Author Topic: pros/ams that are dicks  (Read 64432 times)

Row From The Rocks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: pros/ams that are dicks
« Reply #300 on: May 30, 2007, 09:37:05 AM »
Expand Quote
jon allie/newport
[close]
Jon allie for sure, Donny Barley an asshole as well.

That's weird. I've never met anyone as aware of their impact as Donny. People meet pros and they want to form an opinion. They stare at them and try to figure out what every look and action "means." Donny's a good dude and an amazing skater.

It's hard sometimes. I always remember meeting a pro back in the day and being like "can you frontside flip? do one." The dude was cool about it, but looking back at it I was being an idiot. Some dudes trying to take a rest and I'm calling out tricks like he's my skate puppet. Maybe you guys should realize how awkward it is to be in the limelight and have everyone judge you. Maybe there should be a thread "pro skaters I've hung out with more than once and I still think they're pricks.'

truthbetold

• Rep: 3
« Reply #301 on: May 30, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »
Expand Quote
rick howard was kind of a dick to me once, but i was being completely weird to him so i definitely deserved it
[close]

when girl was doing the crail phone, i called and talked to rick, he was super nice via phone. i told him he was my favorite part and yeah right. he laughed and said it could have been better.

Sounds about right.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2537
« Reply #302 on: May 30, 2007, 11:05:56 AM »
Expand Quote
i can't say someones a "dick" if i don't know them on a personal level but i strongly dislike people who yell at little kids who get in the way.  we were all little once and at one point or another, we all got in someones way.  i've seen pros, ams, random heads, so called adults and grown ass men doing this.  chillout with that shit, they're just kids.   

people who think they're skate judges.  this guy sucks, that guys sucks. who the fuck declared you the judge of all judges?  if you rip good for you, but just because someone isn't on your level of skating, doesn't mean you have the right to piss on them.  people like using the "i'm entitled to my opinion" excuse for being a cock but just so you know, it doesn't make you any less of a cock.   

vibing.  why you gots to try and stare me down?   yeah it sucks when a spot gets crowded and it seems everyone is snaking you at "your spot" but it is't your spot.  i don't care if you live across the street and the other dude came from 3000 miles away, its everyones spot to share and skate.  until you show me a deed proving you own the property, get over it.

fashion police.  why do you care what someone elses is wearing?  you work in the fashion industry?  queer eye?  cosmo?  if you're too busy looking at what other men are wearing, you got other problems to worry about.           

as far as listing a name of pros/ams/peeps i've seen doing the above is totally unneeded, they know who they are.
[close]

Nice.

Pretty much, except sometimes you gotta yell at kids to get their attention.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 743
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #303 on: May 30, 2007, 11:33:03 AM »
i can't say someones a "dick" if i don't know them on a personal level but i strongly dislike people who yell at little kids who get in the way.  we were all little once and at one point or another, we all got in someones way.  i've seen pros, ams, random heads, so called adults and grown ass men doing this.  chillout with that shit, they're just kids.   

people who think they're skate judges.  this guy sucks, that guys sucks. who the fuck declared you the judge of all judges?  if you rip good for you, but just because someone isn't on your level of skating, doesn't mean you have the right to piss on them.  people like using the "i'm entitled to my opinion" excuse for being a cock but just so you know, it doesn't make you any less of a cock.   

vibing.  why you gots to try and stare me down?   yeah it sucks when a spot gets crowded and it seems everyone is snaking you at "your spot" but it is't your spot.  i don't care if you live across the street and the other dude came from 3000 miles away, its everyones spot to share and skate.  until you show me a deed proving you own the property, get over it.

fashion police.  why do you care what someone elses is wearing?  you work in the fashion industry?  queer eye?  cosmo?  if you're too busy looking at what other men are wearing, you got other problems to worry about.           

as far as listing a name of pros/ams/peeps i've seen doing the above is totally unneeded, they know who they are.
Well some kids now a days just don't have respect for the people around them no matter what level of skater they are, we are all just skaters right. It is a place for all skaters and if some kid is just not paying attention in the area other people are trying tricks or what not the chance of one of the peolpe getting hurt is greater. Chances are the bigger dude is not going to get it as bad as the kid. When I went to powell skate zone as a kid I learned the hard way be getting smoked and got the wind knocked out of me by Salman Agah and you know what that never happened to me after that, if you catch my drift. I will yell at a kid before I have to slam into him because he is in the way when i'm trying a trick.

