Author Topic: New Krooked Beamer 'Evil Bird'  (Read 11903 times)

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 131
Re: New Krooked Beamer 'Evil Bird'
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2023, 11:53:00 AM »
Damn you are selling me on them. I have to move in a month so I’m trying to curb my spending but I really want to try one out now haha.

Really appreciate the links everyone. I had the first Beemer drop with the Gonz 215s and Classic 60s that I never set up and I wound up having to sell it when I was hard up for money. I had kinda given up on one but it's nice to know that a few of them stick around in shops these days.

More people need to experience the joy that Gonz bestowed upon us... I'm already dusting off some of the esoteric tricks I haven't done since the last time I had a Beamer lol

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy1mEHWAikL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2023, 01:31:27 PM »

Just set mine up yesterday.
It took me about 6 tries to flip it, but I can’t wait to take it to a ramp or the park.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2023, 01:42:32 PM »
Man I sure what fiesty in this old days.  Never even posted my set up when I got one back in that run I was after.  Such a fun ironing board.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2023, 03:15:08 PM »
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Krooked_Pure_Evil_Bird_Beamer_2_Deck/descpage-KDPEBBDK.html

I just got paid and I’m fighting the urge to splurge.
Someone buy this before I do.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

sbr

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2023, 05:00:23 PM »
First time at the local on the new setup and I’m in love with it hahaha. The AF1 80’s feel WORLDS better than the 215’s felt on my old Bird Beamer.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy4YUTzpPae/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Small man, big board...

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2023, 06:42:40 PM »
really hope ACE hurries up with some 80's hollows!!!!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2023, 10:47:04 PM »
First time at the local on the new setup and I’m in love with it hahaha. The AF1 80’s feel WORLDS better than the 215’s felt on my old Bird Beamer.

Loving the "Gonz rock" as some people have called it after seeing him do them in his more recent videos.  I guess they often don't watch many big bowl / vert / old ramp videos though, with everyone doing it the "right way" with the fully curled back foot, but whatever you want to call it, the big long board highlights that trick and others well.

The funny thing is the rock n roll was really more just a set up trick for Gonz and those guys.

Anyway, that other tail block slide on your home quarter was mighty fine as well.

Board is way too big for me, when I had a go on one a while back, but I can see how much fun people can have on them, especially the width of the truck for things like smith grinds.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2023, 10:47:41 PM »

Back Beamer smith 👏🏼

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2023, 05:27:46 AM »
Yeah if you’re gonna skate em like that you can buy as many as you want

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2023, 07:22:11 AM »
I hate Slap - so expensive to be on here lol.  I actually just found one so I had to get it.  @sbr's videos sold me on it.  So it looks like Ace is the way to go for trucks.  What wheels is everyone running?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2023, 07:48:25 AM »
Agreed! Krooked should flow you some. RIPPING @sbr

sbr

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2023, 08:06:59 AM »
Loving the "Gonz rock" as some people have called it after seeing him do them in his more recent videos.  I guess they often don't watch many big bowl / vert / old ramp videos though, with everyone doing it the "right way" with the fully curled back foot, but whatever you want to call it, the big long board highlights that trick and others well.

The funny thing is the rock n roll was really more just a set up trick for Gonz and those guys.

Anyway, that other tail block slide on your home quarter was mighty fine as well.

Board is way too big for me, when I had a go on one a while back, but I can see how much fun people can have on them, especially the width of the truck for things like smith grinds.

So the odd thing for me is the Beamer "makes sense" and I can skate it more comfortably than most boards even though I'm on the shorter side at 5'6". With my handicap, I feel way more stable on it and the beam actually keeps my front foot from migrating around which I have not had the luxury of feeling in years. I think the overall shape lends to my trick selection so that also may be a contributing factor as to why I feel so at home on it.

A friend of mine is 6'3" and looks WAY more proportionate on it, but when he took a lap on mine last night he was confused as to how I'm so comfortable on it. He picked one up as well and is waiting on trucks, but said as much fun as it is he'd never be able to daily drive it (and he's someone who skates 8.75"-10" boards regularly).

At the moment, I'm sold on the Beamer being my dominant setup for the foreseeable future.

