Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 71561 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #600 on: February 11, 2022, 05:06:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

New season boards just dropped. Seen a comment above (and on this insta post) that the 1992 is back, I haven't skated the 92 but loved the 91, any pals skated both and can recommend or advise against?
[close]

The slightly longer wheelbase on the 1991 made it work better for me, but as others said, they prefer a shorter wheelbase.

To me 14.5 is perfect for a normal board though, with around 15" wb for a cruiser, even though I used to skate 14.25 shorter wb boards up until a few years ago, I realised the longer wb boards were way more comfortable for me, being taller and more lanky.

Did they both taper to about 8.75 at the back trucks too?  Thought they did, but cannot remember right now.

1991 - 9.25 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb

1992 - 9.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb
[close]
Not to be the party pooper but you know how this one ends. I measured the 1991 wb at 14.38"

Ha yeah, it has been too long since I had either of those boards.

Good to know with the 1991 though.

Is the 1992 still 14.25 wb though?

Added   ***  specs may not be as advertised ***  to the previous post too.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1342
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #601 on: February 11, 2022, 05:08:52 PM »
^Beats me on the 1992? I was never able to get one before but I ordered one of the new ones today so I'll update the thread if no one else has one on hand already.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #602 on: February 12, 2022, 06:49:52 AM »

New season boards just dropped. Seen a comment above (and on this insta post) that the 1992 is back, I haven't skated the 92 but loved the 91, any pals skated both and can recommend or advise against?
Praise the lord, they have a Dane 1 in the drop! I could take it or leave it on those wheel wells, but I will definitely be scooping one up

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #603 on: February 12, 2022, 04:22:59 PM »

I just measured it as an actual 14.25 wb, and 8.62 wide at the rear trucks.  159s are the way.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #604 on: February 12, 2022, 08:52:30 PM »
people who have tried the P2, how did you like it?
i like the length of the nose, i'm just wondering if its worth spending a hundred or so on
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #605 on: February 12, 2022, 09:53:51 PM »
i like the length of the nose, i'm just wondering if its worth spending a hundred or so on

Love mine so far. Coming from a hockey/FA board it’s the perfect blend of having a big square nose with a nice tapered tail. The tail scoops better for 360 flips and feels bigger than hockey boards even though I think they’re the same.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #606 on: February 12, 2022, 10:42:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Love mine so far. Coming from a hockey/FA board it’s the perfect blend of having a big square nose with a nice tapered tail. The tail scoops better for 360 flips and feels bigger than hockey boards even though I think they’re the same.
sweet as i'll have to find one for sure
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #607 on: February 12, 2022, 11:57:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just measured it as an actual 14.25 wb, and 8.62 wide at the rear trucks.  159s are the way.
the one i had was 14.25 on the dot
rode it with hollow 151s and they fit perfecly
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #608 on: February 13, 2022, 02:09:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I guess from 1991 to 1992 wheelbases were coming down, not that it really would change much in the grand scheme of things, but at least the measurements are correct for wheelbase this time.

Yeah getting that back truck size is key to making it work with that sort of shape.

the one i had was 14.25 on the dot
rode it with hollow 151s and they fit perfecly

Yeah that is the good mix for that board for sure.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #609 on: February 13, 2022, 10:07:31 AM »

Absolutely hated mine. The kicks felt too steep and short even though they aren’t. The whole board in general felt way too short even though it isn’t. I was ghost popping like mad. I have no idea why I couldn’t get along with it. The shape seems so nice but for some reason we just didn’t get along at all. Gonna give it another try when spring comes and try it with Ace 44 classics with mag plates as I loved the Polar 8.375” with that combo and this deck is pretty similar otherwise except for being a hair wider and the nose being very square.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #610 on: February 13, 2022, 05:58:32 PM »
Anyone ever ridden ventures with the standard 8.5 shape? I’m having a bout of madness lately. Carl aikens has a new shape for chocolate and it seems like it’s dimensions are very similar to the polar 8.5 which I’ve seen him skating before. Just curious what ventures are like on that 8.5 wheelbase

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #611 on: February 17, 2022, 07:21:25 PM »
Anyone ever ridden ventures with the standard 8.5 shape? I’m having a bout of madness lately. Carl aikens has a new shape for chocolate and it seems like it’s dimensions are very similar to the polar 8.5 which I’ve seen him skating before. Just curious what ventures are like on that 8.5 wheelbase

Skating a friend's board which has Venture on a longer wheelbase BBS wood and it skates fine.  Just has a different manual / lift point than my board on Indy standards, but wasn't too hard to skate being the same everything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #612 on: March 01, 2022, 06:46:22 AM »
Pontus posted about a P2 jr that should be coming out maybe in the fall?

