Author Topic: R.I.P Supra  (Read 536719 times)

silvertone_spacemachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 63
Re: R.I.P Supra
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2019, 01:52:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
why would KSWISS buy brands just to sink them.....didn't they look at the numbers of units & sales figures prior.

You're dumb, You're dumbies
[close]
You should probably read a bit - let's say something about investment bankers, like Bain Capital for starters. Then go to your local Ross or Marshalls and look at all the Sean John, Rocawear, FUBU type shit and think about how it went from high end to highly discounted. Big companies buy small companies and try to maximize profits by cutting corners on everything. When the business starts to fail, they run up the credit as high as possible, put that money in their own pockets and then close it down. Toys R Us was a good example.
[close]

And exactly the same happens with bands in the music industry (in which I know my way in)

For example:

Step 1
One genre is popular > 5 bands are really putting in work and are getting pretty decent > recordlabel has an eye on all 5 bands > after a while two bands really start to excell, while the other 3 bands are getting there.

Step 2
The recordlabel signs all 5 bands > lets them record an album > puts all marketing on the two 'excelling bands'

Step 3
So the other 3 bands have a deal. But in the end they won't sell enough records. That's because they never got the right amount of promo. And that was intentionally done so all along.

Step 4
They get dropped or shelved for not selling enough

Why do labels do that?
That's to make money and cut down 'competition' from 'other labels'.

How?
Another recordlabel could have signed one of those other 3 bands and could have 'marketed' the sh*t out of them. That would mean competition for the two 'top bands'. But now that recordlabel 'owns' all 5 bands that 'competition' is eliminated.

That's how fucked up the world is, and happens each and every day...

^ this exactly

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1148
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2019, 05:44:00 PM »
Expand Quote
I used to work at an e-commerce company that, right up until a few months before I started, was run like the third-generation family business it was. Shortly before I came on board, it was purchased by a capital investment company that had also purchased Supra.

This investment company worked in sort of the same way that house flippers do - they bought a company with potential, pumped in a bunch of money, allowing them to expand, and then sold them on at a profit when the time was right. This was the investment company that eventually sold Supra to K-Swiss, if I remember correctly.

When I started at that job, there were less than 100 employees in the whole company, between R&D, marketing, photography, the product teams, customer service, sales, and the warehouse. By the time I left three years later, the company had, by my estimation, tripled in size, bought three other companies in the same industry, and expanded the building we worked in twice after buying the truck depot next door and tearing it down.

We'd have quarterly "town hall" meetings hosted over lunch in a large open area of the building, where the CEO and management team would talk to us about how the company was doing and show us pie charts and graphs while we stuffed our faces with free food. That's probably exactly how this layoff meeting happened.

I have zero doubts that Supra had 200 employees, and it was, unfortunately, probably too bloated to perform at a sustained high level. I feel bad not only for the employees, but for the pro riders as well. I hope those guys get picked up fast.

Somewhat related: everyone at my company got a free pair of Supras when the capital investment company bought them...a month or so before I started. Everyone in the office but me had fresh skate shoes.
[close]

Gnarly and fascinating. Great post fella. Corporate culture is no joke and I'm at my first "big company" job and some days I'm just like, "What on earth is going on and what the fuck are these people talking about?"
The funny thing is that, by being the only person in the office without Supras, you inadvertently ended up being the most fashionable.

Let’s circle back and close the loop on this one.  I’m going to reach out about interfacing on some growth opportunities and really drill down about empowering you to value-engineer your day.  We’ll touch base tomorrow.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Shalom Iginla

« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »
I don't have a dog in this race, but every pair of Emericas I've ever owned have lasted quite a while. I don't think the corpo shoes are really that much different in quality.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2019, 06:00:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I used to work at an e-commerce company that, right up until a few months before I started, was run like the third-generation family business it was. Shortly before I came on board, it was purchased by a capital investment company that had also purchased Supra.

This investment company worked in sort of the same way that house flippers do - they bought a company with potential, pumped in a bunch of money, allowing them to expand, and then sold them on at a profit when the time was right. This was the investment company that eventually sold Supra to K-Swiss, if I remember correctly.

When I started at that job, there were less than 100 employees in the whole company, between R&D, marketing, photography, the product teams, customer service, sales, and the warehouse. By the time I left three years later, the company had, by my estimation, tripled in size, bought three other companies in the same industry, and expanded the building we worked in twice after buying the truck depot next door and tearing it down.