H8R

« Reply #304 on: May 30, 2007, 11:53:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Well some kids now a days just don't have respect for the people around them no matter what level of skater they are, we are all just skaters right. It is a place for all skaters and if some kid is just not paying attention in the area other people are trying tricks or what not the chance of one of the peolpe getting hurt is greater. Chances are the bigger dude is not going to get it as bad as the kid. When I went to powell skate zone as a kid I learned the hard way be getting smoked and got the wind knocked out of me by Salman Agah and you know what that never happened to me after that, if you catch my drift. I will yell at a kid before I have to slam into him because he is in the way when i'm trying a trick.

i honestly can't think of the last time i yelled at someone and it worked, can you? 
instead of being all do or die about it, how about walking up to little man and talking to him like a human being?  explaining to him how hes got to wait his turn, share the spot, skate in the direction everyone else is skating, not to sit on an obstacle, etc. instead of yelling at him and bumming him out, they're just kids afterall and they're there trying to have fun just like me and you. 

don't get me wrong, i can't stand them little disrespectful cocky skaters but those guys will always get theres.  i usually wait for those kind of assholes to slam real hard, then i walk up and laugh in their face and tell them thats what they get for being a fuckin cocksucker.  actually it happened the last time i was skating.  some kid was trying to go every other turn(selfish skater) and ate shit, we all laughed at the dude and made him leave.  hopefully next time he shows up he'll have a better attitude as a whole.

kevbo999

« Reply #305 on: May 30, 2007, 03:30:42 PM »
I'm not even saying that this kid's a dick or anything, he was super polite to almost everyone, but Julian Davidson made me laugh at a demo today.  He kept obsessing over this tiny scrape on his hand.  He made fun of the "office shoot" hand gesture some kid made him.  Then he told Nathan Lacoste to go get him a pepsi.

friendship

• Rep: -2
« Reply #306 on: May 30, 2007, 03:57:58 PM »
Then he told Nathan Lacoste to go get him a pepsi.

thats so fucked,.. actually "told" him?! sounds like a dickbag.
" I thought ni**as used to take drugs to relax and calm themselves. It’s 2005 now, and ni**as just want to hallucinate?!" - J.R writer of The Diplomats on "Psychedelic mushrooms".

kevbo999

« Reply #307 on: May 30, 2007, 05:36:04 PM »
I think Nathan was out hurt and just being like the assistant TM.

Also, Magnus Hansen has gotten really good. Since Sierra and Tave only came out later on, the announcer was calling Magnus "Sierra Fellers" for like half the demo.

Finally, Julian Davidson shot the annoucer a look of disgust, and promptly went to correct him.

What kinda Circa demo is it without Lopez, Cannon and Allie anyway? Adrian and Colt were nowhere to be seen and Jon was just limping around eating Wendy's.

Just about every flip to grind was landed by Fellers and Hansen on the 8 stair rail. Sierra almost had a nollie fs board shove it out.. Durrant is pretty good too. Cerezini was switch back lippin' and Patterson was dropping fatty to flatty fs flips, both with their names tattoo'ed on their arms a la Wenning.

Wooderson

• Rep: -16
  • pearl rips
« Reply #308 on: May 30, 2007, 05:37:20 PM »
pro's are dicks or cool to you depending on how lame you are
You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

(.)(.)

• Rep: -3
  • im buff nigga
« Reply #309 on: May 30, 2007, 05:45:21 PM »
tony hawk said i could never take david loys place.......

jocko

• Rep: -1
« Reply #310 on: May 30, 2007, 06:59:16 PM »
Neil Blender once said to me "I'm just a Clown in a human suit" =  He's not a dick.
Chaz Pineda stole my shoes = He's a Dick.
I had a little kid terrorizing me at the park the other day, cutting me off on purpose and stuff, he wasn't as funny as he thought he was. I spilled my Coke all over his griptape by accident = I'm a Dick too

Davis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #311 on: May 30, 2007, 07:02:31 PM »
Neil Blender once said to me "I'm just a Clown in a human suit" =  He's not a dick.
Chaz Pineda stole my shoes = He's a Dick.
I had a little kid terrorizing me at the park the other day, cutting me off on purpose and stuff, he wasn't as funny as he thought he was. I spilled my Coke all over his griptape by accident = I'm a Dick too
Justified vengeance. haha

kronichles

• Rep: 0
« Reply #312 on: May 30, 2007, 08:11:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

for the record, I want every slap pal to know if they already didn't that, cliff is NOT a dick, I met him many years ago at an A-Team/Blind Demo, and I just remember being this probably annoying 12 year old kid, but I distinctly remember that James Craig and Ronnie Creager were super cool to me that day, Ronnie even recorded a mini interview with me on his camera he was messing around with, it's little things like that that can make u that much more super hyped on a skater.

