Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309192 times)

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
Re: bikes
« Reply #3390 on: August 27, 2023, 11:01:52 AM »
^ looks nice

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3391 on: August 27, 2023, 11:53:02 AM »
Stepped into the e-bike world after doing road bikes. It's pretty fun and will replace my car

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-sl-4-0-eq/p/216533?color=348487-216533&searchText=93922-5303

Looks good. I am getting rid of a car, and we will be a one-car household which is fine for us, but I have been thinking of getting some kind of e-cargo bike to fill the gap.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3392 on: August 27, 2023, 12:33:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Stepped into the e-bike world after doing road bikes. It's pretty fun and will replace my car

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-sl-4-0-eq/p/216533?color=348487-216533&searchText=93922-5303
[close]

Looks good. I am getting rid of a car, and we will be a one-car household which is fine for us, but I have been thinking of getting some kind of e-cargo bike to fill the gap.

I do weekly grocery picks on mine, I can replace probably half of my car trips on my bike

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3393 on: August 28, 2023, 09:53:25 PM »

Sick one! Actually have a browser tab open to this bike right now, as I was in a discussion about the new Santa Cruz Skitch and what it's up against. Your bike here is half the price, and it'll rip. Congrats!
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

c. 1995

• Rep: 31
« Reply #3394 on: August 29, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »
Went bikepacking solo for the first time. Lots to learn from, but I'd say I went prepared with enough supplies.

Cancelled my intended route due to difficulty and physical safety (heat exhaustion sucks) but still made the trip work. Definitely would go again but on a much easier route.

Nice! Last month I also did my first bike camping outing. Did it in a familiar area and it was a great time sleeping in the woods at the end of the day instead of taking the train back home. Planning to do some more when it cools off a bit here.

Mr. Pickles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #3395 on: August 29, 2023, 02:26:35 PM »
Thoughts on the brooks b17? I need a new saddle and I’ve had brooks, but the rubber c17 with the cutout. I really liked them for comfort but they ruined my pants since I’m not riding in Lycra. I’m not worried about it last 100 years or it being waterproof, I’m just worried about my dick falling asleep.

I’m coming from a $60 selle italia novus.

Also looking at these Ergon saddles.

Any input is appreciated. I know they’re basically the goat saddle but I’d like to hear some differing opinions.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3396 on: August 29, 2023, 02:49:58 PM »
Thoughts on the brooks b17? I need a new saddle and I’ve had brooks, but the rubber c17 with the cutout. I really liked them for comfort but they ruined my pants since I’m not riding in Lycra. I’m not worried about it last 100 years or it being waterproof, I’m just worried about my dick falling asleep.

I’m coming from a $60 selle italia novus.

Also looking at these Ergon saddles.

Any input is appreciated. I know they’re basically the goat saddle but I’d like to hear some differing opinions.

If you're willing to break it in properly and treat the leather regularly, then they're supposed to be great. For me, just wasn't worth the time and investment. However, the caveat is I never broke one in from brand new, I only rode other peoples saddles/used ones, so in theory it was molded to someone else's pelvis. Leather can also transfer dye sometimes which will also destroy your pants (or make it look like you shit yourself).

If you are committed to leather, I had a Selle Anatomica that I absolutely loved and didn't require any break in for me, but that was just my experience. YMMV.

As with all saddles, everything is so personal but that's been my experience. I currently have a Brooks Cambium C17 on a commuter that I love.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3397 on: August 29, 2023, 07:21:22 PM »
I'm pro B-17, but Brooks quality isn't what it used to be, so you gotta make sure find a good one these days. If you want a "perfect" leather saddle, look at Bethoud.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3398 on: August 29, 2023, 07:30:16 PM »
@yourbreakfsat

where were you camping? in some ways it reminds me of areas around the lost coast of humboldt county, california, which i've bike camped extensively, but it looks further south.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3399 on: August 30, 2023, 05:42:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's a great option.
If you got any questions about making the switch, let me know

Sick one! Actually have a browser tab open to this bike right now, as I was in a discussion about the new Santa Cruz Skitch and what it's up against. Your bike here is half the price, and it'll rip. Congrats!

