Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547000 times)

disclosed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 183
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4410 on: February 09, 2022, 01:40:59 PM »
Current board:

Nonconform 10' * 31.5 ( 14.25 WB )

Ace classic 66s

Old September Wheels 55mm

Real Rail

Nonconform x Souljah Grip

--

--

--

Damn. snapped right throught the rail and all.
nice you got another one of those decks. i shouldve gotten one i guess. how is skating transition with one rail? i've seen some clips of you on their insta, doesn't is feel weird on disasters and stuff?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4411 on: February 09, 2022, 02:16:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody happen to know to how much https://frogskateboards.com/products/jesse-alba-pro-model-deck tapers? It's 10 at its widest but it reaaaally tapers much at the back truck. I was wondering if it would be less then 8.5? I have 159's and not enough money to buy new trucks unfortunately. If it is 8.5/bigger than that, I don't have to worry about much, if any, hotrodding, better safe than sorry.  :D
[close]

you’ll be fine with 159’s bud. I’ve ran 159’s on an 8.75 football with out a noticeable hotrod.
[close]

alright thanks, than I can keep considering this one.  :)

Maybe it is just cause I had that 80s fish shape a lot growing up and still have a few newer 80s fish shape on modern concaves as cruisers, but as they all taper in significantly at the back, there is always a fair bit of wheel showing over the back axle, which is normal for that type of setup.

The front wheels sit under a touch with almost any size trucks compared to how much the back would stick out, but the most comfortable was 169s on with big square wheels, for period correct looks, but they can be skated with any options (eg 159s) and still work fine.  Some I even have set up with 139s on Mini Cubics and the wheels still sit nicely.

That board looks like it goes in to about 8" over the back trucks, just going by eye with a copy and paste of the front bolts over the back bolts, as per pic below.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #4412 on: February 09, 2022, 02:29:10 PM »
@DefyGravityGuy for what it’s worth, this polar football tapered to 8.2 over the trucks and here it is with my 55 classics on it. No noticeable hotrodding at all. Guarantee you’ll be okay with whatever that frog tapers too.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4413 on: February 09, 2022, 03:02:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Current board:

Ace classic 66s

Real Rail

--

--

--
[close]

nice you got another one of those decks. i shouldve gotten one i guess. how is skating transition with one rail? i've seen some clips of you on their insta, doesn't is feel weird on disasters and stuff?

No, disasters still work the same as before.
But feeble grinds and smith grinds are a lot easier since you lock in a lot easier.

I think it's mainly a habit though. Can't go back to a board without rails and two rails make the board just too slick.

When it comes to the board I have to say that it is my favourite board of all time. The graphic is simple, yet it comes in different stains. The shape is simply perfect for my skating and the wood is very high quality

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #4414 on: February 09, 2022, 04:37:25 PM »
Just set this up today, rides pretty good so far

New Deal Vallely with the @Mbrimson88 scrape job  ;D
(9.5" x 32.375" 14.0"wb)
Ace 66 hanger on Indy Mid baseplate
Andrew Allen Spitfire tablets
assorted bearings
Tummy sticks

Slappy crooks work like a charm on this thing
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 02:08:45 PM by Violator »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4415 on: February 09, 2022, 05:08:18 PM »

(9.5" x 32.375" 14.0"wb)
assorted bearings
Tummy sticks

Purple stain looks so good!!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #4416 on: February 09, 2022, 05:23:23 PM »
Expand Quote

(9.5" x 32.375" 14.0"wb)
assorted bearings
Tummy sticks

[close]

Purple stain looks so good!!!!

I agree, thanks for the inspiration!!

DefyGravityGuy

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4417 on: February 10, 2022, 11:11:46 AM »
@DefyGravityGuy for what it’s worth, this polar football tapered to 8.2 over the trucks and here it is with my 55 classics on it. No noticeable hotrodding at all. Guarantee you’ll be okay with whatever that frog tapers too.

Maybe it is just cause I had that 80s fish shape a lot growing up and still have a few newer 80s fish shape on modern concaves as cruisers, but as they all taper in significantly at the back, there is always a fair bit of wheel showing over the back axle, which is normal for that type of setup.

The front wheels sit under a touch with almost any size trucks compared to how much the back would stick out, but the most comfortable was 169s on with big square wheels, for period correct looks, but they can be skated with any options (eg 159s) and still work fine.  Some I even have set up with 139s on Mini Cubics and the wheels still sit nicely.

That board looks like it goes in to about 8" over the back trucks, just going by eye with a copy and paste of the front bolts over the back bolts, as per pic below.

Awesome, thank you guys for confirming it/explaining stuff!

