Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 145975 times)

kickbacktail (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Meathook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 78
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1560 on: September 25, 2023, 04:22:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just setup some lightly used 147 lights with fresh white 90a bushings to replace some 5.2 lows.  Feels right to be back on them and I’m wondering why I keep leaving in the first place.
[close]

i go back and forth between 147s and 5.2 lo’s, frequently.
what do you like about 147s more?
i like 5.2 lo’s more, i think. i’ve never done a good comparison, on the same deck.
why do you like more?
[close]

I’ve been skating them on the same 8” deck and the thunders to me just feel more stable while turning better at the same time.  I feel much more confident bombing a hill on 147’s than the 5.2 lows, not sure why.

Pop and trick wise they are very similar but I think overall I’m just more used to Thunder timing.  The extra 1-2mm of height helps too.  I’m picky about truck height and these seem to be my sweet spot.

Also with the new thunder team baseplate design, I can run a ikp pretty easily so I look forward to doing that to have a low truck with good kp clearance.
[close]

thanks

do you use the same size wheels on both? my biggest drawback with both of these trucks: i’ve never  ‘successfully’ (very relative), ridden larger than 52s.

the kingpin clearance is bad, on both.

pop wise, my kickflips are better with 147s, ollie’s and everything else better with the ventures.

i like 151s, 149s. i don’t like to skate larger boards as much anymore, as the particulars get too precious for me. i have some 148 lights, and those ….trip me out. i’ve been giving them the side eye, like an ex drunk gazing at an unopened bottle on a tall shelf, that is there for ‘decorative’ reasons: the 148s are too big for the 8s and below i like to ride, but those damn things just seem to ‘work’, on whatever. i’ve set them up on wildly different boards, with very different wheels, and no problems.
but i persist in just liking 147s and lo’s.
well now i feel better, thanks

I’ve also tried all the sizes up to 151.  Was on 149 the longest, which I would run 56 classics on w/o risers and somehow be ok.  Did that for years.

Sizing down to >8.25 boards has made me appreciate 8” trucks with a slightly wider board.  It’s what I learned all my tricks on and spent the most time practicing on before sizing up.

53 is what I can max out with 147 and 5.2 low but I ride them a bit tighter.  It hurts me to push Bones product, but x-formula wheels have really made skating smaller wheels a lot more comfortable.

Both great trucks and they look the best.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #1561 on: September 25, 2023, 04:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just setup some lightly used 147 lights with fresh white 90a bushings to replace some 5.2 lows.  Feels right to be back on them and I’m wondering why I keep leaving in the first place.
[close]

i go back and forth between 147s and 5.2 lo’s, frequently.
what do you like about 147s more?
i like 5.2 lo’s more, i think. i’ve never done a good comparison, on the same deck.
why do you like more?
[close]

I’ve been skating them on the same 8” deck and the thunders to me just feel more stable while turning better at the same time.  I feel much more confident bombing a hill on 147’s than the 5.2 lows, not sure why.

Pop and trick wise they are very similar but I think overall I’m just more used to Thunder timing.  The extra 1-2mm of height helps too.  I’m picky about truck height and these seem to be my sweet spot.

Also with the new thunder team baseplate design, I can run a ikp pretty easily so I look forward to doing that to have a low truck with good kp clearance.
[close]

thanks

do you use the same size wheels on both? my biggest drawback with both of these trucks: i’ve never  ‘successfully’ (very relative), ridden larger than 52s.

the kingpin clearance is bad, on both.

pop wise, my kickflips are better with 147s, ollie’s and everything else better with the ventures.

i like 151s, 149s. i don’t like to skate larger boards as much anymore, as the particulars get too precious for me. i have some 148 lights, and those ….trip me out. i’ve been giving them the side eye, like an ex drunk gazing at an unopened bottle on a tall shelf, that is there for ‘decorative’ reasons: the 148s are too big for the 8s and below i like to ride, but those damn things just seem to ‘work’, on whatever. i’ve set them up on wildly different boards, with very different wheels, and no problems.
but i persist in just liking 147s and lo’s.
well now i feel better, thanks
[close]

I’ve also tried all the sizes up to 151.  Was on 149 the longest, which I would run 56 classics on w/o risers and somehow be ok.  Did that for years.

Sizing down to >8.25 boards has made me appreciate 8” trucks with a slightly wider board.  It’s what I learned all my tricks on and spent the most time practicing on before sizing up.

53 is what I can max out with 147 and 5.2 low but I ride them a bit tighter.  It hurts me to push Bones product, but x-formula wheels have really made skating smaller wheels a lot more comfortable.