Looking at that santa cruz bike now.
Funny how similar it looks and has similar stats.

I got mine on sale for $2,700 which definitely seems like a come up.
holler if you got any questions about it

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3400 on: August 31, 2023, 08:30:35 AM »
@yourbreakfsat

where were you camping? in some ways it reminds me of areas around the lost coast of humboldt county, california, which i've bike camped extensively, but it looks further south.

Spot on! Haypress campsite near Sausalito, took the trails instead of the main streets.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #3401 on: September 06, 2023, 03:03:59 AM »
after being a long distance UL hiker for a decade i've decided to take on another hobby that i will inevitably deep dive into and drive my wife crazy with....bikepacking.

i found a Poseidon Redwood flat bar on FB Marketplace for $350 that some college kid bought and rode around campus for a semester, absolute score 

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #3402 on: September 06, 2023, 05:15:51 AM »
after being a long distance UL hiker for a decade i've decided to take on another hobby that i will inevitably deep dive into and drive my wife crazy with....bikepacking.

i found a Poseidon Redwood flat bar on FB Marketplace for $350 that some college kid bought and rode around campus for a semester, absolute score

I’ll explain to your wife why you need a Rohloff hub.

https://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/speedhub-variations

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3403 on: September 06, 2023, 07:41:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'll never forget when a customer of mine who had given up the lease to his apartment, put all his belongings into storage, and was leaving from his front door to ride across the world had the hub shell of his brand new Rohloff crack a few miles from home.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3404 on: September 06, 2023, 07:43:10 AM »

I've done very little backpacking, but nearly all my "bikepacking" gear is just UL stuff I crammed into bicycle bags. I always figure I could make the more to backpacking pretty easily if I only had a decent backpack.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #3405 on: September 06, 2023, 08:27:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'll never forget when a customer of mine who had given up the lease to his apartment, put all his belongings into storage, and was leaving from his front door to ride across the world had the hub shell of his brand new Rohloff crack a few miles from home.

That’s funny cause the guy I was talking to through work is about to retire and just placed an order on a $4,700 Prospector.

https://tumbleweed.cc/products/prospector

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3406 on: September 06, 2023, 10:16:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

We do a bike with the Rohloff E-14 and imo it's more trouble than it's worth.

I understand people have good experiences with them and in the best scenario they're pretty bombproof, but I've never understood people doing long haul bikepacking and not understanding it's a lot easier to find a 9 speed chain or basic shimano derailleur in rural wherever than some of this super high end shit.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3407 on: September 06, 2023, 10:38:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s funny cause the guy I was talking to through work is about to retire and just placed an order on a $4,700 Prospector.

$4700 with BB7s? Ouch

323-BALM

« Reply #3408 on: September 06, 2023, 11:36:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I understand people have good experiences with them and in the best scenario they're pretty bombproof, but I've never understood people doing long haul bikepacking and not understanding it's a lot easier to find a 9 speed chain or basic shimano derailleur in rural wherever than some of this super high end shit.

expecting people who want to ride a bike around the world to suddenly embrace logic? cmon!

that bike actually looks cool, can't lie...drop bars are fried for anything but being aero, I'd fully get on this fatbike wheelie machine if I had to ride to costa rica tomorrow.

323-BALM

« Reply #3409 on: September 06, 2023, 11:43:58 AM »

what is it, mainly? The idea that you'll never touch it? (and, if so, is that borne out by real world experience?)

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3410 on: September 06, 2023, 11:50:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

One of the only dudes I know who actually pulled this off did so on an old Cannondale mountain bike he salvaged from a dumpster and built up with 8 speed Shimano Deore components. It turns out you can buy an 8-speed chain and 26" tubes and tire basically anywhere in the world.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3411 on: September 07, 2023, 11:37:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

One of the only dudes I know who actually pulled this off did so on an old Cannondale mountain bike he salvaged from a dumpster and built up with 8 speed Shimano Deore components. It turns out you can buy an 8-speed chain and 26" tubes and tire basically anywhere in the world.

