Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 218315 times)

Acid Drop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2670 on: February 28, 2023, 06:01:24 PM »
Is there a hat thread, either hats you own or hats you like or hats your thinking about or hats you just got????
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2671 on: February 28, 2023, 06:05:13 PM »
How long does it take new Swiss bearings to make a sound?

From looking after them (mainly just skating, not cleaning, but also not riding through dirt, water, etc) they will last and not get noisy for a long time, as per some sets on boards I have had going for ages.

Others who skate harder, throw their board around and generally don't care have them sounding (and feeling) dirty and a bit messed up within a month.

That said, normal skating with shields on and not touching them should still keep them going with minimal noise for a while, but if you prefer noisy bearings, you can always pop the shields and let them get dirty.  People who do that usually keep shields on for maybe a month just to let the lube wear in / off and then they are less likely to get dirt caked in them on the first session.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #2672 on: February 28, 2023, 07:05:07 PM »
like 5’7

Surprised by this for some reason, I thought taller.
But yeah, skaters short

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #2673 on: February 28, 2023, 07:40:38 PM »
Expand Quote
like 5’7
[close]

Surprised by this for some reason, I thought taller.
But yeah, skaters short

Average height
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #2674 on: March 01, 2023, 03:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote
How long does it take new Swiss bearings to make a sound?
[close]

Is this like a Buddhist poem?

If a skater lands a trick but nobody is around to witness it, does it still count?

haha, nah, I’m talking about how new bearings give your board that sorta waterlogged sound for the first couple sessions. I’ve had my Swiss’ for a couple weeks and they feel great, but I hate the way my board sounds.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2675 on: March 01, 2023, 08:07:25 AM »
probably not telling you anything you dont already know, i believe that awesome sound comes from when they have dried out, so it would depend on the environment somewhat. will probably take a couple months of normal skating because i think the lube/coating is meant to stay on for awhile.

i have over-lubed bearings many times not realizing its not good but then the moment that thick oil dries up, even the shittiest bearings start to spin really well

there seems to be a "sweet spot" - like my swiss are actually too dry right now from all the salt outside and they are squeaking a bit. i put a tiny drop of speed cream and most are sounding awesome again but some of them need a tiny bit more lube still.

roll_dog

« Reply #2676 on: March 01, 2023, 08:51:28 AM »
I recently cleaned my swiss bearings and learned two drops of speed cream is too much, one in each bearing is plenty.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1591
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2677 on: March 01, 2023, 12:02:02 PM »
Isn’t the method to wipe the shit out of them after you lube them, ie zero residual…..like your bum…

roll_dog

« Reply #2678 on: March 01, 2023, 12:34:52 PM »
Isn’t the method to wipe the shit out of them after you lube them, ie zero residual…..like your bum…

Yeah I suppose you could do that with a microfiber cloth.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2679 on: March 01, 2023, 02:55:03 PM »
Anybody know if theeve titanium kingpins fit into thunder team baseplates? Same length and pins?

Banned from the room

« Reply #2680 on: March 01, 2023, 03:03:09 PM »
How do I transfer my skate stoke to other areas in my life?

jimgrude

• Rep: 71
« Reply #2681 on: March 01, 2023, 03:45:39 PM »
Anybody know if theeve titanium kingpins fit into thunder team baseplates? Same length and pins?

First off, did you mean a kingpin from the Theeve TiHanger? They haven't made titanium kingpins in many years, so unless you have some old TiKing v2's or whatever, they're gonna be regular solid or hollow steel kingpins.

Now, will they fit? Theeve trucks are 52,5mm high, so it may work depending on the hanger you put on them. You might get terrible clearance if the hangers are too low.

What do you mean by "pins"? They're regular kingpins, so they should have the right dimensions to fit most plates. However, I'm not sure how the splines will line up. Maybe someone who has experience replacing thunder kingpins can chime in?

Lastly, why are you doing this? Unless they're the only spares you've got, I don't see the advantage. I personally switch out the Theeve kingpins for actual titanium ones, but good luck finding any of those. Anyways, happy tinkering, and report back!

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #2682 on: March 01, 2023, 04:08:13 PM »

Yell “YEW!” after whatever you do next and see what happens

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2683 on: March 01, 2023, 04:35:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

First off, did you mean a kingpin from the Theeve TiHanger? They haven't made titanium kingpins in many years, so unless you have some old TiKing v2's or whatever, they're gonna be regular solid or hollow steel kingpins.

Now, will they fit? Theeve trucks are 52,5mm high, so it may work depending on the hanger you put on them. You might get terrible clearance if the hangers are too low.

