Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 214968 times)

Rumpelnoskin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
    • SkateVideoSite avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2190 on: December 14, 2022, 12:20:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Who does the SkateVideoSite? When you search Beach House, Shane O'Neill's "Shane Goes' part isn't listed, he skates to The Hours off Bloom.
[close]

wanna say it's @Rumpelnoskin iirc?

Expand Quote
Who does the SkateVideoSite? When you search Beach House, Shane O'Neill's "Shane Goes' part isn't listed, he skates to The Hours off Bloom.
[close]
Sorry to say SkateVideoSite has been slipping. In the last few years somebody had a part to a certain song which I caught on Skateline but that part or song is not listed on the site

Yep I'm currently maintaining it.

We always welcome new contributors if you want to help add data to the site. It's hard to keep up with the constant deluge of videos that come out, especially with my limited time.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #2191 on: December 14, 2022, 12:46:23 PM »
My 6 yr old son ask the sudden is asking for a skateboard for Christmas.  Suggestions for complete starter boards?  I might even give some money to element if that’s the answer.  Don’t really want to give him my stack of 8.5 BBS with Aces and Conical fulls at 37 pounds.

Santa Cruz does mini completes. They are birch but I'd imagine they'd be plenty solid for someone who is 37 pounds

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/7-25in-x-27-00in-classic-dot-super-micro-santa-cruz-skateboard-complete?variant=40006132203677

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2192 on: December 14, 2022, 12:50:36 PM »
Minilogo….they have ones with softer wheels like 90a and that worked well for my nephew….

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2193 on: December 14, 2022, 05:00:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My Swiss 6 had blue shields
[close]

No shields on these regrettably. I also can’t seem to find another set of 6 balls around so I can’t even make a comparison. The ones I do have on hand have a nice little recess where the shield would have been and am maybe thinking this is a clue that they’re Swiss.
[close]

maybe this will solve your problem, looks like swiss 6 have a bronze looking retainer. i think most other companies use black so just look for the bronze

https://bonesbearings.com/bones-bearings-6-ball-replacement-retainer-4pk

That would be awesome if we could get those here in AU again.

We used to have all that stuff but it was very limited, shields and replacement parts like that.

Bones seem to have clear backs on all the Reds, Super reds, and lower range, then black or very dark backs on Swiss and similar, looking at these ones I have.

Looking up pics some shops put up close ups of every bearing front and back, which is nice to see.

Eg:

https://luckyskates.com.au/products/bones-super-swiss-6-bearings-16

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2194 on: December 14, 2022, 06:17:09 PM »
Minilogo….they have ones with softer wheels like 90a and that worked well for my nephew….

+1 for ML, softer wheels and very turny trucks are good for groms without the weight and strength.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Banned from the room

« Reply #2195 on: December 14, 2022, 06:19:27 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm crazy confused.

I just paid taxes on my car in May. Why do I gotta pay again? Is it yearly I gotta pay? It hasn't even been a year either.

Second question...

If it is yearly am I going to see two bills from two towns? I registered my car to Salem on the day I paid in May.

This is fucked up. I called they said just pay it.

I don't even want my car.
[close]

Where I live you pay for “tags” which is just a sticker you put on your plate in the corner. But only tax one time.  Since you said 2 towns involved could one town not got the memo you paid tax on your car already?

I'm fixing it tomorrow. Something is a miss for sure.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2196 on: December 15, 2022, 04:28:08 AM »
Expand Quote
My 6 yr old son ask the sudden is asking for a skateboard for Christmas.  Suggestions for complete starter boards?  I might even give some money to element if that’s the answer.  Don’t really want to give him my stack of 8.5 BBS with Aces and Conical fulls at 37 pounds.
[close]

Santa Cruz does mini completes. They are birch but I'd imagine they'd be plenty solid for someone who is 37 pounds

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/7-25in-x-27-00in-classic-dot-super-micro-santa-cruz-skateboard-complete?variant=40006132203677

