Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 365943 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4800 on: September 15, 2023, 12:39:26 PM »
@LebowskisRug for some inexplicable reason, I actually bought an 8.38 today. Normally I don't like that shape, but some reason I was feeling it this afternoon, and wanted to try a 14.5wb. Anyway, mine has a 6.5 tail. I must have a bad rash of odd ball sanding or something with the other ones I had, and Skatedeluxe is def with a 6.6 claim, at least against the one I now have.

As to Ventures (to keep somewhat on topic), there has been a real debacle at TWO shops getting a hold of a pair. I'll post those details when I get them (eventually) and post a review/my thoughts on them.

Stupid question- when you are measuring do you pull against the tape measure? I typically place the deck against the wall and push the tape against it or use my 48" ruler that has 1/32" increments, which matches that method.

It seems strange that its tough to get a set of basic Ventures in a normal size.

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 696
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4801 on: September 15, 2023, 12:42:14 PM »
Expand Quote
@LebowskisRug for some inexplicable reason, I actually bought an 8.38 today. Normally I don't like that shape, but some reason I was feeling it this afternoon, and wanted to try a 14.5wb. Anyway, mine has a 6.5 tail. I must have a bad rash of odd ball sanding or something with the other ones I had, and Skatedeluxe is def with a 6.6 claim, at least against the one I now have.

As to Ventures (to keep somewhat on topic), there has been a real debacle at TWO shops getting a hold of a pair. I'll post those details when I get them (eventually) and post a review/my thoughts on them.
[close]

Stupid question- when you are measuring do you pull against the tape measure? I typically place the deck against the wall and push the tape against it or use my 48" ruler that has 1/32" increments, which matches that method.

It seems strange that its tough to get a set of basic Ventures in a normal size.

I use a straight ruler.

Yeah, it's been a super weird inventory mis-hap at two different shops.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4802 on: September 15, 2023, 12:46:06 PM »
I'll normally start at the one inch mark just to be sure I get an accurate measurement.  I have definitely experienced a few dlx boards that had inconsistencies in the past.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4803 on: September 15, 2023, 12:53:24 PM »
I've got a Krooked Cernicky in this shape and stamped IV I've been sitting on for a while now.  Just ran down and checked, tail does measure 6.6, but the wheelbase measures 14.625.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #4804 on: September 15, 2023, 04:39:42 PM »
This might not make sense, but I have thought of what you pointed out. On the 14" WB your feet will probably be closer together. With a high truck that raises the fulcrum and thus the deck is at a pretty high angle before you slide your front foot up.

Take that same exact truck and stretch the WB out 3/8" and your foot is now lower relative to the end of the nose and its less extreme. Using a lower truck probably gets you closer to the front foot/rear foot differential and likely feels closer to your natural timing.

For me the Venture on 14.38 feels better than on 14.25 also because the deck is slightly longer and just gives me a bit more room relative to where the trucks are and that just lets me be more comfortable. Its not a massive difference in measurements, but I step on the board and it feels better. Even if something is "better" on the shorter board, I need to just focus on why that is and duplicate on the longer than worry about wheelbases. Yesterday I was focusing on doing dork tricks on a curb and a nollie back tail worked better on a 14.25/smaller deck when I came out of the trick. Turns out since it was shorter my front foot was more on the tip of the nose. Easy fix. I am sure other more complicated shit is the same.

what you, and @Thebird are saying brings up this nagging feeling i’ve had about….i guess it’s leverage? i’ve always been a kook, putting together weird setups. what year did osiris come out? i (unfortunately) vividly remember skating in some of the first run osiris, tsa shorts….fuck. anyways, i had a gino chocolate board (i’m pretty sure all of these timelines match up, 98-99 ish) with indys, probably 129s, and then on a dare, some 60mm spitfires. i was able to ollie very high, for me. other rotational tricks were just a flick, meaning easier. at that time of my life, i was (i mean look at the outfit choices) fairly fucked up, and would skate and then not skate for awhile, so when i came back to it i’d just try something completely different.
example 2, much more recently, would be that girl shape that tapers from 8.25 to just above 8, short wb. i had it on ace classics and 56 conical fulls. again, flip tricks were shockingly easy (for one day): a switch heel was higher, and just needed a small amount of flick, before coming around.
in both instances, i was using short effective wb trucks, short wb’s, and tall wheels. and many things felt easier.

in general i don’t like huge wheels, i don’t like the weight. i hate when that shit hits me on the shins. i think it looks try hard, for me, because i’m usually found skating super slow trying some booty ass nollie flops, in a smooth ish parking lot. so i tend to set them up, and then quit big wheels, at the first sign of problems.

what you guys are speaking on, with the leverage, the height of trucks, wb, etc, just illuminated, to me, that there is so much i don’t know, and that effective wb combos are a load of crap.

there is something in here where wheel size, truck height, and length of nose and tail would seemingly factor in, but i dunno.

i love venture 5.0 lo’s on 14 and below wb’s, but haven’t really jived with cast venture hi’s on the same deck. maybe ya’ll have shown me why.

i’m really off of any solid ground on this rant. apologies

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4805 on: September 15, 2023, 04:50:29 PM »
^ Skateboards are levers. Change the aspects of the lever, and shit will feel and behave differently.