Would love to see it as a 8.25” that tapered down to 8”

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #613 on: March 01, 2022, 08:18:08 AM »

Which account? Did he post a photo? Not seeing it now

marosb

• Rep: 2
« Reply #614 on: March 01, 2022, 10:05:46 AM »
Just set up this Dane 1 JR for a friend last night. Looks like a really fun shape, but not necessarily for me. Nose is VERY small.

Indy 149s, 58mm Mini logo wheels

How is the shape?  I've seen one for a good price online and i was interested in it. You said the nose is very small but I would like to know if it is enough for some nollie tricks or even sliding.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #615 on: March 01, 2022, 10:23:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Just set up this Dane 1 JR for a friend last night. Looks like a really fun shape, but not necessarily for me. Nose is VERY small.

Indy 149s, 58mm Mini logo wheels

[close]

How is the shape?  I've seen one for a good price online and i was interested in it. You said the nose is very small but I would like to know if it is enough for some nollie tricks or even sliding.

The shape is a lot of fun, and I loved the tail. I only rode it once for a bit since I set it up for a friend so I don't have a lot of time on it. I should clarify that the nose isn't "small" necessarily, just pointier than my preference.

There's plenty of surface area for slides and concave for nollie tricks. I think the nose is 6.75" or 7" or something, so there's space up there for sure.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #616 on: March 01, 2022, 09:26:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Which account? Did he post a photo? Not seeing it now
it was a story post, on the main polar ig i think... if not his personal acc.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #617 on: March 02, 2022, 09:52:10 AM »

I’m super curious what this person rides as a full setup. 5.8s? 5.6s? The very nice crailtap shape guide doesn’t yet have the the write up for this new shape you are referencing. The guide does say he rides the g016, and in some of his footage that looks to be true, as that shape has the ill small pointy tail, but that could be old news. His new shape is just listed in the site of you look his boards up.
I wouldn’t worry too much about matching trucks to boards. I’ve chased this horseshit dragon around, and it can absolutely help me get results, but…if I like a certain pair of trucks, and like a shape enough, anything can work. Where this pairing really helps is if the board is kinda fucked for me. Imo.
This is a polar thread and they have really good stuff obviously. I kinda stopped riding them, just so ubiquitous. I really appreciated the first artist, but their graphics are generally very nice. Good wood. All of that being said, I really back crail shapes. The wood is never my absolute favorite (the old company that everyone hated, because it frequently sucked, occasionally put out some decks that felt amazing), but it last pretty good these days. Very consistent.

Anyways, who knows Carl’s setup? This is all I care about

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #618 on: March 09, 2022, 02:17:54 PM »
I just finished skating a Polar, really enjoyed it, mainly because I found something that's close to a full shape. The "NICK BOSERIO YEAR 2020" 8.25 was great. Does anyone know what shape that actually is from Polar? It worked well with Venture 5.6 hollow lights, I'm curious how Thunders would go.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #619 on: March 09, 2022, 02:47:27 PM »
all polar 8.25s are the same shape
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FacetSquared

• Rep: 7
« Reply #620 on: March 28, 2022, 07:40:55 AM »
I’m sure this has been answered in some capacity at some point, but my brain is fried, having combed through so many pages.

I am wondering, what Indy trucks do you prefer for the Dane1 - 159 or 169, or whatever size truck you choose to ride for this shape. I currently skate 149s on DLX 8.5, but I think that’d be pushing it. I know at the front axle, the Dane1 is 9.25 and the back axle is at 8.75.

Do 169s hot rod on a Dane1?

What would the general differences be between skating 159s and 169s? And also, what would the differences be on this particular shape?

For what it’s worth, I flip my board a lot, and I’m not sure how truck width would affect that. Does anyone have advice regarding this?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #621 on: March 28, 2022, 08:03:26 AM »
Haven’t had it, but I think this is one of those boards that people have good reasons for using either.
I like to attempt a bunch of flip tricks, I also prefer to match my back truck to the width of the board (to let everyone in on how shit I am at skating, whilst pushing a setup with some hot rod shit in the back, I can and will, slam. I’m actually pretty good at finding ways to fuck up pushing/getting on the board). The front truck will be tucked in for sure with this advice, I’m used to that on shaped boards, that’s how I remember them being set up. It gives good leverage for turning up front. Plus I have an irrational love for 159s, as my favorite Indy’s (if I had ever gotten along with 149s like I did with 159s I’d have been a huge indy fan).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 09:10:48 AM by Ok »

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #622 on: March 28, 2022, 09:51:10 AM »
I’m sure this has been answered in some capacity at some point, but my brain is fried, having combed through so many pages.

