Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 128777 times)

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1260 on: March 22, 2023, 06:17:31 AM »
is there a difference in kingpin length between forged and cast baseplates?

Been swapping between the two recently out of madness, and i swear my trucks feel looser on the forged plates with the nut adjusted to show the same amount of kingpin as it did on the cast.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1261 on: March 22, 2023, 06:26:10 AM »

Been swapping between the two recently out of madness, and i swear my trucks feel looser on the forged plates with the nut adjusted to show the same amount of kingpin as it did on the cast.

Don't own a set, just guessing: kingpins are probably the same, but since the metal is thinner on the forged more of KP is exposed and it appears longer.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1262 on: March 22, 2023, 07:47:46 AM »
On my 2 pairs of plates they're the same within 1/16"

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1263 on: March 22, 2023, 08:43:12 AM »
Please accept my apologies in advance if this is redundant info, but I'm sharing here for posterity's sake in case such imagery hasn't already been propagated in this here thread.
I pulled the the bushings from a new (as in: not yet compressed) Stage IVs and tossed 'em into the ol' digi-cal.
Here's what we got...

Make with this info what you will, and again, my sorries if this is old news, rewarmed.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

BL0B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #1264 on: March 22, 2023, 12:06:40 PM »

could just be the bushing got mixed up? that'll do it, even turning them a little can make a big diff.

for sure the pivots are closer to the kingpin on stage 4's, idk about height. i would think the stage 11 baseplates would make them more stable, if anything.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1265 on: March 22, 2023, 06:27:27 PM »
Please accept my apologies in advance if this is redundant info, but I'm sharing here for posterity's sake in case such imagery hasn't already been propagated in this here thread.
I pulled the the bushings from a new (as in: not yet compressed) Stage IVs and tossed 'em into the ol' digi-cal.
Here's what we got...

Make with this info what you will, and again, my sorries if this is old news, rewarmed.

Very much appreciated.

Funny thing is that bottom one sitting on the bench already looks somewhat compressed too.

You could go with rounding it up to 15 mm bottom and 12.5 mm top which would make sense.

Total 27.5 mm all up is mighty tall bushings.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #1266 on: March 23, 2023, 07:27:32 AM »
Here's what we got...

Hell yea! thanks man, will update the first post now.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #1267 on: March 23, 2023, 08:35:35 AM »
Being larger bushings, would Ace/Krux bushings fit?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

IpathCats

« Reply #1268 on: March 23, 2023, 10:21:39 AM »
Being larger bushings, would Ace/Krux bushings fit?

People have reported using Ace bushings and enjoying them in the stage 4s

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1269 on: March 23, 2023, 11:30:56 AM »
shout out to dead ringer for the tip on dying white bushings whatever color you want. dyed some white venture bushings dark blue and they look sick, making me want to buy up some ace bushings in different sizes and duros and try out some different colors.

IpathCats

« Reply #1270 on: March 23, 2023, 12:09:07 PM »
shout out to dead ringer for the tip on dying white bushings whatever color you want. dyed some white venture bushings dark blue and they look sick, making me want to buy up some ace bushings in different sizes and duros and try out some different colors.

@Deadringer

Yossi

• Rep: 20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1271 on: March 23, 2023, 01:06:31 PM »
Would the stage 4 hanger work with forged baseplates?

BL0B

« Reply #1272 on: March 23, 2023, 01:28:53 PM »

will it work? yeah.

it's gonna fuck with the geometry/turn/stability. people might like that though, i can't see any benefit except shedding a few grams.

you can put just about any hanger on every baseplate. should you, is the question i ask myself.

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1273 on: March 24, 2023, 03:39:34 AM »

Your welcome bro, it's surprisingly easy isn't it??

Yossi

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1274 on: March 24, 2023, 05:34:58 AM »

will it work? yeah.

it's gonna fuck with the geometry/turn/stability. people might like that though, i can't see any benefit except shedding a few grams.

you can put just about any hanger on every baseplate. should you, is the question i ask myself.
The benefit would be a lower truck, no? 55mm is too tall for me. I still skate stage 10s because of the height. I'm aware any hanger will fit onto any base plate. I wondering if the truck will turn well.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #1275 on: March 24, 2023, 08:33:54 AM »
It won't turn as well as the stage 4 which really negates the whole point.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1276 on: March 24, 2023, 11:40:30 AM »
Expand Quote

will it work? yeah.

[close]
The benefit would be a lower truck, no? 55mm is too tall for me. I still skate stage 10s because of the height. I'm aware any hanger will fit onto any base plate. I wondering if the truck will turn well.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think anyone who’s physically measured these has put them at a true 55mm. Everyone seems to be saying they’re closer in height to the forged Indy’s (myself included).

Coach Frank

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1277 on: March 25, 2023, 01:51:19 PM »
Just recently setup some 146 Stage 4's. I swapped the bushings for Ace Stock Mediums, and can honestly say it's one of the best turning trucks I have used. I ride without the bottom bushing washers on all my trucks, so it's set up the exact same aside from my Stage 11's running stock orange bushings. Having said that, I really do love my 149 hollows and don't know if this truck is going to work long term. I am going to ride these for a month or so to see if I enjoy it.