I love that this thread has turned into The Madness 2.0 Thread. :).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4806 on: September 15, 2023, 08:38:26 PM »
^ Skateboards are levers. Change the aspects of the lever, and shit will feel and behave differently.

I love that this thread has turned into The Madness 2.0 Thread. :).

hahaha fuck.
i need to stop ‘contributing’ to the thread with these very tangentially related rants.

i’ve said it before, but my screen name/presence here, might as well be ‘gear(/truck)madness’. i signed up to try and buy some used ti indy 149s because i just could not make the size up that the rippers had been doing.

back on track, as far as venture: i’ve got a buddy that was never flippy, he rode 8s, and above, in the late 90s, which wasn’t far off from basically being @benson for that time period. he’s since kept to riding big pools, 159s, etc. he wants to try and flip again, for a small
for him 8.5. venture 5.8s? i feel like ventures and thunders are great for flip tricks, but the VAST majority of my venture love comes from lo’s.
my recommendation was ventures and some
slightly smaller, thinner wheels.
true?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4807 on: September 16, 2023, 10:05:29 PM »
there was some talk previously in the thread about westgate and gustavo both switching to hi’s…this true?

anyone know what nikolai is using for a setup?

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4808 on: September 17, 2023, 12:43:27 AM »
there was some talk previously in the thread about westgate and gustavo both switching to hi’s…this true?

yup, maybe it's better for contest skater at high speed, yuto saktes low's but his setup is stiff af, 60kg with bones hard, he's barely turing in all his footage.

and pj ladd moved to hi's recently, hmm..

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4809 on: September 17, 2023, 01:21:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yup, maybe it's better for contest skater at high speed, yuto saktes low's but his setup is stiff af, 60kg with bones hard, he's barely turing in all his footage.

and pj ladd moved to hi's recently, hmm..

thanks!

this pj ladd move to hi’s is wild to me

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4810 on: September 17, 2023, 06:38:26 AM »
It's really easy to spot high because the "wings" of the hanger get much more pronounced. I usually only know cuz I follow them on IG and when there's a video that features a good view of the hanger I pause and go "huh", then move on.

I wouldn't be surprised if they moved up to V Lights from lo.

rikki

• Rep: 306
« Reply #4811 on: September 17, 2023, 08:23:35 AM »
People seem to tinker a lot with the bushing setups on their Ventures.

I've had zero issues with the purple stock bushings on my 5.6 Hi V-Lights. They feel great, even after skating Aces and Indys for a long time.

Am I somehow in the minority?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4812 on: September 17, 2023, 08:27:22 AM »
I think the vast majority of people are actually normal, they quietly buy things, use them as they were intended and don't talk about them....

none of them are here though....

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4813 on: September 17, 2023, 08:29:18 AM »
Had my 4th session Venture V-Hollows 5,8s today. I just cant do it. I nearly die from ghost popping many times. I do see the potential in these trucks tho.
I dident like this board with Thunder either, so it must be something odd going on with it. I'll try the trucks with a flatter deck next. Angle of pop with this board is 37 on the tail, and 36 on the nose, so when I use the nose its perfect.

Stock bushings for me is pretty perfect. I'm 185lbs, and prefer a medium. 1 thread showing on the kingpin

rikki

« Reply #4814 on: September 17, 2023, 08:31:04 AM »
Had my 4th session Venture V-Hollows 5,8s today. I just cant do it. I nearly die from ghost popping many times. I do see the potential in these trucks tho.
I dident like this board with Thunder either, so it must be something odd going on with it. I'll try the trucks with a flatter deck next. Angle of pop with this board is 37 on the tail, and 36 on the nose, so when I use the nose its perfect.

Stock bushings for me is pretty perfect. I'm 185lbs, and prefer a medium. 1 thread showing on the kingpin

What's the wb on your deck?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4815 on: September 17, 2023, 08:36:43 AM »
i agree  mellower kicks ie. standard issue BBS board, should be better.....to me venture was the first truck where I really felt how dudes would talk about using the pocket to pop. 

Set up looks sick at least IMO...

Vintagebody

« Reply #4816 on: September 17, 2023, 08:37:27 AM »
Its IV press, so mellowest, 8.5x 31.85, 14.25wb. I pretty much always skate 14.25, but in 8.25, so I dont understand... I skate with Thunder 8.25 too. But still... Dident like this deck on Thunder either, as mentioned. My theory is simple. Its a Mason deck, so you have to ride Indy's for it to work.