Rad setup and griptape job btw @Freelancevagrant

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4418 on: February 11, 2022, 10:04:17 AM »
New Polar drop has a Dane 1 with wheel wells - thank you universe

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4419 on: February 11, 2022, 11:46:08 AM »
New Polar drop has a Dane 1 with wheel wells - thank you universe
Super hyped the 1992 is back as well. I thought they were gone forever.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4420 on: February 11, 2022, 12:38:58 PM »
Are Thunder 161's 52.3mm high? Tactics says 49mm but it makes no sense with narrower trucks listed as 52.3

Also if anyone has the weight of 161 hollow lights that'd be awesome
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 01:09:26 PM by MysticalTypeExperience »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4421 on: February 11, 2022, 01:54:29 PM »
Are Thunder 161's 52.3mm high? Tactics says 49mm but it makes no sense with narrower trucks listed as 52.3

Standard are listed as 53mm according to Thunder
https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

Sorry I can't help you with weight but maybe @yourbreakfsat knows? Tactics is usually right when they list weight I think because it's a shipping calculation thing.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #4422 on: February 11, 2022, 02:10:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry I can't help you with weight but maybe @yourbreakfsat knows? Tactics is usually right when they list weight I think because it's a shipping calculation thing.

They have nothing listed for the 161 hollow lights

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4423 on: February 11, 2022, 02:39:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They have nothing listed for the 161 hollow lights
OK so based on the 19ish gram difference between the standard 151 and 161s, I would guess you could safely add between 15-20g to the Hollow Light weight on the 151s. Still likely the lightest 9.125" truck out. Also the height on the Hollow Light 161s is 52mm.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #4424 on: February 11, 2022, 02:39:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

310g, but I grounded down the hanger a bit and there's no nuts, washer, or bushings. If I had to guess, the original weight is around 315g.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #4425 on: February 12, 2022, 03:44:00 AM »
Copied from the WBSWB thread, but thought they might be of interest to people here as well.

Not sure if posted yet but these fancy lad Bigzo decks are 9.0” x 32.25” with 13.75” wheelbase. I’m obsessed.

You had me with the green eagle there.

But really, that is crazy they are 13.75 wb.  I was wondering how long the kicks were, but as per the listing, it is 9 x 32.25 with a 6.75 tail and a 7.5 nose.  * I could drill out the nose to make it a more normal feel quite easily too.

The other big board on their site has 14.75 wb (which could easily be drilled down) but I was wondering if you had seen or tried that one at all?

https://www.fancyladskateboards.com/collections/stuff/products/bigzo-pro-model-9-shaped

9 x 32.25 with 13.75 wb, 6.75 tail and 7.5 nose

https://www.fancyladskateboards.com/collections/stuff/products/milksnake-pro-model-9-75-shaped

9.75 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb

The 9.75 shape:

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4426 on: February 12, 2022, 12:17:56 PM »

First time skating the Krooked sweatpants shape.  Very enjoyable. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4427 on: February 13, 2022, 02:46:34 AM »

I was going to ask about the rest of it, but thought I could check over old posts.

Found this from not too long ago - those Radial Full wheels look really good on 169s on a bigger board too!

Chocolate couch shape
Indy Ti 169s with Riptides
F4 radial fulls
Swiss
Mob
hardware

Thanks @PuffinMuffin for the excellent Slap stickers!

Been skating on and off since the late 90’s and this is my first Chocolate/Girl board.  Wanted to give this shape a shot.  It would probably work better with 159s but I want to keep rocking with this set of 169s on all of my main setups until they’re axeled.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #4428 on: February 13, 2022, 09:33:42 AM »

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #4429 on: February 13, 2022, 10:25:34 AM »

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4430 on: February 13, 2022, 11:24:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was going to ask about the rest of it, but thought I could check over old posts.

Found this from not too long ago - those Radial Full wheels look really good on 169s on a bigger board too!

Expand Quote

Chocolate couch shape
Indy Ti 169s with Riptides
F4 radial fulls
Swiss
Mob
hardware

Thanks @PuffinMuffin for the excellent Slap stickers!

Been skating on and off since the late 90’s and this is my first Chocolate/Girl board.  Wanted to give this shape a shot.  It would probably work better with 159s but I want to keep rocking with this set of 169s on all of my main setups until they’re axeled.
[close]

Good detective work haha.  Yeah, same rest of the setup.  The radial fulls are terrific.  Happy to see Spitfire putting out more in the newest drop.

disclosed

• Rep: 183
« Reply #4431 on: February 14, 2022, 08:55:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Current board:

Ace classic 66s

Real Rail

--

--

--
[close]

[close]

No, disasters still work the same as before.
But feeble grinds and smith grinds are a lot easier since you lock in a lot easier.

I think it's mainly a habit though. Can't go back to a board without rails and two rails make the board just too slick.

When it comes to the board I have to say that it is my favourite board of all time. The graphic is simple, yet it comes in different stains. The shape is simply perfect for my skating and the wood is very high quality

saw someone ride one of those Nonconform decks you got there in Belgium last weekend. first time seeing one in real life (besides the prototype at the woodshop). it looks even better in real life, nose is bigger then i thought too wich is nice. would be nice if they did another run of those someday. maybe difrent color stains.

anyway. i'm thinking of giving one rail a try on my next setup. been curious about that for a while now.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #4432 on: February 14, 2022, 09:59:31 AM »
Finally put together this Christmas complete of new parts I've been hording.