IpathCats

« Reply #1278 on: April 04, 2023, 09:52:35 AM »
Stage 4 riders,

Are you still riding them?

are you still in love with them?

has the novelty worn off?

Is the lack of grind clearance as big of a deal as people thought?

Did these make a meaningful impact to your skateboarding?

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1279 on: April 04, 2023, 11:26:44 AM »
Stage 4 riders,

I love them. The turn is amazing, super deep like an Ace classic but a little more stable due to the bushings firming up (they have relaxed a bit, though). Also like the pop feel of a heavier, higher truck with the axle pushed in...it feels light as in "easy to pop" without being light as in "these trucks are light and if I scoop too hard, my board will flip half way on this dumb pop shuv".

I am a little annoyed with myself for getting 151s and not 146s but otherwise I don't foresee myself skating anything else.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #1280 on: April 04, 2023, 12:19:38 PM »
I'm not, trying to sell my 146's that are barely used. Turning is so good but they are pretty heavy, it's like I'm riding an 8.75 board+trucks. I tried to skate them on the IKP stage 11 plates and there was a lot of wiggle room in the pivot cavity no matter which pivot cups I tried and as a result of everything moving around a lot, it was like the dreaded AF1 washer clicking but even worse. I can't skate them with the stage 4 baseplates, there is zero kingpin clearance and I know I'm gonna start hanging up a lot once they get ground down. Just sticking with my AF1 44's on some stage 7 baseplates with OG Krux kingpins. It has been working fine and the turning is still nuts.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #1281 on: April 04, 2023, 12:39:48 PM »
Stage 4 riders,

I had a solid session on mine, but I switched out to black Indy bushings.

I’m going to at least ride them a few more times to determine if I’ll stick with them, but so far so great.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #1282 on: April 04, 2023, 12:50:23 PM »
Stage 4 riders,

I'm still in love with mine. I've switched out the bottom stock red bushings to my red indy after market ones. I'd still like it to be a bit firmer.  I don't tiktak for anything now. I'd been doing this weird thing with my front suvs where I'd land them supper shitty. That's totally gone now.  That's almost worth it on it's own. I haven't done fakie hardflips in years but for some reason now that's all I want to do on these. It just feels right. I even started skating the quarters again.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #1283 on: April 04, 2023, 01:09:28 PM »
Stage 4 riders,

still skating them, I’ve had them in my board since they came out in late February. they are very fun trucks to skate, but I always go back to stage 11 forges hollow. gonna keep a pair of radial 55mm spits on these stage 4’s, and just go back and forth between those and stage 11 with 52mm classic spits.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

BL0B

« Reply #1284 on: April 04, 2023, 02:15:38 PM »
still skating them, would keep skating them if they brought out hollows, titaniums. wouldn't mind some stage 9 type weight relief to the baseplate either. yeah, i know stage 9 baseplates cracked a lot.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1285 on: April 04, 2023, 06:14:25 PM »
Stage 4 riders,

I like them, but they aren't so entirely different from Stage 11s to me that I could choose either or.

The deeper carve is definitely nice, but I set my trucks medium loose (if that makes any sense) so I don't really need the extra carve the trucks give.

I think the kingpin clearance is overstated, Indy never had the best kingpin clearance and I found no difference in clearance between Stage 4 and 11 when doing Smith grinds. Visually, the clearance between both is very similar.

The weight doesn't bother me at all, but honestly I'm used to heavy set ups.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #1286 on: April 04, 2023, 08:39:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Stage 4 riders,

[close]

I like them, but they aren't so entirely different from Stage 11s to me that I could choose either or.

I don't find that my Ace AF-1s are really so different from Stage 11s, so I can see how Stage IVs would be the same way. The XI were supposed to be a blend of Stage III/IV and Stage VIII/IX, which I think they accomplish pretty perfectly, hence their popularity and staying power.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #1287 on: April 05, 2023, 06:23:31 AM »
Thanks for the replies stage 4'ers.

My gear impulsivity isnt nearly as bad as it used to be, so idk if i'll ever try these, would def ask to step on someones board if i saw them in the wild though.

I know they're gonna be too heavy for my regular setup, and i dont really NEED to replace the AF1's on my bigger cruiser with these.

Maybe I really am growing up?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 137
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1288 on: April 05, 2023, 06:54:29 AM »
Friends, how do you stop your bushings/pivot cups from squeaking? Drives me insane and while wax works the squeak always comes back.

IpathCats

« Reply #1289 on: April 05, 2023, 07:17:15 AM »
Friends, how do you stop your bushings/pivot cups from squeaking? Drives me insane and while wax works the squeak always comes back.

Riptide pivot cups help

I clean my pivot cups and bushings and use the lightest possible layer of motor oil.

Though i've been told that motor oil can be bad for these parts, i've never had an issue.

basically just clean and lubricate.

A dry lubricant would probably work best.

The issue with was is that it breaks down quickly and makes the squeaking return 10X.