Author Topic: Watches  (Read 47022 times)

artskool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Watches
« Reply #990 on: October 13, 2023, 11:11:02 AM »
@GrayImpSausageMetal

Any suggestions for a watch that shows the moon phases and stars and all the cool shit? Or are those prohibitively expensive?

I've got the same question. One of the only watches I really want is one of these:

But, they're $$$, and I'd be nervous buying a vintage watch with lots of complications.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #991 on: October 13, 2023, 09:58:55 PM »
Expand Quote
@GrayImpSausageMetal

Any suggestions for a watch that shows the moon phases and stars and all the cool shit? Or are those prohibitively expensive?
[close]

I've got the same question. One of the only watches I really want is one of these:

But, they're $$$, and I'd be nervous buying a vintage watch with lots of complications.
definitely not my area of expertise ... I imagine a company like Zepplin would have something that would be homaging those watches, but for your $500 budget, I think you can get a lot more bang for you buck than something like zepplin...
This isn't a terrible list tbh, because these guys are actual watch nerds:
https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/best-watches-under-500/
From that list, I'd probably avoid dan Henry, most of those timex (bar the marlins) and swatches but most of that is personally preference. The tissot (PRX) gets a lot of praise and the seiko turtle is super iconic, not to mention reliable and tough (I'd get the mini turtle personally). If it was going to be your only "good watch" I'd tend to avoid microbrands too (vaer, brew and a lot of other watches on that least), but can speak very highly of nodus and lorier; they both make very solid product. Again, for a "good watch" you'd probably want it to come on a bracelet so those citizen tsuyosas are a good idea.
I didn't see hamilton anywhere on that list, but as soon as you said $500, that was the first brand that popped to mind!
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-khaki-mens-watch-h70515137.html
is just a tad over budget, but well within if you cop it on leather. If 38mm is too small, there is the king 40mm version. They are automatic, have 80 hour power reserve and are a well established swiss brand.
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%28ROI%29+%28INTL%29+DSAutm_id%3D402718090&utm_content=39693949340&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1aOpBhCOARIsACXYv-etPzQa9zGUAnlqRSO2Hly-eC6cjZY6WQMxYN9uHDAHDdGfg01AJh4aAmU4EALw_wcB&series=Khaki+Field+Mechanical
These are great handwound field watches (with actual historical use in military situations), maybe not so dressy, but you can spiff them up with leather straps. I used to have one of these and it's a lot of watch for the money:
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h76419931.html
Have a look through these too because as a brand, they offer most styles of watches:
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%28ROI%29+%28INTL%29+DSAutm_id%3D402718090&utm_content=39693949340&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1aOpBhCOARIsACXYv-etPzQa9zGUAnlqRSO2Hly-eC6cjZY6WQMxYN9uHDAHDdGfg01AJh4aAmU4EALw_wcB
and feel free to ask more questions!
Knowing your wrist size will also help...

edit: I found this: https://theeliteart.com/moon-phase-watches-under-500/ take it with a grain of salt though, I can't speak for any of those watches ... the zepplin was $350

For $495 this maybe the "best" option in terms of brand/ quality?
https://www.jomashop.com/frederique-watch-270m4p6.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 10:14:02 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 80
« Reply #992 on: October 15, 2023, 11:19:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@GrayImpSausageMetal

[close]

[close]
definitely not my area of expertise ... I imagine a company like Zepplin would have something that would be homaging those watches, but for your $500 budget, I think you can get a lot more bang for you buck than something like zepplin...
This isn't a terrible list tbh, because these guys are actual watch nerds:
https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/best-watches-under-500/
From that list, I'd probably avoid dan Henry, most of those timex (bar the marlins) and swatches but most of that is personally preference. The tissot (PRX) gets a lot of praise and the seiko turtle is super iconic, not to mention reliable and tough (I'd get the mini turtle personally). If it was going to be your only "good watch" I'd tend to avoid microbrands too (vaer, brew and a lot of other watches on that least), but can speak very highly of nodus and lorier; they both make very solid product. Again, for a "good watch" you'd probably want it to come on a bracelet so those citizen tsuyosas are a good idea.
I didn't see hamilton anywhere on that list, but as soon as you said $500, that was the first brand that popped to mind!
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-khaki-mens-watch-h70515137.html
is just a tad over budget, but well within if you cop it on leather. If 38mm is too small, there is the king 40mm version. They are automatic, have 80 hour power reserve and are a well established swiss brand.
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%28ROI%29+%28INTL%29+DSAutm_id%3D402718090&utm_content=39693949340&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1aOpBhCOARIsACXYv-etPzQa9zGUAnlqRSO2Hly-eC6cjZY6WQMxYN9uHDAHDdGfg01AJh4aAmU4EALw_wcB&series=Khaki+Field+Mechanical
These are great handwound field watches (with actual historical use in military situations), maybe not so dressy, but you can spiff them up with leather straps. I used to have one of these and it's a lot of watch for the money:
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h76419931.html
Have a look through these too because as a brand, they offer most styles of watches:
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%28ROI%29+%28INTL%29+DSAutm_id%3D402718090&utm_content=39693949340&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1aOpBhCOARIsACXYv-etPzQa9zGUAnlqRSO2Hly-eC6cjZY6WQMxYN9uHDAHDdGfg01AJh4aAmU4EALw_wcB
and feel free to ask more questions!
Knowing your wrist size will also help...

