experiences?
IG: @flowterspace

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1935 on: August 24, 2020, 01:06:45 PM »

I took my family to the coast today and stumbled across an amazing skateshop on my walk to the beach. Unfortunately for my wallet they had a shit ton of Polar decks/shaped decks on the wall. I went with the 1992 because it has a 14.25 wb and I liked the shape. Anyhow, to be able to go into a shop and pick a shaped deck with alot of options is almost a sexual experience.
*Edit* forgot a picture
Threw my same stuff on it, Jury is still out on the 6.1s, but I have only skated them a couple times. Hopefully they work well with this setup.

that looks really friggin nice. cant wait to hear about it with 6.1's .

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1936 on: August 24, 2020, 01:16:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

New Winkowski Shape 10 x 31.59 (14.5wb)
169 (conical bushings + flat washer)
OG Classic 58
Swiss
1/8” riser

Same concave, longer nose, wider at the back truck and narrower at the tail. It’s interesting, definitely an improvement but I miss the old tail. Fucking excited though
[close]

ooohhhh weeeee. This is right up my alley, I never wanted to get an "old" Winkowski due to the lack of nose.
[close]
Same here, That looks pretty close to the perfect shape.I am proud of myself for not buying one yet.
[close]

I definitely like it, but there’s just something about it that’s not quite right. Feels like an extremely flat popsicle until you go to pop then you remember it’s not a normal board at all. Can still do everything on it, but not everything feels right on it.
[close]
Somehow I think I know exactly what you mean, without ever seeing one in person..let alone ever skating one. I am grateful you said something, because I am giving up on finding the "tombstone" shape I am truly looking for and would of eventually settled for the Winkowski.Not that they are similar, just because it looked like it would pop/flip good too.

Someday I will find this..mark my words  :)
[close]

I don't know much about old skool shapes (born 1991) but that tombstone shape looks awesome. Reminds me of the brown bomber, just bigger.
[close]
It's very similar to the first board I ever owned, which was before you were even born  ;D I actually own a Zero deck that is almost exact to this..but it is getting tired.
[close]

That is rad. What was your first board? On a similar note.. That Corey O'Brien Reaper reissue screams my name. But it is huge (for me) and I am not sure about the short nose. Any experiences?

Actually this SMA was my first real board. Before that was just penny boards and shit. I will have to check out that O'brien. I have never skated anything with a short nose, so unfortunately I am of now help there man.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1937 on: August 24, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
Expand Quote

*Edit* forgot a picture

[close]
that looks really friggin nice. cant wait to hear about it with 6.1's .
Thanks man, I will let you know how it is after I get out on it this week. I hope they work out because I don't own any other "big" trucks at the moment.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1938 on: August 25, 2020, 06:09:25 AM »
I had to take the thunder 161's off that chocolate couch shape, the taper over the rear truck was showing way too much bolts/wheels and really annoying me. It actually rode very nice, but irritated the rat piss out of me with the football shape/taper. I don't own any trucks with an 8.75 axle, so I'm gonna try some indy 149s on it to see if it's not too odd.

I also just blew out one of my Krux baseplates around the kingpin hole (super wiggly loose) SO i put the 161s on the 9.38 Scram Cope I previously posted. It looks and rides fantastic even though the taper measurements should say otherwise?

JB77

« Reply #1939 on: August 25, 2020, 06:29:44 AM »
I had to take the thunder 161's off that chocolate couch shape, the taper over the rear truck was showing way too much bolts/wheels and really annoying me. It actually rode very nice, but irritated the rat piss out of me with the football shape/taper. I don't own any trucks with an 8.75 axle, so I'm gonna try some indy 149s on it to see if it's not too odd.

I also just blew out one of my Krux baseplates around the kingpin hole (super wiggly loose) SO i put the 161s on the 9.38 Scram Cope I previously posted. It looks and rides fantastic even though the taper measurements should say otherwise?

149’s may work with a few washers on the inside of each wheel.  I get those beveled ones from Decomposed skateboards.  They’re made for freestylers, but they work great because each washer is about the thickness of 2 or 3 flat washers.

https://www.decomposedskateboards.com/hardware/truck-axle-washers-beveled-1

Btw, I just noticed your Jerry avatar!  Swing by the Skate2Junkies forum sometime.  We’ve got a killer Grateful Dead thread going, but we could use another head to contribute to it.

Link is in my signature.  Cheers!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1940 on: August 25, 2020, 06:36:15 AM »
Not the couch but I did the loveseat with 149s and it was perfect. The couch even has a bunch of taper so yeah, just do an extra washer on the inside.

I recently set mine back up with 44s and some extra washers to have a beater to keep at work. We'll see if I get to skate on my break today.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1941 on: August 25, 2020, 06:50:54 AM »
I'll give the 149s a try! and i'll also sign up at that forum!

JB77

« Reply #1942 on: August 25, 2020, 06:56:35 AM »
I'll give the 149s a try! and i'll also sign up at that forum!
Rad!

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1943 on: August 25, 2020, 07:31:05 AM »

I ran both 8.5 trucks and 8.75 trucks on the loveseat..and the 8.5's were far better for me. You might find it will be the same on the couch.

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #1944 on: August 25, 2020, 11:16:53 AM »
Have to admit I bought one:

PP Anderson Deck
Independent 169
PP G-Slides 59mm (sometimes hate the red color,sometimes like it)
Steep concave, no risers needed for 60mm wheels.

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #1945 on: August 25, 2020, 11:18:12 AM »
Side view:

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1946 on: August 26, 2020, 04:41:22 AM »

PP Anderson Deck
Independent 169

I have one on my wall that I’ll use at some point.

But yeah, the concave is really flared at the edges
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

JB77

« Reply #1947 on: August 26, 2020, 06:04:52 AM »

PP Anderson Deck
Independent 169

Funny you say that about the red wheels... I have a set of red Street Plant wheels I feel the same way about.  Some days I like them and some days I hate them, lol.  Mostly like them, but I’ll never buy another set of red wheels.

Andy Anderson is a magician and that board is sick. Nice to see that my 169’s will fit if I ever decide to pull the trigger on one.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #1948 on: August 26, 2020, 06:58:29 AM »

Treated my wide set up to some new 55’s and slimeballs.

Deck is getting a bit tired. Anyone got any ideas for something similar shape, kinda slimmer Dane 1 with a tiny bit more wb? 9.3 ish and 14.25 wb (or close to ) tried the Polar 92 before but didnt love it enough to go back

Liked the look of that lurkville posted a few pages ago but don’t think they’re in the uk.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1949 on: August 26, 2020, 08:31:43 AM »

Treated my wide set up to some new 55’s and slimeballs.

Deck is getting a bit tired. Anyone got any ideas for something similar shape, kinda slimmer Dane 1 with a tiny bit more wb? 9.3 ish and 14.25 wb (or close to ) tried the Polar 92 before but didnt love it enough to go back

Liked the look of that lurkville posted a few pages ago but don’t think they’re in the uk.
This might be your answer if you don't mind the branding.. 9.5 x 31.9(ish)x 14.1 wb. After this picture, I put some 8.75 trucks with 53mm full conicals on and it was perfection. I know not alot of people care for Zero, but I don't care if "the cheif" rubs his balls on each one during production because they skate fucking amazing. It has just been retired and I have no complaints about the longevity. Best shaped deck I have ever skated, without question.