We'd have quarterly "town hall" meetings hosted over lunch in a large open area of the building, where the CEO and management team would talk to us about how the company was doing and show us pie charts and graphs while we stuffed our faces with free food. That's probably exactly how this layoff meeting happened.

I have zero doubts that Supra had 200 employees, and it was, unfortunately, probably too bloated to perform at a sustained high level. I feel bad not only for the employees, but for the pro riders as well. I hope those guys get picked up fast.

Somewhat related: everyone at my company got a free pair of Supras when the capital investment company bought them...a month or so before I started. Everyone in the office but me had fresh skate shoes.
[close]

Gnarly and fascinating. Great post fella. Corporate culture is no joke and I'm at my first "big company" job and some days I'm just like, "What on earth is going on and what the fuck are these people talking about?"
The funny thing is that, by being the only person in the office without Supras, you inadvertently ended up being the most fashionable.
[close]

Let’s circle back and close the loop on this one.  I’m going to reach out about interfacing on some growth opportunities and really drill down about empowering you to value-engineer your day.  We’ll touch base tomorrow.

I too would like to dialogue with you about utilizing resources. Skype lunch on Thursday?

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2019, 06:09:03 PM »
i had a few pairs of those ellington midtops. awesome shoe
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2019, 06:11:58 PM »

Which model and size , holmes?
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2019, 06:35:54 PM »
Expand Quote
I just feel bad for spencer.
[close]

Spenny is the one who matters in this, the Primitive thing/ his output should help get him on something. He and maybe Greco will be the only ones who land beyond flow i bet.

edit: maybe Penny, Muska as well. Whoever said Es should scoop Muska, Penny, Spenny i agree is a great idea, doubt they can afford two certified legends and a top pro though.
Spenny and Penny to Adidas, and just Muska to eS would be ideal imo, just so they can rerelease his classic pro model.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

uncool old fart

• Rep: 18
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2019, 07:05:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I too would like to dialogue with you about utilizing resources. Skype lunch on Thursday?

Thank you both for executing on those initiatives.

(I'm so happy to be out of the corporate world.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 07:22:06 PM by uncool old fart »
At this point, I think I’ve seen Bam’s penis more than my own.

Glurmpz

« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2019, 07:11:45 PM »

I'm skating those right now. Great shoe. Kind of soft, almost like a slipper, but they look dope and skate well. Got 2 pairs of the cream/gum.

Shalom Iginla

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2019, 07:41:39 PM »
Tbh kinda considering picking up a few pairs of Supras. Who has opinions on what their best cupsole is? And how do they fit, I'm wearing Cons Slip ons rn size 13 and they fit pretty much perfectly.

squintharder

« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2019, 08:07:59 PM »
oh no what will skateboarding do without supra

Soft Boiled

• Rep: 21
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2019, 01:39:39 AM »
They spent too much time and money on Steve Aoki, now they’re dead.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2019, 01:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote
That's not how I interpret "lunch compliments of Kswiss." I can't imagine corporate US staff, 200+ people eating lunch together at the same time, they would need a huge cafeteria at corporate, which is weird af. Factory workers in China or wherever the shoes are made eating at the same time makes a lot more sense. If they're made in China, they could be producing out of a different country to avoid tariffs.
[close]

Christ man I think you're reading too much into the wording. It's a post on a message board not an official press release. I got more bad news for you, a little bird didn't actually ever so gently tell him the news either. Sorry.

right? i was skeptical at first when he said it landed on his window sill, birds like trees and things of that nature. but a bird speaking and having inside news about the demise of supra? that's just preposterous.

and their social media is still active

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2019, 03:15:11 AM »
is there any actual evidence of this other than heresay?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2019, 05:43:43 AM »
Why was Lizard King promoting his shoe so heavily yesterday if Supras done? Trying to get rid of stock before it's completely finished?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2019, 07:17:32 AM »
Why was Lizard King promoting his shoe so heavily yesterday if Supras done? Trying to get rid of stock before it's completely finished?
Answered your own question.

Freight Train

« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »
The stack of shoes Lizard did tricks over at the Berrics was actually his last 25 pairs

Sativa Lung

« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2019, 08:27:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That's not how I interpret "lunch compliments of Kswiss." I can't imagine corporate US staff, 200+ people eating lunch together at the same time, they would need a huge cafeteria at corporate, which is weird af. Factory workers in China or wherever the shoes are made eating at the same time makes a lot more sense. If they're made in China, they could be producing out of a different country to avoid tariffs.
[close]

Christ man I think you're reading too much into the wording. It's a post on a message board not an official press release. I got more bad news for you, a little bird didn't actually ever so gently tell him the news either. Sorry.
[close]

right? i was skeptical at first when he said it landed on his window sill, birds like trees and things of that nature. but a bird speaking and having inside news about the demise of supra? that's just preposterous.

and their social media is still active

What is your goal with being an asshole to somebody online?