Both great trucks and they look the best.

they do look the best (both trucks).

i’ve been slow to try the x-formula, cuz i’m a bit of a follower and they just don’t seem cool. a lot of a follower. some 52s that could roll over wack ground be a hit

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1562 on: September 25, 2023, 09:16:02 PM »
how do the x formulas help?  just smoother/faster?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1563 on: September 26, 2023, 04:20:19 AM »

Interesting in hearing this also from someone who skates 99a f4's

I'm going to be trying 148's with the forged plate and I'm curious.

Meathook

« Reply #1564 on: September 26, 2023, 06:16:04 AM »

I’m riding an x99 52mm and speed-wise on normal asphalt or concrete is comparable to the 55-56 FF’s I used to ride, but somehow less rattly.

I was riding 52mm classic 99a right before switching which were barely rolling on some crusty spots I skate.  The x99 even in 52 smooth out the crust so well. 

Since I can’t really go up in wheel size due to 147, they are definitely a game changer if you spend more time out of the skatepark than in it.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1565 on: September 26, 2023, 09:49:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m riding an x99 52mm and speed-wise on normal asphalt or concrete is comparable to the 55-56 FF’s I used to ride, but somehow less rattly.

I was riding 52mm classic 99a right before switching which were barely rolling on some crusty spots I skate.  The x99 even in 52 smooth out the crust so well. 

Since I can’t really go up in wheel size due to 147, they are definitely a game changer if you spend more time out of the skatepark than in it.

What about powerslides/ Tricks where you're sliding your wheels? Lip/Tailslides/blunts

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1566 on: September 26, 2023, 05:18:15 PM »
i can understand it....unless you're Vincent Alvarez....small wheels on crust or even just pushing around in the streets doesn't work.  At least with an x formula, it takes the edge off and makes it more manageable. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1567 on: September 26, 2023, 06:14:44 PM »
i can understand it....unless you're Vincent Alvarez....small wheels on crust or even just pushing around in the streets doesn't work.  At least with an x formula, it takes the edge off and makes it more manageable.

i dunno. i mean for mortals yes, but there’s been a fair amount of folks that have gotten down on smaller wheels, off the top: puleo, eldridge, daewon, ishod, gt, busenitz, wray
first three are in that 50 range, last four were around 52 for more than a minute, and maybe all have since sized up.
pro’s don’t count kinda. but lots and lots of the skating i hold dear, happened on 52 and smaller, and some of it was on some ‘cutty’ looking spots.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1568 on: September 26, 2023, 10:42:49 PM »
I’m just trying to see and validate other people’s perspectives…….

I’ll stop….

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1569 on: September 27, 2023, 06:55:55 AM »
Any of you guys skate 151s? Most people i see in the wild who use thunders skate smaller sizes, 147-149. I am going to get 151s for my egg setup and i think because they are so wide they will feel like a really nice balance of stability + turning, where some times i find myself wanting just that little bit more carve on the skinny 148 thunders i am using.

was thinking of even dropping down to 149 for the 9.125" egg to shave off more weight but after looking it up it seems like the difference in weight is super negligable, so might as well stick with what works (Franky's setup with the 54mm conical fulls) and get the turning i want. Could always switch to classics for more tilt + shave off more weight but i acutally think i want more weight to help push through crust a bit better too (paired with the conical fulls).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1570 on: September 27, 2023, 09:28:30 AM »
Any of you guys skate 151s? Most people i see in the wild who use thunders skate smaller sizes, 147-149. I am going to get 151s for my egg setup and i think because they are so wide they will feel like a really nice balance of stability + turning, where some times i find myself wanting just that little bit more carve on the skinny 148 thunders i am using.

was thinking of even dropping down to 149 for the 9.125" egg to shave off more weight but after looking it up it seems like the difference in weight is super negligable, so might as well stick with what works (Franky's setup with the 54mm conical fulls) and get the turning i want. Could always switch to classics for more tilt + shave off more weight but i acutally think i want more weight to help push through crust a bit better too (paired with the conical fulls).

i’ve skated 151s, and they are nice.
i just don’t have any reason to skate trucks that big. it ends up being too gimmicky, for me. they look sick. but the benefits of trucks wider than 8”, aren’t really there for me.
148s/149s are both great trucks. liked them more than any other brand, in those sizes.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 859
« Reply #1571 on: September 27, 2023, 11:06:25 AM »

Yes. I usually skate Ace but I always have a set of 151s on hand for the reasons you just stated. Its a beautifully balanced truck, width to height to weight. I've skated them on 8.5" popsicles up to the sweatpants shape. I have to use 1/8" risers with them but I think that just  enhances their turn.

ridethegutter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #1572 on: September 27, 2023, 11:35:59 AM »
I have some 151 hollow lights on an 8.8 deck. They feel so nice. I did have to swap out the stock clear blue bushings. Those things suck ball sack.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #1573 on: September 27, 2023, 09:12:18 PM »