edit: I found this: https://theeliteart.com/moon-phase-watches-under-500/ take it with a grain of salt though, I can't speak for any of those watches ... the zepplin was $350

For $495 this maybe the "best" option in terms of brand/ quality?
https://www.jomashop.com/frederique-watch-270m4p6.html

You're the fucking man.

That Hamilton is the style I like.
I had a citizen just like it, but wore it everyday and I guess I was too rough on it and the second hand popped off and is stuck in the watch face and fucks with the other hands and won't let them move.
 It'll probably cost more to fix it than the watch is worth so it just sits in a drawer.

I always have liked the eco or solar drive watches as well  That is so cool to me.

Thank you for taking the time to do that!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #993 on: October 16, 2023, 12:32:40 AM »
@Ankle_Lift glad I could help. I assume the Hamilton you like is the khaki field yeah? That thing will look good on any strap you throw at it!

Sourced a tag 1000 bracelet for my monnin case Heuer, not a perfect fit, but pretty damn close!

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #994 on: October 17, 2023, 06:04:17 PM »
Threw a curved rubber strap on the Seiko and I’m loving how casual and comfy this is feeling.

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #995 on: October 18, 2023, 07:25:27 PM »
Threw a curved rubber strap on the Seiko and I’m loving how casual and comfy this is feeling.

Nice one mate, I've got that same Save The Ocean Samurai. Love it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #996 on: October 18, 2023, 07:59:25 PM »
Yes @TastyBurrito, but what nato are you gunna put on the Tudor?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #997 on: October 19, 2023, 01:23:28 PM »
Yes @TastyBurrito, but what nato are you gunna put on the Tudor?

The Harrod's version came with their cloth/nato strap in the box as well. Might give that a quick go.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #998 on: October 21, 2023, 04:56:13 AM »
This isn’t going to impress anybody but I just got a Casio Royale for like $19 and I feel like James Bond when I wear it.  The only bad thing is it’s a little big for my dainty little wrist.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #999 on: October 26, 2023, 06:33:28 PM »
This isn’t going to impress anybody but I just got a Casio Royale for like $19 and I feel like James Bond when I wear it.  The only bad thing is it’s a little big for my dainty little wrist.

an in comic watch is an iconic watch
What’s the size specs of it?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1000 on: October 29, 2023, 03:23:15 AM »

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1001 on: October 29, 2023, 12:16:16 PM »
@Gray Imp Sausage Metal I have never owned a watch before but I would really like a wood grain watch at this point in my life. Do you or anyone else in this thread have a rec that wouldnt break the bank?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1002 on: October 29, 2023, 05:18:31 PM »
@Gray Imp Sausage Metal I have never owned a watch before but I would really like a wood grain watch at this point in my life. Do you or anyone else in this thread have a rec that wouldnt break the bank?
thanks for the question, do you just want it to have a wooden face, or should the whole watch be wood?
Personally I would avoid the latter because although those types of watches are labelled as being eco-friendly, they will break down over time and only last a few years at best!
Brew watches did a really nice wood dial a while back but it seems as though they are no longer producing them. Not really my area of forte, but I would say do your research and then come back in here, post a few possible options and get some feedback on them before purchasing.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #1003 on: October 31, 2023, 02:03:19 PM »
Are cheap Timex's any use? They got 31% off at the moment. Was looking for a Casio then found this flash sale.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1004 on: October 31, 2023, 04:50:22 PM »
Are cheap Timex's any use? They got 31% off at the moment. Was looking for a Casio then found this flash sale.
they have some cool/ timeless models, they won't last you a lifetime but for the price you shouldn't expect them too.
Classic option would be to go for a weekender, if I was going to buy one I'd probably for a Marlin just because it's handwound and has nice proportions. If you're gunna skate in it though, maybe something a bit more sporty? If I didn't get a marlin, I'd probably go something like this:
https://timex.com/products/expedition-north-field-post-solar-36mm-recycled-fabric-strap-watch-tw2v00400

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1005 on: November 01, 2023, 02:14:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
they have some cool/ timeless models, they won't last you a lifetime but for the price you shouldn't expect them too.
Classic option would be to go for a weekender, if I was going to buy one I'd probably for a Marlin just because it's handwound and has nice proportions. If you're gunna skate in it though, maybe something a bit more sporty? If I didn't get a marlin, I'd probably go something like this:
https://timex.com/products/expedition-north-field-post-solar-36mm-recycled-fabric-strap-watch-tw2v00400
I was looking at one similar. Fell asleep and the sale is over now. Yeah just was looking for something to skate in and work in. Nothing fancy, but has to be water resistant and not leather.