Back Beamer smith 👏🏼

Monty grinds > everything else

I appreciate that lol

I hate Slap - so expensive to be on here lol.  I actually just found one so I had to get it.  @sbr's videos sold me on it.  So it looks like Ace is the way to go for trucks.  What wheels is everyone running?

I'm on 99a F4 Conical Full 58's. If you go below a 58mm wheel they end up looking TINY by scale lol

Agreed! Krooked should flow you some. RIPPING @sbr

Y'all are going to make me blush. I'd gladly take a few more to keep the party going since I'm living my best life on this thing lol
Small man, big board...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2023, 08:28:27 AM »
Funny, I was looking at some Monty Nolder footage last night and he had the best sweepers... You should sweep the beamer SBR.

Thebird

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2023, 08:31:24 AM »
Conical full 58s.  Sounds like a winner.  Thanks!  Can't wait to get all of the parts for this.  Like building a car, only better.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2023, 08:40:51 AM »
Conical full 58s.  Sounds like a winner.  Thanks!  Can't wait to get all of the parts for this.  Like building a car, only better.

Way less things going wrong randomly haha
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

sbr

« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2023, 09:21:25 AM »
Funny, I was looking at some Monty Nolder footage last night and he had the best sweepers... You should sweep the beamer SBR.

I'll try and get some sweeper variations at the bowl tomorrow morning and post them on IG. I haven't done a block clean up on this thing yet (sweeper to tail block) so maybe I can get a clip of that as well lol
Small man, big board...

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2023, 09:27:19 AM »
Little do we know that @sbr gets a piece of every beemer sold in the US....

I already have a set of 215s sitting on my desk waiting for a zogger and some 56 classics (also courtesy of sbr). However, all this chat is really making me itch to set up the beemer I have in the stash. I bought it on a whim and sort of decided it was a bit too weird for me, but now.... Skateboarding is supposed to be about having fun right?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2023, 09:36:46 AM »
I see them popping up in more shops. Perhaps DLX intentionally staggered the release so more people get a chance to snag one?
 I'm getting more tempted by the minute. I'd likely sleep with it for a few months and then set it up with some 80s in the Spring....

sbr

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2023, 10:30:08 AM »

I already have a set of 215s sitting on my desk waiting for a zogger and some 56 classics (also courtesy of sbr). However, all this chat is really making me itch to set up the beemer I have in the stash. I bought it on a whim and sort of decided it was a bit too weird for me, but now.... Skateboarding is supposed to be about having fun right?

Man, I wish hahaha. I'm just on a campaign to get people to actually skate these things because they're so damn fun and deserve to see action and not just slowly warp & waste away hanging on a wall. The 6-8 months I spent looking for one at retail to replace my first one only to have people hardball me made me even more determined to stock up myself and try to spread the word to get as many on the streets as I can once this drop happened. I'd gladly wall-hang a hand-painted one from Gonz, but the production model ones deserve to be skated... Gunna start a nonprofit to re-home Beamers and return them to the streets lol
Small man, big board...

Thebird

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2023, 10:32:18 AM »
I see where this is going........this is the new Huffer thread!

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2023, 10:37:31 AM »
Expand Quote

As fun as my old one was on 215's, this thing is siiiiick with the AF1 80's
[close]

What a beauty
Agreed: and having it poured into the end of your driveway… NGL, I’m a lickle jelly.
The Krooked deck also looks nice, but that tail block is the real thing stealing any thunder from that lovely concrete quarter. 😉

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2023, 10:41:11 AM »

Oh OH... I just loaded up my car with two Huffers to go check out a new park. But I have a Beamer in an online cart. If its still there when I get back I might have to pull the trigger.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2023, 11:00:53 AM »

I had this same thought. Nothing will ever replace the huffer for me though....

sbr

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2023, 12:01:22 PM »
Two shitty quality iPhone video grabs from my lunch roll to stoke everyone out...

Small man, big board...

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 110
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2023, 12:27:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man, I wish hahaha. I'm just on a campaign to get people to actually skate these things because they're so damn fun and deserve to see action and not just slowly warp & waste away hanging on a wall. The 6-8 months I spent looking for one at retail to replace my first one only to have people hardball me made me even more determined to stock up myself and try to spread the word to get as many on the streets as I can once this drop happened. I'd gladly wall-hang a hand-painted one from Gonz, but the production model ones deserve to be skated... Gunna start a nonprofit to re-home Beamers and return them to the streets lol

Ripping sbr! Seriously good stuff. I'm picking up a Beamer from a buddy next week and I plan to skate it regularly.