Santa Cruz completes might be the worst of the completes on the market from legit brands at the moment (wood and trucks just feel wrong). Girl, Chocolate and DGK completes suck too.
I would recommend stuff from Dwindle / Globe. Same budget but way better stuff all around.
They usually have soft wheels on the smaller ones (from 7.0" to 7.5")

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2197 on: December 15, 2022, 11:08:21 AM »
Does the team trucks edition and such performance better than hollows and lights? I think every pure street pro skater use such “heavy” trucks

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #2198 on: December 15, 2022, 11:40:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Santa Cruz completes might be the worst of the completes on the market from legit brands at the moment (wood and trucks just feel wrong). Girl, Chocolate and DGK completes suck too.
I would recommend stuff from Dwindle / Globe. Same budget but way better stuff all around.
They usually have soft wheels on the smaller ones (from 7.0" to 7.5")

As a shop employee I second the recommendation to look at Dwindle: Almost/Blind/Enjoi/Globe. The Tensor trucks feel nice and stable and you can always yield a little more turn by adding a Bones soft bushing ( like I did for my daughter). The wheels are slightly softer than standard so they are a bit smoother but can still slide a little for learning kick turns on transitions. The price is really good too. The Powell and Minilogo completes are my second recommendation but they are a bit heavier than the Dwindle completes which may or may not be a setback when it’s time to get it off the ground, (not just ollies, but kickturns, tic-tacs, and generally just carrying it around). Hope this is helpful and definitely let us know what you got!

IpathCats

« Reply #2199 on: December 15, 2022, 11:48:42 AM »
anyone have experience with these new penny 2's?

eS has been blowing it for a while I know, but im interested in these.

Compare to jordan 1s, dunks, and 1010s if possible since those are the cups i have the most current frame of reference for.

Is is the same sole as the og accels? because those look too chunky for me. but the accel slims were way too slim.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2200 on: December 15, 2022, 12:35:22 PM »
Wanted to confirm that I just got a Frog Nick Michel 8.38 and they heat transferred over an old graphic. The heat transfer quality is abysmal and it is flaking off.

marty mcfly

« Reply #2201 on: December 15, 2022, 01:34:51 PM »
Can someone from the states explain the bussup thing to a European?
Just discovered this insta page and I think it’s pretty funny…is it just another word for sketchy?
Never heard that before

https://instagram.com/bussupbussup?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
  • ow
« Reply #2202 on: December 15, 2022, 01:44:03 PM »
Just discovered this insta page and I think it’s pretty funny…is it just another word for sketchy?
Never heard that before

This basically sums it up ↓
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bussup

"The art of trying to stay on your board after a sketchy trick landing due to irregular surfaces, trick miscalculation, lack of balance, and more.
That landing was bussup."

marty mcfly

« Reply #2203 on: December 15, 2022, 01:53:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Never heard that before

[close]

"The art of trying to stay on your board after a sketchy trick landing due to irregular surfaces, trick miscalculation, lack of balance, and more.

Thanks dude!i skate since 1999 (also watched 411 since 1999) and never heard this term related to skateboarding.that page isn’t bad tho  ;D

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #2204 on: December 15, 2022, 02:11:54 PM »
Hey there.
Whats the difference between the Vans Kyle Walker and the older Vans Kyle Walker Pro shoe ?
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/vans-kyle-walker-pro-schuh-black-white_p110043
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/vans-kyle-walker-schuh-black-white_p145312
I skate the newer ones atm and besides the wierd stiching in the heel that i fixed with blister plaster.. i really like how they skate.
Now i see the "Pro" ones are on sale. Ist there a big difference ?
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2205 on: December 15, 2022, 02:15:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Never heard that before

[close]

[close]