H8R

« Reply #313 on: May 31, 2007, 11:05:41 AM »
i don't think he(cliff) is a dick, i just think theres better ways of dealing with little kids, to each his own. 
and my apologies to cliff if it came across that way.

georgecarr

• Rep: 6
« Reply #314 on: May 31, 2007, 12:19:32 PM »
sorry to be that guy, but who is "Cliff"?

Duffy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • talkin mad shit kid
« Reply #315 on: May 31, 2007, 12:36:13 PM »

I'll give you a hint: Has REALLY good luck with knees.

skate

• Rep: -5
« Reply #316 on: May 31, 2007, 12:49:06 PM »
Tony Silva- I went with my girl to the premier of foundations cataclismic abyss, it was the first showing and was pretty empty, instead of siting down like every other person attending he stands directly next we where we are sitting a begins to yell at anything in the video, which everyone else was doing but then he starts smoking his crappy cigarette in the theater, then my girl ask him to move away with the ciragerette, he mumbles something under his breath but does not move away from us. So then I turn to him and I am like look you little #$%%@* move away from me with that @#$% now. He then finally moved away. Besides that every other am or pro I have met has been pretty cool.

hatehatehatehate

« Reply #317 on: May 31, 2007, 01:06:03 PM »
i was at asr during the game of skate thing and chris haslam was going super slow when he was trying his tricks, so i said to my friend "he needs to take another push" or something to that effect, and jamie thomas turns around and says "why dont you go out there and do it then." it was hillarious. we laughed for a bit. i probably sounded like and asshole but i was joking.  he still treated me to those few beautiful words though.

i remember back in the A-Team days i was like 15 skating vans and i saw gershon and asked him for an autograph when he was leaving the park and he said "i dont do autographs." amazing.

and to that guy above talking about t silva, when was this? were you sitting where he was next to the aisle? i was with him. i dont remember you saying anything.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 01:39:55 PM by hatehatehatehate »

hatehatehatehate

« Reply #318 on: May 31, 2007, 01:34:25 PM »
i forgot one up there to, at the second King Of The Road, when there was a meeting in Carbondale, i was sitting under this tent with scott kane and darrell,. lutzka comes walking up after a couple beers. i guess he knew darrell kinda, but never had met scott and he said to him "what, you can switch heelflip front nose a handrail, but you cant backsmith in vert? fucking pussy" and scott just said "i'll fight you RIGHT now" and lutzka broke out immidiatly. it was hillarious to. douche chill.

H8R

« Reply #319 on: May 31, 2007, 02:05:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'll give you a hint: Has REALLY good luck with knees.
james craig?  get the fuck out of here!   
hey cliff.....errr...james, you rip man!     
sorry i'm fanning out and shit but what i can say other than i'm a fan.   :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i no idea pros actually came to these boards let alone reply to people(outside of JT).  i figured it was a bunch of 30 somethings sitting at their 9-5's and teenagers after school, but not pros that be killin shit, awesome!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #320 on: May 31, 2007, 02:24:32 PM »
the thing that is ironic is that most of you dont sound very cool, so why would anyone need to be cool to you? im sure if you were sponsored you would treat idiot kids like shit. not to mention, who gives a shit, people arent pro because they are nice, but because they are good. your best bet is to just try to be nice to people you meet and quite having expectations from people just because they are good at skateboarding.
The reason they would be cool is because its their job. If you act like a dick and are known as a dick you'll fall off really quickly. If I was big I think I would get really self conscious because whenever you go out skating everybody is judging you on who you are and how you skate. Come off as a dick or a shitty skater "in person" too many times, especially in this internet age and you could really fuck yourself over.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

H8R

« Reply #321 on: May 31, 2007, 02:52:05 PM »
Expand Quote
the thing that is ironic is that most of you dont sound very cool, so why would anyone need to be cool to you? im sure if you were sponsored you would treat idiot kids like shit. not to mention, who gives a shit, people arent pro because they are nice, but because they are good. your best bet is to just try to be nice to people you meet and quite having expectations from people just because they are good at skateboarding.
[close]
The reason they would be cool is because its their job. If you act like a dick and are known as a dick you'll fall off really quickly. If I was big I think I would get really self conscious because whenever you go out skating everybody is judging you on who you are and how you skate. Come off as a dick or a shitty skater "in person" too many times, especially in this internet age and you could really fuck yourself over.