Word. Most of the people I’ve met doing super long tours used the same recipe. Shit IS gonna break, that’s just the way it is, best make it easy to fix.

323-BALM

« Reply #3412 on: September 12, 2023, 01:20:59 PM »
saw https://velo.outsideonline.com/gravel/gravel-racing/lachlan-morton-completes-tour-divide-route-in-12-days-12-hours-and-21-minutes/ and thought of you guys...can't imagine a worse way to spend two weeks, but there ya go. I have a friend who can pedal a bike for 16 hours a day, days on end. I don't fully get it. Those guys will eat sticks of butter and chili dogs or whatever. I do kind of get that.

I'm mostly into that Sub 24hour Overnighter (S24O) bikepacking, where you ride a few miles, set up a good camp, chill for a night, and get back home by the next night. I like those.

I have all day to ride dirt tomorrow, and I'm going to do so. Brakes are bled, outfit's laid out on the bed, bike is clean and ready. Very hyped. 

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3413 on: September 12, 2023, 01:32:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

$4700 with BB7s? Ouch
Lol.

I ended up selling my full suspension bike and traded one crust for another. I feel like I came up in the trade.

Rode my karate monkey 50 miles on Sunday. I guess that’s my “bikepacking” bike.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
« Reply #3414 on: September 12, 2023, 01:42:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

while not a global tour, a buddy of mine went solo back and forth, pacific-atlantic-pacific, on a LHT with a full panniers and a dynamo. prior to that he did baja to seattle on a bike very similar to that dumpster bike you mentioned.

anyways, busted out the steamroller for the first time in a long time and had fun cruising around town. gotta get a front brake
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

leftwrightcenter

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3415 on: September 23, 2023, 05:59:00 AM »
Late last year a friend of mine suggested we take a train up to SF and ride the coast back home to LA, camping along the way. Although 500 miles pales in comparison to some of the rides discussed in this thread, it will be our longest ride to date. Planning to complete it in 7 days if all goes smoothly.

Once we got news of the fires in Lahaina, we both decided that it would be appropriate to use this ride to raise some money for those affected in West Maui. We both have friends there, and family of friends, who have lost everything.

I made a GoFundMe yesterday, which I'm planning to share around over the next three weeks. One hundred percent of donations will go directly to families in Lahaina; we are using @lahaina_ohana_venmo and @helpmauirise to help distribute whatever we receive.

Even sharing this with others in the bike community would help a lot. Any donations deeply appreciated.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cycling-sf-to-la-for-maui-relief

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #3416 on: September 23, 2023, 08:14:20 AM »
a pal just completed the Silk Road endurance race on an Ominium cargo bike.  Anything is possible.

323-BALM

« Reply #3417 on: September 26, 2023, 10:31:25 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/7sg5RF2

cool views, multi-use trails are a trip though

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3418 on: October 02, 2023, 04:27:14 PM »
My knee has been bugging me a bit and so I've been riding around and just like skating, a block away from my house, I hit the smallest divot of a pot hole and I guess maybe I braked with my front and back?  Went over the bars and first thing that hit was the top of my head perfectly on the concrete, and then rolled over onto my back. 

A nice little reminder of why I wear a helmet biking...and not skating....I've hit pretty much the same pothole, same hill and on a board...I just got road rash.....bike: piledriver off the top rope....

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3419 on: October 02, 2023, 06:21:10 PM »
My knee has been bugging me a bit and so I've been riding around and just like skating, a block away from my house, I hit the smallest divot of a pot hole and I guess maybe I braked with my front and back?  Went over the bars and first thing that hit was the top of my head perfectly on the concrete, and then rolled over onto my back. 

A nice little reminder of why I wear a helmet biking...and not skating....I've hit pretty much the same pothole, same hill and on a board...I just got road rash.....bike: piledriver off the top rope....

Other than a fractured ankle, all of my serious and lingering injuries are from riding and racing bikes.