I am wondering, what Indy trucks do you prefer for the Dane1 - 159 or 169, or whatever size truck you choose to ride for this shape. I currently skate 149s on DLX 8.5, but I think that’d be pushing it. I know at the front axle, the Dane1 is 9.25 and the back axle is at 8.75.

What would the general differences be between skating 159s and 169s? And also, what would the differences be on this particular shape?

For what it’s worth, I flip my board a lot, and I’m not sure how truck width would affect that. Does anyone have advice regarding this?

It might come down to what wheels you run on it. Can't speak for 169s but had my Dane setup with Thunder 151s, which are a 8.75 truck, with 58mm spitfire conical fulls. As others have said, the front was a bit tucked but it was perfect at the back. I personally wouldn't want to run a wider truck with the Dane, unless I had skinnier wheels perhaps.

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #623 on: March 28, 2022, 10:45:22 AM »
I just finished skating a Polar, really enjoyed it, mainly because I found something that's close to a full shape. The "NICK BOSERIO YEAR 2020" 8.25 was great. Does anyone know what shape that actually is from Polar? It worked well with Venture 5.6 hollow lights, I'm curious how Thunders would go.

Did you get a lot of ghost pop with that setup? Polar 8.25 shape has pretty much no fingers of flat so combining that with forged venture seems like the pop angle would be extremely steep. I ride 8.25 polars with ace af1 44s which works great. Never seem to see people ride ventures on polar decks so just curious

FacetSquared

• Rep: 7
« Reply #624 on: March 28, 2022, 10:54:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It might come down to what wheels you run on it. Can't speak for 169s but had my Dane setup with Thunder 151s, which are a 8.75 truck, with 58mm spitfire conical fulls. As others have said, the front was a bit tucked but it was perfect at the back. I personally wouldn't want to run a wider truck with the Dane, unless I had skinnier wheels perhaps.

Thank you to you and the person before me who responded! Regarding wheels, I skate 53mm conical fulls.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #625 on: March 31, 2022, 11:39:15 PM »
took the surf jr out for the first time the other night with 54 wheels and ace 44 classics and had a really tough time with it. the pop timing felt really odd. coming from a dwindle deck w steep kicks.

i really hope i can adjust to it, love shin and the look of the shape.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #626 on: April 01, 2022, 12:09:20 AM »
took the surf jr out for the first time the other night with 54 wheels and ace 44 classics and had a really tough time with it. the pop timing felt really odd. coming from a dwindle deck w steep kicks.

i really hope i can adjust to it, love shin and the look of the shape.
you’ll be fine after a few sessions, bar maybe your nollie pop? It’s a short board too so if I’m riding one of my other decks and then swap over it, I quickly get reminded just how compact it is.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ridethegutter

• Rep: 65
« Reply #627 on: April 09, 2022, 12:25:56 PM »
Alot of the shapes look very similar to me. I have never skated a shaped Polar deck before. I think I am leaning towards the 8.75 1991 jr shape. Probably going to throw on some venture 8.75 hollow lights. Whats everyone’s thought on this shape if you have ridden it before?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #628 on: April 09, 2022, 01:36:19 PM »
Alot of the shapes look very similar to me. I have never skated a shaped Polar deck before. I think I am leaning towards the 8.75 1991 jr shape. Probably going to throw on some venture 8.75 hollow lights. Whats everyone’s thought on this shape if you have ridden it before?

There are a few infos about the 91 jr. shape on these forums, you can use the search function. I am looking at that shape very often but couldn't pull the trigger yet. The width on the back truck is around 8.2 so be careful with your trucks. I think I saw here one with 144 Indy's and those seem to fit that deck well.
IG: @flowterspace

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #629 on: April 09, 2022, 05:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There are a few infos about the 91 jr. shape on these forums, you can use the search function. I am looking at that shape very often but couldn't pull the trigger yet. The width on the back truck is around 8.2 so be careful with your trucks. I think I saw here one with 144 Indy's and those seem to fit that deck well.
it’s a great shape! i rode mine with ace af1 55s with 1/8th risers and 53 radials. Such a good time. i highly recommend it