Thanks dude!i skate since 1999 (also watched 411 since 1999) and never heard this term related to skateboarding.that page isn’t bad tho  ;D
oh!
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2206 on: December 15, 2022, 02:16:43 PM »
Do Big Boy jeans actually come in XXL? The Polar site’s size chart only goes to XL, but a few other sites are selling XXL. I’ve never seen bigger than XL.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1343
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2207 on: December 15, 2022, 02:29:11 PM »
Hey there.
Whats the difference between the Vans Kyle Walker and the older Vans Kyle Walker Pro shoe ?
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/vans-kyle-walker-pro-schuh-black-white_p110043
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/vans-kyle-walker-schuh-black-white_p145312
I skate the newer ones atm and besides the wierd stiching in the heel that i fixed with blister plaster.. i really like how they skate.
Now i see the "Pro" ones are on sale. Ist there a big difference ?
Those are the same shoe. Only differences are usually materials in low wear areas. Sometimes they have more or less suede on the side walls. The pair with the solid white midsole are from 2020 and the pair with the black stripe on the midsole are from 2021 but they are both suede up front and on the heel with canvas around the ankle area.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Lepanto

« Reply #2208 on: December 15, 2022, 02:37:16 PM »
Does the team trucks edition and such performance better than hollows and lights? I think every pure street pro skater use such “heavy” trucks

Thoughs?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #2209 on: December 15, 2022, 03:18:13 PM »
I've never tried hollows, cast or any fancy trucks but my dear old mum has sent me some 151 team hollows for Crimbo, so hopefully I can report back.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #2210 on: December 15, 2022, 03:31:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thoughs?

I assume you're talking about Thunder? The "Team" basically just means they have regular cast baseplates. They are a bit heavier, but the reason many people prefer them is more about feel and that they're a couple mm higher. Thunders are low by default, and notorious for wheelbite, so that explains it. They are also not a heavy truck, so I don't see any reason to ride the forged models unless you really want the lowest possible setup, and absolutely love getting pitched.

Lepanto

« Reply #2211 on: December 15, 2022, 11:59:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Thoughs?
[close]

I assume you're talking about Thunder? The "Team" basically just means they have regular cast baseplates. They are a bit heavier, but the reason many people prefer them is more about feel and that they're a couple mm higher. Thunders are low by default, and notorious for wheelbite, so that explains it. They are also not a heavy truck, so I don't see any reason to ride the forged models unless you really want the lowest possible setup, and absolutely love getting pitched.

I mean venture and thunder… but really in general.. meny pure street pro skaters like jeff carlyle… nick matthews… Athans.. and a very long list… almost everybody i mean they dont use hollow or light kingpin… Guess work better fro crusty and grind on crap edges or brings more stability?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2212 on: December 16, 2022, 02:41:24 AM »

Most of the team riders just ride whatever is in the box, which is mostly just the standard / team / basic versions of the trucks more than anything else.  I know some request specific things, the more hollow / light / forged versions being for those guys, but I think it could be a fairly even mix all up.

Seems it is about the same for most team riders for Thunder, Indy, Venture, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2213 on: December 16, 2022, 03:17:55 AM »
Yeah. Not sure why it is that most ride the standard ones. The only ones I can think of riding something else is Hewitt, Servold & Gardner all riding titanium Independents. Surely there are many riding all sorts of hollows all the time but I just haven’t registered. Still, overwhelming majority seems to be on standards and many don’t even know what sizes they’re skating.  :D

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2214 on: December 16, 2022, 08:38:33 AM »
what are some old truck companies that no longer exist?

I remember these vividly:

Orion
Kreper
Phantom
Fury
Tracker
Destructo
Grind King

I seem to remember Titan and Standard? or am I making thoes up? i cant seem to find anything about them online

Destructo's were really popular in my area. I remember everyone hyping up the insane grind clearance on them, but no one was axeling trucks back then in my area lol. so not sure why this was such a selling point for us. I remember I broke the kingpin on them.

Grind Kings were seen as wack as fuck. I had a pair given to me for free and I bent the axle.

Tracker-Hawk were my first trucks and they werent bad I guess but i broke the kingpin on them.

Orion seemed like good trucks to me, I remember them often set up with SEEK boards at the time... there was a squad of older guys who were super hyped on that combination for some reason at my local hockey arena skatepark. NEver tried them. for all i know they are shit. would love to hear about osmeone who rode them.