Pissedoff30y/oskatedad

• Rep: -57
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2019, 08:58:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just feel bad for spencer.
[close]

Spenny is the one who matters in this, the Primitive thing/ his output should help get him on something. He and maybe Greco will be the only ones who land beyond flow i bet.

edit: maybe Penny, Muska as well. Whoever said Es should scoop Muska, Penny, Spenny i agree is a great idea, doubt they can afford two certified legends and a top pro though.
[close]
Spenny and Penny to Adidas, and just Muska to eS would be ideal imo, just so they can rerelease his classic pro model.

Muska to Adidas so that he can do the pro shoe he always wanted with the shell toe. Penny to Three stripes too thats a no brainer... eS is lost at this point

Uknowmyinsta

• Rep: -387
  • Your brain has no facts.
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2019, 09:11:02 AM »
Tremendous amount of stupid in here. 

Anyone on team 200 employees, should temp ban themselves.  Take some time to think.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »
Huf - 193 employees, as per https://www.linkedin.com/company/huf

Sole Tech - 255 employees, as per https://www.linkedin.com/company/sole-technology

But yeah, Supra having 200 employees, totally ridiculous and unprecedented.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Sativa Lung

« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2019, 09:30:36 AM »

Sole Tech - 255 employees, as per https://www.linkedin.com/company/sole-technology

HOLY FUCK What is the fucking agenda with clowning on people who are unaware that stupid action sports brands have x amount of employees??????? Fuck you're such a weirdo!!!

You didn't log in to LinkedIn to verify all their employees? Fucking idiot, there's flow skaters on there and dead accounts.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:36:13 AM by Sativa Lung »

Uknowmyinsta

« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2019, 09:38:30 AM »

Did you not just set precedence with the first two lines?   Even thought Sole Tech has four companies.

And yet NB# has 20-ish.   

handplant circle

« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
Other than the flow of cash from street wear dorks wearing skytops.....I don't see how it lasted this long.

Those shoes were stupid ridiculous looking. 

Jacob Gary

« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2019, 10:54:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you not just set precedence with the first two lines?   Even thought Sole Tech has four companies.

And yet NB# has 20-ish.   

NB# reaches skate only, Supra reaches skate and lifestyle.

Comparing all of NB to supra would have made more sense.

Uknowmyinsta

« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2019, 11:08:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

And yet NB# has 20-ish.   
[close]

That doesn't make any sense to me.  You could compare to NB to K-swiss, but why would you.

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
A little bird flew upon my windowsill and ever so gently mentioned to me that, sadly, Supra is to be no longer.

200 + employees informed of their immediate termination during lunch compliments of KSwiss. Highly vexing and very unfortunate.

Shut the fuck up for trying to sound superior to this situation, you either got proof or you don’t

Jacob Gary

« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

And yet NB# has 20-ish.   
[close]

[close]

That doesn't make any sense to me.  You could compare to NB to K-swiss, but why would you.

I'm just saying that if you're comparing the two, you are only comparing a division of new balance to the entirety of supra.

Supra focuses on more than skateboarding so it would make sense that they have more employees than new balance.

Numeric also doesn't have to deal with all of the manufacturing the same way supra does so really their total number of employees would just be team, media, and designer most likely.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

HOLY FUCK What is the fucking agenda with clowning on people who are unaware that stupid action sports brands have x amount of employees??????? Fuck you're such a weirdo!!!

You didn't log in to LinkedIn to verify all their employees? Fucking idiot, there's flow skaters on there and dead accounts.
You okay, man? What is your goal when you're an asshole to someone online?

For the record, I don't really care either way how many people Supra employed, I just think it's hilarious that you were so awestruck by the idea of a company employing two hundred people and gathering them together in one room for an important announcement.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Sativa Lung

« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »
A little bird flew upon my windowsill and ever so gently mentioned to me that, sadly, Supra is to be no longer.

200 + employees informed of their immediate termination during lunch compliments of KSwiss. Highly vexing and very unfortunate.

Hey tell your birdy to fly back, ask the bird to shed some light. How is Supra still operating with the immediate termination of 200+ employees?