good post man.  :) 
the fastest way to end a professional skateboarding career is to become a professional asshole instead.

hargo

« Reply #322 on: May 31, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »

that is where other sports got one on skateboarding. your numbers are what counts, not your attitude. besides whats with all the baby whining about how so and so wasnt nice to you? i thought skateboarding was all punk rock now? you cant have your cake and eat it to.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #323 on: May 31, 2007, 08:06:28 PM »
lots of dudes turn nice when they're pro....

bornindabay

« Reply #324 on: May 31, 2007, 08:12:29 PM »
Really, I was a dick when I turned pro. I didn't like the superficial asskissing
And if a kid asked for my autograph I'd ask them who I was first. Some dudes
aren't even dicks they just don't like the fakeness. The good outweighs the bad
but it sucks when you just want to skate and all eyes are on you.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #325 on: May 31, 2007, 09:13:42 PM »
I think that different people deal with it in different ways. I always thought that's why guys like Koston and The Gonz dork it so much when they're around the kids. Because they totally understand that being a pro skater is like being a paid stunt monkey. So they figure fuck it, as long as they are doing the "skate for me" thing, they might as well have fun and not take it so seriously. It's not open heart surgery. Lives are not hanging in the balance. It's just skateboarding. Don't be a dick.

VHS

• Rep: 13
« Reply #326 on: May 31, 2007, 09:44:23 PM »
Tony Silva- I went with my girl to the premier of foundations cataclismic abyss, it was the first showing and was pretty empty, instead of siting down like every other person attending he stands directly next we where we are sitting a begins to yell at anything in the video, which everyone else was doing but then he starts smoking his crappy cigarette in the theater, then my girl ask him to move away with the ciragerette, he mumbles something under his breath but does not move away from us. So then I turn to him and I am like look you little #$%%@* move away from me with that @#$% now. He then finally moved away. Besides that every other am or pro I have met has been pretty cool.
I can understand calling a Pro or an Am a dick if they mock you when you ask for an autograph or you try to talk to them and they just shut you down, but I don't see why you can call Tony Silva a dick because you were whining about him having a good time, you said that he was yelling during the video just like everyone else, well than you can't be upset with just Tony, you also changed your story to make your side sound more legit. If someone was giving me a hard time while I was trying to have fun than I wouldn't be that pleasant either, you most likely asked him in a rude manor so I'm sure that wouldn't help the situation, most people in this topic have stated why the Pros or Ams are dicks and have given legit reasons, but you are just a cry baby, its a Foundation video premier its not going to be like church, ofcourse people are going to be yelling and going crazy, and if Tony didn't put out his cigarette than you could have moved to another seat instead of starting a pointless arguement. So put yourself in someone else's shoes and you calling someone a dick over the internet over some stupid situation like your's than you just look like an idiot.

This is a good thread though, it makes you realise that Pros and Ams shouldn't have to be fake if they don't want to, there just like everyone else so treating them differently might make them react in a different way than they would if you were just down to earth with them.

jrock

« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2007, 09:52:01 PM »
I saw Schmitty of Slap and Thrasher web-fame get into like 3 fistfights before getting kicked out of the Great American Music Hall during the Thrasher party where Turbonegro played...he was kind of a dick to all of my friends who were kicking him out, but the whole episode was pretty funny...Schmitty, if you're reading this, what was that fight about anyway?

bornindabay

« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2007, 10:00:19 PM »
Yeah, maybe he should thank a bouncer for kicking him out next time.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2007, 10:02:35 PM »
I was at Tampa Pro a few years ago with a friend and we were sitting up on one of the quarters with all the dudes waiting for their runs. My buddy was sitting right next to Allissa Steamer who was standing, and it was super crowded. It was hot too and my friend reached down to adjust himself and at the same time accidentally rubbed her leg with his elbow. She looked down and said" What the fuck man, you just itched your nuts and rubbed my leg at the same time. That shit's not kosher, you've got to find a new place to sit." She just yelled at him like she owned the place.

Whatever though, I'm not saying she's a dick. Made for a good laugh actually.