What do you mean by "pins"? They're regular kingpins, so they should have the right dimensions to fit most plates. However, I'm not sure how the splines will line up. Maybe someone who has experience replacing thunder kingpins can chime in?

Lastly, why are you doing this? Unless they're the only spares you've got, I don't see the advantage. I personally switch out the Theeve kingpins for actual titanium ones, but good luck finding any of those. Anyways, happy tinkering, and report back!

I've had these kingpins for over 10 years, definitely titanium and never used. Got them with a free replacement back then.

I totally mixed up the words pins and splines.

Advantage: Light as heck. I'd love to put it in the team baseplate and combine it with a titanium hanger.

I've found multiple online sources claiming thunder kingpins are exactly 2" (5.08 cm) long. Just measured the theeve kingpins and they are 5.2 cm long. Seems manageable on 148+

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1141
« Reply #2684 on: March 01, 2023, 05:50:19 PM »
Where can I buy a pair of those enormous billowing pants those Tightbooth guys wear?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

cheekclapper

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2685 on: March 02, 2023, 03:03:09 PM »
I want to put ace low bushings in my indys but the bottom bushing is 1mm shorter. am I able to put a 1mm washer to keep the geometry?
I’m just trying to offer a differnt perspective I mean do we really need another 8.25-8.75 hipster shitty brand with shit half assed graphics
yes, yes we do

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2686 on: March 02, 2023, 03:36:59 PM »
Where can I buy a pair of those enormous billowing pants those Tightbooth guys wear?
Balloon Slacks:
https://hbx.com/men/brands/tightbooth

I don’t think the official site ships outside of Japan.

jimgrude

• Rep: 71
« Reply #2687 on: March 02, 2023, 04:11:54 PM »
I want to put ace low bushings in my indys but the bottom bushing is 1mm shorter. am I able to put a 1mm washer to keep the geometry?

I dunno, are you?

But yeah, that'll work. You might get clicking if you stack washers. Maybe just put the thickest washer you can find.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2688 on: March 02, 2023, 06:27:53 PM »

instead of buying washers (if you don't already have them) you could just flatten a metal bottle cap or fold aluminium foil a few times until the thickness is right. Had to do that because there are no flat washers with the right kingpin hole size in any shops around here.

Goggzy60

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2689 on: March 04, 2023, 07:31:19 AM »
Is Destructo dead again can’t find any new stock in the UK and Tommy left the brand last year

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #2690 on: March 04, 2023, 08:06:13 AM »
Is Destructo dead again can’t find any new stock in the UK and Tommy left the brand last year

Questions that don’t deserve answers

Goggzy60

« Reply #2691 on: March 04, 2023, 08:31:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There my favourite trucks right now hence the question.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2692 on: March 04, 2023, 01:01:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
You answered your own question indirectly. They’re getting rid of old inventory on the website, but do not ship to U.K. If you really like them, stock up on what you can find. I’m sure shops in EU countries will ship to you, if you can’t find old stock around you.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #2693 on: March 04, 2023, 02:18:47 PM »
If everything in your life would stoke you out like skating does, wouldn't that mean that skating is nothing special anymore? Like whatever...no light without the dark..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Goggzy60

« Reply #2694 on: March 04, 2023, 02:20:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
You answered your own question indirectly. They’re getting rid of old inventory on the website, but do not ship to U.K. If you really like them, stock up on what you can find. I’m sure shops in EU countries will ship to you, if you can’t find old stock around you.

Been hard to get the squadrons here at all EU or UK I ended up using 5.75 D1s but they are still fun trucks.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2257
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2695 on: March 05, 2023, 03:33:33 AM »
You may well be the 1st person I’ve ever heard say “Destructos are my favorite truck.”
No cap.
We like what we like & it am what it be.
Respekt to you, my curious euro counterpart.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2696 on: March 05, 2023, 04:17:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Been hard to get the squadrons here at all EU or UK I ended up using 5.75 D1s but they are still fun trucks.

Skatedeluxe have a load of the D2 mids mate. Not the squadrons but maybe worth a gander

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/destructo-shop

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #2697 on: March 05, 2023, 06:49:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Skatedeluxe have a load of the D2 mids mate. Not the squadrons but maybe worth a gander

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/destructo-shop

Iron Distribution has some in stock also dude

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #2698 on: March 05, 2023, 07:24:11 AM »
the washers that come with bones bushings, i’m assuming i could get at any major hardware store? do they have a specific name or dimensions?

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2699 on: March 05, 2023, 09:10:02 AM »
I break too many decks.
What are cheap decks I get into?

What would you do?

Shops here have Relikk or moose blanks. They suck i guess.