9.0 Quasi egg
6.1 ventures
reds
Spitfire F4 OG classics 58 MM
some hardware
Jessup

My wife just gave birth to our daughter on January 2nd (who I love so so much) so I have been doing no skating lately. Just getting used to being a parent. For a little bit I thought I was probably not going to skate again for a very long time. It was really nice this past Saturday and when my new born was sleeping my wife watched a show and I got a quick 20 minutes out back. I'm someone who needs to skate 3-4 times a week to feel normal, but that hasn't been an option lately. It's been rough out back so I had to sweep just to not hit too many rocks and sticks and stuff. I didn't want to spend my entire window sweeping the entire thing so I spent 10 minutes sweeping half of it. I filmed these really quick which was confusing for the angle then I had way more fun when the phone was away. Here's just a couple quick tricks while I get used to the new set up.

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #4433 on: February 14, 2022, 10:44:11 AM »

9.0 Quasi egg
6.1 ventures
reds
some hardware
Jessup

My wife just gave birth to our daughter on January 2nd (who I love so so much) so I have been doing no skating lately. Just getting used to being a parent. For a little bit I thought I was probably not going to skate again for a very long time. It was really nice this past Saturday and when my new born was sleeping my wife watched a show and I got a quick 20 minutes out back. I'm someone who needs to skate 3-4 times a week to feel normal, but that hasn't been an option lately. It's been rough out back so I had to sweep just to not hit too many rocks and sticks and stuff. I didn't want to spend my entire window sweeping the entire thing so I spent 10 minutes sweeping half of it. I filmed these really quick which was confusing for the angle then I had way more fun when the phone was away. Here's just a couple quick tricks while I get used to the new set up.

Congrats man, I just had my first daughter 8 months ago on top of adopting my wife's 2 year old. Not gonna lie, the lack of sleep is rough, and stays rough. People are telling me it starts getting much easier when they're around 4 and potty trained/sleep all night.

As for skating, I got back into it specifically because it's much less time consuming than mountain biking (was my primary hobby). You can hop on your board in the driveway at any time. Bring your board to work and skate at lunch.

I have that same deck as my cruiser on Venture 5.8's. Good luck with dad life.

Argyle

• Rep: 40
« Reply #4434 on: February 14, 2022, 11:19:54 AM »
Expand Quote

9.0 Quasi egg
6.1 ventures
reds
some hardware
Jessup

[close]

Congrats man, I just had my first daughter 8 months ago on top of adopting my wife's 2 year old. Not gonna lie, the lack of sleep is rough, and stays rough. People are telling me it starts getting much easier when they're around 4 and potty trained/sleep all night.

As for skating, I got back into it specifically because it's much less time consuming than mountain biking (was my primary hobby). You can hop on your board in the driveway at any time. Bring your board to work and skate at lunch.

I have that same deck as my cruiser on Venture 5.8's. Good luck with dad life.

Congrats to both of you. Dad life is amazing and intense all at once! Love the new setup as well.

4 year olds - easier at night as they can actually tell you what's up, but way crazier by day. It's like having a mini wrecking ball in the house!

Also mine went through a random sleep regression at like 3 years old where he'd stay awake till like 4am and the only way i could get him to bed was by watching Bob Ross on YouTube. What started as a joke got old really quick!

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #4435 on: February 14, 2022, 06:04:25 PM »
Congrats on the kid! I had my 2nd daughter 7 months ago and i also got the same feeling thinking i wasnt going to skate again as much as i did before when she was first born then i just had to adapt and find time that worked good for me and my family. I actually never really skated and night and not have become a full night time skater and go on sessions once the baby and 6 year old fall asleep and i actually end up skating the same amount as i did before the 2nd kid. I think you will find your groove and it all works out somehow for balancing being a rad dad and still getting the sessions in.

9.0 Quasi egg
6.1 ventures
reds
some hardware
Jessup

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4436 on: February 14, 2022, 09:39:12 PM »
Been rockin this at the indoor for the past couple weeks. The Polar Dane1 is the most fun skateboard I've ridden - I'm on my third one!

Polar Dane1 with Mob Grip
Ace AF1 66s with Krux K5 Kingpins (Stock Bottom bushing, Indy Super Soft White top)
Bones 56mm V6 99a STFs (RollerSurfer)
Bronson G3s
Homemade UHMW rails 🤓

One of the most fun boards for sure.
I'm saving mine for spring/summer asphalt and can't wait to skate it. I put Aces and super juice minis on mine.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #4437 on: February 15, 2022, 05:10:33 AM »
Has anyone skated that Uma FARK shape that the Roman is in? 8.9"? trying to discern a measurement over trucks. Thanks.
ok thanks

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #4438 on: February 15, 2022, 12:45:47 PM »
Scram dropping new boards soon

Lots of fucked up shapes though...was just hoping for a normalish 9" deck

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #4439 on: February 15, 2022, 12:57:32 PM »
I want to like Scram (boards wise, team wise – they kick ass) but some of their shapes are just too out there for me.