I use 149s TIs on the 9" Quasi Egg.. 2 washers on the inside of the wheels for that tiny extra width.. I do hv 151s on Franky primitive egg

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1574 on: September 28, 2023, 08:15:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I use 149s TIs on the 9" Quasi Egg.. 2 washers on the inside of the wheels for that tiny extra width.. I do hv 151s on Franky primitive egg

nice! which one do you like more?

boofactory

• Rep: 24
« Reply #1575 on: September 28, 2023, 06:15:47 PM »
I’ve grinded into both of my kingpins to the point of both the axle nuts getting to that fused point on my 147 hollows. The kingpins are grinding down flush, if anything the kingpin peaks out a few mm past the axle. It’s been catching on some ledge tricks and slappies, throwing me off from time to time lately. What do yo do when your trucks gets to this point?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1576 on: September 28, 2023, 07:04:33 PM »
I’ve grinded into both of my kingpins to the point of both the axle nuts getting to that fused point on my 147 hollows. The kingpins are grinding down flush, if anything the kingpin peaks out a few mm past the axle. It’s been catching on some ledge tricks and slappies, throwing me off from time to time lately. What do yo do when your trucks gets to this point?

you a lie

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1577 on: September 28, 2023, 07:52:25 PM »

I’ve done enough grinds that my kingpin nut has worn away and I’m grinding on just the hollow kingpin for feebles/smiths. Since it’s a harder material it sometimes digs in and doesn’t like to grind. I just put some wax on it and it seems to work just fine
fuck you bama

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1578 on: September 28, 2023, 11:13:07 PM »

It depends how far you want to go or what you have available to you, but angle grinding down the kingpin is the main thing I would do on a board with the kingpin sticking up too much.

If that means the kingpin nut can't fit on, I would also trim down the top bushing, or get a low bushing to use on trucks that are that far down, so I could still get the nut on nicely, as well as still having the trucks turn / tightness the same as I had it before too.

So tools you would need include an angle grinder and a sharp knife, often a kitchen knife to cut the bushings, which for both you do need a bit of patience and work out how to do it best, otherwise you could make a mess of it and be left with bushings that are cut too much or kingpin that you can't work with.

I have done this many times over and I got fairly used to it, but I would definitely urge caution and go very easy with both, just cutting a single mm from the lower part of the top bushing, as well as using the grinder gently so as not to cook the bushings, which can happen if you are going too hard on the kingpin.

Anyway, that is the best solution I have used that others have tried and had success with, so I can send you clips / links and more info if you need, or see if anyone else can help too, before going down that road.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

boofactory

• Rep: 24
« Reply #1579 on: September 29, 2023, 03:31:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I have an angle grinder kicking around and might go that route

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 100
« Reply #1580 on: October 03, 2023, 02:28:31 AM »
I have been riding ace classics for the last ten years and want to switch it up. Since i never rode thunders before i want to try out those. Usually i ride 44s with 8.25 -8.5 and hard bushings. Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I enjoy the turn on the aces and do lots of grinds. Are titaniums worth it? Is the extra height on team hollows beneficial for the turn? Kinda overwhelmed over here.

Since the axle of a 44 is 8.35" which thunder should i go with? 148 or 149?

Meathook

« Reply #1581 on: October 03, 2023, 05:22:43 AM »
I lean towards wider deck and narrower trucks, so I would go 148 but you won’t notice much of a difference between 148-149.

I wouldn’t go for TI, they’re really really light and coming from ace they may throw you off.  The regular team thunders are going to be a lot lighter than your aces, if you want to shed some weight go for the lights or hollow lights and save the money over Ti.

The turn is not Ace, it is fast and twitchy and not very surfy.  Best to stick with the stock bushings and break them in or get some harder thunder aftermarket’s.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1582 on: October 03, 2023, 05:27:11 AM »
I have been riding ace classics for the last ten years and want to switch it up. Since i never rode thunders before i want to try out those. Usually i ride 44s with 8.25 -8.5 and hard bushings. Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I enjoy the turn on the aces and do lots of grinds. Are titaniums worth it? Is the extra height on team hollows beneficial for the turn? Kinda overwhelmed over here.

I would recommend 148 team hollows with some aftermarket bushings. Also, since it lengthens the wheelbase, you may want to try decks with a shorter wheelbase than you normally ride, if flip tricks feel slower on Thunders. Turn is good and they grind better than Ventures (in my opinion).

Someone else can chime in on titaniums. I have at least four sets of Thunders to go through before I try the titaniums. Height is also something I can’t comment on because I use risers on all my boards.

I switched from Indy to Thunder ten years ago because of Busenitz/Gerwer, and being weirded out by the iron cross after watching Nazi documentaries. I keep coming back to Thunder every time I try different brands.

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1583 on: October 03, 2023, 05:55:00 AM »

148 standard with the team plates. Team editions, whatever. I haven’t  fucked with the hollows but going from ace to thunder you’ll likely already notice a change in weight.