Bill Salt

« Reply #1006 on: November 01, 2023, 03:11:49 AM »
I go for the "skin watch" by Chris Pontius in the SHIT video.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1007 on: November 01, 2023, 06:52:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I was looking at one similar. Fell asleep and the sale is over now. Yeah just was looking for something to skate in and work in. Nothing fancy, but has to be water resistant and not leather.
not sure of your exact budget, but something like a citizen BM8180-03E will be around the same price as the timex but will smoke it terms of finishing, quality and reliability. Not to talk down Timex, it’s just that Citizen watches are really underrated.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1008 on: November 01, 2023, 09:16:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
not sure of your exact budget, but something like a citizen BM8180-03E will be around the same price as the timex but will smoke it terms of finishing, quality and reliability. Not to talk down Timex, it’s just that Citizen watches are really underrated.
Was thinking €50.. Christmas is just around the corner etc,and if it's that cheap I won't care if I smash it skating or it gets fried by a magnet at work.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: November 01, 2023, 07:58:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
Was thinking €50.. Christmas is just around the corner etc,and if it's that cheap I won't care if I smash it skating or it gets fried by a magnet at work.
okay in that case the timex will serve you well, I’m sure you’ll see sales pop up all the time!

Serahman

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1010 on: November 01, 2023, 11:58:35 PM »
Hey there! I'm definitely into watches, and it's not about the brand or price tag; it's the connection and style they bring. I own a Seiko diver's watch that's my everyday companion. It's all about the personal touch, right? Moreover, you can get a loan using it (check this out). What's on your wrist?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 04:00:14 PM by Serahman »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1011 on: November 02, 2023, 02:00:47 AM »
I just ordered a Casio F-91W-1Y. €20 with free shipping. Will do till after Christmas sales.

Thinking more about it, I wonder how resistant higher end watches are to strong magnetic fields? I've fried so many bank cards at work it's not funny. Would hate to destroy a €500 watch.

green

• Rep: 12
    • ig avatar image
« Reply #1012 on: November 02, 2023, 03:38:30 AM »
I just ordered a Casio F-91W-1Y. €20 with free shipping. Will do till after Christmas sales.

Thinking more about it, I wonder how resistant higher end watches are to strong magnetic fields? I've fried so many bank cards at work it's not funny. Would hate to destroy a €500 watch.

Some of the biggest names in high end watches make specialized antimagnetic options – Grand Seiko has a couple models rated at 500 Gauss

Sinn EZM-12 (1000G)

Then there's the Rolex Milgauss (1000G)

and my personal favorite, the IWC Ingenieur, developed for scientists, 1000G

But under the $500 mark, you can look for older Seiko Dolce and Majesta series, which are generally rated to 60G

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1013 on: November 02, 2023, 06:14:08 AM »
Nice overview there @green
But yeah, when you start thinking about antimagnetic properties you should really just go Sinn all the way, those things are waaaay overspecced!!! 

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #1014 on: November 02, 2023, 06:31:41 AM »
How much does watch repair for an automatic watch cost? Is it worth doing on a lower end watch? I’ve got this Seiko where the winding weight thing started not fully engaging with the spring and now the weight doesn’t always swing freely - something it clearly wrong with the engagement of the pieces.

I always liked the way this watch looked but it wasn’t the most accurate timekeeper and needed to be worn every day to keep running.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1015 on: November 02, 2023, 12:18:23 PM »
@green thank you, but you also just opened up a wormhole of stuff lol. Just read the Rolex Milgauss was made at a request from lads at CERN.
I come in contact with strong magnetic fields at my work (hence the fried bank cards)...don't care about a €20 watch but if I'm paying close to a mortgage payment I'm gonna start.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1016 on: November 02, 2023, 01:07:22 PM »

WTF do you do for work?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1017 on: November 02, 2023, 04:34:25 PM »
How much does watch repair for an automatic watch cost? Is it worth doing on a lower end watch? I’ve got this Seiko where the winding weight thing started not fully engaging with the spring and now the weight doesn’t always swing freely - something it clearly wrong with the engagement of the pieces.

I always liked the way this watch looked but it wasn’t the most accurate timekeeper and needed to be worn every day to keep running.

great watch, the cream coloured version was my automatic. My watch maker adjusted mine for free, my guess is that the rotor just needs tightening. You can also get it regulated while the case back is open to make it more accurate. But yeah, it doesn’t have a hand winding option so you have to wear it everyday or give it the good ole “Seiko shuffle”

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1018 on: November 02, 2023, 08:23:15 PM »
Sorry, my phone bugged out… trying to delete
In the meantime, this combo is glued to my wrist:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 08:36:29 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »