Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309192 times)

breezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -16
Re: bikes
« Reply #3540 on: January 02, 2024, 08:35:19 AM »
EBike above is 26', and my previous analogue cargo bike was running 26'.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 50
« Reply #3541 on: January 02, 2024, 09:34:45 AM »
Girlfriend got me a Huffy mountain bike for Xmas. Used to ride fixie up till about 10 years ago but I know nothing about mountain bikes. Took it out for a ride and love that I don't have to drive to the neighborhood skatepark anymore. Looking forward to getting on some trails this year

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3542 on: January 02, 2024, 10:46:17 AM »
I'm sure it's regional, but I'm in the bike-mad PNW and any folding bead 26" tire is a special order, unless you're ready to pay a boutique retailer $120 for Rene Herse.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

trash

• Rep: 15
« Reply #3543 on: January 03, 2024, 07:40:45 AM »
I'm sure it's regional, but I'm in the bike-mad PNW and any folding bead 26" tire is a special order, unless you're ready to pay a boutique retailer $120 for Rene Herse.

Ha, yeah what kind of idiot would do that!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3544 on: January 04, 2024, 10:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha, yeah what kind of idiot would do that!

I just tossed out some ancient Compass Switchback Hill after the sidewalls finally alarmed me enough.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
« Reply #3545 on: January 04, 2024, 11:44:57 AM »
Anyone ever service the bearings in MKS GR 9 pedals?

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3546 on: January 04, 2024, 04:58:22 PM »
A while back I posted about my stolen gravel bike. Since then I took the advice here about getting an old 26" MTB to replace it and love the results. Probably put a biiit too much money into it after you factor in racks and accessories, but it still comes in well under the price of replacing the stolen Marin, and it's as fun to ride if not more.
Hoping to take it out on a camping trip at some point too and get into bike packing.
As for parts and particularly tires - no issues in Melbourne and seems like every skater in the city is rocking an old 26" right now.
2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3547 on: January 04, 2024, 08:21:37 PM »

I have. It's reasonably straightforward, however when I finished one pedal felt buttery smooth and the other felt like I packed it with gravel. Never figured out where I went wrong....

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3548 on: January 05, 2024, 06:57:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have. It's reasonably straightforward, however when I finished one pedal felt buttery smooth and the other felt like I packed it with gravel. Never figured out where I went wrong....

The story of every pedal rebuild I ever attempted.

breezer

« Reply #3549 on: January 07, 2024, 10:29:41 AM »
I took my pedals apart to grease 'em........never got either back together successfully, a riddle wrapped in an enigma. 

breezer

« Reply #3550 on: January 14, 2024, 06:17:37 AM »
nice wee film about a pals adventures riding the Silk Road endurance race on an Omnium cargo bike - I guess Alan just likes to do things the hard way:

https://youtu.be/2sKHrrrYTJU?si=2z4w2VPHM_JBvO1L

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #3551 on: January 14, 2024, 06:50:05 AM »
you know allan? we worked on the road together in NYC when he was passing through and i plugged him with a spot to stay in philly. cool ass mf, hella posi. hella scottish too lmao

breezer

« Reply #3552 on: January 14, 2024, 10:28:14 AM »
yeh man, we aint close buds though, more like friend of a friend.......he's always up to exciting shit

TelethonJohn

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3553 on: January 16, 2024, 04:31:36 PM »
Never heard of this dude but to see him whipping through those berms on an omnium gets me psyched!

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #3554 on: January 17, 2024, 06:42:25 PM »

I’ve done it with GR 10.  As others have said it’s reasonably straightforward.  Would recommend a thin-walled metric socket for the cone nut.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #3555 on: January 20, 2024, 05:38:11 AM »
My old Fuji frame was run over by a Yukon burning out of a Wendy's parking lot in Salinas, California. The fork always creaked loudly after that when putting down power or out of the saddle, but I still stupidly rode it, even though I was fearful it was going to spontaneously combust.

So I bought a new frame for stupid cheap and just finished transferring parts:

The fork didn't give me a lot of confidence, so I took an old Cannondale fork, stripped it, and painted it to match. Stripping carbon fiber was a fun project.

May the full-sized SUVs stay far away from all of us in 2024  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #3556 on: January 23, 2024, 04:26:42 PM »

I’ve been going to the local velodrome lately and it rules. Was renting a bike there but found this for pretty cheap so it’s nice to have something of my own. It’s also inspired me to get in shape and get a fitness coach and all that because it really feels like my body is breaking down lately

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3557 on: January 23, 2024, 04:58:47 PM »

I’ve been going to the local velodrome lately and it rules. Was renting a bike there but found this for pretty cheap so it’s nice to have something of my own. It’s also inspired me to get in shape and get a fitness coach and all that because it really feels like my body is breaking down lately

Riding on the track is the best. Remember, rubbing is racing!

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #3558 on: February 29, 2024, 06:33:51 AM »
Back to 90's hardtail mtb's anyone know if Scott was a decent brand back in the early 90's?

breezer

« Reply #3559 on: March 01, 2024, 06:45:09 AM »
Scott was decent

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #3560 on: March 01, 2024, 07:50:48 AM »
they're still decent

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3561 on: March 01, 2024, 08:30:55 AM »
Pulled the trigger, 1992 Scott Montana, €60 and pretty mint for 32 years old like. The seat post slid down thou on my on the ride back. Gonna get rid of the quick release stuff ASAP and defo plastic bmx pedals. Then a skate carrier.

For the quick release the seat is simple but anyone got any pointers for the wheels?

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #3562 on: March 01, 2024, 10:20:19 AM »
Pulled the trigger, 1992 Scott Montana, €60 and pretty mint for 32 years old like. The seat post slid down thou on my on the ride back. Gonna get rid of the quick release stuff ASAP and defo plastic bmx pedals. Then a skate carrier.

For the quick release the seat is simple but anyone got any pointers for the wheels?
you can swap the qr skewers for bolt on skewers that use hex keys to tighten

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3563 on: March 01, 2024, 12:32:49 PM »
Why is the quick release stuff garbage?

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3564 on: March 01, 2024, 01:01:31 PM »

Sometimes the seatpost qr's just don't hold.  The wheels are just for theft prevention.  I assume.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3565 on: March 01, 2024, 03:16:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sometimes the seatpost qr's just don't hold.  The wheels are just for theft prevention.  I assume.

Not garage but the seat post did slip and like any city too easy to steal.

@apport cheers, will look into it!

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #3566 on: March 01, 2024, 06:05:20 PM »
make sure your seatpost collar isn't stretched btw. overtightening that shit too much forces it together which pulls the seat tube out of shape. you can always shim it with a piece of a coke can and it'll work fine either way, i just wouldnt be suprised if the QR skewer isn't the issue

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3567 on: March 02, 2024, 06:14:26 AM »
make sure your seatpost collar isn't stretched btw. overtightening that shit too much forces it together which pulls the seat tube out of shape. you can always shim it with a piece of a coke can and it'll work fine either way, i just wouldnt be suprised if the QR skewer isn't the issue

Cheers dude. I think I didn't tighten it enough, dude that sold me the bike was way taller than me.

I passed my local this morn to get a deck for a mate who told me last night she wants to learn to skate, and the owner told me he has a fairdale carrier for me, just needs a strap! Stoked! Anyone got any DIY ideas for making a strap?

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3568 on: March 02, 2024, 04:06:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cheers dude. I think I didn't tighten it enough, dude that sold me the bike was way taller than me.

I passed my local this morn to get a deck for a mate who told me last night she wants to learn to skate, and the owner told me he has a fairdale carrier for me, just needs a strap! Stoked! Anyone got any DIY ideas for making a strap?
Hey, that’s sick. Not sure exactly how it’s supposed to sit, but an old bike tube is always a good and simple strap solution imo.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3569 on: March 04, 2024, 04:02:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Hey, that’s sick. Not sure exactly how it’s supposed to sit, but an old bike tube is always a good and simple strap solution imo.

also the replacement strap is $8

https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/collections/fairdale-skaterack/products/fairdale-skaterack-bungee-strap
good come sausage