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2023, 01:11:29 PM »
Two quality iPhone video grabs from my lunch roll to stoke everyone out...

interested iyo on the Shmoo Slips and Aloha's, i've never seen anyone comment on either and you're coming from a lot of the same styles in Vans i've been wearing, vulc's. i don't think i'd skate Aloha's but i wanted some, do they run TTS?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 02:09:51 PM by BL0B »

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2023, 03:49:50 PM »
Two shitty quality iPhone video grabs from my lunch roll to stoke everyone out...

!!!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Thebird

« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2023, 04:21:22 PM »
Keep the pics coming @sbr!  I'm fired up to get this set up now!

sbr

« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2023, 05:19:06 PM »
Ripping sbr! Seriously good stuff. I'm picking up a Beamer from a buddy next week and I plan to skate it regularly.
Cheers! And right on! I'm stoked to see more people setting them up to skate. My friend set his up tonight so I'll see if I can get some clips or photos of him tomorrow when we hit the bowl.

interested iyo on the Shmoo Slips and Aloha's, i've never seen anyone comment on either and you're coming from a lot of the same styles in Vans i've been wearing, vulc's. i don't think i'd skate Aloha's but i wanted some, do they run TTS?

I've been dealing with foot issues for years now with Hallux Limitus and partial numbness from nerve damage in both feet. Finding shoes that work for me has been a massive pain... I'll always wind up having rub spots that I don't immediately notice due to the numbness and then before I know it it turns into blisters or corns. I've wanted to fully ditch Vans for some time now due to how bad their consistency has gotten, but when I got a "good pair" they'd work for me with very few issues when most other shoes would not work at all.

A friend is a designer for Adidas and suggested I try the Shmoofoil slips & the Alohas and I think I've finally found shoes that not only "work", but are actually comfortable. I need a slightly wider toe box, prefer a thinner sole for more board feel to compensate for the partial numbness, but at the same time need some impact protection for when I run out of bails... Both pairs check all of the boxes for me.

Shmoofoil Slips: These have a wide enough toe box for me without feeling like my foot is sliding around in the shoe. They are snug, but in a good way... They don't choke my foot, but do not feel like they're going to fly off and I have no "heel lift" in them when I walk. I also don't have any rub spots on the top of my foot or on the side of my pinky toe. It's worth mentioning that I struggle to get my foot into a Vans slip-on these days, but with the Shmoofoils I can slip them on and off with no issue.

Aloha Super: These are the fucking gold standard of shoes for me. They have almost an "unstructured" fit and like the slips they have no pressure points or rub spots that aggravate my feet but I don't feel like they're going to fly off my foot. They're also super lightweight and even though it's a cup sole it's fairly thin so you still get just about the same board feel as the slips (I've only cruised around in them thus far, though). The material selection & quality is also pretty sick and I really like how they look on foot. The biggest thing for me is most shoes have a pressure point right at the top of my first big toe knuckle because I have a bone spur from the arthritic joint, but these do not have any noticeable pressure points for me and when I take my shoes off my feet look way less angry than they do when I was wearing Vans or other brands.

To drive it home, I threw on a pair of my old Lizzies to do yard work today and after 15 minutes had the "man, these things are uncomfortable as fuck" feeling hit me pretty hard. I'd 100% recommend trying either the Alohas or Shmoofoils out. I'm looking forward to skating the Alohas next to see how they stack up to the Shmoofoils since I've been really digging how the slips skate.

!!!
Who, me?!

Keep the pics coming @sbr!  I'm fired up to get this set up now!
I'll do my best lol

Here is a fucked up one I battled today after work…
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy6j8QKp1Eq/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Small man, big board...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2023, 07:12:16 PM »
Appreciate the follow through on the sweep!

Had a great session on my Huffer today in a new bowl, so I'll fight the consumer urge to join the Beamer Cult and leave them all to SBR who deserves them far more than I.