Fury were my favorite trucks back then. I did have a pair of Indy's and I did like them, I do recall specifically them being increidbly heavy and the axle slipped really badly, but the kingpin lasted on those, and on Fury's (this was between 98-2005 all these trucks I am talking about). They fury's were also dumb heavy but they lasted really long, never managed to break the kingpin on them, I liked the turning on them too. I want to say they were slightly lighter than the indy's still.

Kreper / Phantom were just what emo / goth edgester kids would rock, no one serious would skate those from what i saw. they were super kooky. phantom werent AS BAD as the Kreper's, those were extra gimmicky with the bat shaped baseplate shit. 

Would like to hear other ppl thoughts about trucks from that era or before!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
« Reply #2215 on: December 16, 2022, 09:43:58 AM »
^ phantoms had a wired triangle insert in the front with a little grim reaper looking guy and a built in rubber riser pad. I only ever saw them in highlighter pink, yellow, green or orange so I'm going to say as gimmicky as kre-pers but a different gimmick

Fury's had little hexagonal recess for the mounting nuts so you only needed an Allen key or screwdriver to setup. I remember the pivot being an actual little sphere too

Grind kings (altho they still exist but different) remember the bushings were dogshit and would both completely prolapse of even looked at for too long but they did grind really well. A friend had techo ones I think called Axl and instead of a standard axle it was like a little boomerang or something and the bushings were ribbed.

Monster. Had a really good team but only pair i ever tried was a friends whose were fucked because some dickhead working at the skateshop tightened them so much the nut was actually stuck/broken like an inch down the kingpin.

GM's. Budget trucks. Randomly the brother of the main actor of "Deck Dogz" went to my school and brought his board one day. I rode it for a second and completely bent the axle then his behind the corner and stomped it back and returned his board. Apparently his brother took the board and ate shit and got the blame for bending the axle.

Og tensors. Everything that could ever be said about these has been said but maybe they were the best value for money trucks I ever had. They were my first real trucks and I'd ride them on and off for maybe ten years. They'd live in my backpack and everytime I broke an Indy or venture (which was every other weekend back then) I'd just put the tensors on. I never even thought about them not turning either but I did have 8.5+ board with 7.5 trucks that I rode kinda loose

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #2216 on: December 16, 2022, 09:58:59 AM »

Most of the team riders just ride whatever is in the box, which is mostly just the standard / team / basic versions of the trucks more than anything else.  I know some request specific things, the more hollow / light / forged versions being for those guys, but I think it could be a fairly even mix all up.

Seems it is about the same for most team riders for Thunder, Indy, Venture, etc.

All of the people I know that ride for Indy and Thunder can get whichever version of the trucks they like, unless they are out of stock at the time.
How much for an order of ribs?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #2217 on: December 16, 2022, 10:36:43 AM »
Going to be flying with my board next week: you’re supposed to loosen your hardware to prevent warping etc. during pressure change, yeah?

If so, follow up question is if you can bring a skate tool as a carry on so I can tighten up when I land? Not sure if they think you can shank someone with the screwdriver attachment or whatever.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #2218 on: December 16, 2022, 11:47:32 AM »
Going to be flying with my board next week: you’re supposed to loosen your hardware to prevent warping etc. during pressure change, yeah?

If so, follow up question is if you can bring a skate tool as a carry on so I can tighten up when I land? Not sure if they think you can shank someone with the screwdriver attachment or whatever.

flown with skate tools and had no issue. most trouble i've run into was having to have my board go through the xray machine twice

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2219 on: December 16, 2022, 11:57:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

flown with skate tools and had no issue. most trouble i've run into was having to have my board go through the xray machine twice
Same, always kept it in my backpack.

Also try to carry your board on if you can. I've always gotten away with strapping it to my backpack or carry on duffel bag and having them count it as one item with the bag. The real warping comes from it being in the luggage hold since it not pressurized or temp controlled.