I will say I ran ace classic 44s and the hockey/fa 8.38 shape for like 4-5 years, then switched to thunder and could not make that work. But I loved how the thunders skated on every other deck I had and am eagerly waiting to skate this pair of 148s after I blow through these ventures

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1584 on: October 03, 2023, 11:47:42 AM »

151 teams are my jam! Best truck ever.

I rock them with no risers and I ride 54-55mm conical full wheels. They’re stable, turn well, and grind great. They perform exactly how I want. I skate an 8.5 popsicle. I love having slightly wider trucks than my board, and on a 9.125 egg, you’ll likely be in the same boat. I fully recommend it.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1585 on: October 03, 2023, 01:06:33 PM »
I had some 147s way back then. ~10 years ago I think and broke a lot of kingpins back then. Since then I am on Indy 144s Forged Hollows. Sometimes the Indy's feel a bit difficult to pop and get height. Now I am thinking about trying some 148 Thunders. But not sure if they will improve my skating (make the pop feel easier and make me skate like I am 20 again) or if it is all in my head.

Ya all like Forged or Cast Baseplates on Thunders?

Cast would give a bit more area for Nose/Tailslides, but some people say the baseplates are bad for those slides. Which doesn't make sense when I look at Ishod. But he is Ishod and would probably be able to Kickflip Backtail Bigspin out on a Krooked Beamer.
And what's the wheelbase like on Thunders?

Is this already gear madness?

I should get my ass out there and skate instead of asking questions.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 01:25:09 PM by fs1/2cab »
IG: @flowterspace

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1586 on: October 03, 2023, 05:23:34 PM »
I had some 147s way back then. ~10 years ago I think and broke a lot of kingpins back then. Since then I am on Indy 144s Forged Hollows. Sometimes the Indy's feel a bit difficult to pop and get height. Now I am thinking about trying some 148 Thunders. But not sure if they will improve my skating (make the pop feel easier and make me skate like I am 20 again) or if it is all in my head.

Cast would give a bit more area for Nose/Tailslides, but some people say the baseplates are bad for those slides. Which doesn't make sense when I look at Ishod. But he is Ishod and would probably be able to Kickflip Backtail Bigspin out on a Krooked Beamer.

just getting out and skating is the best.

thunder 148s are really good.
i like both forged and cast baseplate thunders.
less turn, better/more consistent pop, more wheelbite, than indy.

i think if i had to recommend one truck, for most people, 148s would be the one. although thunders have a little less turning radius before wheelbite, so some folks might prefer something else for transition.
148s are great.

diplodocus

• Rep: 162
  • long neck
« Reply #1587 on: October 03, 2023, 05:38:04 PM »
Back on Thunders after 3-4 years on Aces. Skated thunder before ace. I went from the AF-1 Hollows to the Thunder Team Hollows. Here are things I noticed:

- Pinch way better on rails, ledges, transition
- Pop is snappier, quicker. All my flat feels way better.
- Don't mind the wide arcing Thunder turning, I actually quite like it and how it rebounds to center. Stable as fuck, but stil responsive.
- How light they are, flips easier, takes less energy.

As i'm getting older, I think thunders just make more sense. Less cumulative energy usage over the duration of a long session and less effort put into trying to flip a heavy ass set up. I think gifted hater said skate aces just makes things harder for yourself. I'm inclined to agree.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1588 on: October 03, 2023, 06:08:46 PM »

Indys are heavier. You can either deal, or you can't.

148 thunders are the bees knees. Forged or Cast is up to your preferred wheels size (forged are 51mm Cast are 52mm - I know, whoopdie fucking doo, 1 mm) and how tight you ride. Forged feel different, and are lighter than, cast. Team Hollows or Hollow Lights are super light too (the Ti versions are insanely light).

Some people have issue with the plates, but that's based on their technique (you either jam the plate into the ledge/slide with wheels or you sit on your tail leveraging the boards fingers of flat, I do the latter; no one on here is good enough to justify either ;) if thunders are good enough for suciu, foy, ishod, o'niel, nygal, they're good enough for us peasants.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 10:31:08 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1589 on: October 03, 2023, 08:55:53 PM »
Thunder 148 go with a great range of decks- widths, wheelbases, kicks- they work on almost anything well. I've had them on 8.1/14.1 up to 8.5/14.5 (lotsa washers), on PS and BBS, and on all sorts of wheels. My plates have tons of slide marks so I make it work somehow. Definitely my home base while I explore other stuff.

A lot of people I know ride their Aces fairly cranked and I just don't get it. They will talk about the turn being great but then tighten them to where they feel more or less like any other truck. I can see the appeal of em but I wouldn't consider them a middle ground truck like a Thunder.