Oh so standard BBS decks are more mellow then the mellowest DLX? I do skate Polars frequently, as they are often on sale here. Do enjoy them alot

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4817 on: September 17, 2023, 08:44:49 AM »
I'm prolly off on it but I alway skate all timers boards or shop boards which tend IMO to be less progressive than say a real board with kicks and concaves...

I don't totally buy the numbers theory in that I've pulled four III's off the wall and they are still pretty varied.....

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4818 on: September 17, 2023, 08:46:14 AM »
I think PJ posted some photo of couple sets of Venture lows this week with fuckwithyourtrucks tagged on it. Had some weird thing going on with axle nuts but i believe PJ still on lows.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4819 on: September 17, 2023, 10:01:47 AM »
I've always disliked that shape and I've skated it on everything but Venture. It's pretty short for the width if you measure it and I just don't get on with the kicks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4820 on: September 17, 2023, 10:02:56 AM »

I've had zero issues with the purple stock bushings on my 5.6 Hi V-Lights. They feel great, even after skating Aces and Indys for a long time.

Nah most people I know run stock it's just the top can shred fairly easily so some end up fucking with by default. DLX is great with warranty and I honestly just run flush with the nylock and never adjust them.

Vintagebody

« Reply #4821 on: September 17, 2023, 11:03:50 AM »
I've always disliked that shape and I've skated it on everything but Venture. It's pretty short for the width if you measure it and I just don't get on with the kicks.

Thanks! Thats good to know :D Wont be getting that shape again no... I recall skating a 8.28 Mason deck too. Wasent that happy with it either. Passport, Alltimers and Polar have been consistently good in 8.25s and 8.3

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4822 on: September 17, 2023, 01:19:35 PM »
I think the vast majority of people are actually normal, they quietly buy things, use them as they were intended and don't talk about them....

none of them are here though....

I laughed. Hard. #truth

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4823 on: September 17, 2023, 01:47:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks! Thats good to know :D Wont be getting that shape again no... I recall skating a 8.28 Mason deck too. Wasent that happy with it either. Passport, Alltimers and Polar have been consistently good in 8.25s and 8.3

Sounds like you don't like short boards cuz the 8.28 is a really short one. I like the shapes from the brands you mentioned they are the generic BBS 8.38 a shit ton of brands and shops use.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4824 on: September 17, 2023, 03:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you get to go into shops and check concave or feel of them first, or buy online?

Just asking, because quite often a lot of those boards being four to a press can be a bit more varied, so finding a more mellow one is easier in person, if the shop has a good selection.

If they don't have many, or you are buying online, then it is a bit less of an option for you.

Also I feel like the 8.38 is always more mellow than the 8.5 or 8.25 board shapes, like they use a different press for those shapes, as it has a longer wheelbase, so it is the longer press which might also be used for wider boards too, but either way, the usual shorter boards often feel steeper overall to me and that is from having a lot of boards come through my hands.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4825 on: September 17, 2023, 06:48:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nah most people I know run stock it's just the top can shred fairly easily so some end up fucking with by default. DLX is great with warranty and I honestly just run flush with the nylock and never adjust them.

Stock bushings only, purple / red / green are best, white / black / blue and we may have to call the cops on you.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4826 on: September 17, 2023, 09:01:32 PM »
I think PJ posted some photo of couple sets of Venture lows this week with fuckwithyourtrucks tagged on it. Had some weird thing going on with axle nuts but i believe PJ still on lows.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxR0xqdrIvM/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
These footages are clearly hi's, and some more in is stories few days ago.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4827 on: September 17, 2023, 10:17:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Stock bushings only, purple / red / green are best, white / black / blue and we may have to call the cops on you.

stock bushings are the best
but kinda hyped to try some indy bushings. but purps/maroon have always been correct, and obviously the green with the feather lights.

i like to leave my ventures stock. when people were more frequently making the change to venture, and then complaining about the turn, i often recommended a flat top washer, and/or bones bushings. i’ve done that in the past, but stock is my preferred.
fuckingupwithyourtrucks is cool and all, but hasn’t helped me for shit. trying to make a truck that has obvious, strong, characteristic, behave like a totally different brand truck, with opposing characteristics….that’s where folks lose the plot. you can make ventures loose, and they are super fun, never going to be an ace tho. thankfully.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4828 on: September 17, 2023, 11:24:41 PM »
...i often recommended a flat top washer...

My 5.6s should be here in a day or two. I remember hearing about the flat washer before, but remind me the function/purpose of this? Thanks!

rikki

« Reply #4829 on: September 18, 2023, 12:35:43 AM »
What's the duro of the stock purples? I keep finding contradictory info online.